HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Based on camp and exhibition games, with what squad would you open the season with?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Based on camp and exhibition games, with what squad would you open the season with?

Prior to camp there were still about 4, maybe 5 spots completely vacant. There were some players already pencilled in (Svoboda, Tjärnqvist, Lessard) but due to the competitiveness during camp and solid individual efforts during the games, things have gotten a lot more interesting. So based on the performances of all the youngsters along with the Stars needs, with what roster would you start the season with?

Here's mine:

Brenden Morrow - Jason Arnott - Bill Guerin
Vojtach Polak - Mike Modano - Jere Lehtinen
Antti Miettinen - Niko Kapanen - Jussi Jokinen
Steve Ott - Yared Hagos - Stu Barnes

Scratch #1: Jaroslav Svoboda (due to one-way contract)
Scratch #2: Garret Burnett (godda have an enforcer)
Scratch #3: David Oliver (preferably in Iowa)

Junior Lessard and Mattias Tjärnqvist start in Iowa and are the first to be called up.

This has the MAG remaining intact, something I think might turn out to be crucial. Modano plays with Lehtinen and a young, inexperienced, but skilled sniper. The duo should more than enough make up for Polak's (defensive) mistakes. The 3rd line is young, but I like the upside of it. I want an all-Finnish line for years now and I think this trio can work together effectively. I don't think chemestry will be an issue here, nor are their defensive qualities. The 4th line is just a nasty line to play against.

Sergei Zubov - Jon Klemm
Martin Skoula - Philippe Boucher
Trevor Daley - John Erskine

Scratch #1: Stephane Robidas
Scratch #2: Dan Jancevski

Erskine seems to be doing alright in camp. Being improved slightly.. I like Robidas but Erskine should compliment Daley better. Also gives us 3 offensive d-men and 3 defensive d-men.

Marty Turco
Johan Hedberg

Call up #1: Mike Smith
Call up #2: Dan Ellis

Smith continues to outplay Dan Ellis.

Old
09-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Icey

Not much I really agree with there.

Old
09-24-2005, 11:15 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
Prior to camp there were still about 4, maybe 5 spots completely vacant. There were some players already pencilled in (Svoboda, Tjärnqvist, Lessard) but due to the competitiveness during camp and solid individual efforts during the games, things have gotten a lot more interesting. So based on the performances of all the youngsters along with the Stars needs, with what roster would you start the season with?

Here's mine:

Brenden Morrow - Jason Arnott - Bill Guerin
Vojtach Polak - Mike Modano - Jere Lehtinen
Antti Miettinen - Niko Kapanen - Jussi Jokinen
Steve Ott - Yared Hagos - Stu Barnes

Scratch #1: Jaroslav Svoboda (due to one-way contract)
Scratch #2: Garret Burnett (godda have an enforcer)
Scratch #3: David Oliver (preferably in Iowa)

Junior Lessard and Mattias Tjärnqvist start in Iowa and are the first to be called up.

This has the MAG remaining intact, something I think might turn out to be crucial. Modano plays with Lehtinen and a young, inexperienced, but skilled sniper. The duo should more than enough make up for Polak's (defensive) mistakes. The 3rd line is young, but I like the upside of it. I want an all-Finnish line for years now and I think this trio can work together effectively. I don't think chemestry will be an issue here, nor are their defensive qualities. The 4th line is just a nasty line to play against.

Sergei Zubov - Jon Klemm
Martin Skoula - Philippe Boucher
Trevor Daley - John Erskine

Scratch #1: Stephane Robidas
Scratch #2: Dan Jancevski

Erskine seems to be doing alright in camp. Being improved slightly.. I like Robidas but Erskine should compliment Daley better. Also gives us 3 offensive d-men and 3 defensive d-men.

Marty Turco
Johan Hedberg

Call up #1: Mike Smith
Call up #2: Dan Ellis

Smith continues to outplay Dan Ellis.
I still dont think Lessard ever makes an impact.
Also im not sure why you say smith continues to outplay Dan Ellis? Just a few games ago ellis was awesome and smith got lit up.

Old
09-24-2005, 11:57 AM
starshockeyfan56

Miettinen - Arnott - Guerin
Morrow - Modano - Lehtinen
Polak - Kapanen - Jokinen
Ott - Barnes - Oliver

Zubov - Boucher
Klemm - Skoula
Daley - Robidas

Old
09-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshockeyfan56
Miettinen - Arnott - Guerin
Morrow - Modano - Lehtinen
Polak - Kapanen - Jokinen
Ott - Barnes - Oliver

Zubov - Boucher
Klemm - Skoula
Daley - Robidas
I would switch Morrow and Miettinen. Miettinen and Modano have some serious chemistry and the Morrow-Arnott-Guerin line last season was unstoppable.

