HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Brandon Bochenski - Darkhorse Calder Candidate?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2005, 06:43 PM
  #76
Egil
Registered User
 
Egil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
Bochenski has 2 goals and an assist so far against Toronto. That puts him at 7 pts in 3 games.

Egil is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 06:43 PM
  #77
MephistoIV
Registered User
 
MephistoIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MephistoIV
Bochenski has 2 g and 1 a tonight on that line...

damn you john stewart!

MephistoIV is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 06:44 PM
  #78
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,320
vCash: 500
This is simple.

Candidacy is a matter of being a rookie. Bo is a rookie and isn't expected to win the Calder. Ergo, he is a darkhorse candidate, just like any rookie who isn't Crosby, Ovechkin, Carter, Phaneuf or Lehtonen.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 07:05 PM
  #79
AWSAA
Fire Chevy
 
AWSAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 2046
Bochenski gets the hat trick!

AWSAA is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 07:10 PM
  #80
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything
Bochenski gets the hat trick!
looks like Tellqvist can book his ticket to the AHL after this game.

boredmale is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 07:22 PM
  #81
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,992
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
looks like Tellqvist can book his ticket to the AHL after this game.
yup.

But lets remember this is the preseason light it up all you want.

kallio... said it right.

Porn* is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 07:32 PM
  #82
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porn*
yup.

But lets remember this is the preseason light it up all you want.
I heard racine looked real good last night and i thinK Aubin isn't that bad a backup either.

boredmale is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 07:44 PM
  #83
nneate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
I heard racine looked real good last night and i thinK Aubin isn't that bad a backup either.
I thought JS Aubin was looking much sharper then Tellqvist, he certainly would be a capable backup.

nneate is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 09:40 PM
  #84
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,992
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
racine looked incredible last night...but it could be all adrenaline of playing@home for his family. He's from the montreal area.

Aubin looked great last year in the ahl and hasn't been too shabby so far this preseason. Telly up until tonights 1st period has been decent to good... he played well tonight after the first four goals

NO clue who makes it... tough call!

Porn* is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 10:38 PM
  #85
KStewart113
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
WOW, he looks great with Spezza. It might not have been agaist a Vezina goaltender, but a hat trick in the NHL is something special for a rookie like him! Sens made a good draft pick here.

KStewart113 is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 10:41 PM
  #86
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,563
vCash: 500
The fact that he plays with two budding superstars will be a hindrance in that much of his success, rightly or wrongly, will be attributed to them.

NyQuil is offline  
Old
09-25-2005, 11:53 PM
  #87
armani
Guy Likes
 
armani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Bochenski has been really impressive thus far in preseason. He has scored in every level of hockey he has played in and looks like another late round steal by the Sens' scouting team.

armani is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 10:03 AM
  #88
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,581
vCash: 500
Good point Nyquil, I totally agree with you. Even if he does lead rookie scoring this year, we know it has ALOT to do with his linemates. I am a sens fan and he is a darkhorse thats for sure. I really couldnt care less if he wins the calder but if he has great chemistry with Spezza and Heatley it means we get another top 6 forward and that in my opinion is terrific.

bert is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 10:39 AM
  #89
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
he doesn't have the skill, talent that guys like crosby, ovechkin, phaneuf, carter, richards, etc... have... i'm sorry he just doesn't.
Luc Robitaille didnt have the talent those guys have either....but he ended up the highest scoring LW of all time.

Quote:
on a side note, has he improved his skating and defense yet? Cause a 7.5B rating doesn't sound too great.
Well we all know that those ratings have been scientifically proven to never be wrong...so i guess you have a point there....
I also seem to remember a group of fans from a particular team defending to the death that Jason Allison's skating and defence are not a factor since all he does is put up points.
So how about we leave it at this:

He has an astounding shot, could definitely lead rookies in scoring, and he is a much better skater than Jason Allison.
Could he win the Calder? Why not?
We are talking about a guy who was the runner up for the Hobey Baker in college, and he did lead the AHL in rookie scoring last year. Its not like he's suddenly shown up at camp and learned how to score.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 11:01 AM
  #90
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,190
vCash: 500
I think the key theme to remember is Bochenski as a "Dark Horse", meaning it would be an upset for him to actually win it, but people should keep an eye on him just the same.

While many poolsters have been killed by paying too much attention to pre-season scoring in past, Bochenski really is slated to play with Heatley and Spezza, and having scored 30 goals and 70+ points in the AHL last year, it's not like he doesn't have some scoring pedigree to him. He also was one of the perennial leaders in scoring in the NCAA before that. The guys has scored everywhere and there is probably a 50-50 chance he'll spend the majority of the season playing with those two (he'll definitely start the season with them).

The best pro comparison I've heard is with Ray Sheppard (for those who remember him). Great hands, great shot, good instincts and average skater with out much physical presence to his game. Parrish might be another comparable. But let's face it, with the right linemates, either of those guys could have won the Calder.

The problem for Bochenski is of course that he'll have to outscore Ovechkin, Crosby and others to have a chance. It's possible, but I doubt it will happen either.

But the one comparison for the Calder I will make is the 1994 Calder race. That year Renberg played with Leclair and Lindros and won it, despite the fact Yashin had as many points and was the leading scorer on the Sens by 30 points, while Renberg was the third leading scorer on his line. Yashin was the more talented player, and playing on that line was the career highlight for Renberg, but it didn't change the outcome of that vote (although you could argue playing in a smaller Canadian market like Ottawa could hurt Bochenki like it did Yashin).

Anyways, I wouldn't put Bochenski as one of the favorites, but he's definitely moved into the top 10 list of candidates for the award. No other player will be put in a better position to win it at least.


