HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Brown The New Deadmarsh

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2005, 10:38 PM
ILuvLA

vCash: 500
Brown The New Deadmarsh

In last night's pregame, Murray was quoted as saying that the Kings "are looking for Brownie to be a power forward, our next Adam Deadmarsh". No reason he can't be.

Old
09-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Same type of player, being that he can score and is physical but to this point he hasn't shown the same fire that Adam had. We'll see.

Old
09-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
In last night's pregame, Murray was quoted as saying that the Kings "are looking for Brownie to be a power forward, our next Adam Deadmarsh". No reason he can't be.

I get a little sick of this comparison. Frankly, Brown resembles more of a Trent Klatt than Deadmarsh. Deader came from the tough WHL league and had over 100 PIM three times and over 200 once. He is more of a Brendan Shannahan, Rick Tocchet type of guy. The kind of player than fights and will instigate a fight if he has. Guys that have really mean streaks and do what tough guys will do if they have to.

Brown is not that type of guy. He is physical and skilled, but not mean and has never even dropped the mits.

Old
09-21-2005, 11:19 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
I get a little sick of this comparison. Frankly, Brown resembles more of a Trent Klatt than Deadmarsh. Deader came from the tough WHL league and had over 100 PIM three times and over 200 once. He is more of a Brendan Shannahan, Rick Tocchet type of guy. The kind of player than fights and will instigate a fight if he has. Guys that have really mean streaks and do what tough guys will do if they have to.

Brown is not that type of guy. He is physical and skilled, but not mean and has never even dropped the mits.

Seriously, have you ever had a post on either board that doesn't revolve around somebody fighting?

Dustin Brown has very little resemblence to Trent Klatt. Klatt was strictly a north-south winger with next to no creativity. Don't get me wrong, I loved Klatt as a King, but he never even came close to matching Brown's natural talent.

The Deadmarsh comparisons are much closer to the truth, except Brown has the potential to post better numbers than our beloved Deader. The skating, effort and desire to score are all there. So what if Brown doesn't fancy dropping the gloves? What does it prove - you think he's a wuss if he doesn't fight?

Toughness is not fighting - it's paying the price to succeed. Brown's got that in spades.

Last edited by bland: 09-21-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old
09-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:

If, you mean Klatt's skill level is as good as Brown's then you need to watch more games...

Old
09-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland
Seriously, have you ever had a post on either board that doesn't revolve around somebody fighting?

Dustin Brown has very little resemblence to Trent Klatt. Klatt was strictly a north-south winger with next to no creativity. Don't get me wrong, I loved Klatt as a King, but he never even came close to matching Brown's natural talent.

The Deadmarsh comparisons are much closer to the truth, except Brown has the potential to post better numbers than our beloved Deader. The skating, effort and desire to score are all there. So what if Brown doesn't fancy dropping the gloves? What does it prove - you think he's a wuss if he doesn't fight?

Toughness is not fighting - it's paying the price to succeed. Brown's got that in spades.
That's all great and dandy, but the bottom line is Dustin Brown is no Adam Deadmarsh. He is no Rick Tocchet, he is no Keith Tkachuck, no Bill Guerin. All those guys have similar things in common with Adam that Brown doesn't. They are big, mean, outspoken leaders who can score 30 goals and put up 200 + PIM's.

I didn't call Brown a wuss, I just said there is a difference between a guy who stands up in the penalty box and calls out the other team and a guy who checks a guy and continues playing when the guy retaliates. Not a wuss, just not that type of player.

I disagree about the natural talent, Klatt was a talented player when he first came through the ranks and when he played for U. of Minnesota.

Deadmarsh was one of my fav's and he was coveted around the league for many reasons which made him a rarity. I like Brown also, but he doesnt have a lot of qualities Adam had, sorry but its the truth.

Old
09-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
If, you mean Klatt's skill level is as good as Brown's then you need to watch more games...

I watch plenty of games my friend and seen only Brown score 2 goals since he was a King.

Klatt is more skilled than you think, watch a few Canucks games from the past few years and you'll see. He didn't score a lot, but the ones he did score were pretty. Trent did have nice hands.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 09-22-2005 at 01:41 AM.
Old
09-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
I watch plenty of games my friend and seen only Brown score 2 goals since he was a King.

Klatt is more skilled than you think, watch a few Canucks games from the past few years and you'll see. He didn't score a lot, but the ones he did score were pretty. Trent did have nice hands.
2 goals when he was 18? I don't want to bash Klatt's natural talent because I think he was a great guy/player for us and vancouver plus, he played with a lot of heart but the guy simply never had the talent Brown does.

