HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Wolski/Richardson Perfomance against the Wings

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2005, 12:01 PM
toothless_grin

vCash: 500
Wolski/Richardson Perfomance against the Wings

Can anyone who was able to see the game tell me their impressions of these kids in last night's game against Detroit?

When is the next round of cuts?

Old
09-22-2005, 12:07 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Wojtek could've played better and was looking to pass the puck too much. He needs to shoot more, and be confident in his abilities. Even his cousin yesterday pointed out that he needs to shoot more... we(people who know Wojtek) know that he has a very good and accurate shot when he chooses to use it, and he's not performing at his best when looking to pass the puck in high-scoring chance areas.

Brad Richardson did nothing to impress me.

Old
09-22-2005, 12:46 PM
betweenthepipes
BTP

I do agree, Wolski didnt look out of place on a NHL team, but he does need to become more confident in his skills and use them more. He was trying to be too much a player maker (which would be fine if he was playing with Hedjuk, Sakic, Tangs, etc) but no one really on his line is a proven goal scorer. If he would have shot the puck more, I think the coaching staff would have seen him a little more. He didnt dominate the game, but again he didnt look out of place.

Richardson, to tell you the truth, I didnt notice his playing at all while watching the game, which cant be a good thing.

Best player's for the Avs last night (IMO) MacLean and Laakonsen (spelling could be way off here). Laakonsen is not the fastest skater on the ice, but he had a few good chances. Maclean played a solid 2 way game.

Biggest thing that stood out from watching the game, Boughner was terrible and Saur wasnt much better. Brett Clark look like he played better than both combined, and Boychuk didnt look to impressive. Liles still looked good.

All in all, for almost an all rookie line up, the game was at a quick pace but was a one sided affair for Detroit. The goalies all had a "good" outing, no one really stood out.

And for any Detroit fans out there, Williams and Kronwall will become excellent players for your club, they were probably the best players on the ice last night.

All in all, this post is only my opinion.

Cheers.

Old
09-22-2005, 12:50 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Welcome to HFBoards, betweenthepipes.

Old
09-22-2005, 12:53 PM
betweenthepipes
BTP

Thank you, had to find a good spot to talk hockey, the Avs forums gets a little "one sided". People on this board seem to know hockey at little better.

Old
09-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Kroz

Well what is the projection for Volskee, is he sposed to be a GS, or a PM, or a combo of the two?

Old
09-22-2005, 01:10 PM
betweenthepipes
BTP

Wolski, is a definately both, great hands, good vision and knows hockey. The only draw back would be he doesnt use the body enough. If he can become a little more physical and always bring his "A" game, he's going to be a very good player.I hope he gets a few regular season games in with the AVs, I would love from him to showcase his skills more. He might need one more year of OHL, and if so, he needs to light the lamp this year and start throwing his body around.

Old
09-22-2005, 01:14 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroz
Well what is the projection for Volskee, is he sposed to be a GS, or a PM, or a combo of the two?
Wojtek is a combination of both, but if I had to choose one, it'd be a goal scorer.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Wojtek is a combination of both, but if I had to choose one, it'd be a goal scorer.
With this team's penchant for overpassing the puck we need a shoot-first guy more than another play maker.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:17 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Agreed with Hasbro.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:50 PM
toothless_grin

I went to the Dallas game and it seemed that Wolski was having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. What are your thoughts? And if that is true, will another year in Brampton help?

Old
09-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless Grin
I went to the Dallas game and it seemed that Wolski was having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. What are your thoughts? And if that is true, will another year in Brampton help?
I thought he was timid in the Dallas game. Nerves perhaps? That's what Coach Q has indicated. I thought he performed better in the Detroit game. It still wouldn't shock me to see him return to Brampton, but he'll be one of the last cuts.

Old
09-22-2005, 03:04 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
With this team's penchant for overpassing the puck we need a shoot-first guy more than another play maker.
Calling Sergei Berezin right now.

Old
09-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

With Hejduk out for the begining of the season runing WW up the flag pole for his ten games may not be a bad idea.

Old
09-22-2005, 03:22 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless Grin
Throughout his development, coaches have stressed Wojtek to use his strong body presence not only on the puck(which he does) but in terms of the physical game.

This was a main reason why he's been tested as a winger in Junior, nevermind the OHL or NHL, but even when he played AAA. Again, he's a finesse player and a shooter who's always excelled when he's trying to bury chances from all over the zone.

Another year in Brampton is EXACTLY what he needs, along with the thrill of winning the WJC with an absolutely stacked Team Canada(sorry my American friends, but that's simply the truth). He has all the scenarios to excel and further his development as an all-around player in high pressure situations if he goes back to the Battalion for one more year.

Old
09-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Roman Tanner

Quote:
Throughout his development, coaches have stressed Wojtek to use his strong body presence not only on the puck(which he does) but in terms of the physical game.

This was a main reason why he's been tested as a winger in Junior, nevermind the OHL or NHL, but even when he played AAA. Again, he's a finesse player and a shooter who's always excelled when he's trying to bury chances from all over the zone.

Another year in Brampton is EXACTLY what he needs, along with the thrill of winning the WJC with an absolutely stacked Team Canada(sorry my American friends, but that's simply the truth). He has all the scenarios to excel and further his development as an all-around player in high pressure situations if he goes back to the Battalion for one more year.
Especially with Colorado's depth at forward and Svatos already being in the mix...At the same time....if Joel Quenneville thinks he's ready, it is pretty exciting...

Old
09-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:

I don't agree here. IMHO he has done his time in the juniors and he needs to play with the bigs. When you are in a contender team maybe it's better to get the habit to be one of the group and not the main man

Old
09-23-2005, 09:45 AM
SensNAvsfan

I agree, besides if the coaching staff is impressed with Wolski and he plays well, the kid deserves a chance to start the season in the NHL at least. Patrice Bergeron was 18 last year when he made the Bruins because he played so well the team had no choice but to give him a chance. Besides, its not like Wolski is rushed into the first line or anything.

I was disapointed that Richardson didn't do all that well, i was hoping he could make the team. I hope he gets better in the AHL, he seems to have good potential.

Old
09-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Commander Enigma

I didn't hear Svatos' name mentioned when I listened to the Detroit game. I'm assuming he didn't play... anyone know why?

Old
09-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
groin, I think

Old
09-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Colorado Avalanche

You gotta be kidding? Is Marek Svatos injured?

oh ****

Our luck

Old
09-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Kroz

enh, he'll be ok

Old
09-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Yea, he got one of the 700 groin injuries going around this preseason. Doesn't anybody stretch anymore? I'd blame it on the year off, but some of these guys like Marek played last year. Coach Q said it could have been from playing on three different ice surfaces in three days, but that doesn't explain why everyone else is getting them too.

Old
09-23-2005, 07:03 PM
ggmoney71

Wolski has the tools and just needs the time to mature and build confidence. Personally I would keep him up let him get a huge confindence boost just from making the team. Then see how he does - if he struggles then send him down.

People shouldn't expect him to use his body especially defensively. He is just not that kind of player. He reminds of a bigger Hejduk - will be solid but will not throw his body around. However he simply needs to learn when use his body for positioning especially preventing the points from driving in the D zone. Saw Q get on him a couple times for this during camp.

Offensively he uses his body great and is very nifty with the puck - again like Hejduk. Has great ice presence and sees the ice well. Of course this can frustrate a coach when a player will use is body on one end but not the other (aka Kovolchuk).

Putting him on some lines that can boost his confidence, yet be hard working and full of energy would be great. Players like Hinote, and Kono - who will talk to the kid and be examples would be great. Him and Svatos could be great but then you would have a really week defensive line.

Q is not really happy with Svatos attitude. After one scrimage in camp Q went over and reminded Svatos "if you want to make my team you play both sides". That coupled with his attitude and poor numbers last year. This is going to be Svatos make or break season with the Avs. Kid better work harder play some D and stay healthy for 50% of the season. Q will either break him or the kid will step up. I guessing on the later.

Old
09-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Of course if Wolski goes strait to the big club that will drag our all important prospect rating down.

Closed Thread