HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bochenski on the top line

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Spero

vCash: 500
Bochenski on the top line

http://www.ushl.com/news/20040115ushl.cfm

http://www.abcnewspapers.com/2002/de...bochenski.html

'Blais said that Bochenski can shoot the puck 100 mph or more. It's a shot that Bochenski says he developed in part by working with former University of Minnesota and Minnesota North Stars player Scott Bjugstad at shooting schools.

"He developed a lot of the mechanics behind my shot," Bochenski said. "And when I teach younger kids how to shoot, I think that helps me develop my shot, too." '

"But a lot of times if you're shooting 5-hole (between the goalie's legs), if you have a little extra mustard on it, it'll go through. I've scored a lot of goals like that. Accuracy is as important as velocity. You can shoot it as hard as you want at a goalie's pads, but it's never going to go in."

this guy is a future star, sure his skating doesn't look all that great but he's actually very fast out there. He's always around the puck and he can finish plays in a millisecond. I really think he's a darkhorse for rookie of the year (he'd have to beat out Ovech and Crosby, not an easy task).

I say leave him on the top line until his flaws make it impossible, but for now he fits in perfectly!

Old
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Can't wait to see this guy play on Saturday. I hope Eaves and Mesz are playing, too.

Old
09-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Can't wait to see this guy play on Saturday. I hope Eaves and Mesz are playing, too.
Let's give Boch a try on the top line. We've got nothing to lose in October with this experiment.

Old
09-22-2005, 03:29 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Bo is not a flashy skilled type. I see him as a young, poor man's version of Dave Andrewchuk with less size but similar knack around the net. Definitely a perennial 20-goal scorer whenever he makes the big show.

Old
09-22-2005, 07:22 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I've been following Bochenski since we drafted him and have read a great deal about him. He has had critics throughout his life that he was too slow, didn't skate well and may not be big enough to take the pounding at the next level. He has proven everybody wrong at every level he has played at. All of the coaches say the same thing, he doesn't seem good enough to play in the drills but he just keeps scoring in the games (where it counts) and they couldn't keep him out of the game or off the team. He was 2nd for the Hobey Baker award last year and in the running the year before.

He has excelled at every level and I don't see this guy stoping now. I get so pissed off every time I hear someone say well he played with Parise in North Dakota and he played with Spezza in Bingo. Well, everytime he scored those guys got assists for it, so he helped them out too, he also had as many assists as goals so he wasn't just scoring but making plays as well. As soon as he signed with Ottawa I predicted he would make the team and the way he keeps playing I don't think they can take him off that line. I think he is more prepared to make Ottawa than Eaves is. It must mean something that they would rather give Bochenski a shot on that line with Heatley and Spezza than Schaefer. By year's end there will be all kinds of kids with Bochenski jerseys on their backs, he will have a very decent first year. Rookie of the Year, maybe but most likely in the running as he always has been.

Old
09-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Bileur

I think he'll do good this season (if he sticks). I just wish he had a bit more weight (much like Eaves).

Old
09-22-2005, 07:38 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Weight is not a factor here, considering both Spezza and Heatley are big lads. At 6'2", 195 lbs, he is barely a small guy. On the contrary, he has a solid frame to which he can easily fit some strong muscles.

Old
09-22-2005, 07:45 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

A comparison being made for Bo is with Ray Sheppard. Not a bad one

Old
09-22-2005, 08:02 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
A comparison being made for Bo is with Ray Sheppard. Not a bad one
Or perhaps Bob Kudelski...

I'd give Bochenski a shot, though - a true sniper out there on the ice with the other team trying to double team one of Spezza or Heatley could be absolutely lethal.

Old
09-23-2005, 08:16 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens

I'd give Bochenski a shot, though - a true sniper out there on the ice with the other team trying to double team one of Spezza or Heatley could be absolutely lethal.
Makes me think of a guy like Glen Murray.

Old
09-23-2005, 08:32 AM
Egil

What about Brett Hull? A useless hockey player who can shoot the puck like nobody else. Team him with Adam Oates (Spezza) and watch him light up the league.

Old
09-23-2005, 10:29 AM
armani
Guy Likes

Adam Oates was a great player. Spezza has even higher an upside IMO.

Hull is one of the best of all-time. Bochenski is not going to be anywhere close to him IMO. Having said that, if he produces atleast half of what Hull did in his career, that still is good enough for me. That's highway robbery for a guy who was picked in the 7th round, 223 overall.

SICK SCOUTING!!

Old
09-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
What about Brett Hull? A useless hockey player who can shoot the puck like nobody else. Team him with Adam Oates (Spezza) and watch him light up the league.
Brett Hull, in his prime, was a terrific player. He was a long way from being useless beside his shot. Hull was a good playmaker, decent defensively and fairly gritty.

Old
09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
ndhockey21

Send a message via AIM to ndhockey21 Send a message via MSN to ndhockey21
At UND bo was listed 6'2 195 did he shrink. We on the UND board dont think he is the 6' 180 you guys proclaim him to be. Where is the official call on his height and weight.

Old
09-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
Brett Hull, in his prime, was a terrific player. He was a long way from being useless beside his shot. Hull was a good playmaker, decent defensively and fairly gritty.
I don't know about that. Hull was drafted in the 6th round, has more career goals than assists (extremely rare), and he certainly has never been anything more than an average skater. Useless was probably overselling the point, but 3rd-4th liner if it wasn't for his shot would be more accurate. His shot gets him his assists, either through rebounds or attracting multiple defenders to him.

I think Bochenski is an EXTREMELY similar player to Brett Hull, big shot, but he plays an average at best game at everything else, and he suprises people that he keeps scoring at every level. We will see how it turns out, but I think the comparison is spot on.

Old
09-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhockey21
At UND bo was listed 6'2 195 did he shrink. We on the UND board dont think he is the 6' 180 you guys proclaim him to be. Where is the official call on his height and weight.
Hmmm. This is interesting.

On the training camp guide and training camp roster he is listed as 6' 180 lbs.
http://www.ottawasenators.com/stats/0506/2005TrainingCampGuide.pdf
http://www.ottawasenators.com/news/press/2005/nr0921-roster.aro

On the Roster & Bios page for 2005/06 he is listed as 6'2" 195:
http://www.ottawasenators.com/stats/0506/roster.aro

Let's call him 6'1" 188!

Old
09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
Adam Oates was a great player. Spezza has even higher an upside IMO.

Hull is one of the best of all-time. Bochenski is not going to be anywhere close to him IMO. Having said that, if he produces atleast half of what Hull did in his career, that still is good enough for me. That's highway robbery for a guy who was picked in the 7th round, 223 overall.

SICK SCOUTING!!

not exactly sick scouting, he would have gone much much higher if it wasnt for some off-ice problems he got himself into. Luckily for us, those went away, and we have a great prospect. Sometimes it pays to be patient while also giving kids second chances.

Old
09-23-2005, 05:58 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
I don't know about that. Hull was drafted in the 6th round, has more career goals than assists (extremely rare), and he certainly has never been anything more than an average skater. Useless was probably overselling the point, but 3rd-4th liner if it wasn't for his shot would be more accurate. His shot gets him his assists, either through rebounds or attracting multiple defenders to him.

I think Bochenski is an EXTREMELY similar player to Brett Hull, big shot, but he plays an average at best game at everything else, and he suprises people that he keeps scoring at every level. We will see how it turns out, but I think the comparison is spot on.
I tend to agree and regardless of what Bo's weight and height are listed as every place you look seems to be different. Aren't they about the same size with Hull obviously being a little wider now.

Boy, Bochenski can shoot that thing, I predict he will be in the running for rookie of the year. Top 10 in a year with multiple rookies from the past two drafts. The elite both entering the NHL in the same year after the lock out. I really like his chances, the last guy I thought had a lot of potential to do really well was Fisher.

Last edited by aragorn: 09-23-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old
09-23-2005, 09:00 PM
sparkplug

I think playing with Spezza and Heatley, whatever flaws he has, his hockey sense and shot will allow him to produce.

Old
09-23-2005, 09:16 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
not exactly sick scouting, he would have gone much much higher if it wasnt for some off-ice problems he got himself into. Luckily for us, those went away, and we have a great prospect. Sometimes it pays to be patient while also giving kids second chances.
I still want to know how a 20 year old college hockey player gets involved in an alleged counterfeit money operation in North Dakota?

Old
09-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Sens Rule

Just a little note: Brett Hull was never useless. He may have been one dimensional when in St. Louis but if you get 70-80 goals you can get away with that. But did you watch him play in Dallas or Detroit or at the Olympics or the World Cup? Hull is far from useless and became a complete player. Didn't they use him to kill penalties sometimes? And Spezza having more upside than Oates? Oates was probably the second best playmaker ever after Gretzky. Are we perhaps overestimating our players a wee bit.

Old
09-23-2005, 10:49 PM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens

i was only yelling at jacques to put bondra with spezza since we got him. bondra is (was at least) a sniper. spezza is a play maker it was a match to be made. and bondra could cover spez defensively. but no. that would make to much sense.

Old
09-24-2005, 12:47 AM
I am Jack's Fish

Send a message via AIM to I am Jack's Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
I still want to know how a 20 year old college hockey player gets involved in an alleged counterfeit money operation in North Dakota?
Hey, what 20 year old college hockey player HASN'T been involved in an alleged counterfiet money operation in North Dakota?

I don't know how you guys do it up there in the Canada, but that is how we roll in the States...

Old
09-24-2005, 01:24 AM
ndhockey21

Send a message via AIM to ndhockey21 Send a message via MSN to ndhockey21
Whoa now the counterfeiting allegedly happened in minnesota not north dakota he changed his ways in the great state of nd.

Old
09-24-2005, 02:31 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
Just a little note: Brett Hull was never useless. He may have been one dimensional when in St. Louis but if you get 70-80 goals you can get away with that. But did you watch him play in Dallas or Detroit or at the Olympics or the World Cup? Hull is far from useless and became a complete player. Didn't they use him to kill penalties sometimes? And Spezza having more upside than Oates? Oates was probably the second best playmaker ever after Gretzky. Are we perhaps overestimating our players a wee bit.
Oates was a great playmaker, though I don't know if he was the second best playmaker ever - but that's another topic. Spezza is already showing signs of a great playmaker a la Oates with a bit more scoring upside than Adam.

Closed Thread