HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Martin Hyun playing in Asian League?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2005, 07:38 PM
  #1
Seoul_Korea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Martin Hyun playing in Asian League?

I have heard some rumours from some of my German hockey friends that Martin Hyun the first Korean-German to ever make it to the top level of play in Germany's elite league DEL is going to play in Korea for the upcoming season. Does anyone know?

Seoul_Korea is offline  
Old
09-22-2005, 08:58 PM
  #2
hunter orange
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Possibly...You can check things out for yourself (he could be using a full Korean name) at alhockey.com. There are two Korean teams in the Asian league (Anyang and Kawonland). I'm inclined to believe it is not true, unless he has just recently signed with Kawonland. Each Korean team is permitted 5 roster players with foreign passports. Anyang has already met that quota, so we can rule them out. Kawonland is showing four and indeed has room to sign another player. Martin Hyun WOULD be ruled a foreign player if he holds a German passport. Even if his parents are Korean, Koreans can not hold dual citizenship after they become an adult...that's Korean law. If Martin Hyun HAS signed in Korea, as you have heard, it would have to be with Kawonland. That would also mean both Korean teams have met their quota of 5 players.

I may be able to confirm this over the weekend...Kawonland will be in Anyang Sat and Sun for the season openers. I will be there both days. Will post again later.

hunter orange is offline  
Old
09-23-2005, 12:31 AM
  #3
Seoul_Korea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Martin Hyun in Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
Possibly...You can check things out for yourself (he could be using a full Korean name) at alhockey.com. There are two Korean teams in the Asian league (Anyang and Kawonland). I'm inclined to believe it is not true, unless he has just recently signed with Kawonland. Each Korean team is permitted 5 roster players with foreign passports. Anyang has already met that quota, so we can rule them out. Kawonland is showing four and indeed has room to sign another player. Martin Hyun WOULD be ruled a foreign player if he holds a German passport. Even if his parents are Korean, Koreans can not hold dual citizenship after they become an adult...that's Korean law. If Martin Hyun HAS signed in Korea, as you have heard, it would have to be with Kawonland. That would also mean both Korean teams have met their quota of 5 players.

I may be able to confirm this over the weekend...Kawonland will be in Anyang Sat and Sun for the season openers. I will be there both days. Will post again later.

Thanks for the info. I think his Korean name is Hyun Jong-Bum, not sure though. He was in the Korean newspaper a few times. Do you know of this?

I heard also from some friends that Hyun Jong-Bum might be attending the hockey game on sunday as well in Anyang to meet with the teams and see the ice hockey level in Korea. Do you know about this? Do you have contact information on the Anyang Press Department?

Seoul_Korea is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 10:31 AM
  #4
Tokyo Bucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: tokyo
Country:
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
He wasn't on either Korean team's roster for the season opener earlier today.
http://www.alhockey.com/sheet/5/game/ogs3.html

But then again, if the rumour above is true, he's still meeting the teams to decide what to do this season. Halla has already filled their quota of 4 import players. Kangwon Land has 4 imports for sure, and I'm not sure whether #9 SONG,Chi-Young Benedict is playing under a Korean passport. I think Kangwon Land was given a quota of 5 imports to be competitive (as they were worried about that when joining the league.)

What level did he play at in Germany?

Tokyo Bucks is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 08:49 PM
  #5
Seoul_Korea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks
He wasn't on either Korean team's roster for the season opener earlier today.
http://www.alhockey.com/sheet/5/game/ogs3.html

But then again, if the rumour above is true, he's still meeting the teams to decide what to do this season. Halla has already filled their quota of 4 import players. Kangwon Land has 4 imports for sure, and I'm not sure whether #9 SONG,Chi-Young Benedict is playing under a Korean passport. I think Kangwon Land was given a quota of 5 imports to be competitive (as they were worried about that when joining the league.)

What level did he play at in Germany?
Martin Hyun played in the elite level in Germany (DEL) German Elite hockey league. I saw him at the rink in Anyang yesterday. He was talking to some officials from both teams. Is he still eligible to join the league if teams decide to sign him?

I think the import players from both teams were pretty bad. The ones at Kangwon Land are not very good. Also they played on a much lower level than Martin Hyun. With the NHL strike the German league saw a great influx of NHL players so the level rose higher.

I don't understand why both Korean teams did not sign him yet even though interesst was shown. Is it because of money? How much do import players make here?

Seoul_Korea is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 10:12 PM
  #6
Tokyo Bucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: tokyo
Country:
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
That would be great if either team can sign him. Chi-Young Benedict Song seems to be playing under a Canadian passport (from the AL guidebook), but some players who supposedly have Japanese nationality (due to parents, etc.) are listed as Canadians too, so maybe the player guide is not that accurate (great). So, maybe there is an opening. Wonder if there's some way to get around the nationality issue though..? (Things are ridiculous anyways, each Japanese team has 3-5 Canadian born players, mostly playing under Japanese passports due to ancestory.)

And I agree that some teams (including Kangwon Land) signed imports from low level minors that probably won't add much to the team. And a DEL player (despite not scoring a point last year) should be a better addition. (Some Japanese players have played in the Czech Extraliga and ECHL, so getting players from the U or C just doesn't do much.)

How were the games in Anyang by the way? There seemed to be a good turn out with 2000 and 1600 people for the two games.


Last edited by Tokyo Bucks: 09-26-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Tokyo Bucks is offline  
Old
09-27-2005, 11:22 PM
  #7
Seoul_Korea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks
That would be great if either team can sign him. Chi-Young Benedict Song seems to be playing under a Canadian passport (from the AL guidebook), but some players who supposedly have Japanese nationality (due to parents, etc.) are listed as Canadians too, so maybe the player guide is not that accurate (great). So, maybe there is an opening. Wonder if there's some way to get around the nationality issue though..? (Things are ridiculous anyways, each Japanese team has 3-5 Canadian born players, mostly playing under Japanese passports due to ancestory.)

And I agree that some teams (including Kangwon Land) signed imports from low level minors that probably won't add much to the team. And a DEL player (despite not scoring a point last year) should be a better addition. (Some Japanese players have played in the Czech Extraliga and ECHL, so getting players from the U or C just doesn't do much.)

How were the games in Anyang by the way? There seemed to be a good turn out with 2000 and 1600 people for the two games.

The hockey was ok. Kangwon Land won 3:1. The import players did not stand out at all as expected from them. The turnout crowd was ok but not great. I don't think there were 2000 fans but more like 500.

Seoul_Korea is offline  
Old
09-28-2005, 03:01 AM
  #8
Tokyo Bucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: tokyo
Country:
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Hmm.. I wonder why the attendance was listed as about 1700 people for the Kangwon Land win. Free tickets that didn't get used?
http://www.alhockey.com/popup/current/game/prompt7.html

Harbin (lost 5-1 to the Vikings in the opener) will be visiting Kangwon Land next week, and Vikings (with many young Swedish Division 1 players) will play the Cranes tonight (tied for 1st in league play last year). It would be interesting to see how these teams do against eachother as they will be their first ever meetings.

Did the AL make the sports news at all in Korea? The Nikkei Shimbun (the FT of Japan) did a special on Shjon Podein of Nikko and a small capsule season preview.

Tokyo Bucks is offline  
Old
10-01-2005, 10:59 PM
  #9
hunter orange
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Seoul_Korea:

I too was at the games last weekend in Anyang...

May have some info for you on Martin Hyun...I spoke with a guy at the rink whom I know to be involved with the team. It's an informal relationship (don't think he's on the payroll), but he was the one responsible for getting Tikkanen, Ponto and Poulsen over here last season so he must hold ear with the suits in Anyang.

Asked him about Hyun...At first, he did not recognize the name (shook his head) until I mentioned he had played in the DEL. His body then straightened and he said that he indeed did know of him. I asked if he was in talks with Anyang and if the team had had any intentions to sign him. He said that Hyun had been evaluated by the team (and this may not have been the first time) but that an agreement had not been met. This is the kicker: when I asked why he had not signed he answered, " the team was unimpressed".

If Martin Hyun was a regular in the DEL, he is certainly used to a brand of hockey above what we're seeing here in the AL. If this guy is correct in that Anyang has shunned Hyun, I can only imagine that it was money...Perhaps Hyun wanted too much.

Also, we shouldn't forget that the new coach in Anyang is Czech. He was he that was responsible for bringing over the four Czech players this season. The fifth spot for a foreign player has since been filled by Tetsuo...Looks like a numbers issue to me....

It appears Hyun will not be playing anywhere in Korea this season as both Korean teams have met their quota of 5 foreign players.

hunter orange is offline  
Old
10-02-2005, 07:02 AM
  #10
Tokyo Bucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: tokyo
Country:
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Thanks for the great contribution to the AL thread hunter!

Just details, but Tetsuo Setaka doesn't count as an import player. The AL in a great move decided to make a rule that Japanese, Korean, and Chinese players will not count as import players within all of AL.
http://www.alhockey.com/news/050628/index.html
But Halla's 4 import spots are all filled by the new Czechs, and the Land's (great nickname!) 5 import spots are all taken by Americans and Canadians (one of them Korean-Canadian, I guess the Japanese-Canadians on Japanese teams already all have Japanese citizenships).

Hyun went pointless in DEL (not sure what kind of icetime he was getting) but even then, that's surprising that the team would be unimpressed.

Tokyo Bucks is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.