Last edited by Dr.Sens(e): 09-26-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Dr.Sens(e) is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 12:39 PM
  #91
Steven Seagal
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
He will be on the first line, but so will rookies like Crosby, Ovechkin, Carter, Vanek, possibly Michalek, etc.

Then there is Phaneuf, Suter, and other defensive prospects.

Don't forget goaltenders like Lehtonen, Toivonen, and Ward.

I think that Bochenski will have no shot at the Calder trophy, mainly because of the competition.
in the end, it all comes down to point production.

if Bo has a great season and puts up better numbers both offensively and defensively than Crosby, then he'll win it.
Easy as that.

Steven Seagal is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 01:39 PM
  #92
zbubble
Registered User
 
zbubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
Well Parise and Vanek were better prospects last year, and Bochenski had a better season than they did.
What crap is this? Vanek had 8 more goals than Bochenski. Bochenski had 34 goals and Vanek had 42. Sure Bo had more assists but goal scoring is what opens people's eyes. Nash and Kovalchuk aren't stars because they get assists.

And everyone seems to have overlooked Ryan Miller too.

zbubble is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 02:05 PM
  #93
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble
And everyone seems to have overlooked Ryan Miller too.
I guess that would be the third season in a row we overlook him

boredmale is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 02:05 PM
  #94
Steven Seagal
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble
And everyone seems to have overlooked Ryan Miller too.
The rookie goalie for Buffalo?

Steven Seagal is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 02:09 PM
  #95
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
I think the key theme to remember is Bochenski as a "Dark Horse", meaning it would be an upset for him to actually win it, but people should keep an eye on him just the same.

While many poolsters have been killed by paying too much attention to pre-season scoring in past, Bochenski really is slated to play with Heatley and Spezza, and having scored 30 goals and 70+ points in the AHL last year, it's not like he doesn't have some scoring pedigree to him. He also was one of the perennial leaders in scoring in the NCAA before that. The guys has scored everywhere and there is probably a 50-50 chance he'll spend the majority of the season playing with those two (he'll definitely start the season with them).

The best pro comparison I've heard is with Ray Sheppard (for those who remember him). Great hands, great shot, good instincts and average skater with out much physical presence to his game. Parrish might be another comparable. But let's face it, with the right linemates, either of those guys could have won the Calder.

The problem for Bochenski is of course that he'll have to outscore Ovechkin, Crosby and others to have a chance. It's possible, but I doubt it will happen either.

But the one comparison for the Calder I will make is the 1994 Calder race. That year Renberg played with Leclair and Lindros and won it, despite the fact Yashin had as many points and was the leading scorer on the Sens by 30 points, while Renberg was the third leading scorer on his line. Yashin was the more talented player, and playing on that line was the career highlight for Renberg, but it didn't change the outcome of that vote (although you could argue playing in a smaller Canadian market like Ottawa could hurt Bochenki like it did Yashin).

Anyways, I wouldn't put Bochenski as one of the favorites, but he's definitely moved into the top 10 list of candidates for the award. No other player will be put in a better position to win it at least.

Good points. It appears that many a Leaf fan has touble comprehending what Darkhorse Calder candidate means....perhaps they can be excused since the last Calder favourite they had was Britt Selby. Okay...and Wendel Clark, a former runner up to Gary Suter.

Sheppard, who I played against in minor hockey, came damn close to winning the Calder in his premiere season - he popped 38 goals and was named runner-up to Niewendyk, who, of course, scored 51 goals that magical first season. Speaking of darkhorse candidates, perhaps one of the good young defencemen like Suter, Barker or Whitney will have terrific campaigns and overshadow the forwards and Lehtonen. Is Miller eligible?

turnbuckle* is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 03:52 PM
  #96
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
I guess that would be the third season in a row we overlook him

Roy G Biv* is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 03:54 PM
  #97
Bileur
Registered User
 
Bileur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble
What crap is this? Vanek had 8 more goals than Bochenski. Bochenski had 34 goals and Vanek had 42. Sure Bo had more assists but goal scoring is what opens people's eyes. Nash and Kovalchuk aren't stars because they get assists.

Yeah, and I never got why anyone liked Adam Oates, that guy was useless.

Bileur is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
  #98
Lionel Hutz
Registered User
 
Lionel Hutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Locking the Lounge??
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,983
vCash: 500
He is on pace for 218 points. He is a virtual lock for the Calder.

Lionel Hutz is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 04:12 PM
  #99
nneate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Good points. It appears that many a Leaf fan has touble comprehending what Darkhorse Calder candidate means....perhaps they can be excused since the last Calder favourite they had was Britt Selby. Okay...and Wendel Clark, a former runner up to Gary Suter.

Sheppard, who I played against in minor hockey, came damn close to winning the Calder in his premiere season - he popped 38 goals and was named runner-up to Niewendyk, who, of course, scored 51 goals that magical first season. Speaking of darkhorse candidates, perhaps one of the good young defencemen like Suter, Barker or Whitney will have terrific campaigns and overshadow the forwards and Lehtonen. Is Miller eligible?
Kronwall
It's going to be an interesting race indeed. I'll be hoping for a darkhorse.

nneate is offline  
Old
09-26-2005, 04:41 PM
  #100
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Yeah, and I never got why anyone liked Adam Oates, that guy was useless.


Yeah, how could anyone think playmakers aren't valuble?

I would say most good centers are at least as good at setting people up as they are finishing.

Oates was the best passer outside of Lemieux and Gretzky in the early 90's. Although Pat LaFontaine IMO was also awesome.

Transported Upstater is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.