HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What is Buffalo's Biggest need?

View Poll Results: What is Buffalo's biggest need?
A veteran Powerforward? 5 20.83%
A Franchise Goalie? 7 29.17%
A #1 D-man who can QB the PP? 5 20.83%
Veteran Grinders/Leaders? 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2003, 11:54 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
What is Buffalo's Biggest need?

What IS Buffalo's BIGGEST need? A veteran power forward? A true #1 D-man who can QB the PP? Gritty depth leaders? A franchise goalie?

Old
10-05-2003, 12:08 PM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
What IS Buffalo's BIGGEST need? A veteran power forward? A true #1 D-man who can QB the PP? Gritty depth leaders? A franchise goalie?
You left off the two biggest needs.... A true #1 center with size, and a Defenceman that can clear the front of the net and make the opposing team think twice about crashing the net....

Old
10-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
You left off the two biggest needs.... A true #1 center with size, and a Defenceman that can clear the front of the net and make the opposing team think twice about crashing the net....

I'll second that. Who do we have on defence that will be the next Lidstrom, Jovanovski or Redden? I'm sure we are just one of thirty other teams looking for players like that. Only Jovo was acquired in trade and Redden and Lidstrom were found in the draft.

And imagine the Sabres in the finals having to face Sakic and Forsberg. Our team of second liners would be blessed to find a player like Modano or Lecavalier. All of the above players, except for Forsberg, were also drafted by their current teams.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:24 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

I think Buffalo is a team that lives and dies with its goaltenders. Plus when we had Haskek we had no power forward or big defenseman. Even the Devils have no real big power fowards or defensemen they have a bunch of guys who are steady experienced nhlers and a goaltender whom they live and die with.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:07 PM
AvsFlyersFan

A #1 D-man like Gonchar, Lidstrom, or Blake.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
Even the Devils have no real big power fowards or defensemen they have a bunch of guys who are steady experienced nhlers
Yeah, Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer aren't very good defensemen.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:31 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Yeah, Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer aren't very good defensemen.

YOU THINK STEVENS IS A GOAL SCORING MACHINE WHO CAN QUARTERBACK A POWERPLAY??? AND NIEDERMAYER ISNT BIG ROUGH DEFENSEMAN ANYWAYS, THANKS BUT NO THANKS ILL KEEP DELMORE AND THE REST OF THE SABRES DEFENSE!

Old
10-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Puddy

Quote:
YOU THINK STEVENS IS A GOAL SCORING MACHINE WHO CAN QUARTERBACK A POWERPLAY??? AND NIEDERMAYER ISNT BIG ROUGH DEFENSEMAN ANYWAYS, THANKS BUT NO THANKS ILL KEEP DELMORE AND THE REST OF THE SABRES DEFENSE!

No offence, but Stevens and Niedermayer have their names on the Stanley Cup three more times than anyone on the Sabres defence. I love Buffalo, but show some respect to those that have acheived the ultimate goal in the game of hockey.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:39 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
I'm not voting because you didn't have the choice that I feel is and has been the Sabres top need. The Sabres need a nasty, puck clearing defensemen. A true dominate player in front of their own net (Darren Hatcher type).

Do we need a QB for the PP? yes.
Do we need a dominate power forward? yes

However, had we had a dominate puck clearing defesemen in the past several years, this team would have won a lot more often.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:33 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:

First, none of the Devils forwards are "goal scoring Machines," so why do you expect it from the defense?

Well, let's see 18 goals does not a 'goal scoring machine' make, as that would be the most put up by ANY d-man in the NHL last year. That said I'll take 6/14/20 (Stevens) and 11/28/39 (Niedermeyer) who absolutely shut down the oppositions offense nightly. And these totals on one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL. Both put up numbers that eclipsed just about anyone on Buffalo.

Both have a nasty streak a mile wide. Both make great outlet passes, and in the days when you were still in grade school, Scott Stevens put up points that would put anyone on the Sabres to shame. His role is different now, but the guy still has a great shot and uses it very well. His offense is timely and clutch (and clutch is everything).

Niedermeyer is a lot bigger (6'1", 200lbs is nothing to sneeze at) and a lot rougher to play against than you might think (borderline dirty IMO) but mostly he's so good with the puck and so fast that he rarely makes a mistake.

You know, homerism is a curable disease, all you have to do is remove your blinders.

The sabres need a true #1 d-man, like 25 other teams in the NHL. If we ever draft/land one only then will we be Cup contenders.

Ta,

Old
10-06-2003, 03:25 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
First, none of the Devils forwards are "goal scoring Machines," so why do you expect it from the defense?

Well, let's see 18 goals does not a 'goal scoring machine' make, as that would be the most put up by ANY d-man in the NHL last year. That said I'll take 6/14/20 (Stevens) and 11/28/39 (Niedermeyer) who absolutely shut down the oppositions offense nightly. And these totals on one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL. Both put up numbers that eclipsed just about anyone on Buffalo.

Both have a nasty streak a mile wide. Both make great outlet passes, and in the days when you were still in grade school, Scott Stevens put up points that would put anyone on the Sabres to shame. His role is different now, but the guy still has a great shot and uses it very well. His offense is timely and clutch (and clutch is everything).

Niedermeyer is a lot bigger (6'1", 200lbs is nothing to sneeze at) and a lot rougher to play against than you might think (borderline dirty IMO) but mostly he's so good with the puck and so fast that he rarely makes a mistake.

You know, homerism is a curable disease, all you have to do is remove your blinders.

The sabres need a true #1 d-man, like 25 other teams in the NHL. If we ever draft/land one only then will we be Cup contenders.

Ta,

well your entitled to your own opinions as am I,but as for your snoody remarks, take those and shove them as far up your ass as possible.

Ta

Old
10-06-2003, 04:05 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:

You really think the Sabres defense is better than the Devils defense? Pass the bong.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:33 AM
joechip

Quote:
well your entitled to your own opinions as am I,but as for your snoody remarks, take those and shove them as far up your ass as possible.

Ta
You know, I can be an arrogant SOB sometimes, but for someone to call me 'snoody' goes just a little too far.

My pappy always told me, "Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Lastly, please remember the first rule of Bandwidth Usage:

Just because you are able to waste it.... doesn't mean you should.

You'd take Delmore over Stevens? That's serious bandwidth wastage.

Ta,

Old
10-06-2003, 07:35 AM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
You really think the Sabres defense is better than the Devils defense? Pass the bong.
Yes, whatever he's smoking, I definately want some.

Ta,

Old
10-06-2003, 08:31 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
You know, I can be an arrogant SOB sometimes, but for someone to call me 'snoody' goes just a little too far.

My pappy always told me, "Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Lastly, please remember the first rule of Bandwidth Usage:

Just because you are able to waste it.... doesn't mean you should.

You'd take Delmore over Stevens? That's serious bandwidth wastage.

Ta,

let me explain, when we had hasek we had no defenseman who could score and we always wanted one? our most offensive talented defenseman at the time was I think Woolley, so the reason I say I'd take Delmore over a stevens is because its not everyday you can aquire a goal scoring defenseman like a Delmore. Our supposedly stellar defense the last 3 years didnt show up and I honestly dont believe if he had a scott stevens type player would make a difference with Biron in net. We have a better chance scoring more goals and winning with a delmore than we do with a stevens. unless you had a whole defense worth of stevens. does that make it more clear to you? And why dont you just stop with the remarks already OK? you're probably older than me and yet by what you are typing and trying to talk down to me makes you much less mature, i'm here to talk hockey about my favorite team, the sabres, and not to start a quarrel with someone I don't know.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:46 AM
cybresabre
Registred usre

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
I say I'd take Delmore over a stevens is because its not everyday you can aquire a goal scoring defenseman like a Delmore.
i'd trade delmore's extra maybe 8 goals a year for the goals saved by having stevens. factor in there the outstanding experience and leadership...

Old
10-06-2003, 08:49 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

yeah but you gotta remember who the devils have between the pipes, he's 10x the goalie we have and a big reason the devils D looks so good.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:20 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
let me explain, when we had hasek we had no defenseman who could score and we always wanted one? our most talented defenseman at the time was I think Woolley, so the reason I say I'd take Delmore over a stevens is because its not everyday you can aquire a goal scoring defenseman like a Delmore. Our supposedly stellar defense the last 3 years didnt show up and I honestly dont believe if he had a scott stevens type player would make a difference with Biron in net. We have a better chance scoring more goals and winning with a delmore than we do with a stevens. unless you had a whole defense worth of stevens. does that make it more clear to you? And why dont you just stop with the remarks already OK? you're probably older than me and yet by what you are typing and trying to talk down to me makes you much less mature, i'm here to talk hockey about my favorite team, the sabres, and not to start a quarrel with someone I don't know.
Woolley was our most talented defenseman? Not even close. Zhitnik was, easily.

It is everyday you can acquire a goal scoring defenseman like Delmore (3rd rounder) or Woolley (5th rounder).

Our defense was the best part of our team the past three years. Last year, we gave up slightly less than an average amount of shots.

Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, White...yeah, that would make one hell of a defensive improvement.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:29 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
yeah but you gotta remember who the devils have between the pipes, he's 10x the goalie we have and a big reason the devils D looks so good.
I wouldn't say Corey Schwab is 10X better than Biron, Miller or Noronen.

And before you think I am joking entirely:

Player GP Min GA GAA W L T Svs Pct EN SO
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Schwab 11.00 614 15 1.47 5 3 1 208 0.933 0 1
Martin Brodeur 73.00 4374 147 2.02 41 23 9 1559 0.914 4 9

NJ's defense sure as hell had something to do with it.

