HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundmark

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2005, 08:45 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Lundmark

Is he ready?

In an interview on MSG Slats said he "had a great camp" and also said that hes worked very hard and is over 200 lbs. now. He said everyone is expecting him to be the player everyone thinks he can be this season.

What do you think?

Personally i dont think he had that great of a camp and its pretty obvious Sather is talking him up so he can move him out to the highest bidder, if anyone would bite. IM not sure Lundmark is capable of being a huge threat in the NHL. If he uses his new frame more and gets into the action like he did for a short time last season then ill be happy with that. But hes got to prove he can finish, especially if hes taking some minutes on a vet line.

http://msgnetwork.com/rangers.jsp - Two Lundmark related interviews

Old
09-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

lundmark is a future hall of famer.

Old
09-20-2005, 08:51 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
lundmark is a future hall of famer.
HAAAAAAA

Old
09-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Dubi's recaps certainly indicate to me that he had a "great" camp. I think you're right about him being talked up.

I really wonder if Rucchin has had a heart-to-heart with Lundmark. As the lone NA veteran presence at forward, it seems like he's Jamie's last chance at a Ranger mentor, someone who can light the fire and help him find a role....somewhere.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Dubi's recaps certainly indicate to me that he had a "great" camp. I think you're right about him being talked up.

I really wonder if Rucchin has had a heart-to-heart with Lundmark. As the lone NA veteran presence at forward, it seems like he's Jamie's last chance at a Ranger mentor, someone who can light the fire and help him find a role....somewhere.
why does it matter where rucchin is from? Why couldn't ruchinsky or straka have a heart to heart with lundmark? are you saying only "na" players give great advice?

Old
09-20-2005, 09:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
why does it matter where rucchin is from? Why couldn't ruchinsky or straka have a heart to heart with lundmark? are you saying only "na" players give great advice?
When were Rucinksy or Straka mentioned as great leaders. 3M doesn't by their leadership. That costs 5M

Old
09-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Not saying they couldn't, but seems to me advice from a fellow countryman whom possesses a somewhat simliar skill set to Jamie would be a more realistic mentor for him.

It's not like Rosie doesn't know Lundmark or hasn't played with him before. If he was going to "take him under his wing", I'd have thought he would have done it by now.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Ive got a great feeling about this guy Rucchin. He made some comments the other day that seemed pretty confident. Whether or not he said it all to boost his own team or not, thats the type of guy i want on my team. I think that will turn out to be an excellent signing. Hey, maybe youre right, Rucchin might be the guy to really help him.

When i checked out the Anahiem board when he was traded, the fans there were so let down. You could see how much he meant to that team. I can see him making the same impression here.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Ola

Quote:

What about Graves? Renney?

Nah I think Lundmark just isn't good enough. I can't understand why that is so far fetched to some. Especially if you compare him with another dude who we drafted the same year. Sure Brendl had attitude problems but if his talent had matched his hype he would have learned the attitude part with time. Any way not many have problem with calling Brendl for what he is. With Jamie everything is somebody else fault. Strange...

Old
09-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Fletch

It sometimes does matter...

where people are from. They have, or aspire to have, similar types of styles, often. They speak the same language, often with the same accent. Why is it that the Czech Posse seemed to do everything together, as opposed to Nedved hanging with Leetch, or Dvorak hanging with Messier, or Hlavac hanging out with Joe Ramsay.

Having said all that, if Lundmark had a great camp it's because Lundmark wanted to have a great camp. It's been said so many times that it's all up to Jamie. He has the tools, he just needs to show the determination on a far more consistent basis. From all accounts, he was a lot better in the second half of last season compared to the first - that may be a sign that he's realized what needs to be done.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
where people are from. They have, or aspire to have, similar types of styles, often. They speak the same language, often with the same accent. Why is it that the Czech Posse seemed to do everything together, as opposed to Nedved hanging with Leetch, or Dvorak hanging with Messier, or Hlavac hanging out with Joe Ramsay.
Did Leetch and Messier ever "hang" with York or Lundmark?

I think its pretty safe to say that if you look at the overall %, North American players have allot more attitude problems then eastern europeans. There aren't many over 30 stars from USA/Canada who have a clean sheet. For every Jagr&Kovalenko there seems to be 3-4 Kevin Stevens, Mike Danton and Theo Fleury.

Many Czechz& Russian players gets a bad rep for holding out. Look at someone like Keith Tkachuk showing up fat at camp. It sounds like Straka and Nylander have shown up at camp in the best shape possible, that if anything is good influence on the kids IMO.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
With Jamie everything is somebody else fault. Strange...
Some players will just take the bull by the horns and do what they need to do, some won't. Jamie's obviously the latter. Do you reject the player because he hasn't shown a York-like drive to make it in this league? You could, or you could say, "I see attributes to Lundmark's game that CAN be an asset to this team despite his shortcomings" and then help him assume that role.

