HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Funniest hockey moments

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2005, 01:59 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python
A few years ago, a Calgary player (Oliwa?) got into a fight and had his jersey ripped off him. After serving the penalty, he returned to the bench and was not allowed get back into the game until he had a jersey.

He asked a fan who was sitting on the other side of the glass next to the bench if he could borrow his/her jersey. I think it was a replica actually.

He got it, put it on and stepped back onto the ice. The ref caught him fairly quickly however.

It was a pretty snug fit too.
Similar thing with Theo Fleury, his jersey had gotten bloodied so some lady handed him hers, and it was autographed all over

I think he ended up putting it on, then realizing it was autographed and giving it right back....he commented later along the lines of "I wasn't going to wear a jersey that I signed"

Another funny moment...Igor Larionov trying to fight Peter Forsberg
after Forsberg punched him in the helmet. larionov got mad, headlocked Forsberg and pulled Forsberg down to the ice with him.
Refs trying to stop the much larger Forsberg from doing some serious damage thereby missed Darren McCarty's turtle clubbing.

Old
09-21-2005, 03:27 PM
ladybugblue

vCash: 500
During a Sharks Red Wings game (I think in 2002 or 2003) they had a video up on the jumbotron, where they showed a lineup of senior citizens in Red Wing Jerseys passing down some depends on the bench. But the best part was when they showed Yzerman and Shannanhan laughing while watching this from the bench.

I guess they knew they were one of the oldest teams in the league at the time.

Old
09-21-2005, 03:34 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugblue
During a Sharks Red Wings game (I think in 2002 or 2003) they had a video up on the jumbotron, where they showed a lineup of senior citizens in Red Wing Jerseys passing down some depends on the bench. But the best part was when they showed Yzerman and Shannanhan laughing while watching this from the bench.

I guess they knew they were one of the oldest teams in the league at the time.
That reminds me of the time they showed Shanahan and Lapointe on the kiss cam...Lapointe wouldn't kiss Shanahan so Yzerman came in form the other side and kissed him on the cheek, they were laughing after that one too.

Old
09-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Douggy

Last night at the Leafs game during a TV timeout they showed clips of all these fans dancing around to to "Man I feel like a woman" by Shania Twain. At the end of the montage, it says "But Matthew Barnaby, how do you feel?" Then it shows a clip of him sitting in the box and he sings along to the chorus of the song. Everyone in the arena burst out laughing, and you can tell he was on the screen at the time they filmed it because he had a huge grin on his face from everyone laughing at him.

Old
09-21-2005, 03:57 PM
svetovy poharu

Here a couple of oddity stories from the Strange but True department:

One of the most bizarre on-ice incidents ever, involved a player named Abie Goldberry who played as a junior in Quebec back in 1930. He was hit by a puck that ignited a box of matches in his back pocket, setting his uniform on fire. He was badly burned before his teammates managed to put the fire out.

Or the Czech radio announcer who was broadcasting the 1954 World Tournament game between Canada (East York Lyndhursts) and Czechoslovakia. He kept urging his listeners back home to turn out their living room lights. Reason being that they might use up their power ration and their electric radios would go dead during the game broadcast.

Old
09-21-2005, 06:25 PM
chum

thanks

Old
09-21-2005, 06:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
Oh yeah, there's the whole Fog incident that game in Buffalo.

Also reminds me of the two "Lights out" games in the Garden in the 88 and 90 finals
Yup, and I was at the game the game that ended in a tie

Old
09-21-2005, 06:47 PM
hfboardsuser

The streaker at the Heritage Classic. I was sitting in the row before the fence he had to climb over to jump onto the field, and got to see his genitals scrape the frozen metal in all their glory.

Close second is the Mika Noronen window-washing routine. During an AHL game, a player snapped a shot into what everyone thought was the top of the net. Noronen complained that the puck had actually glanced off both posts without ever going in. The ref sent it upstairs, the goal judge reviewed it, ruling that the puck was in.

Furious at the call, Noronen took his water bottle, skated behind his net, sprayed the glass in front of the goal judge's chair, and proceeded to spend a couple minutes wiping it down.

Both of these memories are fuzzy, but I believe he was given a delay-of-game penalty and a later clip by one of the broadcasters showed that the puck hadn't actually gone in.

Old
09-21-2005, 06:52 PM
zamboni

This may be somewhat inaccurate, but I saw it on a TSN top 10 months ago:

One Flames game in the mid to late 90's Theo Fleury got his jersey bloodied (how, I can't remember) to a point where the ref demanded he wear a new one for the remainder of the game. Theo got annoyed by this, went to the bench where a female fan nearby was wearing an autographed Fleury jersey, got it from her and put it on. Of course, the refs made him take it off and Fleury had to get a new uni from the dressing room.

Also, during an Oilers game about 5 or 6 years ago, Janne Niinimaa tried to turn around and fire the puck around the boards to clear it. However, he ended up firing it right on Tommy Salo, who gave him a "what the hell are you doing!?" look after making the save.

Old
09-21-2005, 06:57 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Jarkko Ruutu grabbing Chris Clark's skate and holding it near his head while on his knees and after a whistle

Old
09-23-2005, 09:59 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
Speaking of which, still can't believe Gretzky admitted to wetting his pants on the bench in his book ....does that count as funny ...or sad?
No surprise he was sitting down.

