Notices

Heatley and Snyder in car accident

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Snap Wilson

vCash: 500
Heatley in car accident

He's listed in stable condition. A passenger (Atlanta radio is saying it's another Thrashers player) is in critical condition and has sustained head injuries after being thrown from the vehicle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1626742

Old
09-29-2003, 10:32 PM
JPG

i don't know how bad they are hurt but one report says the car was cut in half in the accident....hope the guys are ok

Old
09-29-2003, 10:40 PM
JofaPads

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
He's listed in stable condition. A passenger (Atlanta radio is saying it's another Thrashers player) is in critical condition and has sustained head injuries after being thrown from the vehicle.

Its not good if they dont list the name of the other guy. They usually want to contact family first before releasing info in critical cases were there is serious injury or imminent death. Heatley is good friends with Kovalchuk, I hope it is not him, it is sad for any person to receive such terrible injuries, but I don't want to see a young player with a great life and career ahead of him to go down like that.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:43 PM
JPG

the other guy is dan snyder, 25. he suffered a fractured skull (i really hope he makes it) heatley has minor injuries, a broken jaw...
the site doing the local story: http://www.11alive.com/news/news_art...?storyid=37279

Old
09-29-2003, 10:43 PM
Frid40

The other player has been identified as Dan Snyder. Check out WXIA's web page.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:44 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

yeah a few points to make on this situation. I am not sure how many of you are actually from or have ever been to the ATL, but the buckhead is where many of the bars and clubs are located. So lets hope he isn't going to have to deal with a DUI on top of injuries and perhaps a seriously injured friend. Not to mention a destroyed ferrari. Hopefully the other "passenger" will pull through. I would be interested to know if they were wearing seatbelts or not.
I suspect the journal consistution probably has pics of the wreck, did he really wrap a pole ? damn thats not good....
good luck danny

Old
09-29-2003, 10:48 PM
JofaPads

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG
the other guy is dan snyder, 25. he suffered a fractured skull (i really hope he makes it) heatley has minor injuries, a broken jaw...
the site doing the local story: http://www.11alive.com/news/news_art...?storyid=37279
It is sounding better now that there is more info. I hope Snyder's career won't be stopped by this. Dany better drive a Volvo under 50 now.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:55 PM
HABitual

I guess they didn't read the story about what happened to Herb Brooks, who was also not wearing his seatbelt, in the accident which killed him.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Hordichuk_24

Oh my. What awful news. I hope they're both okay.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

I'm praying that both players fully recovers and will be able to resume their careers. From what I've read Heater is alright, the major concern is Snyder who listed as critical. Dan I hope you pull through mate.
Best wishes, Pete.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:43 AM
weissfan9

Here in Detroit we know about car accidents. Their in my thoughts and prayers.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:06 AM
Jackson Ranger

Very sad news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Dan Snyder, Dany Heatley and their family and friends.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:11 AM
RedWingRussian

vCash:
Has anyone heard yet if alcohol came into play?I hope not cause this story is already very saddening.If Heatley was drinking and Snyder dies,it will be terrible for everyone.Thoughts go out to them both,along with the Thrashers organisation and the fans

Old
09-30-2003, 04:19 AM
mcphee

A Montreal radio station reorted that alcohol was not involved. They had an Atlanta sports guy on whose name I didn't catch.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:44 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

APD is very certain no alcohol was involved, both players were just returning from a Season Ticketholder event.

Just hope both are alright. Snyder already had an injury which was preventing him from playing. He was penciled in as the 4th line C.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:47 AM
ComrieFanatic

i dont think alcohol was in affect...someone said above that that is where the bars are but i read on www.tsn.ca that they were just leaving the season ticket holder dinner
hope heatley is alrite and it doesnt affect his season..

Old
09-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic
i dont think alcohol was in affect...someone said above that that is where the bars are.
Heatley lives in Buckhead, he was almost certainly headed home. Buckhead is a fairly large area of town, it's not just bars for you out of towners.

