HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Varada out for ~6 weeks

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2005, 04:48 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

vCash: 500
Varada out for ~6 weeks

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=136907

Old
09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

What a shame, after last season.

The nice thing is that we have some depth to cover the loss.

Old
09-19-2005, 04:51 PM
The Hamburglar

Thankfully it's not the same knee.

Old
09-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Charge_Seven

Not great news, but it could have been much worse for you guys, that's for sure. Too bad for him, but I have to say, I've hated him since Buffalo...but I don't wish injuries on players either way.

Old
09-19-2005, 05:08 PM
lafite

Well, he won't be out that long, and it give the Sens more time to decide on Bochenski, Eaves, etc. At least one guy will get an extra months look-see.

Old
09-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Bileur

Too bad, oh well lafite has the right way too look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite
Well, he won't be out that long, and it give the Sens more time to decide on Bochenski, Eaves, etc. At least one guy will get an extra months look-see.

Old
09-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Not great news, but it could have been much worse for you guys, that's for sure. Too bad for him, but I have to say, I've hated him since Buffalo...but I don't wish injuries on players either way.
That's what makes Vaclav so great, his opponents hate him. He rattles the opposition with solid checking and in turn will draw quite a few penalties. This is a tough loss for the 3rd line IMO.

Old
09-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Hossa

This is great news for guys like Eaves, Martins and Kelly that are on the bubble. Eaves in particular could benefit from this, much like Vermette last year. Vermette was not supposed to make the team last year, but was kept around because of injury at the start of the year, and played to well to send down. Eaves has a chance to do the same now.

Old
09-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Sens4Cup

3rd line

I think this will make it likely that you'll see either Eaves or Vermette on the third line. With Varada out, this is how I see our lineup working:

Bochenski-Spezza-Heatley
Havlat-Smolinski-Alfredsson
Fisher-Vermette-Eaves/Schaefer
Eaves/Schaefer-Kelly-Neil

Personally I'd like to see Eaves and Vermette on the third line, as Eaves has played an agitating type role in his college career, and is a good sniper. Vermette could flourish in the role as third line center, and with Fisher on the wing it might decrease his chance of injury. This line would also be ridiculously quick, and with lots of potential for each guy to put up 20 goals and 30 assists IMO.

Old
09-19-2005, 06:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Unfortunately for Varada this could end his stint with the Sens if they decide to save a little money and go with younger guys. He seems to be injury prone, Neil will probably take his 3rd line spot and for the amount of money that Vaclav makes is too expensive for the 4th line, I think his time is up. Never heard a word about Schaefer's play yesterday, he needs to get noticed, he needs to score or he needs to be seen as shutting down the opposition, did anyone notice him?

1. Havlat - Fisher - Alfredson - Fish brings energy and grit to this line.
2. Heatley - Spezza - Bochenski - IMO Bochenski starts the year on this line.
3. Schaefer - Smolinski - Neil - Smoke's lack luster play makes him expendable.
4. Hamel - Vermette - McGratton - Gratts too makes the roster as a part time enforcer, Hamel has an outside chance of starting the year in Ottawa especially with Varada out and Vermette will bide his time but I see him eventually pushing Smolinski out and Kelly filling his roster spot, guys who want it more.

3. Schaefer - Vermette - Hamel - I would prefer a 3rd line that can also score. OR
3.Hamel - Vermette - Fisher - 3rd line of the not so distant future.
4. McGratton - Kelly - Neil - Kelly could be replaced with a bigger tougher centre like Weimer if Minny will take Smoke and/or Varada for him. Isn't Kelly a cheaper version of Schaefer but more versatile, he can play all 3 forward positions?

Old
09-19-2005, 07:06 PM
yintin

Aragorn, what do you have against Varada and Schaefer?

Every thread you start, you bash them and want minor leaguers to take over their positions.

Did they have a three-way with your gf or something?

Old
09-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Veela

Too bad. I told you, Varada is becoming better and better every year. He didnt steped back over lockout, he even won gold medal at WC. And he was force- Darcy Tucker type. Oh no, he is just Vaclav Varada type. I spoke to him once and he is like a hammer in his posture.

I dont worry the Sens will cover his loss. His time is in play off.

Old
09-19-2005, 07:59 PM
nneate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yintin

Every thread you start, you bash them and want minor leaguers to take over their positions.