Stevens alone has 13 All Star game appearances (including one last year), 2 1st team All Star honors and 3 2nd team All Star honors (including one in 2001-2).

As good as Stevens is, Niedermayer has 2 All Star game appearances and one 2nd team All Star honor.

Rafalski had more points than Delmore did.

And Colin White is more of a physical presence than McKee used to be.

Buffalo's goaltending is closer to NJ's than our defense is to their's.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:29 AM
cybresabre
Registred usre

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Rafalski>Delmore

and if you poll devil fans to see if they would rather have had Rafalski or Stevens in the 4 years Brian has been part of the club, they'll tell you that Stevens is more important.

(well, i could be wrong, do a poll to see)

Old
10-06-2003, 10:14 AM
joechip

Quote:
So the reason I say I'd take Delmore over a stevens is because its not everyday you can aquire a goal scoring defenseman like a Delmore. Our supposedly stellar defense the last 3 years didnt show up and I honestly dont believe if he had a scott stevens type player would make a difference with Biron in net. We have a better chance scoring more goals and winning with a delmore than we do with a stevens. unless you had a whole defense worth of stevens. does that make it more clear to you?
Well, I've already made the point that Stevens shot and offensive abilities are just fine, and even more so for Neidermeyer. Playing in the system they do in NJ, I'm frankly surprised at the amount of offense they contribute. Also, there is more to offense than just scoring goals, those guys create offense by being great in transition, and do the little things overall that make them far more valuable than Andy Delmore, 18 goals notwithstanding. Biron in net is not the problem, a mixture of younger, inexperienced d-men, injuries, the change in goalie (not who the goalie is), bad coverage by the forwards and the lack of a regular paycheck kept our 'stellar' defense from showing up evey night.

I never called our defense stellar, you are the one who said you'd take our defense over Stevens and Neidermeyer. I (and others) called you on it.

We do not have a better chance of winning by scoring more goals if we can't keep the puck out of our net. If the defense does it's job (which it has on occasion) then it's the goalie's job to make the easy save, which is what Brodeur does in NJ, while Biron is called on to stand on his head. Granted, Biron has been inconsistent mentally, but you can't lay that blame at his feet solely, as the defense has as well.

Quote:
And why dont you just stop with the remarks already OK? you're probably older than me and yet by what you are typing and trying to talk down to me makes you much less mature, i'm here to talk hockey about my favorite team, the sabres, and not to start a quarrel with someone I don't know.
A few things here. The first is, you DON'T SHOUT IN A PUBLIC FORUM! That is the height of rudeness. Your comments about Stevens and Neidermeyer were quite rude and directed at someone whose been a member of this board far longer than you. I don't normally insult in public but it seemed to me that something needed to be said.

You are in a public forum where all you have to represent yourself is the <i>words you use</i>. You said some things easily countered in a hostile manner and got taken to task for it. This is not the first time it has happened in the history of the Internet and it won't be the last. It's happened to me and if you are not careful it will happen to you again. Think before you shout, and post only when you have something meaningful to say.

Ta,

Old
10-06-2003, 10:19 AM
joechip

Quote:
Wrong. Flat out. The Devils defense routinely keeps the opposition to under 22 shots/game. Most of those that do get through are weak, sharp angle ones. Brodeur is called upon to make 2 or 3 good saves a night, which he usually does. That's his job. He does it very well. On the rare occasion when the defense has an off night, Marty has the ability to bail them out. Normally, though, the defense in front of him is stellar, which is part and parcel to why they win hockey games. All the Devils do is win, night in, night out. It's a reflection of the organization and it's Captain, who, last I checked has 3 Stanley Cup Rings, A Conn Smythe Trophy and is named Scott Stevens.

The only playoff thing of note from a Buffalo defenseman is Zhitnik's 25 minor penalties (at the time a record, since eclipsed by Bertuzzi) during the '99 cup run.

No contest. Stevens is the man.

Ta,

Old
10-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Missionhockey

This is laughable I'm sorry. I hope I'm not being biased but here is how I see it. Stevens>>>>>Delmore. Stevens is the cornerstone of a franchise. He helped turn a pitiful "micky mouse" team into Cup champions. Delmore isn't going to turn around a franchise. Plus I've heard he isn't great in his own zone. I still think Buffalo will be much better this year, but I'd rather have the defenseman that plays defense.

Old
10-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I think what Buffalo really needs is some sort of "pack mentality"....

Old
10-06-2003, 10:48 AM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
I think what Buffalo really needs is some sort of "pack mentality"....
...And a defenseman who hits like a freight train.

Seriously, I agree completely. They need to stand up for each other at all times. If it gets them in trouble with the refs a bit, fine. Live with it. They will eventually fid the right balance between chippiness and stupid penalties. Standing up for your mates is crucial to success in the NHL.

Ta,

Closed Thread