Believe me, if this is a competitive team serious about the playoffs, I probably let Jamie be someone's elses project. Since the rebuild basically starts tonight though, I'm willing to give this guy a few weeks to make an assesment on his future here.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
Some players will just take the bull by the horns and do what they need to do, some won't. Jamie's obviously the latter. Do you reject the player because he hasn't shown a York-like drive to make it in this league? You could, or you could say, "I see attributes to Lundmark's game that CAN be an asset to this team despite his shortcomings" and then help him assume that role.

Believe me, if this is a competitive team serious about the playoffs, I probably let Jamie be someone's elses project. Since the rebuild basically starts tonight though, I'm willing to give this guy a few weeks to make an assesment on his future here.
Me too. But I don't get the "look at what Sather have done to Lundmark" part. And to connect with my previous post what would our opinion on Lundy be if his game was the same but his name was Dimitri Dimitinoff instead of Jamie Lundmark???

Old
09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Fletch

Ola...

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to attitude problems, rap sheets, etc. I didn't say anywhere in my post anything remotely relating to your rant...my only point was, and remains, that perhaps it's easier for a North American to relate to another North American - or a Canadian with a Canadian. Maybe my examples aren't great, but I do believe that to be true. An 18 year old Russian may feel more comfortable on a team that has a couple other Russians than a team with no European presence at all - there are exceptions, of course.

Old
09-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to attitude problems, rap sheets, etc. I didn't say anywhere in my post anything remotely relating to your rant...my only point was, and remains, that perhaps it's easier for a North American to relate to another North American - or a Canadian with a Canadian. Maybe my examples aren't great, but I do believe that to be true. An 18 year old Russian may feel more comfortable on a team that has a couple other Russians than a team with no European presence at all - there are exceptions, of course.
Sorry it was more of a general rant!

And generally I think it applies on many fans, me to in some cases.

Czech players automatically gets a bad reputation. Wasn't it Petr Nedved, Jan Hlavac and Dvorak who always hanged out with each other and was seen out in NY allot? Not Jagr and Straka. Just because Berard, Stevens and Fleury did what they did we don't assume that Lundmark, Staal and Dawes will...

Look at Kaspars work with some of the young guys. Martin Straka to my knowledge have always been a great attitude player and have weared the C on many occasions for his national team. Still automatically we assume that he can't be a rolemodel for other young players.

(this was again not a post directed to fletch! )

Old
09-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Me too. But I don't get the "look at what Sather have done to Lundmark" part. And to connect with my previous post what would our opinion on Lundy be if his game was the same but his name was Dimitri Dimitinoff instead of Jamie Lundmark???
I don't think Sather's done anything to Lundmark, except maybe assume that he was going to become a superstar by his own hand regardless of linemates or position on the ice. In retrospect, I just think Jamie needed more guidance than he got, not simply a 20 minutes on the top line.

If Dimitri Dimitinoff was a semi-skilled guy who who needed to work twice as hard as Marty Straka every night in order to stick on an NHL roster, ok, Rucchin might be a better on-ice mentor for him. I don't think of Straka as a deft 2-way player or someone who knows what it's like to struggle to find offense, therefore I'm not sure he can related to the challenges that Ludmark has faced.

Old
09-20-2005, 10:20 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im not questioning Lundmarks work ethic, cause i really do thinks he works hard and he tries hard to do the right things. I think in his case its more of head games he plays with himself. Hes a good looking kid, with alot of talent in New York, who everyone dubs as possibly becoming a star. Thats not a small task mentally, especially after youve failed to show it from the start.

I think its more of a confidence problem and heavy weight on his shoulders more than anything.
Its not easy to prove to an organization, his friends, his family, the public, and his fellow players that hes worth what he is, when at one point hockey was just a game on the lake and he was just better than everyone else.

As it was mentioned the other day on blueshirt bulletin... Lundmark came back to the bench shaking his head alot, he was down on himself. Thats a pretty good indication that he an emotional kid and is hard on himself. im not saying hes a crazy or anything, but if anyones played hockey or any sport for that matter, when you lose your confidence it really effects your play, dramatically at times. I think if he can overcome that then we'll see what the real Lundmark has to offer. Granted, some kids go through this, some kids dont, but he just may not be strong enough mentally to tackle this. I hope he does

Old
09-20-2005, 10:37 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
Im not questioning Lundmarks work ethic, cause i really do thinks he works hard and he tries hard to do the right things. I think in his case its more of head games he plays with himself. Hes a good looking kid, with alot of talent in New York, who everyone dubs as possibly becoming a star. Thats not a small task mentally, especially after youve failed to show it from the start.

I think its more of a confidence problem and heavy weight on his shoulders more than anything.
Its not easy to prove to an organization, his friends, his family, the public, and his fellow players that hes worth what he is, when at one point hockey was just a game on the lake and he was just better than everyone else.

As it was mentioned the other day on blueshirt bulletin... Lundmark came back to the bench shaking his head alot, he was down on himself. Thats a pretty good indication that he an emotional kid and is hard on himself. im not saying hes a crazy or anything, but if anyones played hockey or any sport for that matter, when you lose your confidence it really effects your play, dramatically at times. I think if he can overcome that then we'll see what the real Lundmark has to offer. Granted, some kids go through this, some kids dont, but he just may not be strong enough mentally to tackle this. I hope he does
Really good post - reading through this thread, the first thing I thought of was that paragraph from the blueshirt bulletin report.

Old
09-20-2005, 10:38 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
When were Rucinksy or Straka mentioned as great leaders. 3M doesn't by their leadership. That costs 5M
Oh come now. Don't you guys have an entire other thread going on this subject?

Old
09-20-2005, 10:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
Oh come now. Don't you guys have an entire other thread going on this subject?

Old
09-20-2005, 10:55 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan
Really good post - reading through this thread, the first thing I thought of was that paragraph from the blueshirt bulletin report.
Yeah the second I read that, It made me think of myself and how I had failed to deliver as well as I would have liked in tryouts with my college team a few years ago. Though i recovered from it, your confidence can easily be tilted negatively, and it sometimes takes a huge game or a realization to get yourself back into it positively. All I had was the pressure of myself, my friends and my family. I cant imagine what it would be like if If the attention was from everywhere else as a pro. It could become Daunting, even though you show a positive attitude on the surface.

But like i said, the person who doesnt care about that stuff and simply doesnt recognize it, is the one who has that confidence that nothing matters. Those players are extra special. Most of us as people in general deal with this every day in all facets of life. Its how you deal with it that makes you who you are. We'll see what happens in Jamie's case. I hope he gets through it, cause i do believe there is a special player in there somewhere.

Old
09-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Fletch

Brooklyn..

I actually think it's an entirely different thread - one we don't have to initiate this year, but next year when this team moves forward and signs a 35 year old UFA for $6 million, I'm sure it will then be initiated.

Old
09-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Limey FK

Send a message via AIM to Limey FK
[QUOTE=HockeyBasedNYC]Yeah the second I read that, It made me think of myself and how I had failed to deliver as well as I would have liked in tryouts with my college team a few years ago. Though i recovered from it, your confidence can easily be tilted negatively, and it sometimes takes a huge game or a realization to get yourself back into it positively. All I had was the pressure of myself, my friends and my family. I cant imagine what it would be like if If the attention was from everywhere else as a pro. It could become Daunting, even though you show a positive attitude on the surface.QUOTE]

Coming back from an injury can make this especially hard. In the games prior to that nasty knee injury Lundmark was playing pretty well. He was starting to show signs of the player we all wanted him to be. Coming back from a reconstructed knee with a lot of pressure on you to pick right up where you left off can be tough.

Confidence is HUGE in hockey. Hockey is so fast that you have to react on instinct and be confident in your play. This is why I view this year as a fresh start for Jamie. Last season was a wash and many people have already written Lundmark off. I'm willing to bear with him and give him a good shot.

If we had acquired Lundmark from another team, in my humble opinion, I feel we'd all be excited to be getting a player with a lot of potential who hasn't realized it yet. We'd all be pushing for the kid to get a shot.

Old
09-20-2005, 12:14 PM
+73*

i say set the bar lower for the guy, for chrissakes; just make a slot for him at 4th line centre (or wing)... he obviously doesn't have the hands to be a 2nd line winger... i like Lundmark personally, but he wouldn't bring much in return if he is moved...

Old
09-20-2005, 12:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

[/QUOTE]Confidence is HUGE in hockey. Hockey is so fast that you have to react on instinct and be confident in your play. This is why I view this year as a fresh start for Jamie. Last season was a wash and many people have already written Lundmark off. I'm willing to bear with him and give him a good shot.

If we had acquired Lundmark from another team, in my humble opinion, I feel we'd all be excited to be getting a player with a lot of potential who hasn't realized it yet. We'd all be pushing for the kid to get a shot.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Confidence is a very big part of hockey. I hope youre right about Lundmark. Injuries do play a major role in gaining that confidence backl, as you pointed out. If theres too much thinking on the Ice about the what ifs or if theres any hesitations - that really hinders your play.

Closed Thread