HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The final cuts scenario

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 07:07 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
The final cuts scenario

17 Forwards remain for 14 spots....

1. Jagr 8. Halpern
2. Nylander 9. Miller
3. Zubrus 10. Sutherby
4. Lang 11. Semin
5. Grier 12. Gordon
6. Bondra 13. Whitfield
7. Konowalchuk 14. Peat
That leaves Henry, Pettinger, and Verot as the final cuts.
Does anyone see this any different?

10 Defensemen are left for 7 spots...

1. Gonchar 5. Doig
2. Boumedienne 6. Berry
3. Witt 7. Gruden
4. Eminger
Fortin and Yonkman will end training camp on IR and both will start the season on conditioning assignments at Portland. Kwiatkowski will be sent to Portland if he clears waivers.
Is this pretty much what everyone sees?

Old
09-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
For the forwards I definitely see Verot and Henry getting cut. I think the real battle is between Pettinger and Peat. Pettinger brings skill, speed and chipiness while Peat brings, well, we know what Peat brings. I still haven't decided who I'd rather see on the roster.

As for the defense, I think that the battle for the last spot is between Berry and Gruden. Like with the forward battle, these two guys bring different things to the table. It's up to management to decide whether they want finesse, skating and transition or physicality. Personally, I think we tried the finesse with Kiwi last year and it didn't work, so seeing as this is an experimental season anyway, why not try sacrificing a little bit of mobility for toughness. I say put in Berry over Gruden, although I think Gruden will make the team and Berry will be stuck in purgatory as te 7th dman.

So it looks as if the team will be:

Miller-Nylander-Jagr
Semin-Lang-Grier
Konowalchuk-Halpern-Bondra
Gordon-Sutherby-Peat (not sure who will play center between Gordon and Suts)

Gonchar-Boumediene
Witt-Eminger
Doig-Gruden

Kolzig
Charpentier

Old
09-29-2003, 08:04 AM
capsfan55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
Miller-Nylander-Jagr
Semin-Lang-Grier

Gonchar-Boumediene
Witt-Eminger
Doig-Gruden

Kolzig
Charpentier
*cough* Zubrus? *cough*

Old
09-29-2003, 08:55 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
For the forwards I definitely see Verot and Henry getting cut. I think the real battle is between Pettinger and Peat. Pettinger brings skill, speed and chipiness while Peat brings, well, we know what Peat brings. I still haven't decided who I'd rather see on the roster.

As for the defense, I think that the battle for the last spot is between Berry and Gruden. Like with the forward battle, these two guys bring different things to the table. It's up to management to decide whether they want finesse, skating and transition or physicality. Personally, I think we tried the finesse with Kiwi last year and it didn't work, so seeing as this is an experimental season anyway, why not try sacrificing a little bit of mobility for toughness. I say put in Berry over Gruden, although I think Gruden will make the team and Berry will be stuck in purgatory as te 7th dman.

So it looks as if the team will be:

Miller-Nylander-Jagr
Semin-Lang-Grier

Gonchar-Boumediene
Witt-Eminger
Doig-Gruden

Kolzig
Charpentier
You make some good points, but let me point to a couple of things
The forward battle is probably not between Pettinger and Peat. Its probably more like between Pettinger and Gordon. The Caps will keep one of the fighters regardless. I think it will be Peat, but they will keep one. I think they will dress him based on which 4th line they want to play. more on that to come........
I think Gruden is kept as the Caps 7th defenseman. He has played well and is 33 years old. He can better deliver his best game after not playing for 10 games than a young guy can.
the 4th line plan. i think the caps will have 2 4th lines that they will choose from. One will be a 3rd scoring line that they can throw out there against low grade 3rd pairs and 4th lines. the other will be a more physical 4th line.

1. Semin(or Miller)-Nylander-Jagr
2. Grier-Lang-Zubrus
3. Konowalchuk-Halpern-Bondra
4. Miller(or Semin)-Sutherby-Gordon/Sutherby-Whitfield-Peat
defense
1. Gonchar-Boumedienne
2. Witt-Eminger
3. Doig-Berry
scratch Gruden
pp 1st unit
Zubrus-Nylander-Jagr-Gonchar-Bondra
pp 2nd unit
Semin-Lang-Konowalchuk(Grier)-Gonchar-Halpern(seems to be Cassidy's new idea)
pk pairs
Kono-Halpern...Sutherby-Grier....Bondra-Lang
pk d
Witt-Eminger...Gonchar-Doig...Witt-Berry
how does that sound?>?