I just wouldn't put that third defensive pairing. Daley needs a better defensive partner if we expect him to develop into what everyone wants. I put Daley with Boucher and Robidas with Zubov.

Old
09-24-2005, 03:55 PM
starshockeyfan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey
I would switch Morrow and Miettinen. Miettinen and Modano have some serious chemistry and the Morrow-Arnott-Guerin line last season was unstoppable.

I just wouldn't put that third defensive pairing. Daley needs a better defensive partner if we expect him to develop into what everyone wants. I put Daley with Boucher and Robidas with Zubov.

I thought about switchin up Zubov and Boucher, but they did really well together the last few seasons, and both have a cannon from the point.

Perhaps it makes more sense to split them up. And with regards to Miettinen, he is working extremely well with Arnott and Guerin right now..I haven't seen modano play with him much, but he's working really well with Arnott and Guerin. Morrow obviously plays well with them too, but he would work well with modano and lehtinen as well. He is the crash the net and battle guy, where modano is the speedster/play maker, and lehtinen is the defensive one, and we all know he can score.

I think Arnott really needs to play bigger this year. When he does that, it wont really matter whether its morrow or miettinen, the line will be rock solid.

Old
09-24-2005, 04:20 PM
txomisc

Quote:

I propose this
Jokinen-Modano-Lehtinen
Gives Modano a play he is comfortable with (Lehtinen) and another guy who can actually skate, carry the puck, and finish. Could be a very good two way line.
Miettinen-Arnott-Guerin
If there was a problem with the M-A-G line, it was lack of finish. They could cycle like noones business but often struggled to actually put one home. Miettinen seems to have chemistry with Arnott and Guerin and could add a new dynamic to a line without a real good passer.
Morrow-Kapanen-Polak
I know Morrow is not a third liner but as i recall, he and Kapanen played very well together, especially with lehtinen on their line. Kapanen and Polak could use a bruiser like Morrow to get them some open ice and go to the net.
Ott-Barnes-Tjarnqvist (perhaps Tjarqvist-Ott-Barnes)
Looks to me like a trio that can be a real pain in the *** to play against. I also see some pretty darn good defensive play and some timely offense coming out of a line like this.

Old
09-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc
I propose this
Jokinen-Modano-Lehtinen
Gives Modano a play he is comfortable with (Lehtinen) and another guy who can actually skate, carry the puck, and finish. Could be a very good two way line.
Miettinen-Arnott-Guerin
If there was a problem with the M-A-G line, it was lack of finish. They could cycle like noones business but often struggled to actually put one home. Miettinen seems to have chemistry with Arnott and Guerin and could add a new dynamic to a line without a real good passer.
Morrow-Kapanen-Polak
I know Morrow is not a third liner but as i recall, he and Kapanen played very well together, especially with lehtinen on their line. Kapanen and Polak could use a bruiser like Morrow to get them some open ice and go to the net.
Ott-Barnes-Tjarnqvist (perhaps Tjarqvist-Ott-Barnes)
Looks to me like a trio that can be a real pain in the *** to play against. I also see some pretty darn good defensive play and some timely offense coming out of a line like this.
Closer to my thoughts although I would try Polak at times with Mo and Lets. Polak can finish while Kaps-Morrow and Jokes are solid 2 way line. I also like Hagos alot. He hustles and solid on PK and Draws. A 4th line of Ott-Hagos and Barnes would be a real pain with Svoboda and Lessard the 2 scratches. Really Oliver is there only if you think Lessard needs to play everyday. It seems to me that Lessard needs to know he won't be pulled everytime . he makes a mistake. He could learn from the big guys and play 40 games and could help down the road. Burnett is awful not sure he is even worth a spot in Iowa. Tjarnqvist is my first callup.

Last edited by Starsdude: 09-24-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old
09-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshockeyfan56
I thought about switchin up Zubov and Boucher, but they did really well together the last few seasons, and both have a cannon from the point.

Perhaps it makes more sense to split them up. And with regards to Miettinen, he is working extremely well with Arnott and Guerin right now..I haven't seen modano play with him much, but he's working really well with Arnott and Guerin. Morrow obviously plays well with them too, but he would work well with modano and lehtinen as well. He is the crash the net and battle guy, where modano is the speedster/play maker, and lehtinen is the defensive one, and we all know he can score.