Old
09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
acr*

Then there was the classic Samsonov vs. Kapanen fight...

Old
09-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Chartrand

There doesn't seem to be any definitive video, but during last night's game between Colorado and Los Angeles, Jeremy Roenick started dancing to disco as they were repairing the glass. They even put the spotlight on him as he made his way back to the bench.

Hopefully someone who was there can help me out.

Old
09-28-2005, 02:16 AM
trenton1
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi
i believe the player was steve sullivan (in chicago), who had a fan yapping at him throughout the game. a little later on the puck went out of play and smacked the guy right in the head, cut him too.
If someone could please post a clip of this I'd be eternally grateful.

Old
09-28-2005, 12:19 PM
lemieux32*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1
If someone could please post a clip of this I'd be eternally grateful.
http://www.lakings.com/kingsvideo/09...s_jr_dance.wvx

It's at the 2:55 mark.

I will contact you sometime in the future for you to prove you are eternally gratefull

Old
09-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32
http://www.lakings.com/kingsvideo/09...s_jr_dance.wvx

It's at the 2:55 mark.

I will contact you sometime in the future for you to prove you are eternally gratefull

perhaps he might be more eternally grateful if you got the right clip.

Old
09-28-2005, 01:11 PM
lemieux32*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo
perhaps he might be more eternally grateful if you got the right clip.
Doh! I read the post about that clip and just read his response, not what he was responding too!

Old
09-28-2005, 02:55 PM

-Kaspar kissing Joe Melichar on the helmet on TO's KissCam
-Every mic in the building picking up Phil Bourques "What a ****ing goal" line in game 6 of the 91 finals.
-Esposito falling and hamming it up in 1972.
-JD's face when he found out the Rangers were picking 15th in this years draft.
-Dale Puriton sucker punching Eric Cairns and then fleeing from him when they met again.
-Stevie Y mimicing Domi's heavyweight signal after a drumming by Probert.
-The Karpotsov bashing.
-Petr Klima's helmet.
-I forgot which player but a Hab giving the media the finger on a golf course and having it printed on the front page.

Old
09-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Scott "The Camrose Comet" Ferugson making a fool of himself on the only breakaway attempt he'll ever get in his NHL career.

I don't recall what slug he miraculously outskated to get the chance in the first place. But not only did the poor guy fan on his shot, he then proceeded to trip over the puck and go crashing into the end boards.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:25 AM
Victory Ali*

I'm surprised no mentioned the Ruutu/Forsberg incident.

Ruutu was shadowing Forsberg during a game and some how stole his stick from him on his way off the ice on a line change. Ruutu gave the stick to the equipment manager who quickly put it in the pile of stick behind him. Forsberg enraged went over to the Canuck bench trying to get his stick back while Ruutu gave him a smile and a "*** are you talking about?" look. I think Forsberg got a penalty too.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:38 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCloutierFan
I'm surprised no mentioned the Ruutu/Forsberg incident.

Ruutu was shadowing Forsberg during a game and some how stole his stick from him on his way off the ice on a line change. Ruutu gave the stick to the equipment manager who quickly put it in the pile of stick behind him. Forsberg enraged went over to the Canuck bench trying to get his stick back while Ruutu gave him a smile and a "*** are you talking about?" look. I think Forsberg got a penalty too.
Typical Jarkko

Old
09-29-2005, 03:01 AM
ProctorSilex

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but D Langkow is my cousin, and his first game ended up being Flyres vs. Leafs and Ron MacLean grabbed him between periods, and it went something like this:

RMacLean: How did your first period as a Flyer go?
DLangkow: Weak
RMacLean: Well they traded Renberg and Gratton for you, how's the feeling of being a Flyer?
DLandkow: Whats to feel? I saw New Jersey on Cops, this sucks.
RMacLean: You're on a line with Lindros and Leclair that period on the PP?
DLangkow: It happens, I was center man on the PP in Tampa...
RMacLean: Well, welcome to HNIC... this is...
DLangkow... (interrupts) [big grin] "Ron, I'm estactic to be here, I did that as my initiation to the team, Therien could think of no better:
RMacLean: (hahahah) well we're off to commercial, Daymond Langkow of the Flyers,
as it cuts off...

DLangkow: I'm number 18 Scott...

Old
09-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Simagin

http://www.thehockeyweek.ch/index.ph...movies&movie=4

Old
09-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Dripper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simagin

Old
09-29-2005, 12:52 PM
BuenosNoches1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProctorSilex
I don't know if anyone remembers this, but D Langkow is my cousin, and his first game ended up being Flyres vs. Leafs and Ron MacLean grabbed him between periods, and it went something like this:

RMacLean: How did your first period as a Flyer go?
DLangkow: Weak
RMacLean: Well they traded Renberg and Gratton for you, how's the feeling of being a Flyer?
DLandkow: Whats to feel? I saw New Jersey on Cops, this sucks.
RMacLean: You're on a line with Lindros and Leclair that period on the PP?
DLangkow: It happens, I was center man on the PP in Tampa...
RMacLean: Well, welcome to HNIC... this is...
DLangkow... (interrupts) [big grin] "Ron, I'm estactic to be here, I did that as my initiation to the team, Therien could think of no better:
RMacLean: (hahahah) well we're off to commercial, Daymond Langkow of the Flyers,
as it cuts off...

DLangkow: I'm number 18 Scott...

Closed Thread