Old
09-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Mighty Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
17 Forwards remain for 14 spots....

1. Jagr 8. Halpern
2. Nylander 9. Miller
3. Zubrus 10. Sutherby
4. Lang 11. Semin
5. Grier 12. Gordon
6. Bondra 13. Whitfield
7. Konowalchuk 14. Peat
That leaves Henry, Pettinger, and Verot as the final cuts.
Does anyone see this any different?

10 Defensemen are left for 7 spots...

1. Gonchar 5. Doig
2. Boumedienne 6. Berry
3. Witt 7. Gruden
4. Eminger
Fortin and Yonkman will end training camp on IR and both will start the season on conditioning assignments at Portland. Kwiatkowski will be sent to Portland if he clears waivers.
Is this pretty much what everyone sees?
OK with most of this, but may I add that Henry will be there and maybe Pettinger. I know Semin and Gordon have great skill and upside, but you can't get to small as a team. We need the big guys as well, Peat and/or Henry can't do the fighting by themselves.

Gordon goes to Portland and Maybe Semin spends another year in Russia. He must learn some english. Also, Fortin will go to Portland on conditoning stint only if he agrees to it, or he could tell the Caps to put him on waivers. He doesn't have to report to Portland if they don't put him on waivers. Yonkman would have to go as he doesn't have to clear to be sent down.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:07 AM
ashaddcola

vCash:
Keep An Eye On

how Verot plays in the next couple games........he may be a sleeper.....can anyone explain who is exempt from the free agent draft, and of those who are not, how many can the Caps "protect" from being taken.....I simply do not understand how it works......thanks....

Old
09-29-2003, 10:32 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Duck
OK with most of this, but may I add that Henry will be there and maybe Pettinger. I know Semin and Gordon have great skill and upside, but you can't get to small as a team. We need the big guys as well, Peat and/or Henry can't do the fighting by themselves.

Gordon goes to Portland and Maybe Semin spends another year in Russia. He must learn some english. Also, Fortin will go to Portland on conditoning stint only if he agrees to it, or he could tell the Caps to put him on waivers. He doesn't have to report to Portland if they don't put him on waivers. Yonkman would have to go as he doesn't have to clear to be sent down.
The Capitals had the largest roster in the NHL last season. They can afford to get a little smaller. Besides Pettinger and Gordon are the same size. Semin is the only guy that is under 200 lbs. But geez, Jagr is 6-3
230, Zubrus 6-4 225, Lang 6-3 220, Bondra 6-0 200, Grier 6-1 227, Kono
6-1 220. Nylander is the only guy out of the top 9 forwards under 200lbs.
They can afford to keep Semin. As I posted I think its possible that Pettinger stays instead of Gordon and I think that is a toss up. But I see no point in keeping both Peat and Henry. The Caps won't dress both at the same time. Neither Peat or Henry do anything but skate the occasional fighter shift. Neither can skate a regular shift much less take a role on the pp or pk. On the other hand, Semin from all reports is holding his own with the big boys and bringing real skill and real application of that skill. Charged the net strong enough to knock Fluery on his can against Pittsburgh. The Caps made an investment by signing him and bringing him to camp. It was pretty clear that if Semin showed that he could keep up, he would get the roster spot that they had in mind for Sykora. I think from the evidence and the words of the management, coaching staff and teammates that Semin has gone beyond keeping up to being a credible force on the ice. He is getting scoring chances in bunches. He is not afraid to shoot the puck and is getting shots on goal...7 in two games. I have not seen the first indication from anyone involved that the Caps are anything short of sincerely impressed. Its my conclusion that unless things change, he will make the team. That he will play first line with Jagr and Nylander
and will get 2nd unit power play time. It may be just a 15 game experiment, but I think the Caps see a chance to have an advantage. A chance to give Jagr a quality closer that sees the ice well enough to passes thru to Jagr as well. A guy that could get Jagr going how everyone wants to see Jagr get going. IF he is not ready he goes back to russia and Miller is back on the first line. I think with that choice the Caps are more than willing to give the kid a shot.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Mighty Duck

[QUOTE=txpd]The Capitals had the largest roster in the NHL last season. They can afford to get a little smaller. Besides Pettinger and Gordon are the same size. Semin is the only guy that is under 200 lbs. But geez, Jagr is 6-3
They can afford to keep Semin. As I posted I think its possible that Pettinger stays instead of Gordon and I think that is a toss up. But I see no point in keeping both Peat and Henry. The Caps won't dress both at the same time. Neither Peat or Henry do anything but skate the occasional fighter shift. Neither can skate a regular shift much less take a role on the pp or pk. On the other hand, Semin from all reports is holding his own with the big boys and bringing real skill and real application of that skill. Charged the net strong enough to knock Fluery on his can against Pittsburgh. The Caps made an investment by signing him and bringing him to camp. It was pretty clear that if Semin showed that he could keep up, he would get the roster spot that they had in mind for Sykora. I think from the evidence and the words of the management, coaching staff and teammates that Semin has gone beyond keeping up to being a credible force on the ice. He is getting scoring chances in bunches. He is not afraid to shoot the puck and is getting shots on goal...7 in two games. I have not seen the first indication from anyone involved that the Caps are anything short of sincerely impressed. Its my conclusion that unless things change, he will make the team. That he will play first line with Jagr and Nylander
and will get 2nd unit power play time. It may be just a 15 game experiment, but I think the Caps see a chance to have an advantage. A chance to give Jagr a quality closer that sees the ice well enough to passes thru to Jagr as well. A guy that could get Jagr going how everyone wants to see Jagr get going. IF he is not ready he goes back to russia and Miller is back on the first line. I think with that choice the Caps are more than willing to give the kid a shot.[/QUOTE

Not to argumentive, but how would anyone know whether Peat or Henry could skate a regular shift. They only get 3 to 4 minutes a game. I believe Henry and Peat have the skill, if given the confidence and opportunity, they could contribute more. Both these guys have been labeled goons. Is that not a skill, or was Ali a goon just because he could fight. The Semins, Gordons and Pettingers will only contribute if they are given the chance or will become what you people think Peat and Henry are. Look at the # of prospects the Caps have let go, only to flourish someplace else. As you say, Henry and Peat are not given enough credit for what they bring to the table. Would you settle for a Brashear in the lineup. Well, I bet Montreal would love to have him back, as they gave up, saying he had no skill, was just a goon. Well, get rid of Peat and/or Henry and Brashear will have a hay day slapping our skill guys around silly. The problem lies with the coach unable to find a way for these guys to contribute daily, as these types of players are needed on the roster these days whether you like it or not.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:27 AM
txpd

[QUOTE=Mighty Duck]
Quote:
The Capitals had the largest roster in the NHL last season. They can afford to get a little smaller. Besides Pettinger and Gordon are the same size. Semin is the only guy that is under 200 lbs. But geez, Jagr is 6-3
and will get 2nd unit power play time. It may be just a 15 game experiment, but I think the Caps see a chance to have an advantage. A chance to give Jagr a quality closer that sees the ice well enough to passes thru to Jagr as well. A guy that could get Jagr going how everyone wants to see Jagr get going. IF he is not ready he goes back to russia and Miller is back on the first line. I think with that choice the Caps are more than willing to give the kid a shot.[/QUOTE

Not to argumentive, but how would anyone know whether Peat or Henry could skate a regular shift. They only get 3 to 4 minutes a game. I believe Henry and Peat have the skill, if given the confidence and opportunity, they could contribute more. Both these guys have been labeled goons. Is that not a skill, or was Ali a goon just because he could fight. The Semins, Gordons and Pettingers will only contribute if they are given the chance or will become what you people think Peat and Henry are. Look at the # of prospects the Caps have let go, only to flourish someplace else. As you say, Henry and Peat are not given enough credit for what they bring to the table. Would you settle for a Brashear in the lineup. Well, I bet Montreal would love to have him back, as they gave up, saying he had no skill, was just a goon. Well, get rid of Peat and/or Henry and Brashear will have a hay day slapping our skill guys around silly. The problem lies with the coach unable to find a way for these guys to contribute daily, as these types of players are needed on the roster these days whether you like it or not.
Where have you seen this skill that Peat and Henry are supposed to have? Peat in 8 hockey seasons has scored more than 5 goals in an entire season once. Never as a pro. He had 7 shots on goal last year.
Some hockey players get that in a game. Many in a week. Peat's junior and minor league career makes a player like Trent Whitfield look like Wayne Gretzky. I like Henry. He plays hard, but shortly after the Caps got him they put him out on defense late in a game that the Caps had a
4-0 lead. Two Henry shifts later it was 4-2. He needs a tug boat to help him change direction. There is no comparison between players like Peat and Henry and Brashear. Brashear scored 12, 12, 18 in the qmjhl.
He also scored 38 goals in the AHL. Peat didn't have 12 goals in his junior career. YES, goon is a skill. But one is enough. How many teams dress two fighters for a game?

Old
09-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Mighty Duck

Quote:
Where have you seen this skill that Peat and Henry are supposed to have? Peat in 8 hockey seasons has scored more than 5 goals in an entire season once. Never as a pro. He had 7 shots on goal last year.
Some hockey players get that in a game. Many in a week. Peat's junior and minor league career makes a player like Trent Whitfield look like Wayne Gretzky. I like Henry. He plays hard, but shortly after the Caps got him they put him out on defense late in a game that the Caps had a
4-0 lead. Two Henry shifts later it was 4-2. He needs a tug boat to help him change direction. There is no comparison between players like Peat and Henry and Brashear. Brashear scored 12, 12, 18 in the qmjhl.
He also scored 38 goals in the AHL. Peat didn't have 12 goals in his junior career. YES, goon is a skill. But one is enough. How many teams dress two fighters for a game?
It is funny how you think they have no skill when there some players who get a ton of ice time, score few, if any goals and not just on the 4th line. Some of these players have played for several years, but their skill was measured in what they brought to the team. You may be misguided in your ability to evaluate talent by looking at the stat sheets to much. Some times mistakes are made when evaluating talent with tunnel vision, only looking at what they or you define as talent. This is were you win or lose. Maybe your team will win or maybe your team will lose.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:36 PM
txpd

Quote:
It is funny how you think they have no skill when there some players who get a ton of ice time, score few, if any goals and not just on the 4th line. Some of these players have played for several years, but their skill was measured in what they brought to the team. You may be misguided in your ability to evaluate talent by looking at the stat sheets to much. Some times mistakes are made when evaluating talent with tunnel vision, only looking at what they or you define as talent. This is were you win or lose. Maybe your team will win or maybe your team will lose.
there are some players who get a ton of ice time who score few, if any goals and not just on the 4th line? Who? First...what qualifies as a ton of ice time? Second, Peat is a forward and Henry plays mostly forward.
For the sake of this post I will take a tone of ice time to be something over 10:00 average per game and that we are talking about forwards. Jagr and Bondra have scored 50. Lang and Nylander have scored 20, Grier, Konowalchuk and Halpern have scored 20 or more. Semin is a rookie, but he did lead the russian lead in scoring in last years playoffs. Miller had 50 pts last season. Which of these guys that are getting a ton of ice time and scoring few if any goals are you talking about? Are you in some way trying to compare Peat to Witt? For Peat or Henry to be able to carry a regular shift on a NHL team they need to be able to Handle the puck at least enough to dump the puck in from center ice and be able to catch a pass and shoot it into an empty net. He needs to be able to play the system and be able to at minimum throw a fundimental body check. Both of those guys have not shown they can do that. Otherwise they would play more. The Capitals dressed them both twice last season. Every shift that they took accept one when the puck found its way into the Caps zone the goalie stopped the play or the puck was iced. With those 2 guys on the ice the Caps had no chance of getting out without shooting it out. That says a lot. I
there are guys that skate like the tazmanian devil, hit and make stir the pot and build energy. if Peat could do that, he would play 8-9:00 a game. At minimum that is what Sutherby did last year. That and winning face offs is all Whitfield can do in the NHL. That and kill penalties. Are you saying that Cassidy is blinded by Peat's fighting skills and doesn't realize that he could bring something to the penalty killing unit?
I never said I don't like these guys. I would keep Peat. I see no reason to keep them both. They both won't dress for the same game. So why not play one and let the other one stay fresh in the AHL?

Old
09-29-2003, 01:29 PM
PSUhockey34

No one is expecting peat or henry to be anything more then 3rd or 4th line guys...but they do what is advertised of them and I feel peat is one of the better 4th line fighters in the league and warrants seeing 7 minutes a game...peat/henry are better 4th line players then gordon or semin...just b/c txpd you have no love for goon type hockey players, doesnt mean the dont have a place on a hockey team...we need players that are going to get the dirty work done, especially on a team as soft as ours...grier, kono, halpren and suts all have the heart to standup for our guys but with being so thin on defense we need those guys out of the penalty box and on the ice

I really havent seen henry or peat make any stupid plays that have cost a game...i do agree with you in that there is no point at keeping all 3 of verot, henry and peat together

Old
09-29-2003, 01:57 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfan55
*cough* Zubrus? *cough*
oops

Old
09-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Mighty Duck

Quote:
there are some players who get a ton of ice time who score few, if any goals and not just on the 4th line? Who? First...what qualifies as a ton of ice time? Second, Peat is a forward and Henry plays mostly forward.
For the sake of this post I will take a tone of ice time to be something over 10:00 average per game and that we are talking about forwards. Jagr and Bondra have scored 50. Lang and Nylander have scored 20, Grier, Konowalchuk and Halpern have scored 20 or more. Semin is a rookie, but he did lead the russian lead in scoring in last years playoffs. Miller had 50 pts last season. Which of these guys that are getting a ton of ice time and scoring few if any goals are you talking about? Are you in some way trying to compare Peat to Witt? For Peat or Henry to be able to carry a regular shift on a NHL team they need to be able to Handle the puck at least enough to dump the puck in from center ice and be able to catch a pass and shoot it into an empty net. He needs to be able to play the system and be able to at minimum throw a fundimental body check. Both of those guys have not shown they can do that. Otherwise they would play more. The Capitals dressed them both twice last season. Every shift that they took accept one when the puck found its way into the Caps zone the goalie stopped the play or the puck was iced. With those 2 guys on the ice the Caps had no chance of getting out without shooting it out. That says a lot. I
there are guys that skate like the tazmanian devil, hit and make stir the pot and build energy. if Peat could do that, he would play 8-9:00 a game. At minimum that is what Sutherby did last year. That and winning face offs is all Whitfield can do in the NHL. That and kill penalties. Are you saying that Cassidy is blinded by Peat's fighting skills and doesn't realize that he could bring something to the penalty killing unit?
I never said I don't like these guys. I would keep Peat. I see no reason to keep them both. They both won't dress for the same game. So why not play one and let the other one stay fresh in the AHL?
I agree whole heartdly on your last statement, as losing both guys would be a shame, as if one get injured, which will happen, it will leave the Caps in a tough situation, as you really don't want Witt, Doig or Grier fighting. But, the system dictates you can't send these guys down without clearing waivers. I am sure either guy would get picked up, so the other alternative is to develop them into every day players, or try to.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3owner
No one is expecting peat or henry to be anything more then 3rd or 4th line guys...but they do what is advertised of them and I feel peat is one of the better 4th line fighters in the league and warrants seeing 7 minutes a game...peat/henry are better 4th line players then gordon or semin...just b/c txpd you have no love for goon type hockey players, doesnt mean the dont have a place on a hockey team...we need players that are going to get the dirty work done, especially on a team as soft as ours...grier, kono, halpren and suts all have the heart to standup for our guys but with being so thin on defense we need those guys out of the penalty box and on the ice