I think Arnott really needs to play bigger this year. When he does that, it wont really matter whether its morrow or miettinen, the line will be rock solid.
Putting Boucher with Zubov one of them has to play not on their natural side. Boucher did it last season, but he's more effective on his natural side.

Miettinen has been on a line mostly with Modano the last two games. I think once Morrow is in the line-up you'll want Guerin-Arnott-Morrow. They are more effective and Mike and Antti seem to play very well together. Either way Antti will do well on either line. This kid is good, mark my words on it. Remember he was drafted in the 7th round.

Old
09-24-2005, 07:59 PM
starshockeyfan56

Oh believe me, nobody praises him more than I do. There is no doubt in my mind that he will prove to be an elite forward in the NHL.

I agree with you completely that Miettinen would do good with either line.

Old
09-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Dat1guy

Quote:
Putting Boucher with Zubov one of them has to play not on their natural side. Boucher did it last season, but he's more effective on his natural side.

Miettinen has been on a line mostly with Modano the last two games. I think once Morrow is in the line-up you'll want Guerin-Arnott-Morrow. They are more effective and Mike and Antti seem to play very well together. Either way Antti will do well on either line. This kid is good, mark my words on it. Remember he was drafted in the 7th round.
That's not true. Jokinen's been playing along side Modano the last two games.

Old
09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Icey

I saw him more than just a few times on a line with Modano at both games. He had been practicing with Modano.

I think Morrow has more chemistry with Arnott and Guerin. Why would you want to break that line up? Morrow and Modano have as much chemistry as Modano and Guerin have.

Old
09-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Dat1guy

Quote:
I saw him more than just a few times on a line with Modano at both games. He had been practicing with Modano.

I think Morrow has more chemistry with Arnott and Guerin. Why would you want to break that line up? Morrow and Modano have as much chemistry as Modano and Guerin have.
You may have seen him on a line at both games, but it may have been in PP situation. Not really sure.

As for your chemistry comment, I'd say that Billy and Arnie have the chemistry advantage. It's almost weird that it's the same chemistry Arnie has with Oliver (with lesser skills).

Morrow is one that can be moved up and down the lineup with no problem. As long as the worker-type mentality is still employed by him, there wouldn't be a real problem would there?

Also, if the league is for real in calling all things that remotely look like an infraction (mixed bag so far, as I have watched 5 preseason games so far), the adjusted MAG line would be fine. This would also allow Morrow to add a scoring punch to the lower lines if need be. He did pretty well along side Kappy and Lehts a couple seasons ago. A lot of Kapanen's stats that year can be credited to his wingers. Fluke? Who knows. I do know there was some moaning going on when Morrow and Lehtinen were moved back up in an effort to balance things out the following season.

I will not go into it further, how the moves may have contributed to the Soph. slump by Kapanen.

Old
09-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
There is a consistant line right now of Miettinen-Arnott-Guerin. In 5 v. 5 situations (including practice), that's what they've been going with, and I assume it'll stay that way. Miettinen's been on the four-forward power play unit with Modano, Arnott and Guerin (with Zubov in the other role), so that may have been what people are seeing.

I assume the second line would be Morrow-Modano-Lehtinen (or first line, it's hard to call that a second line). And if you wanted to add another scorer, you move Morrow down to the third line and move up Jokinen (assuming he's made the roster).

Third line you have a lot of options. Kapanen should (and probably will be) your center with Barnes on a right wing. Then Jokinen or Morrow on the left wing, or if Jokinen goes down to Iowa to get top line minutes, you can move Ott up there.

Fourth line you've got Hagos as the center with Ott on the left wing. Oliver, Tjarnqvist, Svoboda fill out the right wings or one could also be on the left wing if Ott goes up. If Hagos goes south, send him down for development purposes, put Barnes in the center role and move Svoboda or someone up to third-line right wing.

I don't think they start Polak up in Dallas. He needs top-two line time with his skill set, and there's not a position for him there, espeically with Jokinen apparently sticking around. He'll be a great asset next year and a great call up if one of the sniper guys gets hurt, but I really see the Stars sticking him on the top line in Iowa.

I don't know much about the shots on defense. I do know that Zubov-Daley has been a pairing, and Robidas looks pretty good and should legitimately be the number five. I figure Erskine will be the scratch most nights, and I really don't know whether or not they'll pair Boucher with Robidas or Skoula.

So here's the forwards.
Miettinen-Arnott-Guerin
Jokinen/Morrow-Modano-Lehtinen
Jokinen/Morrow-Kapanen-Barnes
Ott-Hagos-Svoboda

Scratches: Tjarnqvist, Oliver, Burnett

Defense
Zubov-Daley
Boucher-Robidas
Klemm-Skoula

Scratch: Erskine

Goal:
Turco
Hedberg (contrary to the opinion of some announcers that Smith will back up this season).

