HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Todd White....

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2005, 02:45 PM
NCSENSFAN

vCash: 500
Todd White....

Is it just me or does anyone else wish he was still with this team. I think with him on the team we would be that much stronger and would not have to look for one of the bingo guys to have to make the team.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

no. i do not wish he was still with the team.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Bytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN
Is it just me or does anyone else wish he was still with this team. I think with him on the team we would be that much stronger and would not have to look for one of the bingo guys to have to make the team.
I for one gald he is gone he did not make that much of a difference.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:51 PM
NCSENSFAN

Ok maybe I am missing something I thought he was a good roll player for the Sens. Can anyone give reasons....

Old
09-20-2005, 02:51 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

I'm afraid I don't really agree with you on this one.

Todd White can only really play on the top two lines, given his size and style of play, and both Spezza and Smolinski are better at playing centre in this capacity than he is.

On the bottom 2 lines, Fisher, Vermette and Kelly are all better at playing the defensive, agitating role with additional penalty killing responsibilities.

You could make the argument that White is the better value for money than Smolinski, but overall I think Smolinski is more valuable.

I wish him all the best in Minnesota, where he may get a chance to play with guys like Gaborik and Daigle.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:56 PM
NCSENSFAN

Thats true, the money factor is one reason but I just thought that he was an over all team player and a home town boy as well. Guess I just thought that he was going to hurt as a loss on this team. I do think though he could have played the 3rd line. Maybe not though. As a fan down here in NC I do have the Center Ice package and have seen probably 80% of the Sens games so not just throwing this out there.

GO SENS

Old
09-20-2005, 03:05 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

The problem with Todd White as a centre was that he was very ineffective against teams like Toronto, because he wasn't big enough or strong enough to get in front of the net and screen/annoy goalies like Belfour.

He tended to play more in the high slot. Bonk was also guilty of being a bit lazy in the offensive zone and not using his size effectively. Not surprisingly, both are gone.

Not that Spezza and Smolinski are like Keith Primeau, but they both have more offensive upside.

Old
09-20-2005, 03:08 PM
NCSENSFAN

^Did that have to do with the coach that was running his system, or White as a player? The high slot play and not in front of the net. On the face offs I thought he did a good job overall. O upside well I think he took a back seat to the others.

Old
09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
trentmccleary

Oh come on now... are we really going to start pretending that Smoke is any different from Bonk or White?

Old
09-20-2005, 03:13 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Oh come on now... are we really going to start pretending that Smoke is any different from Bonk or White?
Well, if it's any consolation, Smoke is probably the new whipping boy of the team, with those two gone.

Can't score on an open net to save his life. Not particularly great at faceoffs.

However, I think he's more defensively sound than White and much cheaper and less exasperating than Bonk.

He's also more suited to dropping to the 3rd line if Murray thinks Fisher deserves a shot on the 2nd.

Old
09-20-2005, 03:21 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Todd White is a decent player. Despite his lack of size, he always produced more than people gave him credit for. Having said that, as NyQuil puts it, he just didn't fit in within the Senators system. Spezza, Smolinski, Fisher, and Vermette are more fitting on their respective lines.

Old
09-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Pothier

Since he is from Ottawa, I wouldn't be suprised if he came back to Ottawa later on in his career.

Old
09-20-2005, 05:59 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
I've advocated for replacing Smolinski before, but I think he's perhaps owed his due a bit more than we've done here. Let's take a look at what he's done since he got here...

2003/04 (Reg.) - 10GP, 3G, 5A, 8Pts
2003/04 (Ply.) - 18GP, 2G, 7A, 9Pts (tied for 4th on team)
2004/05 (Reg.) - 80GP, 19G, 27A, 46Pts (T-25th in NHL in ES Pts by centres)
2004/05 (Ply.) - 7GP, 1G, 1A, 2Pts (tied for 4th on team)

Frankly, that's not bad at all when you consider the other players on this team, and the fact that Smolinski was being played all over the lineup on a whim.

Old
09-20-2005, 06:18 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
I've advocated for replacing Smolinski before, but I think he's perhaps owed his due a bit more than we've done here. Let's take a look at what he's done since he got here...

2003/04 (Reg.) - 10GP, 3G, 5A, 8Pts
2003/04 (Ply.) - 18GP, 2G, 7A, 9Pts (tied for 4th on team)
2004/05 (Reg.) - 80GP, 19G, 27A, 46Pts (T-25th in NHL in ES Pts by centres)
2004/05 (Ply.) - 7GP, 1G, 1A, 2Pts (tied for 4th on team)

Frankly, that's not bad at all when you consider the other players on this team, and the fact that Smolinski was being played all over the lineup on a whim.
His offensive numbers have been decent, as his ability to play all 3 forward positions and he still is a very good checking forward which IMO makes him slightly better than White. However, IMO he reminds me a lot of Bonk in that his goals don't seem to come at important times in the game, he seems lazy like he isn't really trying and he isn't tough enough to protect our star players. He is good but we demand better and if Kaigorodov would have come over this year Smoke would be making air line reservations. If Vermette keeps improving and Smoke doesn't pick it up than he could be in trouble. I think Murray meant Smoke as the vet player in camp that couldn't keep up to the rookies. As someone else has said Smoke has just replaced Bonk as Ottawa fans new whipping boy.

Closed Thread