Did they have a three-way with your gf or something?
Were talking about Varada not Huselius

Old
09-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Sensored

Bochenski-Spezza-Heatley
Vermette-Fisher-Schaefer
Eaves-Kelly-Neil

Old
09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by yintin
Agreed - this is some kind of long-standing grudge... given that Murray is pretty interested in maintaining a defensive-minded shut-down line, Schaefer's job is probably safer than ever. You don't put rookie call-ups on a line that you expect to actually shut down another team's ability to score. It looks like Fisher and Schaefer may start to form a Maltby/Draper-like defensive tandem, and frankly I have no problem with that at all so long as Fisher can remain healthy.

Old
09-19-2005, 11:24 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn
Kelly could be replaced with a bigger tougher centre like Weimer if Minny will take Smoke and/or Varada for him. Isn't Kelly a cheaper version of Schaefer but more versatile, he can play all 3 forward positions?
1. Wiemer isn't in Minnesota.
2. Kelly will be a cheaper version of Schaefer when he puts up three 15G/30pts seasons while playing at least a 3rd line role and top PK minutes. Until then he's just cheaper.

Last edited by sensens: 09-20-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old
09-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Pangu

You don't really need size on your third line. The important thing is that it can skate with top lines, and basically be capable of checking them. Our third line just needs to be able to shut the other teams first line down. We want to tie with our third and fourth line and win with our 1st two lines.

Old
09-20-2005, 07:42 AM
miser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENS4EVER
Bochenski-Spezza-Heatley
Vermette-Fisher-Schaefer
Eaves-Kelly-Neil
Almost right.
3rd line will look more like:

Schaefer - Fisher - Neil

and the 4th like:

Eaves/Kelly - Vermette - McGratton

Old
09-20-2005, 08:28 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
There's no point in having Eaves play on a 4th line/4th line minutes. He needs to be on an offensive line.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Pangu

There is no way Eaves is going to play on an offensive line. Most of our star forwards did not start their NHL careers on the first two lines either. I think that they should give him a chance to play first line minutes in the minors, but if there are injury problems then there is no problem with him playing on the fourth line. It will give him an appreciation for playing at the NHL level.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Matsi
got paws?

Bad news, I wish him a speedy recovery. Good player, I wish we had him...

Old
09-20-2005, 10:24 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Thankfully, it was his other knee and he should be back by November. It also gives some camp hopefuls a longer look.

Anybody knows how it effects the salary cap situation (Ottawa pays the call-up and Varada and both counts towards the cap)?

Old
09-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Sens4Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
Thankfully, it was his other knee and he should be back by November. It also gives some camp hopefuls a longer look.

Anybody knows how it effects the salary cap situation (Ottawa pays the call-up and Varada and both counts towards the cap)?
To my knowledge insurance pays a portion of Varada's salary and none of his salary counts towards the cap until he's back and playing. Ottawa does pay the call up, and his salary will be added while he's playing in Ottawa.

Though personally I wouldn't be surprised if whoever becomes the replacement for Varada, ie Bochenski, Kelly, Eaves, impresses so much that Varada gets traded when he comes back. An injury prone winger is less useful these days.

Old
09-20-2005, 10:53 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
Though personally I wouldn't be surprised if whoever becomes the replacement for Varada, ie Bochenski, Kelly, Eaves, impresses so much that Varada gets traded when he comes back. An injury prone winger is less useful these days.
I agree that Varada's now chronic injury problems are becoming a pretty serious issue... when it comes down to only being able to retain so many near-UFA players, the injury consideration is more relevant now than ever. Can you in all good conscience bring back Varada at the expense of someone like Schaefer or even Phillips, who have played very effectively and have a combined 12 games lost to injury in the past two seasons? If it comes to that, then I certainly know who I would keep in a tight salary cap environment.

Last edited by sensens: 09-20-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old
09-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
To my knowledge insurance pays a portion of Varada's salary and none of his salary counts towards the cap until he's back and playing. Ottawa does pay the call up, and his salary will be added while he's playing in Ottawa.
That is not the way it works. from the NHL.com CBA FAQ page (bold emphasis are mine):

"A Club's payroll will include all salaries, signing bonuses and performance bonuses paid to players. Except in the case of bona fide long-term injury (injuries that sideline a player for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games) to one or more of a club's players, Club payrolls will never be permitted to be below the minimum or in excess of the maximum. Clubs at or near the upper limit that have players who incur a bona fide long-term injury will be entitled to replace up to the full value of the injured player's NHL salary (even if such salary would result in the club's team salary exceeding the upper limit). The "replacement salary" will not count against the club's upper limit but will count against the League-wide players' share. Upon return of the injured player, the team must come into immediate compliance with the requirements of the payroll range.

Vrada's salary counts toward the cap (wether or not insurance pays).

Closed Thread