HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the Predators?

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2005, 06:49 PM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Why the Predators?

A week or so ago, I made my "somewhat useless prediction" that the Habs would meet the Predators for the Cup within three years (likely in year #3). Someone asked, why the Predators? I didn't get around to replying, but TSN has put out a (lengthy) article that lays out much better than I could why the Preds will potentially be that good.

Another reason is that I currently live in the Nashville area (having been born and raised in Montreal and a die-hard Habs fan; I moved here a couple of years ago). The Predators are a very well-run team, they draft as good as anybody (their D will be sick in a couple of years), and they have one of the league's most underrated goalies in Volkoun. And now they have Kariya too.

Habs in Seven.

Old
09-21-2005, 07:12 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum
A week or so ago, I made my "somewhat useless prediction" that the Habs would meet the Predators for the Cup within three years (likely in year #3). Someone asked, why the Predators? I didn't get around to replying, but TSN has put out a (lengthy) article that lays out much better than I could why the Preds will potentially be that good.

Another reason is that I currently live in the Nashville area (having been born and raised in Montreal and a die-hard Habs fan; I moved here a couple of years ago). The Predators are a very well-run team, they draft as good as anybody (their D will be sick in a couple of years), and they have one of the league's most underrated goalies in Volkoun. And now they have Kariya too.

Habs in Seven.
Atleast now we'll have a good reason to play the Tennesse Waltz at the games!
<shameless product placement> Link </shameless product placement>.

Back to the subject. I like what Nashville is doing. They're a good young team that will surprise this year. I also agree that they seem to be pretty excellent at the draft table.

Old
09-21-2005, 07:13 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
Atleast now we'll have a good reason to play the Tennesse Waltz at the games!
<shameless product placement> Link </shameless product placement>.

Back to the subject. I like what Nashville is doing. They're a good young team that will surprise this year. I also agree that they seem to be pretty excellent at the draft table.
I really don't think they have the talent to surprise right now, they don't have anyone but Kariya, they aren't a good hockey club.

Old
09-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Habs13

You know, Nashville could REALLY use a good top 6 guy and a defensive forward.. like... say.. lets see, OH! Dagenais and Sundstrom... and we'd be willing to give ALL that up for.. lets say... that Tootoo bum? Sound good?

Old
09-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Shabutie

The only player that I'd least rather have than Dags would be Tootoo

Old
09-21-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab
I really don't think they have the talent to surprise right now, they don't have anyone but Kariya, they aren't a good hockey club.
You'll be eating those words at the end of the season...Nashville is alot like the Habs, not neccessarily in their style of play, but they're both teams that are on the come up IMO...I'm a huge Scott Hartnell fan, their defensive prospects are ridiculously good, and Vokoun is underrated...Barry Trotz has kept his job for so long for a reason, he's a good coach...hopefully Kariya brings them a bit more flair on offense...

Old
09-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:

What? Sullivan, Walker, Timonen, Zidlicky and Vokoun are "no one"?

Old
09-21-2005, 08:45 PM
GreatWhiteLark

Why is picking on Nashville like picking on your girlfriend? One comment and people are ready to go!!!

Old
09-21-2005, 08:47 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Titans!!!

Old
09-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Guy Caballero

Walker had a career year last season at 32, Sullivan is skilled but way too small, and the rest of the team is very average, IMO. I can't see what all the excitement is about.

Old
09-21-2005, 08:50 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Walker had a career year last season at 32, Sullivan is skilled but way too small, and the rest of the team is very average, IMO. I can't see what all the excitement is about.
MANY can say that about the habs

Old
09-21-2005, 08:53 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
You'll be eating those words at the end of the season...Nashville is alot like the Habs, not neccessarily in their style of play, but they're both teams that are on the come up IMO...I'm a huge Scott Hartnell fan, their defensive prospects are ridiculously good, and Vokoun is underrated...Barry Trotz has kept his job for so long for a reason, he's a good coach...hopefully Kariya brings them a bit more flair on offense...

Blind Habs' fans here in the Est don't estimate enough players they don't see (of course). Before making bold statement, we should watch games and then realize that a lot of us would love to see a player like Hartnell. I would say that every team in the West has at least 2 or 3 players that habs' fans don't know but would love to cheer for. Nashville is kinda full of those players.

Old
09-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
I really disagree. I don't know how you can say they aren't that good. Nashville have a young team, with a very nice group of prospects and a strong d. They play physical, work hard and if with the addition of Kariya their offence should be pretty good.

Goal

They are pretty solid in goal. Vokoun is a good goalie and if he stays healthy and consistent he could lead them deep into the playoffs.

Defence

Their defence is very underrated and by the end of the year we could be talking about one of the top 3 defences in the league. Timonen is probably the most underrated dman in the league. He's got 3 straight 40+ point seasons and would be a top pairing guy on almost any team. Add Danny Markov and you've got a really strong 1st pairing.

Then they've got Hamhuis, who is really impressive, and Mark Eaton who's another solid guy. Sure Hamhuis is young, but he's very impressive and will only get better. This guy will be a top pairing guy in the next few years.

Add in Suter who is one of the best defensive prospects in the entire league and Zidlicky who is incredibly dangerous offensively and you've got one hell of a defence.

Offence

Generating offence might be somewhat of a problem, but it shouldn't be that bad. With elite players in Kariya and Sullivan, their first line should be very dangerous. Scott Walker and Scott Hartnell aren't bad players either.

They could use a no.1 center though, or at least one other top 6 threat to round it out. But as it stands I don't think their offence will be amazing, but it's won't be anemic either. Also, they have a lot of toughness on the bottom lines, which can easily wear down other teams.

I just don't think an informed observer can look at this team and say they aren't that good. They're only going to get better, and with a few trades, they might be able to shore up their offence. With all that being said, I think the Stanley Cup is a bit much, but I can see them making a dent in the playoffs.

Old
09-22-2005, 09:27 AM
GoldenForum

Sure enough, La Presse has just put out a little article on the Predators too:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...05,1170952.php

Old
09-22-2005, 11:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

GF, where outside Nashville do you live? I grew up just south of Nashville in Franklin, but currently am stranded in NYC

Closed Thread