HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Hitch go with Therien.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2005, 07:32 AM
  #1
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Will Hitch go with Therien.

Seidenberg hasn't been making the biggest case for himself during the preseason. He's been getting pushed around and making some bad defensive decision. Therien has been taking some dumb penalties by getting himself out of position but aside from that he's done a well enough job. Does anyone else think that Hitch will go with Therien over Seidenberg this year? Leaving Seids to be the call up once Hatcher's suspension ends.

Our pairing could look something like this if he were.
Johnsson-Rathje
Hatcher-Pitkanen
Therien-Desjardins

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 08:58 AM
  #2
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
I think he will give Seidenberg quite a few games to prove himself, if he still isnt performing then maybe we might see the dreaded #6 although Im happy for him to play against the Rags because Jagr must have run over his dog.

Steve L* is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 09:47 AM
  #3
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I think he will give Seidenberg quite a few games to prove himself, if he still isnt performing then maybe we might see the dreaded #6 although Im happy for him to play against the Rags because Jagr must have run over his dog.

RoDu is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 10:53 AM
  #4
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Seidenberg hasn't been making the biggest case for himself during the preseason. He's been getting pushed around and making some bad defensive decision. Therien has been taking some dumb penalties by getting himself out of position but aside from that he's done a well enough job. Does anyone else think that Hitch will go with Therien over Seidenberg this year? Leaving Seids to be the call up once Hatcher's suspension ends.

Our pairing could look something like this if he were.
Johnsson-Rathje
Hatcher-Pitkanen
Therien-Desjardins
just speculation but I don't think Hitch is the biggest Seidenberg fan by any means and that is possible. I am not a Therian basher and he is not as bad as most people make him out to be as a 5/6 dman IMO he is fine. If both of them struggle then there will be a problem as depth on d is thin and no prospects are ready to play. Seidenberg doesn't take the next step I think they will make a move to find a 6 th dman as Hitch probably doesn't want to use Therian everyday.

I still hold out hope that Rags will come back right before the playoffs start to try to get a cup and that would make our D awesome without any glaring weakness at all.

jb** is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 12:18 PM
  #5
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Well, considering when Therien and Desjardins last played together here for an extended period of time, they played pretty well together, but they were also the #1 pairing. If the two of them are the #3 pairing, I am more than satisfied. In the salary cap times, are teams going to have a 3rd pairing that is much better than this?

mikedifr is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 12:54 PM
  #6
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Well, considering when Therien and Desjardins last played together here for an extended period of time, they played pretty well together, but they were also the #1 pairing. If the two of them are the #3 pairing, I am more than satisfied. In the salary cap times, are teams going to have a 3rd pairing that is much better than this?
Very good point, they would be fine as a 3rd pairing better than most if not all.

jb** is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 03:01 PM
  #7
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Therien is fine as a #6, but so is Seidenberg. Therien's only real advantage is his size; other than that, Seidenberg is more mobile, better offensively, and his good enough in his own zone. Since there will be more power plays in the NHL this year and the game will be more mobile, I would think Seidenberg would fit right in, whereas a player like Therien would have a little trouble.

Brad* is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 05:28 PM
  #8
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Therien's only real advantage is his size
Which of course he doesn't use unless it is against a certian #68.

Every aspect of Seides game is better than Therien, he should play.

Toonces is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 05:47 PM
  #9
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Therien is fine as a #6, but so is Seidenberg. Therien's only real advantage is his size; other than that, Seidenberg is more mobile, better offensively, and his good enough in his own zone. Since there will be more power plays in the NHL this year and the game will be more mobile, I would think Seidenberg would fit right in, whereas a player like Therien would have a little trouble.
Yeah, the original poster is saying if Seidenberg isn't working out will he go with Therien. Obviously if Seidenberg is able to move the puck and play on the PP successfully we will use him over Therien. But if Seids is making bad passes and creating defensive lapses we will have to use Therien and probably put Kapanen or someone else on the point besides Johnsson, Pitkanen, or Desjardins.

easton122 is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 05:54 PM
  #10
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
Yeah, the original poster is saying if Seidenberg isn't working out will he go with Therien. Obviously if Seidenberg is able to move the puck and play on the PP successfully we will use him over Therien. But if Seids is making bad passes and creating defensive lapses we will have to use Therien and probably put Kapanen or someone else on the point besides Johnsson, Pitkanen, or Desjardins.
I don't think the pre-season really matters that much. Seidenberg will start on the Flyers, and if he struggles it meaningful games, then decisions will have to be made, but I don't think he'll lose his spot over a few bad passes in a pre-season bout.

Brad* is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 06:50 PM
  #11
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I don't think the pre-season really matters that much. Seidenberg will start on the Flyers, and if he struggles it meaningful games, then decisions will have to be made, but I don't think he'll lose his spot over a few bad passes in a pre-season bout.
I meant not doing well in the regular season anyway. The preseason may cause Hitch to lose even more confidence in a player he already isn't to thrilled about though.

easton122 is offline  
Old
09-24-2005, 10:11 PM
  #12
flyercide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
i really get the feeling atleast during regular season we are going to need seids speed back there. im sure there will be a lot of game day decisions depending on who we are playing and injuries which determines how much he plays.

flyercide is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.