It happened around 10:30 which would be right after the event.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:11 AM
M00se

I just heard on an Edmonton radio station that Heatly is being charged with reckless driving. Snyder was aparently thrown from the vehicle and obviously not wearing a seatbelt.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:27 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se
Snyder was aparently thrown from the vehicle and obviously not wearing a seatbelt.
Lets not jump to any conclusions. The car did split in half, so he could have been wearing a seatbelt. Probably not, but it is too early to make a blanket statement like that. Press conference at noon EST, it should be on live at www.790thezone.com

Old
09-30-2003, 07:51 AM
RedWingRussian

vCash:
So far,not good:
Heatley has received five seperate charges resulting from the accident, the most serious of which is 'serious injury by a vehicle' - a felony. If convicted of this, Heatley faces between one and 15 years in prison. He also received four misdemeanor charges: wreckless driving, driving too fast for conditions, driving on the wrong side of the road and striking a fixed object.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:15 AM
The Austrian

Send a message via ICQ to The Austrian

the picture of his ferrari. man, this must have been a very hard crash....

Old
09-30-2003, 08:25 AM
Tom.H

According to http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=55659

"Heatley has received five seperate charges resulting from the accident, the most serious of which is 'serious injury by a vehicle' - a felony. If convicted of this, Heatley faces between one and 15 years in prison. He also received four misdemeanor charges: wreckless driving, driving too fast for conditions, driving on the wrong side of the road and striking a fixed object."

Granted that the most important thing is the two players recovery, but this does not bode well for Heatley or the team.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:29 AM
WickedBruinsGirl

This article says Blood Alcohol test was given, but no results yet. Also, that they left the event at 9:15, and the crash happened after 10.

According to what I heard a Boston news station, Heatley was driving 80 mph.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Wetcoaster

Another Craig MacTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp

The teammate was Dan Snyder and they were apparently coming from a season ticket holders' function. Reports are that alcohol was not served.

Heatley has been charged with five offences; reckless driving, causing serious injury with a vehicle ( a felony with a possible sentence of 1 to 15 years in prison), driving too fast for the conditions, driving on the wrong side of the road and striking a fixed object. If Snyder were to die, God forbid, he could be charged with criminal negligence causing death or vehicular homicide (as was Craig Mactavish previously).

About 20 years ago, a 25 year old Craig MacTavish (now the Oilers coach) while playing for Boston was in an accident and spent one year in prison.

MacTavish did not play during the 1984-85 season because he was under suspension from the NHL. The suspension came as a result of MacTavish's criminal conviction and imprisonment for vehicular homicide. The conviction stemmed from a Jan. 25, 1984, automobile accident in which MacTavish's 1983 Datsun collided with a 1976 Ford Pinto station wagon driven by 26-year-old Kim Lea Radley of West Newfield, Mass. The accident took place at approximately 7:30 p.m. while MacTavish, then 25, was driving from on Route 1 north of Boston to his home in Tewksbury, Mass. Before getting into his car, MacTavish had been drinking at the Golden Banana Club, where employees said he had behaved in a drunken and loud fashion. Minutes after leaving the nightclub, MacTavish's car struck Radley's from behind, sending the station wagon 100 feet into a restaurant parking lot. Police estimated MacTavish's speed at 60-85 mph. The station wagon hit two parked cars and landed on its side. Radley was removed from the crushed vehicle alive, but she was unconscious from severe head injuries. She was taken to Salem Hospital, where she died three days later. MacTavish survived the crash with an injured shoulder and deep facial cuts that resulted from his head hitting the windshield. Essex County authorities charged MacTavish with vehicular homicide, which carried a mandatory sentence of one year in jail. He already faced charges for driving under the influence of alcohol, driving to endanger and driving without a Massachusetts driver's license. MacTavish pleaded innocent to the vehicular homicide charge, and the case was scheduled for trial.

After recovering from his injuries, MacTavish completed the 1983-84 season and then went to trial. After learning of the evidence against him (mostly testimony from Golden Banana Club employees), he opted to plead guilty to the vehicular homicide charge under the advice of his attorney, former Boston University hockey player Bob Murray.

MacTavish was sentenced to one year in prison without the possibility of parole. He began serving his time behind bars on May 14, 1984, at the Essex County House of Correction, a minimum security facility.

In addition to the criminal conviction, MacTavish faced a $10 million suit from the husband of Kim Radley. The suit was settled out of court.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Dr Love

As was said in the other thread you posted this in, apples and oranges. MacTavish was drinking and the victim was in a different car than his. Heatley, by all accounts, was not drinking, and Snyder was a passenger in his car.

Closed Thread