HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part V

Old
05-16-2017, 11:19 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
2dMostInterestingMIW

vCash: 500
Just made tenure at Old Dominion University!

Big relief. Academics obsess about tenure with good reason. If you fail to achieve it, you have a year to clear out. One of my colleagues failed to make it at roughly the same time as me, and he just left this week. His job prospects are not stellar as a result of this failure.

This was a 6-year gestation. Little-known fact: the human professor is the mammal with the longest gestation period.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:31 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaMtlExpat View Post
Just made tenure at Old Dominion University!

Big relief. Academics obsess about tenure with good reason. If you fail to achieve it, you have a year to clear out. One of my colleagues failed to make it at roughly the same time as me, and he just left this week. His job prospects are not stellar as a result of this failure.

This was a 6-year gestation. Little-known fact: the human professor is the mammal with the longest gestation period.
Congratulations! Besides your obvious intellect and teaching abilities, is politics as prominent a factor as I imagine?

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:36 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
2dMostInterestingMIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Congratulations! Besides your obvious intellect and teaching abilities, is politics as prominent a factor as I imagine?
Depends on the place. One of the things I like about my department is that there is very little politics, but that seems to be the exception within my College (Engineering). Politics can happen, as one would expect with a bunch of egotists with lifetime-guaranteed jobs. I have found some of my potential collaborators (for proposals and ultimately research) to try to use politics (even politics of intimidation) with me, but when that happens they find themselves phased out. Life is too short, there are lots of talented people who are fun to work with. In fact often the more talented they are, the less they have to resort to politics. One of the cool things of being a US-based academic is that there is a huge talent pool, and many of these talents are open to collaboration; the flip side of it is that grant funding is very competitive, so one has to be very resourceful to compete, especially coming from a school that is not perceived to be up there with Hopkins or Harvard.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:51 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Depends on the place. One of the things I like about my department is that there is very little politics, but that seems to be the exception within my College (Engineering). Politics can happen, as one would expect with a bunch of egotists with lifetime-guaranteed jobs. I have found some of my potential collaborators (for proposals and ultimately research) to try to use politics (even politics of intimidation) with me, but when that happens they find themselves phased out. Life is too short, there are lots of talented people who are fun to work with. In fact often the more talented they are, the less they have to resort to politics. One of the cool things of being a US-based academic is that there is a huge talent pool, and many of these talents are open to collaboration; the flip side of it is that grant funding is very competitive, so one has to be very resourceful to compete, especially coming from a school that is not perceived to be up there with Hopkins or Harvard.
Thanks for the illuminating reply. I can certainly appreciate the benefits of having the ability to vet potential collaborators and to have a like-minded as well as inventive and innovative pool to work with.

I also acknowledge the importance of fun as a vital component of a collaboration. Cheers.

Last edited by groovejuice: 05-16-2017 at 11:57 PM.
groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:43 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Most places in Quebec, it's 100% politics. I've seen too many examples to even bother try anymore. It's a shame, really.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote