HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predicting who cracks the open roster spots

Old
08-29-2014, 09:20 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyo View Post
Maybe I'm being biased but I never liked that guy nor will I so if he doesn't play with us I'm ok. I didn't like the stemp. Signing cause I literally never liked the guy
That's kind of dumb. What a random player to dislike.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Have been saying all summer I believe only one spot in the starting 12 forwards is available.

The obvious 10 (Stempniak is an obvious one. As is Glass, he is going to play) plus I believe Miller will get his chance to stick pretty much no matter what happens in camp/preseason.

So thats Hayes, Lombardi, Fast, Bourque, Kristo, Haggerty and Lindberg for one spot with Haggerty and Kristo as long shots.

Perhaps two of those if we decide to always carry a 13th forward.

A lot of guys for only one or two spots. Thats why I'll be shocked if they bring in Malone as well.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 09:27 PM
OnlyRevolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Have been saying all summer I believe only one spot in the starting 12 forwards is available.

The obvious 10 (Stempniak is an obvious one. As is Glass, he is going to play) plus I believe Miller will get his chance to stick pretty much no matter what happens in camp/preseason.

So thats Hayes, Lombardi, Fast, Bourque, Kristo, Haggerty and Lindberg for one spot with Haggerty and Kristo as long shots.

Perhaps two of those if we decide to always carry a 13th forward.

A lot of guys for only one or two spots. Thats why I'll be shocked if they bring in Malone as well.
I'd assume Mueller or Lombardi would be the extra of that group. The other guys are young enough that it makes more sense to keep them active with big minutes in the A.

OnlyRevolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Thats right, I forgot about Mueller. He is without a doubt in that group battling. More of a chance than Kristo or Haggerty.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
nyrangers1472

I really like Jesper Fast and hope he finds a way onto the team; same goes for Ryan Borque. It's amazing how much potential depth this team could have near the middle of the season with bottom 6 ready forwards (assuming by December/January) as well as McIlrath and Allen as they continue to progress.

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I'm going with Miller and Fast making the team, followed by Hayes after a brief stint in Hartford.

nyrangers1472 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 10:31 PM
peteyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
That's kind of dumb. What a random player to dislike.
I'm not going around saying what u think is smart or not you have players you don't like and so do I. What's dumb about that 30-40 points or not he's garbage to me

peteyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 10:32 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
I'm not going around saying what u think is smart or not you have players you don't like and so do I. What's dump about that 30-40 points or not he's garbage to me
Solid explanation (and grammar).

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 11:24 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
Dont have a big tough 4th line, especially if we take Glass out. People will probably complain about that. That said, if Hayes Lombo and Miller dont disappoint, Kreider and Stepan keep trending upwards, Nash bounces back, and MSL and Moore dont decline, this could be one of the best rangers teams in a long time. The depth is actually incredible.
I'm a proponent of that myself, but it's hard to argue with a system that got us to the finals.

Speed and puck control.

Lombo, D.M and Step can do that.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 11:25 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Assuming Glass has a spot locked up, John Moore is re-signed, and they carry an extra forward and D (they shouldn't), my best guesses:

Bingo. I see a ton of people sliding Lombardi down to wing on the 4th line in their predictions. Lombardi is the backup/safety plan if Miller doesn't work for 3C.

If Miller makes the team out of camp, wouldn't surprise me in the least to potentially see Lombardi "Patrick Rissmiller"ed and sent to the AHL.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2014, 11:32 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
If MCI is ready, Klein can be traded for an upgrade elsewhere. Maybe Klein, Brassard and a prospect like Fast and/or Lindberg for an upgrade at center. Alternatively, maybe Staal, Klein and a prospect like Hrivik and/or Tambellini for a player of equal quality to Staal, but one who's signed long term to an affordable (non-UFA) contract ($4-$5 per).
creative.

Decent package.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 12:00 AM
nyrangers1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
creative.

Decent package.
Any ideas of a player that fits that mold? If we have to trade Staal, which I'd prefer not to happen, I'd hope it's for a top 4 LD that can replace his minutes and has some offense to his game.

Old
08-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 470
Quote:
If MCI is ready, Klein can be traded for an upgrade elsewhere. Maybe Klein, Brassard and a prospect like Fast and/or Lindberg for an upgrade at center. Alternatively, maybe Staal, Klein and a prospect like Hrivik and/or Tambellini for a player of equal quality to Staal, but one who's signed long term to an affordable (non-UFA) contract ($4-$5 per).
I'd rather just re-sign Staal than this.

Also not a fan of moving more than one NHL defenseman in a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers1472 View Post
Any ideas of a player that fits that mold? If we have to trade Staal, which I'd prefer not to happen, I'd hope it's for a top 4 LD that can replace his minutes and has some offense to his game.
I couldn't even think of one.

I feel like sometimes people make proposals with no one in mind because there is no available player that meets their description.

Kind of like the fictional "young, cost-controlled, top 6 winger who is just about to break out" this board was clamoring for last offseason.

08-30-2014, 12:46 AM
OnlyRevolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post

I feel like sometimes people make proposals with no one in mind because there is no available player that meets their description.

Kind of like the fictional "young, cost-controlled, top 6 winger who is just about to break out" this board was clamoring for last offseason.
Agreed.

That proposal is basically trading Staal, Klein, and a prospect for a Staal on a Klein contract. It'd be an incredible over-payment. Besides, I can't think of many teams who would take on 2 NHL defenseman and have this top-4 LD we're looking for.

Klein is a very capable d-man, and I think a lot of people look at him being on the third pairing and make assumptions about his play. I will say that Moore has gotten better, but I do think that Klein has played a significant role in helping to steady out Moore's game. Move Klein, and we have a new problem...not only in waiting out the inevitable rough spots of McI's transition to the NHL, but placing him alongside Moore who, while making progress, is still learning the game.

EDIT: Just looking at teams who could be potential targets. Edmonton doesn't have the top-4 LD we're looking for. Detroit, while needing D, look a bit better this year. Maybe look at Brendan Smith, but they have no use for Klein with DeKeyser and Quincey on the right (aside from the fact it'd be an overpayment). Boston doesn't have the cap space or the LD (unless you consider Krug, but bear in mind he played sheltered minutes). I don't think the Ducks are interested in moving Fowler. Ottawa doesn't have a LD that I think would be worth it.

Last edited by OnlyRevolutions: 08-30-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old
08-30-2014, 12:47 AM
nyrangers1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post

Only players I can think of offhand are Josi and Hjalmarsson, but I highly highly doubt they'd be moved.

Old
08-30-2014, 12:59 AM
OnlyRevolutions

Quote:
Only players I can think of offhand are Josi and Hjalmarsson, but I highly highly doubt they'd be moved.
Good calls. Can't see Chicago doing it with the looming cap hits of Toews and Kane coming into play. They don't need the contracts of Staal and Klein coming on.

As for Nashville, maybe they could use the defensive depth, but I don't see Josi being available. We got them once with DZ for Klein. It's like the Canadiens...they're going to be wary now.

Old
08-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
I really like Jesper Fast and hope he finds a way onto the team; same goes for Ryan Borque. It's amazing how much potential depth this team could have near the middle of the season with bottom 6 ready forwards (assuming by December/January) as well as McIlrath and Allen as they continue to progress.

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I'm going with Miller and Fast making the team, followed by Hayes after a brief stint in Hartford.
I had Fast making it until Hayes was signed. And I really think that unless no one performs at 3C, Lombardi was signed to be the 13th, play like 50 games as a fill in. I also have the feeling that the lines will be balanced not unlike last season so instead of a 3rd line of Hagelin/Miller/Hayes you may see a 3rd like Hags/Miller/MSL. That way AV goes with the hot line, get his zone match ups and the 3 lines all play between 14-16 even strength minutes more or less. Either way, hard to complain no matter what happens, I love the depth and competition we'll have this camp.

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 10:34 AM
peteyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
Solid explanation (and grammar).
I'm sorry I didn't realize that you're an English teacher I see you all over these boards attacking users spelling and grammar is that all you have to discuss cause when it comes to hockey you don't know much

peteyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 10:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I'm not going around saying what u think is smart or not you have players you don't like and so do I. What's dumb about that 30-40 points or not he's garbage to me
Soooo....what exactly about him makes him garbage? All you've said is that you don't like him. Guys that can pot 30-40 points with good two way play, while not extremely rare, are still assets.

If you're going to make, uh, strange statements like that about a player, you should be prepared to provide a justification beyond "I don't like him." Or at least then be prepared for the and responses.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Everyone thinks we have incredible depth, but let's keep in mind that every year some exceed expectations and some struggle. By the end of the preseason, about half of the 9 forwards (Miller, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, Bourque, Hrivik, Haggerty, Lombardi, Mueller... with Stemp and Glass making it) who are competing for the last three spots (two regulars and #13F) will take themselves out of real competition.

At this point, we send down only 1-2 players who are knocking on the door. With injuries, they will get their shots in midseason, but even these kids might look good in preseason, then prove themselves unready for the NHL (e.g., Fast last year, Kreider the year before).

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Everyone thinks we have incredible depth, but let's keep in mind that every year some exceed expectations and some struggle. By the end of the preseason, about half of the 9 forwards (Miller, Hayes, Fast, Lindberg, Bourque, Hrivik, Haggerty, Lombardi, Mueller... with Stemp and Glass making it) who are competing for the last three spots (two regulars and #13F) will take themselves out of real competition.

At this point, we send down only 1-2 players who are knocking on the door. With injuries, they will get their shots in midseason, but even these kids might look good in preseason, then prove themselves unready for the NHL (e.g., Fast last year, Kreider the year before).
It'll come down to roles as well. Kristo and Haggerty aren't 4th line wingers... but a guy like Mueller could be a good 4th line RW that can take faceoffs and PK.

I think the team ends up with a build more similar to the 2007 Sabres than anything else with guys like Lombo and Stemp in "4th" line roles.

The last 3 cup champs from 2012 to 2014 all had the best team defense stats in the regular season. I don't think thats a coincidence. This Ranger team will be built to defend and attack with speed.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 12:17 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
MZA-Brassard- Nash
Hagelin-Miller/Lombardi/Lindberg- Hayes/Fast
Glass-Moore-Stempniak
Malone/Carcillo

3 forward positions to be alloted IMO on fwd
If McIllraith looks good he could be a darkhorse as a 3rd pair-anställning RD at The Expressen of Klein, but I see this coming further Ahead. Moore will compete Against Allen for a spot. As will Kostka and Hunwick for the #7 spot on D.

Hopefully LOTs of prospects son the Brink take that next Step this year resulting in a move pr two to solidify mentioned curryns Holes on the roster

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2014, 04:58 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you're an English teacher! I've seen you all over these boards attacking other user's spelling and grammar. Is that all you have to discuss? cause When it comes to hockey, you don't know much!

In all seriousness, your grammar isn't the issue. Your unexplained bias for a 40 point player is.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 11:28 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/65...ter_1409941601

Maybe JT has grown up a bit here. Seems like his teammates told him it wasn't cool not to have shown up for informal last year. It would be nice for him to take a step forward, and be more consistent on the defensive end to remain with the big club all year.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staals Eye View Post
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/65...ter_1409941601

Maybe JT has grown up a bit here. Seems like his teammates told him it wasn't cool not to have shown up for informal last year. It would be nice for him to take a step forward, and be more consistent on the defensive end to remain with the big club all year.

Maybe he realized that by not working harder last year, he would've made an extra half a million dollars and didn't have to ride the bus in the AHL.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Zil

Quote:
Maybe he realized that by not working harder last year, he would've made an extra half a million dollars and didn't have to ride the bus in the AHL.
That's unnecessarily patronizing. You have no idea if it's a matter of working hard. Some guys just take longer to mature and for the game to slow down for them at the NHL-level.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote