HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predicting who cracks the open roster spots

Old
08-29-2014, 03:34 PM
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Let me point out (again) that everyone who doesn't watch Hartford thinks McIlrath sucks, and everyone who does watch Hartford thinks he's just fine.

Personally I think having McIlrath in the lineup for the playoffs will be crucial to a long run. This team is soft. If we don't add a nutcracker like McIlrath, we will lose in the first or second round.
Is there a strong contingency of board members who emphatically watch Hartford games in addition to Ranger games?

What do they mean by fine?

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyo View Post
Must be tough for step to have to try and win a spot all over again
Actually Kreider is the one who is a rookie-of-the-year candidate year after year after year.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 03:50 PM
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!

Stepan has first line points, but are they true points?

He's a first line center, but is he a true first line center?

It's going to be an interesting camp.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 04:36 PM
peteyo

I was being fecicous guys.. Stepan isn't a elite number one he's still a number one center no one can challenge him for his spot

peteyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop68 View Post
Stepan has first line points, but are they true points?

He's a first line center, but is he a true first line center?
So many tough questions.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
i never said he sucked. Im a big fan of his but i try to be fair. Fans have a right to be a Bit impatient since he was a top 10 pick four years ago. We didnt lose to the kings because of lack of toughness. We just didnt get the puck luck they did. Also refs made very questionable calls against us
And the Rangers were neutralized in the crease against the Kings. Offensively and defensively. McIlrathwill be VERY helpful there.

08-29-2014, 07:03 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop68 View Post
Is there a strong contingency of board members who emphatically watch Hartford games in addition to Ranger games?

What do they mean by fine?
Strong, no, but there are some of us who do catch a reasonable amount of them. I can't say I am personally on record calling Wrath 'fine', but he certainly has progressed but I wouldn't go as far to say he one thing or another. He's still basically a giant question mark. I don't know why he has to be a bust or a lock to be an NHL roster player in the eyes of fans. He's just a prospect who is developing further each season with a reasonable chance to compete for a roster spot in the near future. If that's 'fine' then so be it.

08-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
"I am ... Calling Wrath 'fine'" -Ail

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 07:21 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Let me point out (again) that everyone who doesn't watch Hartford thinks McIlrath sucks, and everyone who does watch Hartford thinks he's just fine.

Personally I think having McIlrath in the lineup for the playoffs will be crucial to a long run. This team is soft. If we don't add a nutcracker like McIlrath, we will lose in the first or second round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
And the Rangers were neutralized in the crease against the Kings. Offensively and defensively. McIlrathwill be VERY helpful there.

again can we see if he can even play in the nhl yet

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 07:27 PM
peteyo

How does every thread turn into a Mcilrath thread....

Old
08-29-2014, 07:30 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
agreed. Miller fast lindberg and hayes are tue names that have the best chance

Old
08-29-2014, 07:35 PM
peteyo

Quote:
agreed. Miller fast lindberg and hayes are tue names that have the best chance
Miller would get my vote for center and Hayes definitely for wing would be interesting to see miller 2c with a couple veteran guys and put brass 3c with mza and Hayes at least to see how it gels for a while

Old
08-29-2014, 07:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Here is the way I see it:

Locks (roster just for conversation):
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
_____-Brassard-MZA
Hagelin-______-MSL
______-Moore-______
______

People fighting for spots who have the highest chance:
Glass
Lombardi
Stempniak
Miller

Hayes
Haggerty
Kristo
Fast
Lindberg
Bourque
Hrivik

5 spots with (3) competent (or not so competent) NHLers fighting it out.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
______-Klein
______

Fighting for these spots:
McIlrath
Allen
Moore
Kostka

Bodie
Hunwick

Most likely, one of Hunwick/Kostka make the team as the #7. That leaves the rest to fight for #6, although I think Moore is a near lock.

Bold is who I think makes the team
I'd love to see Lombardi and Stempniak make the team and contribute on a regular basis. Both of them add speed and skill to an already speedy lineup. Both of them can be versatile and effective parts on the lower lines and who knows, move up if necessary.