Old
09-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I thought Ott was doing really well at center in training camp. Might they switch Barnes to 4th line wing?

Old
09-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Mephisto

What about Shawn Belle? Won't he make the team?

Thx.

Old
09-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Dr GLU

No, Belle almost certainly won't make the team. Mostly for salary cap purposes. He's almost a $1 million hit, and that's a little much for what would be a third pair guy.

Old
09-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Starsdude

Belle is clearly better than Erskine already but I agree they want him to play alot of minutes

Old
09-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
There is a consistant line right now of Miettinen-Arnott-Guerin. In 5 v. 5 situations (including practice), that's what they've been going with, and I assume it'll stay that way. Miettinen's been on the four-forward power play unit with Modano, Arnott and Guerin (with Zubov in the other role), so that may have been what people are seeing.

I assume the second line would be Morrow-Modano-Lehtinen (or first line, it's hard to call that a second line). And if you wanted to add another scorer, you move Morrow down to the third line and move up Jokinen (assuming he's made the roster).

Third line you have a lot of options. Kapanen should (and probably will be) your center with Barnes on a right wing. Then Jokinen or Morrow on the left wing, or if Jokinen goes down to Iowa to get top line minutes, you can move Ott up there.

Fourth line you've got Hagos as the center with Ott on the left wing. Oliver, Tjarnqvist, Svoboda fill out the right wings or one could also be on the left wing if Ott goes up. If Hagos goes south, send him down for development purposes, put Barnes in the center role and move Svoboda or someone up to third-line right wing.

I don't think they start Polak up in Dallas. He needs top-two line time with his skill set, and there's not a position for him there, espeically with Jokinen apparently sticking around. He'll be a great asset next year and a great call up if one of the sniper guys gets hurt, but I really see the Stars sticking him on the top line in Iowa.

I don't know much about the shots on defense. I do know that Zubov-Daley has been a pairing, and Robidas looks pretty good and should legitimately be the number five. I figure Erskine will be the scratch most nights, and I really don't know whether or not they'll pair Boucher with Robidas or Skoula.

So here's the forwards.
Miettinen-Arnott-Guerin
Jokinen/Morrow-Modano-Lehtinen
Jokinen/Morrow-Kapanen-Barnes
Ott-Hagos-Svoboda

Scratches: Tjarnqvist, Oliver, Burnett

Defense
Zubov-Daley
Boucher-Robidas
Klemm-Skoula

Scratch: Erskine

Goal:
Turco
Hedberg (contrary to the opinion of some announcers that Smith will back up this season).
Nice post, Kritter. Probably the most realistic lines so far. Even though I would still have Morrow playing with Arnott and Guerin. I certainly won't let our best all-round forward of 2003/2004 play on the 3rd line, that's for sure.

I'm not sure about Daley being on the first pairing either.

Old
09-26-2005, 10:07 AM
starshockeyfan56

I think Zubov and Klemm would be a good pairing
and have Boucher and Skoula as the second pair.

Old
09-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Pepper

Stars need to dress either Erskine or Burnett, they are simply too soft otherwise.

Old
09-26-2005, 12:35 PM
RoyIsALegend*

I can't believe whomever suggested that Sergei Zubov be paired with Trevor Daley.

What an attrocious move that would be. Or, in my case... a fantastic move! Do it, Dallas!

Old
09-26-2005, 01:01 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I can't believe whomever suggested that Sergei Zubov be paired with Trevor Daley.

What an attrocious move that would be. Or, in my case... a fantastic move! Do it, Dallas!
You want to give reasons why you think its such a bad idea or what?

Old
09-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Off the top of my head, it might be because both are offence-first defencemen whose defensive zone coverage is not stellar, neither of whom establishes any physical presence.

That's just a guess, though.

Of course, both are valuable, they just need the right pairing to be effective. Try them out together on the PP, by all means, (and it seems there's bound to be a lot of that this season...), but 5 on 5 I'd rather see them paired with Klemm and Boucher... but then that leaves Robidas and Skoula as third pairing. I hate to say it, but Robidas doesn't fit. Skoula needs someone with more sandpaper to their game. Maybe Erskine bumps Robidas to 7th man?

Old
09-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Stars need to dress either Erskine or Burnett, they are simply too soft otherwise.
Guerin will scrap. Ott will take on anyone. Klemm is tough as is Morrow. They are tough enough without sacrificing talent for the likes of Erskine and Burnett

Closed Thread