I really havent seen henry or peat make any stupid plays that have cost a game...i do agree with you in that there is no point at keeping all 3 of verot, henry and peat together
You are right. I don't believe the pure goon has much value. I don't see how PJ Stock beating the crap out of Stephen Peat is going to stop Brendan Witt from knocking the snot out of Sergei Samsanov. Stock is not going to be getting in Witt's grill about. It just doesn't happen. But I understand that there is a need for a player like Stephen Peat. On the other hand I can never imagine Peat being a 3rd line player like Steve Konowalchuk. As Semin or Gordon not being as good a 4th line player as Peat. The GM and the coach have already spoken on that.
Last year Henry played 38 games. Peat played 27 games. Do do the math. Thats nearly 25% of the games where neither played. McPhee has said that its very possible that the Caps will go with a none traditional 4th line..without the grinders because with Semina and Gordon and Sutherby they can role 4 lines. He said the last time they ran 4 lines they went to the finals. So, its not just me that's talking about keeping one fighter and dressing him against the right teams and scratching him for another plan against other teams.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Mighty Duck

Quote:
You are right. I don't believe the pure goon has much value. I don't see how PJ Stock beating the crap out of Stephen Peat is going to stop Brendan Witt from knocking the snot out of Sergei Samsanov. Stock is not going to be getting in Witt's grill about. It just doesn't happen. But I understand that there is a need for a player like Stephen Peat. On the other hand I can never imagine Peat being a 3rd line player like Steve Konowalchuk. As Semin or Gordon not being as good a 4th line player as Peat. The GM and the coach have already spoken on that.
Last year Henry played 38 games. Peat played 27 games. Do do the math. Thats nearly 25% of the games where neither played. McPhee has said that its very possible that the Caps will go with a none traditional 4th line..without the grinders because with Semina and Gordon and Sutherby they can role 4 lines. He said the last time they ran 4 lines they went to the finals. So, its not just me that's talking about keeping one fighter and dressing him against the right teams and scratching him for another plan against other teams.
I guess we can agree to disagree, but I will bet my team would kick your team 9 times out of 10. Also, when Peat was up with the Caps as he was in Portland last year after his injury to his hand, he dress for 90% of the games he was available to play.

And, yes the Caps went to the finals with 4 lines, but also had Simon, Hunter and I think Tinordi. the Caps were a tough team, played tough. They weren't loaded up with soft Euro's who need a policeman type to make sure they don't wet their pants when the going get tough. Also, the game has changed, and it changes every year, dictated by some degree on the make up of the Stanley Cup Winner. The line up you are suggesting will get their lunch fed to them by teams out west, if they get that far, but teams like Philly, Rags, Toronto to name a few, play a type of game which is the last man standing wins. I know you understand the need for a guy like Peat and henry, but i believe in time, and given a chance, these two can contribute as forwards. I didn't say penalty kill, but energy line, and maybe shut down line. Yes the Caps are big, but don't play big. Look at a team like Detroit, they are not that big of a team, but play big. With the addition of Hatcher, the need to have a second enforcer other than McCarty is not there.

Lets keep this constructive, by coming up with ideas, rather than, carve up the house McPhee built. One positive thing, is the emmergence of guys like Gordon, Sutherby and Semin. But, hopefully, they are not 4th line players,and if they don't unseed someone off the 1st or second line, maybe they should get quality ice time in Portland to develop their game. Sitting at the end of the bench, waiting for Jagr to get tired is not the way to get better. I can see Semin replacing Miller next year, Gordon replacing Halpern and Sutherby replacing Lang. I see Mcphee continuing with the plan to get younger and cheaper.

Now as far as 4th line players, no big deal, does it really matter who plays 4th line, as they will not see the ice that much anyway. So, if you want Peat or Henry gone, I will waive my magic wand, your wish is my command.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:34 AM
txpd

Quote:
I agree whole heartdly on your last statement, as losing both guys would be a shame, as if one get injured, which will happen, it will leave the Caps in a tough situation, as you really don't want Witt, Doig or Grier fighting. But, the system dictates you can't send these guys down without clearing waivers. I am sure either guy would get picked up, so the other alternative is to develop them into every day players, or try to.
Peat went back to Portland twice last season. I see no reason why one of those two couldn't be sent to the AHL. By the way. How often do you think Peat or Henry fight anyway? In a combined 68 games Henry and Peat had 17 major penalties last year. about one fight for every 3.5 games. 82 games....17 major penalties.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:52 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Peat may have to clear waivers to be sent to Portland. Henry would have to (that's how the Caps got him, IIRC). I'll try to find something more definitive on Peat.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Peat may have to clear waivers to be sent to Portland. Henry would have to (that's how the Caps got him, IIRC). I'll try to find something more definitive on Peat.
oh, I think you are right about Peat. I am only saying that he was sent down twice last year and had to go thru it last year as well.

Another interesting note. According to this morning's Washington Times, the Caps are planning on keeping 13 forwards and 8 defensemen as opposed to the 14 and 7 that the Post reported last week. If 13 forwards are what they keep, they will have to choose between Peat and Henry and could only keep one of the Gordon, Whitfield, Pettinger group. 8 defensemen means they are putting off all decisions on the defensemen. They can send both Fortin and Yonkman to Portland on rehab/conditioning. That leaves the other 8, Gonch, Witt, Eminger, Boume, Doig, Kiwi, Gruden, & Berry.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:32 AM
Mighty Duck

Quote:
oh, I think you are right about Peat. I am only saying that he was sent down twice last year and had to go thru it last year as well.

Another interesting note. According to this morning's Washington Times, the Caps are planning on keeping 13 forwards and 8 defensemen as opposed to the 14 and 7 that the Post reported last week. If 13 forwards are what they keep, they will have to choose between Peat and Henry and could only keep one of the Gordon, Whitfield, Pettinger group. 8 defensemen means they are putting off all decisions on the defensemen. They can send both Fortin and Yonkman to Portland on rehab/conditioning. That leaves the other 8, Gonch, Witt, Eminger, Boume, Doig, Kiwi, Gruden, & Berry.
They can send Yonkman down for rehab, whether he likes it or not. But as far as Fortin is concerned, he would have to agree to the rehab stint in Portland to be sent down or the Caps would have to put him on waivers.

It look more like either Peat or Henry's days in Washington are numbered. I can't see them getting much in return, if anything for either player.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:19 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

M Duck

Not to bust your balls or anything...well yeah I actually am,

"was Ali a goon just because he could fight"

What a horrible analogy.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
Not to bust your balls or anything...well yeah I actually am,

"was Ali a goon just because he could fight"

What a horrible analogy.
Ali was a boxer. His game the fight game.
Ali was not a hockey player. In hockey fighters are typically called goons or enforcers. i believe there is an entire HFboard titled as such.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:47 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

With Whitfield and Verot sent down today, I think the forwards are set:

1) Jagr
2) Nylander
3) Miller
4) Zubrus
5) Lang
6) Grier
7) Bondra
8) Halpern
9) Konowalchuk
10) Semin
11) Sutherby
12) Pettinger
13) Gordon
14) Peat

I kind of like that lineup, we are getting the youth movement after all.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:47 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar
With Whitfield and Verot sent down today, I think the forwards are set:

1) Jagr
2) Nylander
3) Miller
4) Zubrus
5) Lang
6) Grier
7) Bondra
8) Halpern
9) Konowalchuk
10) Semin
11) Sutherby
12) Pettinger
13) Gordon
14) Peat

I kind of like that lineup, we are getting the youth movement after all.
i am not sure that its clear what the capitals choice is going to be between peat and henry. mcphee and cassidy seemed to prefer henry
last season. i would keep peat, myself, but i think what will happen with that spot is still open to some interpretation. both are dressed tonight against the flyers. cassidy has left gonchar and witt out of the lineup
and i suspect it may UGLY tonight.

Old
10-05-2003, 08:50 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

More developments now I guess. Yonkman sent down, Nylander and Henry injured, active in the waiver draft.

In no particular order:

1) Jagr
2) Sutherby
3) Miller
4) Zubrus
5) Lang
6) Grier
7) Bondra
8) Halpern
9) Konowalchuk
10) Semin
11) Pettinger
12) Peat
13) Willsie

14) Gonchar
15) Witt
16) Doig
17) Kiwi
18) Gruden
19) Boumer
20) Berry

21) Kolzig
22) Charpentier

Who's lucky 23? I'd say Gordon, even though it might not be the best idea developmentally, but we are short a center now. I have no idea about the defense. I really want to believe that Fortin could do a better job than Kiwi, he's just had a bad injury/illness run like Yonkman.

Kind of depressing looking at this lineup. It doesn't dazzle in any way whatsoever. It's very patchwork.

Closed Thread