HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Silver Lining in Teppo Deal

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 01:28 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
Silver Lining in Teppo Deal

Eye and others have brought up some very good points in other threads regarding the ability of Phoenix to develop their own players. Mara and Vaananen have taken steps forward but could they or should they be farther along in their development? Did Safronov's struggles with both Atlanta and Phoenix point to signs of problems with our program? All good questions.

One arguement might be that we've coddled some of our younger defensemen for far too long. They've been protected from certain high pressure situations because we've always had Teppo Numminen to hold down the fort by playing 30+ minutes per game against the top players of every team. By not forcing our youngsters into these pressure situations have we hindered their development? Will the removal of Numminen help remedy that situation or would we have been better served by not depleting our entire roster of its elder statemen to have the option of protecting players? Something to think about. I know for one thing the first quarter of the season should be a wakeup call for our defense as they struggle to take the next step. Tanabe playing 25 minutes per game without embarassing himself is a very good positive sign.

As much as I know it will be somewhat painful to watch I have to admit I'm looking forward to watching these kids play. In a few seasons this defense will be very solid; especially if Spiller pans out (how's he play by the way by his size he strikes me as a Colin White type player but I have no idea if that is an accurate comparison or not).

Old
10-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Hoot

Regarding Mara and Ossi I do not believe that they have been brought along too slowly. Ossi, for example, is excellent at sticking to his on ice assignement and do his own job down to a t, but if the defensive play brakes down (some other player makes a mistake or is overplayed) he needs to learn to read the play developing and react outside his own assignment - something he doesn't always do. Good decisionmaking comes with the routine that players get from playing and from good coaching. Many people say that D is the hardest position to learn, and to learn on the job against the best players in the world can be very hard. So young players need to be protected to a certain extent. Too many young d-men have been destroyed by careless coaching and by having too much expectations put on them too early.

Old
10-07-2003, 01:57 PM
eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Eye and others have brought up some very good points in other threads regarding the ability of Phoenix to develop their own players. Mara and Vaananen have taken steps forward but could they or should they be farther along in their development? Did Safronov's struggles with both Atlanta and Phoenix point to signs of problems with our program? All good questions.

One arguement might be that we've coddled some of our younger defensemen for far too long. They've been protected from certain high pressure situations because we've always had Teppo Numminen to hold down the fort by playing 30+ minutes per game against the top players of every team. By not forcing our youngsters into these pressure situations have we hindered their development? Will the removal of Numminen help remedy that situation or would we have been better served by not depleting our entire roster of its elder statemen to have the option of protecting players? Something to think about. I know for one thing the first quarter of the season should be a wakeup call for our defense as they struggle to take the next step. Tanabe playing 25 minutes per game without embarassing himself is a very good positive sign.

As much as I know it will be somewhat painful to watch I have to admit I'm looking forward to watching these kids play. In a few seasons this defense will be very solid; especially if Spiller pans out (how's he play by the way by his size he strikes me as a Colin White type player but I have no idea if that is an accurate comparison or not).
Bit of wishful thinking hbk and a stretch IMO. Most of these guys all still played big minutes and in all situations and again IMO did not improve. It's a common error to think that more years of experience equates to improved performance and I think a few of our guys are proof of that. Players that do come into their own show you that potential and their biggest hurdle is inconsistency and learning patterns. We should have seen a consistent line moving upwards on the improving scale on our Dmen that have a lot of experience considering their age. As for your question about Spiller I already quoted my scout buddy's opinion of him against Vancouver. A cross between Ossi and Wilson. He mentioned that he needed to improve his puck and passing skills. Checking the xgame boxscores his plus minus was very good but is that what this team lacks?

Closed Thread