HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part V

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2014, 10:03 PM
  #101
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I applied in 2007 and I submitted 6. But there's been some application inflation recently and a lot of people submit 10 or 20 applications.

In spring of 2007 I visited two departments and I found that exhausting. You might need to visit 4 or 5 :-) Consider buying some new dress pants and dress shirts and socks, etc to make a good impression.
And there definitely are some particle cosmologists applying to 10+... so you're saying that, despite particle cosmology's competitiveness, I would still get admitted to 4 or 5?

And, hopefully, I would get into one of Princeton, UChicago, UPenn or Columbia, and I would expect, for some reason, that my own acceptance at Columbia would push current undergraduates at my skill level or better to aim for Ivies for a PhD (although many would want a masters beforehand), more so than if I was admitted to UPenn... and all the more if Harper remained in power after 2015.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2014, 10:40 PM
  #102
Faute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
From my experience, 10+ applications is somewhat common for International students but much less for Canadians. Personally, I tought that applying to one university was enough work. I guess I just feared rejection...

A piece of advice (and a broad generalization at that it must be said) I would not have expected before I entered graduate school (which might just have been me being naive). If you want more hands-on supervision, or simply not having to wait 1 year for your supervisor to read your papers, it might be a better idea to aim for younger, less established supervisors instead of older and famous supervisors. In most cases it's not a matter of tenure vs. tenure track, as workaholism typically does not vanish that easily. It has more to do with the level of energy and the number of responsabilities. Then again, choosing an unexperienced supervisor also has some risks as once in a while incompetent people manage to get through. I also want to reemphasize that this is a generalization and that your milage will vary.

Faute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2014, 11:18 PM
  #103
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faute View Post
From my experience, 10+ applications is somewhat common for International students but much less for Canadians. Personally, I tought that applying to one university was enough work. I guess I just feared rejection...

A piece of advice (and a broad generalization at that it must be said) I would not have expected before I entered graduate school (which might just have been me being naive). If you want more hands-on supervision, or simply not having to wait 1 year for your supervisor to read your papers, it might be a better idea to aim for younger, less established supervisors instead of older and famous supervisors. In most cases it's not a matter of tenure vs. tenure track, as workaholism typically does not vanish that easily. It has more to do with the level of energy and the number of responsabilities. Then again, choosing an unexperienced supervisor also has some risks as once in a while incompetent people manage to get through. I also want to reemphasize that this is a generalization and that your milage will vary.
Paperwork-wise, the first application is the one that requires the most work, especially true of applying to US schools.

I would have easily applied to 15+ if not of my budget. Had my budget been large enough, I would have applied to Stanford, UC Davis, MIT, Caltech, Harvard, Arizona State, Case Western as well. But here, better err on the side of too many than too few. 6 was definitely too few in my case.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2014, 11:26 PM
  #104
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,532
vCash: 500
Wow! The times they are a changing. I don't even know what a grad school application should look like.

Back in the days, you would just do an internship and stick there if you had any affinity with the research.

Congrats to you guys. Not sure I would have been able to go through that process.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2014, 12:12 AM
  #105
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
My parents have a name for those who apply to 15+ PhD programs: Chinese grant recipients (even though not all of them actually are Chinese grant recipients, but if there actually were Chinese grant recipients in the gang, think about NSERC PGS-M/D, NSF GRF for equivalent grants in Canada and the US respectively)

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2014, 07:22 PM
  #106
FazChenyuk
Registered User
 
FazChenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
Which should I take?

http://www.lasallecollege.com/progra...-business.aspx

Or http://www.lasallecollege.com/progra...echniques.aspx

One is webmaster training the other is Seo specialist, social Marketing specialist, (first one) It's extremely hard as I want to be a webmaster but being a Seo specialist you can create your own firm. Jobs wise I know webmaster or programmer is good. The webmaster program does have an Seo class but not as deep


Last edited by FazChenyuk: 12-13-2014 at 07:32 PM.
FazChenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 10:24 AM
  #107
FazChenyuk
Registered User
 
FazChenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
Any suggestion

FazChenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 12:51 PM
  #108
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
Any suggestion
I don't know the field that well but I'll try to give you some advice.

First off, do what you like. If you're asking me what the safest route is, I'd obviously say get a Bachelor's degree or something right? If you're asking me what you'll enjoy, I can't really tell you.

If it's a question of which program has better career prospects, that also depends. My brother recently did an AEC at LaSalle college and if not for having 2 other certificates from different schools he wouldn't have had enough hands on training.

The thing about E-Business is you can learn many of those things without needing to go to school for them. For example, Google Adwords/Analytics: a friend of mine studies this on her free time and these seem like major components to the course.

With the other program you might need more guidance. Softwares can be more challenging to get a hold of and understand so in that case it's worth the trouble.

If you really want a future in web/e-business I would first ask myself if you want to be on the technical portion(such as multimedia AEC) or on the business end(e-business AEC). If you choose the first, I would recommend that and possibly just do adwords/analytics in your free time.

In addition, you can couple these certs with this or do just that.

There's many options including Concordia's school of extended learning. http://cce.concordia.ca/departments/...te&DeptCode=CI

In the end, I can't tell you what you're willing to do or how comprehensive the programs are. It depends entirely on what you want to do as a career and if you're willing to fill the gap to reach it(if your aspirations are high).

College LaSalle along with other schools do have guidance. A friend of mine wanted to apply to Cisco Administration and the rep told him "To be honest, a lot of applicants already have a background and the program is fast tracked as a result" so he went to herzing instead which covered the A to Zs.

Best I could do to help you.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 04:26 PM
  #109
FazChenyuk
Registered User
 
FazChenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't know the field that well but I'll try to give you some advice.

First off, do what you like. If you're asking me what the safest route is, I'd obviously say get a Bachelor's degree or something right? If you're asking me what you'll enjoy, I can't really tell you.

If it's a question of which program has better career prospects, that also depends. My brother recently did an AEC at LaSalle college and if not for having 2 other certificates from different schools he wouldn't have had enough hands on training.

The thing about E-Business is you can learn many of those things without needing to go to school for them. For example, Google Adwords/Analytics: a friend of mine studies this on her free time and these seem like major components to the course.

With the other program you might need more guidance. Softwares can be more challenging to get a hold of and understand so in that case it's worth the trouble.

If you really want a future in web/e-business I would first ask myself if you want to be on the technical portion(such as multimedia AEC) or on the business end(e-business AEC). If you choose the first, I would recommend that and possibly just do adwords/analytics in your free time.

In addition, you can couple these certs with this or do just that.

There's many options including Concordia's school of extended learning. http://cce.concordia.ca/departments/...te&DeptCode=CI

In the end, I can't tell you what you're willing to do or how comprehensive the programs are. It depends entirely on what you want to do as a career and if you're willing to fill the gap to reach it(if your aspirations are high).

College LaSalle along with other schools do have guidance. A friend of mine wanted to apply to Cisco Administration and the rep told him "To be honest, a lot of applicants already have a background and the program is fast tracked as a result" so he went to herzing instead which covered the A to Zs.

Best I could do to help you.
Thanks mate well answered. I do it on free time now but you need some classes to get to next level I would be excited to have my own Seo or Web development firm and the multimedia one I think is a bit more programming and designin focused than Seo and Web marketing. I would feel like I am website guy but not the promotion website or email business guy


Last edited by FazChenyuk: 12-21-2014 at 04:35 PM.
FazChenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 05:18 PM
  #110
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
Thanks mate well answered. I do it on free time now but you need some classes to get to next level I would be excited to have my own Seo or Web development firm and the multimedia one I think is a bit more programming and designin focused than Seo and Web marketing. I would feel like I am website guy but not the promotion website or email business guy
have a few friends who went to school for design/multimedia and stuff like that... and overall they're not doing any better or worse than those who learned on their own.

AEC or equivalent (in multimedia, design, etc) are a waste of time and money.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 05:49 PM
  #111
FazChenyuk
Registered User
 
FazChenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
have a few friends who went to school for design/multimedia and stuff like that... and overall they're not doing any better or worse than those who learned on their own.

AEC or equivalent (in multimedia, design, etc) are a waste of time and money.
I understand but learning on your own doesn't get you a job but what would you recommend?

FazChenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2014, 06:35 PM
  #112
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
I understand but learning on your own doesn't get you a job but what would you recommend?
keep your fulltime job
learn on your own (but you know, if you're willing to go to school FT for this, spending 2 or 3H a day learning on your own shouldnt be a problem)
when you think you're ready, start promoting yourself
keep your ft job while starting to take small multimedia (or whatever you want to do) contracts
eventually start your own small business

something like that

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 02:27 AM
  #113
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
keep your fulltime job
learn on your own (but you know, if you're willing to go to school FT for this, spending 2 or 3H a day learning on your own shouldnt be a problem)
when you think you're ready, start promoting yourself
keep your ft job while starting to take small multimedia (or whatever you want to do) contracts
eventually start your own small business

something like that
To be fair people don't care where you learn some technical skills as long as you have proof you learnt it. I'm not sure he has that from learning it at home.

For example lasalle offers Cisco admin and so does Dawson and other cegeps. None of them get you certified. So funny part is of you can teach yourself and go pass the certification exam you're fine. In the case of multimedia I'm not sure there's a certificate to prove your worth. If there isn't he might as well do the course of it's right money.