Hayes is a wildcard in my eyes. I wouldnt be surprised if he starts in the AHL and then moves up later in the year after Christmas. His size is what sets him apart and if he can use it with his legs its hard not to have him on the team. But to be honest I havent seen him play much so I need to see it before i give him a spot.

That being said, it leaves room for guys like Haggerty, Kristo, Fast, Linberg and Bourque. 2 of that group could make the team with Fast, Linberg and Haggerty with the inside track (im leaving Glass out on purpose for this argument). I wouldnt at all be surprised if Bourque lights up training camp and makes it a very difficult decision. I've always felt he has a Callahan element to his game, with an incredibly strong work ethic and its quite possible that they may use his energy early on in the year to get the bottom lines going. Hrivik impressed me in camp last season but i feel like he will be the odd man out due to pedigree unfortunately.

Fortunately for the Rangers, after signing Hayes they have some very nice depth for the bottom 6 and have a lot of options to work into the lineup.

I would love to see Miller take the next step (and i think he will if the Rangers approach this year with a little patience - and I believe they will do so). I could see him hit a dry patch somewhere in the first third of the season but then really start playing well thereafter. He will be asked to be more physical and he'll figure out how to balance that with his set of skills.

If all breaks right the Rangers could honestly have something close to four 2nd lines. Maybe one 1B type of line and 3 2nds. The label doesnt matter really, its more about the depth and the trust to truly roll 4 lines. I could see Moore and Stempniak wreaking havoc on the 4th line on a nightly basis, making it very difficult for teams to defend against.

The defense is mainly the same with one large question mark. Losing Stralman hurts the team concept. More than some will admit or truly understand until the games start. He did so many little things to help the possession game, consistently that will be missed. That will have to be made up somewhere in the production on offense and powerplay - and i think for the most part it will.

Watching McDonagh the past few years i think he's still developing, which is scary. Really scary. I still dont think hes hit his ceiling by any stretch of the imagination. I think the more games he plays and the more he absorbs the less energy he will expel and the more crafty he will become. Hes a special player that will only get better.

Girardi and Stall need to maintain and thats it. Girardi needs to stay away from sliding into an early downslope of his career and Staal needs to just maintain and quietly start integrating some of the offense he started flashing before his eye-injury. I think last season he just wanted to stay healthy and focus on defense, but he will look to be more of an impact this year. Klein just needs to be Klein. Stay durable, tough and making the smart play. No one has to know he exists. Thats the best part about him.

Boyle is the big question mark. I'd be lying if I wasnt a little skeptical regarding his game and what he can still offer on the PP. Im more concerned about the long haul with him. Well see.

That leaves the "open" 6th D spot and the 7th man. In my estimation its got to be Moore because he's got the speed and has been through several playoff series with this team. I like Allen's game a lot, but he's looking for an injury to make this team. I am not a McIrath fan so for him to make this team in any capacity he'll have to wow the front office and really show why he was taken in the first round. I still get upset every time I hear Cam Fowler's name. No doubt the Rangers have better depth at the 7th man than at the start of last season.

All in all if the Rangers can stay healthy I honestly believe they have better depth than last season, given the offseason signings combined with the growing experience of some of the younger players. Guys like Nash need to bring it and even Hagelin, Stepan and Kreider need to hit another level for this team to truly be a threat coming out of the East.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-29-2014 at 08:02 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:
again can we see if he can even play in the nhl yet
So we just can't discuss players until they make the NHL?

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
He needs to make it, otherwise we'll be awarded the 'NHL sissy team' price once again...

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I'd be fine with McIlrath on the team, but as long as Klein is, it will be tough to find room.

If MCI is ready, Klein can be traded for an upgrade elsewhere. Maybe Klein, Brassard and a prospect like Fast and/or Lindberg for an upgrade at center. Alternatively, maybe Staal, Klein and a prospect like Hrivik and/or Tambellini for a player of equal quality to Staal, but one who's signed long term to an affordable (non-UFA) contract ($4-$5 per).

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 08:12 PM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
"I am ... Calling Wrath 'fine'" -Ail
lol, Jorf pls

DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 08:23 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
If MCI is ready, Klein can be traded for an upgrade elsewhere. Maybe Klein, Brassard and a prospect like Fast and/or Lindberg for an upgrade at center. Alternatively, maybe Staal, Klein and a prospect like Hrivik and/or Tambellini for a player of equal quality to Staal, but one who's signed long term to an affordable (non-UFA) contract ($4-$5 per).
klein has been Good for us. To be fair allen and skjei look closer to making a impact

Old
08-29-2014, 08:50 PM
OnlyRevolutions
Infinite Jest

Quote:
klein has been Good for us. To be fair allen and skjei look closer to making a impact
True, but Skjei's returning to college for one more season. At the earliest, he'll be here next year in my estimation. I'd like to see what Allen can do at the NHL level. Training camp will help give us a better look at that. If not, Kostka isn't terrible and would be a good #7 to fill in on the third pair in times of injury.

As for that Staal/Klein/Prospect trade for a Staal-esque d-man, I'd say heck no. We'd be sending a team, at worst, an affordable, complete 2nd pairing.

In terms of forwards, I'd say Hayes will definitely have every opportunity. Miller is, as far as my guess goes, the current plan for 3C. If he doesn't work out, I'd assume Lombardi would be up for it unless Lindberg makes a strong case in camp.

Given Glass' contract, I'm assuming that 4LW spot is his unless something drastic happens, honestly.

Kreider - Step - Nash
??? - Brass - MZA
Hagelin - Miller - MSL
??? - Moore - ???

For that 2nd line spot, I'd look at Fast, Haggerty, Stempniak, and Hayes with Stempniak and Hayes being the favorites.

For the 4th line spots, I'd guess Glass and Lombardi have the inside track, but who the heck knows, especially since Fast cracked the lineup out of camp and was a call-up. If Hayes beats Stemp out for that 2nd line spot, he'd be in competition there, too, but I think Hayes will spend some time in the A to start the season.

Assuming Moore's signed, the D will be the same as last year. Until he's signed, it'll either be Allen or Kostka in his spot.

All speculation in good fun on my part, but I'm excited to see how camp goes. I like Haggerty, but I think at least one season of AHL hockey will do him good. We're seeing a bit of a logjam of NHL-calibre talent, and I'm hardly complaining!

OnlyRevolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Krams
what a time

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Agree with you 100%

Here's where I think the forwards fit in

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hayes-Brassard-MZA
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Lombardi-Moore-Stempniak
Glass
This has the potential to be so incredibly sexy. But if Miller struggles and Stepan doesn't really progress, the center depth will prove to be a problem. Kreider needs to build on last year and stay healthy, MZA needs to prove last year wasn't a fluke, and Hayes could be completely ineffective.

But man, I'm giddy just imagining what could be.

08-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Yeah, Stempniak isn't fighting for a spot. He's a 30-40 point NHLer.

08-29-2014, 09:12 PM
OnlyRevolutions
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
Yeah, Stempniak isn't fighting for a spot. He's a 30-40 point NHLer.
I wouldn't think so, either. Just a matter of if he'll on the 2nd with Brass and Zuccs or on the 4th as far as I'm concerned.

Old
08-29-2014, 09:15 PM
peteyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyRevolutions View Post
I wouldn't think so, either. Just a matter of if he'll on the 2nd with Brass and Zuccs or on the 4th as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe I'm being biased but I never liked that guy nor will I so if he doesn't play with us I'm ok. I didn't like the stemp. Signing cause I literally never liked the guy

Old
08-29-2014, 09:17 PM
OnlyRevolutions
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Maybe I'm being biased but I never liked that guy nor will I so if he doesn't play with us I'm ok. I didn't like the stemp. Signing cause I literally never liked the guy
Like him or not, he's capable of 40 points, and if not on the second line, I'd sure as heck take that potential on the fourth.

Old
08-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:
What's not to like about a 35-40 point two way player?

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote