HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundmark

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
Yep, Confidence is a very big part of hockey. I hope youre right about Lundmark. Injuries do play a major role in gaining that confidence back, as you pointed out. If theres too much thinking on the Ice about the what ifs or if theres any hesitations - that really hinders your play.
Confidence is important to some players, not all. Or its important to all players in "some situations" like if a player don't score on two or more straight breakaways it will stick in the back of his head. Sometimes you see a young D who have problems keeping the puck in on the blueline or handling it under pressure. Thats of course is also a confidence thing that can happend to all players. Everyone can mishandle the puck, if you do it the first time you handle the puck as a professional hockeyplayer it will stick for a while.

But overall most players at this level don't have problem with confidence. Not even many young players. I remember how important confidence was to me when I was 14-15, but when I got older and the "adrenaline" or what ever took over confidence was never a problem. The determination is so high for professional hockeyplayers that it completly takes over the "beliving in yourself or not" situations.

Though there are of course exception, guys like Alexi Kovalev and Markus Näslund are extreme confidence players.

Anyway my point is that if a player makes it or not is not a "confidence" issue, atleast not for skaters. The marginal when it comes to putting points on the board is extremely small. Confidence can have a relativetly big effect on how many points a player score from season to season. But in the end if you are good enough you make it.

I agree with everyone that Lundmark could have been threated allot better. But the facts are that the threatment Lundmark got in NYR wasn't any diffrent then a huge majority of all players who plays in the league got at the same age. Marc Savard and Mike York for example both made it under the same circumstances.

But again Lundmark could have been threated allot better. Thats is something that NYR must learn from and something that will be extremely important in the "new" NHL.

Old
09-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Limey FK

Send a message via AIM to Limey FK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Confidence is important to some players, not all. Or its important to all players in "some situations" like if a player don't score on two or more straight breakaways it will stick in the back of his head. Sometimes you see a young D who have problems keeping the puck in on the blueline or handling it under pressure. Thats of course is also a confidence thing that can happend to all players. Everyone can mishandle the puck, if you do it the first time you handle the puck as a professional hockeyplayer it will stick for a while.

But overall most players at this level don't have problem with confidence. Not even many young players. I remember how important confidence was to me when I was 14-15, but when I got older and the "adrenaline" or what ever took over confidence was never a problem. The determination is so high for professional hockeyplayers that it completly takes over the "beliving in yourself or not" situations.

Though there are of course exception, guys like Alexi Kovalev and Markus Näslund are extreme confidence players.

Anyway my point is that if a player makes it or not is not a "confidence" issue, atleast not for skaters. The marginal when it comes to putting points on the board is extremely small. Confidence can have a relativetly big effect on how many points a player score from season to season. But in the end if you are good enough you make it.

I agree with everyone that Lundmark could have been threated allot better. But the facts are that the threatment Lundmark got in NYR wasn't any diffrent then a huge majority of all players who plays in the league got at the same age. Marc Savard and Mike York for example both made it under the same circumstances.

But again Lundmark could have been threated allot better. Thats is something that NYR must learn from and something that will be extremely important in the "new" NHL.
But we're bringing this concept of confidence under a different light. Gaining confidence when coming back from an injury can override that determination. I played college hockey a few years ago and I got a bad concussion my junior year. Before the injury my game was great and I was very happy with where I was as a player. After the injury I just lacked the confidence to make certain plays, to drive with that determination and certainty. It took me until midway through my senior year to re-find my game. Lundmark's game post injury had definately taken a few steps back from where he was heading before the injury.

Again, this is why I'm willing to be patient and see how he performs for the first half of this year. He came on strong at the end of last year and I'm more than willing to see if he can continue that to the next level. IMHO, in a cost / benefit analysis of the situation it would be foolish not to give him that opportunity. If it doesn't work out by midyear, what have we really lost? If it does, the rewards could be fruitful.

Old
09-20-2005, 01:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey FK
But we're bringing this concept of confidence under a different light. Gaining confidence when coming back from an injury can override that determination. I played college hockey a few years ago and I got a bad concussion my junior year. Before the injury my game was great and I was very happy with where I was as a player. After the injury I just lacked the confidence to make certain plays, to drive with that determination and certainty. It took me until midway through my senior year to re-find my game. Lundmark's game post injury had definately taken a few steps back from where he was heading before the injury.

Again, this is why I'm willing to be patient and see how he performs for the first half of this year. He came on strong at the end of last year and I'm more than willing to see if he can continue that to the next level. IMHO, in a cost / benefit analysis of the situation it would be foolish not to give him that opportunity. If it doesn't work out by midyear, what have we really lost? If it does, the rewards could be fruitful.
Where did you play Limey? Thats about the time i played in college too.

Old
09-20-2005, 01:20 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
lundmark is a future hall of famer.
Not

Old
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Limey FK

Quote:
Where did you play Limey? Thats about the time i played in college too.
I went to Villanova, how about you?
I played through high school as well in North Jersey for Northern Highlands Regional based out of Sport-O-Rama in Monsey, NY.

Old
09-20-2005, 01:39 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Tell me why we should feel sympathetic for Lundmark again?

Old
09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
Tell me why we should feel sympathetic for Lundmark again?

Because he's the shining jewel in the Rangers crown.

Seriously, when are we going to run out of excuses for this kid? I mean, he barely puts it together in Hartford. I think he's nothing more than another notch in a woefully disappointing draft class.

Old
09-20-2005, 01:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I actually think it's an entirely different thread - one we don't have to initiate this year, but next year when this team moves forward and signs a 35 year old UFA for $6 million, I'm sure it will then be initiated.
For the record, I will be right there with you Singin and TB, when that happens.

Old
09-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Ola

Quote:

A good point, its a pain in the *** when your body don't respond like you are used to.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I went to Villanova, how about you?
I played through high school as well in North Jersey for Northern Highlands Regional based out of Sport-O-Rama in Monsey, NY.
I played for Quinnipiac for a year, then came back and played for Montclair State University, my highschool didnt have a hockey team, so i traveled with the A Maverick teams out of Mackay in Englewood. i used to play some teams up in Monsey with the Mavericks... what were they called? the Colonials?
College hockey was a great time.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I played for Quinnipiac for a year, then came back and played for Montclair State University, my highschool didnt have a hockey team, so i traveled with the A Maverick teams out of Mackay in Englewood. i used to play some teams up in Monsey with the Mavericks... what were they called? the Colonials?
College hockey is for sisses...prison hockey is where it's at!!!

Old
09-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Limey FK

Quote:
Yes it was. I haven't played in a couple of years now that I'm out on my own. Mens leagues are so expensive but I'd love to get back out on the ice sometime soon.

The traveling team for Sport-O-Rama was the Ramapo Saints. I played for them one season before HS after I moved over to the east coast from the bay area.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:27 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Yes it was. I haven't played in a couple of years now that I'm out on my own. Mens leagues are so expensive but I'd love to get back out on the ice sometime soon.

The traveling team for Sport-O-Rama was the Ramapo Saints. I played for them one season before HS after I moved over to the east coast from the bay area.
Yes the Saints! thats it... yeah same here, i havent played much either. It kinda sucks. Not only are the Mens leagues expensive, but the games are always so late. With a 9 to 5 theres no ******* time. Every so often i get such an urge to just get out on the ice and cruise you know?
Ah well...

Old
09-20-2005, 02:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
College hockey is for sisses...prison hockey is where it's at!!!

Sez you. I saw a girl the other day with shirt that said "Field Hockey is Life." Evidently the rest is details. Shows what you know.

Closed Thread