Lasalle is private though so the more traditional cegeps prob offer AECs at a cheaper price.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 02:49 AM
  #114
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
To be fair people don't care where you learn some technical skills as long as you have proof you learnt it. I'm not sure he has that from learning it at home.

For example lasalle offers Cisco admin and so does Dawson and other cegeps. None of them get you certified. So funny part is of you can teach yourself and go pass the certification exam you're fine. In the case of multimedia I'm not sure there's a certificate to prove your worth. If there isn't he might as well do the course of it's right money.

Lasalle is private though so the more traditional cegeps prob offer AECs at a cheaper price.
if the goal is to be hired by a webdesign corp or something you're right, need the diploma...

if you want to start you're own little thing it's not needed, as long as you're willing to do your first few jobs on the cheap so you have something in your portfolio you'll be fine.

thinking of the people I know who are working in Internet related jobs I'd say the ones who went to school have safer jobs, the ones who didnt make more money

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 06:04 AM
  #115
viennese5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Anyone here who studies/studied at HEC and is somehow familiar with the Applied economics specialization?
I am an Austrian economics student who will be studying one term here and it would be nice to know someone whom I can ask if I have any questions.

viennese5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2014, 10:58 AM
  #116
FazChenyuk
Registered User
 
FazChenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
if the goal is to be hired by a webdesign corp or something you're right, need the diploma...

if you want to start you're own little thing it's not needed, as long as you're willing to do your first few jobs on the cheap so you have something in your portfolio you'll be fine. Some people are making more than us whole doing it

thinking of the people I know who are working in Internet related jobs I'd say the ones who went to school have safer jobs, the ones who didnt make more money
Yes and my goal is to get a safe job for now. Starting your own Corp while not having knowledge is like driving a car without a license

Learning those stuff from home or yourself is harder than you think but it could be done. Someone approached me to make money online with his system but those people that are cashing it big are prolly 5% of people. They have a marketing system in place which makes money but if it was this easy everyone would be making it


Last edited by FazChenyuk: 12-22-2014 at 11:13 AM.
FazChenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2015, 11:09 PM
  #117
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
Now that I've been admitted to Minnesota, one has to wonder what sort of jobs one can get out of a physics PhD from that place...

All that I did know was that some non-research jobs that can be obtained with a physics PhD were prestige-sensitive one way or another.

On the other hand, if I returned home afterward and teach at a CEGEP for some reason, I know it wouldn't then make any difference whether I earned a PhD from Minnesota or UPenn. I have the feeling that some research-starved CEGEPs would rather get their "researcher-designate" (e.g. a teacher that is likely to bring in grant money and encouraged to seek research grants by the administration) with their next hire... for I think there is an arms race between CEGEPs as far as research grants are concerned, and that arms race would take place in both arts and sciences.

You may curse the latest CEGEP collective bargaining agreement for this, since said CBA introduced (or formalized, don't remember which, but research-related clauses did change) research grants earmarked specifically for CEGEP teachers, whereby the unions claimed that there were massive losses of expertise, or such losses of expertise were otherwise expected to increase.


Last edited by Mathradio: 01-30-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2015, 10:20 AM
  #118
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 15,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Now that I've been admitted to Minnesota, one has to wonder what sort of jobs one can get out of a physics PhD from that place...

All that I did know was that some non-research jobs that can be obtained with a physics PhD were prestige-sensitive one way or another.

On the other hand, if I returned home afterward and teach at a CEGEP for some reason, I know it wouldn't then make any difference whether I earned a PhD from Minnesota or UPenn. I have the feeling that some research-starved CEGEPs would rather get their "researcher-designate" (e.g. a teacher that is likely to bring in grant money and encouraged to seek research grants by the administration) with their next hire... for I think there is an arms race between CEGEPs as far as research grants are concerned, and that arms race would take place in both arts and sciences.

You may curse the latest CEGEP collective bargaining agreement for this, since said CBA introduced (or formalized, don't remember which, but research-related clauses did change) research grants earmarked specifically for CEGEP teachers, whereby the unions claimed that there were massive losses of expertise, or such losses of expertise were otherwise expected to increase.
CEGEP teachers teach between two and four courses a semester and they don't have TAs to help them out. I have nothing against them but i'm skeptical that they'll ever be able to establish a diligent research culture.

With an astronomy PhD, you can also go work for Wall Street or for defense contractors, which people i know have done. Coding skills and knowledge of advanced statistics are important.

By advanced statistics, i don't mean sonething trivial like dividing goals scored per ice time which is what hockey bloggers think counts as "advanced". I mean Gibbs sampling, monte carlo simulations, knowing how to write down a likelihood function, accouting for covariances, etc.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2015, 09:50 PM
  #119
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
CEGEP teachers teach between two and four courses a semester and they don't have TAs to help them out. I have nothing against them but i'm skeptical that they'll ever be able to establish a diligent research culture.
It's easier to do with theoretical research and, as far as physics is concerned, observational astronomy or experimental particle physics... I know the average CEGEP won't have the resources to run, say, cutting-edge condensed matter experiments, or molecular biology experiments.