Old
09-22-2005, 04:21 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

For those needing a refresher course on Brown

http://prosportsmedia.com/monarchs/m...nSpotlight.wmv

Old
09-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U
For those needing a refresher course on Brown

http://prosportsmedia.com/monarchs/m...nSpotlight.wmv
The kids got talent, I argee, but the comparisons to Deader are a little pre-mature. Deadmarsh fits into a category that very few do like Guerin, Tkachuk, Tocchet, Roberts, and Wendell Clark. Power forwards who can do it all.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Haik

Quote:
The kids got talent, I argee, but the comparisons to Deader are a little pre-mature. Deadmarsh fits into a category that very few do like Guerin, Tkachuk, Tocchet, Roberts, and Wendell Clark. Power forwards who can do it all.
I think what people are trying to say is that Brown has the potential to be like those players.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:22 PM
bland

Quote:
No offense to Adam, especially today, but he is not in that class of player. Same approach to the game, but at a different level.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:31 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

bottom line is Brown is more of a scorer, but less of a fighter than Deader....they play a similar style of hard-nosed hockey...

they're not identical, but similar....but who in today's game is ever identical to others they're compared to? people are just compared when their styles are somewhat similar

Old
09-22-2005, 03:08 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
No one is going to be a perfect, 1:1, comparison to another player. There will always be an attribute or two that doesn't match up. The issue is really whether a player is more like one player than any other.

Everyone has their opinion on the issue (myself included) and no one really knows for certain. But what I do know is that players and coaches alike talk to Brown alot during practice about him being a lot like Deader. Things like "that's not something Deader would do" when he fouls up or "what would Deader do" are often said to him (not those exact quotes but you get the picture). This is something coming from people who knew and worked with both Deader and Klatt. That to me suggests that even the players and coaches see more Deader than Klatt in him.

I personally see him more like Deader than Klatt. But I guess everyone has their own opinion.

09-22-2005, 06:32 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA

So if he is the next Deadmarsh he should be retiring in about a year and one half.

Old
09-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Kngswin

Quote:

I agree 100 %.

Old
09-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Face Wash

Quote:

Kinda hard to lay off the comparisons when the coach himself makes them as often as he does. From Today's LA Times:

Quote:
Murray also makes the connection.

"He should be wearing No. 28 on his back," Murray said, referring to Deadmarsh's number.

Old
09-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

"He reminds me of Adam Deadmarsh. He's got speed and gets in the corners and battles." - Craig Conroy on Dustin Brown.

Old
11-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Kick

Just thought I'd post this for you guys & gals in LA to see. This is the Dustin Brown bobblehead they will be giving out in Manchester in January.

Dustin Brown

Old
11-07-2005, 05:00 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48
Just thought I'd post this for you guys & gals in LA to see. This is the Dustin Brown bobblehead they will be giving out in Manchester in January.

Dustin Brown
Holy Crap - they couldn't show him AFTER a visit to the dentist?

Old
11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48

Dustin Brown
I have to get me one of those. Are they for sale? If not I will buy one off somebody.....at a reasonable price of course!

Old
11-07-2005, 05:56 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
That's all great and dandy, but the bottom line is Dustin Brown is no Adam Deadmarsh. He is no Rick Tocchet, he is no Keith Tkachuck, no Bill Guerin. All those guys have similar things in common with Adam that Brown doesn't. They are big, mean, outspoken leaders who can score 30 goals and put up 200 + PIM's.

I didn't call Brown a wuss, I just said there is a difference between a guy who stands up in the penalty box and calls out the other team and a guy who checks a guy and continues playing when the guy retaliates. Not a wuss, just not that type of player.

I disagree about the natural talent, Klatt was a talented player when he first came through the ranks and when he played for U. of Minnesota.

Deadmarsh was one of my fav's and he was coveted around the league for many reasons which made him a rarity. I like Brown also, but he doesnt have a lot of qualities Adam had, sorry but its the truth.
uh, Dustin Brown JUST turned 21 years old...

Old
11-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I have to get me one of those. Are they for sale? If not I will buy one off somebody.....at a reasonable price of course!
They don't sell them but if you wait for about 30 minutes after the game ends you'll probably see more than a couple showing up on e-bay.

Old
11-07-2005, 11:34 PM
All_the_Kings_Men

Just a reminder for everyone...D. Brown is ONLY 20 years old!

He has the ability to be the next Deadmarsh but to evaluate a player as such a young age is not fair...but Brown is going to be FRIGGIN' good KING for a long FRIGGIN' time!

Old
11-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Pete Rock

As a fan of the kid, I'd say that given a little bit of time he will end up very much the power forward that everyone wants him to be. He's certainly tough, and has a serious shot and the sense for the net. He's also a smart kid off the ice (three OHL Scholastic player of the year awards). Put him in the '05 draft and he goes top 5 no doubt.

As much as I hate purely statistics based arguments, the stats are eerily similar:

Deadmarsh at age 21 in his 1st full season in the league:
Code:
GP    G    A     P     PIM    S
78   21   27   48    142   151
Brown at age 21 projected stats in his 1st full season in the league:
Code:
GP    G    A     P     PIM    S
82   22   27   49    120   197
Of all the forward prospects the Kings have, I'd say that Brown has the best chance out of all of them to make the 1st line outside of Kopitar. You've got yourselves a stud for sure.

Closed Thread