HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Max Kondratiev

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
You must have never seen vintage Russian hockey. Fetisov was the Russian equivalent of Orr. Fetisov is one of the all-time greats in ANY hockey league. Much like Tretiak is an all-time great goalie, regardless of what league you are talking about.
Malakhov was immensely talented, no doubt about it. But to compare him to Fetisov is absurd.
It would have been great to see thoose guys in the NHL before and in their prime.

Krutov is a guy I loved when I was a kid, though right after he got out of the Soviet Union he added 60lbs and became a drunk...

Old
09-20-2005, 06:07 PM
chosen

Quote:
You must have never seen vintage Russian hockey. Fetisov was the Russian equivalent of Orr.
I saw them both in their prime and Orr was light years ahead of Fetisov. Fetisov was a great defenseman. Orr was so far superior to anyone else in the game that the game changed because of him. No comparison.

Old
09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
chosen

By the way, Kharlamov was only a notch below Gretzky in my opinion.

Old
09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Fletch

The comparison...

of Malakhov to Fetisov is absurb because Fetisov used the tools he had and used them effectively and often. Malakhov did not. Of course had Malakhov done that he may've been better than Fetisov (who I can't say I saw play a heck of a lot of times prior to him being 31 - we just didn't get a lot of CCCP hockey here, except in the Olympics). But, had Malakhov used all his tools consistently, he would not be Maladhog - he would've been someone else.

Chosen: I believe True Blue said Russian equivalent...not saying that Fetisov was equivalent to Orr...

Old
09-20-2005, 06:11 PM
chosen

To be his equivalent he would have had to dominate both ends of the ice. He didn't. He dominated his own end but not the offensive end like Orr. It's a faulty comparison, to me.

Old
09-20-2005, 06:17 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
what happened to talking about max kondratiev?

Old
09-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Fletch

The equivalent in Russia...

he implies that there's less offense from the defensemen in Russia compared to the U.S. during his time and that basically he was a top defender in his own end, and a high scoring defenseman. I don't know if this is true, I'm just interpreting. It needs to be taken on relative scales, and I believe wasn't meant to be a comparison to the two, which your original post implied your interpretation of the post was.

Old
09-20-2005, 06:56 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
You must have never seen vintage Russian hockey. Fetisov was the Russian equivalent of Orr. Fetisov is one of the all-time greats in ANY hockey league. Much like Tretiak is an all-time great goalie, regardless of what league you are talking about.
Malakhov was immensely talented, no doubt about it. But to compare him to Fetisov is absurd.
I don't know, TB. Fetisov and the lik are some of my favorite players ever (being Russian myself and all), but Malakhov would've been spoken with the same regard had he EVER had the drive those players had.

Old
09-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
It would have been great to see thoose guys in the NHL before and in their prime.

Krutov is a guy I loved when I was a kid, though right after he got out of the Soviet Union he added 60lbs and became a drunk...
It's funny you've mentioned the K of the KLM. My favorite was Makarov. Bruins' Samsonov looks almost exactly like Makarov, both the facial features and the body type, but he wouldn't be able to hold Makarov's jock strap.

Old
09-21-2005, 09:36 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I believe True Blue said Russian equivalent...not saying that Fetisov was equivalent to Orr...
Yes, thanks for claryfying my muddlings, Fletch.
Orr was a top 5 all-time player, regardless of position. Fetisov may not have been Orr, but he was not that far off. I think that a lot of North Americans do not really understand just how great a players those Russian teams had. For my money, I would not hesitate to play the KLM line, along with the defensive pairing of Fetisov and Kasatanov (another player who, while not anywhere near Fetisov, people do not understand just how good he was when he was younger) against ANY NHL group of 5 (from one team). That includes taking on the Gretzky/Kurri/Coffey group.

Closed Thread