It's just a question of supply and demand, really. Even though, in terms of the skills required to perform the job, a BSc is normally sufficient, in practice, that career line is glutted enough for PhD holders having priority over MSc holders. In pure science (and IIRC the arts as well), the long-term trends point to more PhDs taking up faculty positions than in the near past (and perhaps even at an unprecedented level, despite their higher cost; it's debatable whether the extra expertise really is worth the extra cost), and each of these PhDs come with some research expertise, hence the loss of expertise the unions claimed took place.


Last edited by Mathradio: 02-01-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2015, 10:32 PM
  #120
LaurentHabs
Wat.
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,519
vCash: 500
Finally completed my apps for Desautels and Queens. Anyone know something about the Finance Co-Op of JMSB and HEC in general? Of course my first two choises are Desautels (McGill) & Queens, but I'm not sure which to put in third between JMSB and HEC. I'm leaning towards JMSB cause of the Co-Op program, but everything I read about HEC is either amazing, or that they're just leaching off HEC Paris' prestige

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2015, 09:38 PM
  #121
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Finally completed my apps for Desautels and Queens. Anyone know something about the Finance Co-Op of JMSB and HEC in general? Of course my first two choises are Desautels (McGill) & Queens, but I'm not sure which to put in third between JMSB and HEC. I'm leaning towards JMSB cause of the Co-Op program, but everything I read about HEC is either amazing, or that they're just leaching off HEC Paris' prestige
It is true that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of cross-applicants to both HEC Paris and HEC Montreal, almost all of which are from outside Quebec. But, as far as HEC Montreal is concerned, it is best known for 2 things: accounting and finance.

Only, what sort of R-score do you have (if you're an undergraduate applicant) or GPA/GMAT/work experience (if you're a MBA applicant)?

MBA admissions are, understandably, much more unpredictable than BBA/BCom ones. If your R-score is 29+ then it becomes a choice between McGill Desautels, JMSB or HEC (Queen's tends to look for non-academic factors also) if it was an undergraduate choice.


Last edited by Mathradio: 02-03-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2015, 10:12 PM
  #122
LaurentHabs
Wat.
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,519
vCash: 500
I'm at 30.5 right now, so I'm mostlikely going to get accepted in HEC/JMSB. Now it's just to see if i'll get in Desautels or not. Queens was a bit of a toss up, but decided that I had nothing to lose by applying despite the outrageously low acceptance %

We're talking about undergraduate here, by the way. MBA is down the line when I'll have something like 5 years of experience.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2015, 10:14 PM
  #123
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Finally completed my apps for Desautels and Queens. Anyone know something about the Finance Co-Op of JMSB and HEC in general? Of course my first two choises are Desautels (McGill) & Queens, but I'm not sure which to put in third between JMSB and HEC. I'm leaning towards JMSB cause of the Co-Op program, but everything I read about HEC is either amazing, or that they're just leaching off HEC Paris' prestige
Co-op is never a bad option but any of these schools are good. At the undergrad level I don't think any would really be set apart. Personally, I'd go for co-op and all but if you can find internships solo then go wherever you feel most comfortable.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2015, 10:34 PM
  #124
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I'm at 30.5 right now, so I'm mostlikely going to get accepted in HEC/JMSB. Now it's just to see if i'll get in Desautels or not. Queens was a bit of a toss up, but decided that I had nothing to lose by applying despite the outrageously low acceptance %

We're talking about undergraduate here, by the way. MBA is down the line when I'll have something like 5 years of experience.
UPenn Wharton is in the same range of outrageously low acceptance % as Queen's but a student with a 30.5 R-score would need far better extracurricular records to get in at Wharton (basically running a business that makes hundreds of thousands, if not millions, would render Wharton realistic then, not to mention 2200+ on the SAT or 33+ on the ACT) than at Queen's.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2015, 10:46 PM
  #125
LaurentHabs
Wat.
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
UPenn Wharton is in the same range of outrageously low acceptance % as Queen's but a student with a 30.5 R-score would need far better extracurricular records to get in at Wharton (basically running a business that makes hundreds of thousands, if not millions, would render Wharton realistic then, not to mention 2200+ on the SAT or 33+ on the ACT) than at Queen's.
Of course. UPenn is my father's ideal MBA school but I realize it's outrageously unlikely. London School of Business is my ideal situation, but that's extremely tough as well. Anyways lots of years left infront of me, lets start by getting a normal degree first

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.