HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

ESPN has the Habs finishing 15th in the East!

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 08:50 AM
LPHabsFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Omfg!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ohn&id=1626899

This moron has the habs finishing 15TH!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell is wrong with this dude. People picking MTL to finish out of the playoffs is ok since no one here can say for sure whether they'll make the playoffs or not but 15th??????????

Old
10-04-2003, 08:53 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ohn&id=1626899

What the hell is wrong with this dude. People picking MTL to finish out of the playoffs is ok since no one here can say for sure whether they'll make the playoffs or not but 15th??????????
I thought you had some very bad news, I was getting worried. I don't really care about this speculation... these guys can't predict how a team will perform all year long, it's impossible. Sometimes, not only talent comes into play for having a good season; heart, determination and a good system also count, as Minnesota proved it last season.

I like to have my team being the underdog, so we can surprise everyone with a tremendous season.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan
Who cares?

Read this quote from him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buccigross
What a nightmare for Jose Theodore after his fantasy summer of 2002. "Ah, Dad, could we ease up on the loan sharking this year?" Getting Bob Gainey back is a step in the right direction, but this team is no Hell's Angels on ice
Then tell me this guy has any credibility left...

Old
10-04-2003, 08:58 AM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
I thought you had some very bad news, I was getting worried. I don't really care about this speculation... these guys can't predict how a team will perform all year long, it's impossible. Sometimes, not only talent comes into play for having a good season; heart, determination and a good system also count, as Minnesota proved it last season.

I like to have my team being the underdog, so we can surprise everyone with a tremendous season.
I like being the underdog too but I mean cmon, these guys are suppose to know their hockey but this is rediculous. However, I shouldn't be surprised considering this is ESPN.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Wildcat

I’m not too concerned with how low anyone places the Habs in the standings, as long as they don’t finish there.

BTW, does anyone else find themselves skipping past parts of articles with anything to do with Theodore? It seems anytime he’s mentioned, his father and half-brothers are right behind. I wonder how long this will go on...

Old
10-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Quagmier

Buccigross just likes to tell everybody who he knows and how much he knows about music. He's useless as a hockey commentator.

However, the habs finishing higher than 11th just doesn't seem like a possibility, and more i keep thinking about how bright our future is, the more i keep remembering how weak this team is.

But remember, hard times are what makes a fan a TRUE fan.

GO HABS!

let's hope this season gives many reasons to cheer

Old
10-04-2003, 11:24 AM
BLONG7

I think the Habs will surprise a few, especially this @ ESPN

Old
10-04-2003, 11:36 AM
theo6060

I wouldn't take it to heart, some people just love busting our chops since we have the best hockey franchise in the history of the sport. Now that we're down, everybody is taking their shots at us. No big deal. If the majority of our prospects pan out we'll be doing the laughing.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Dr Love

Those picks are soley by Buccigross. He picked the Rangers to finish 1st last year, so I wouldn't take his picks with too much stock.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Kirk Muller*

There's nothing irrealistic about us finishing 15th. We have no talent and no heart.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Lewis63

When did ESPN become knowledgeable in hockey? Nobody told me

Old
10-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I have the Habs finishing 14th just behind Atlanta and just ahead of the Pens. I might have to regig my projection based on what happens with Heatley. I guess I'm just slightly less moronic than ESPN :clown:

Other than the Pens and Heatleyless Atlanta, I can't see a more pathetic Eastern roster than the current Habs.
I'd say Washington is potentially pathetic as well.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Montreal's teams are ALWAYS (almost) underrated or Overrated.

2 years ago, experts were saying Montreal would finish last. We made the playoffs and beat the Bruins. Last year, experts were saying Montreal would land 6th spot and better in east easily... We get the 10th pick in the 2003 draft...

Expos were going to be dead-last this year competing for worst stats in all experts heads. They for few days get the lead in September for a playoff spot...

Old
10-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Blackshad

i predict they will finish like 12th or 13th....
Look at the fact
Good :
Souray is back
Komisarek will be more experimented
Bad:
Koivu had a carrer season last year and wasnt injured
Zednik had a carrer season
Bulis too
And we didnt make the playoff.

I only hope Théo will be there when we will need him.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:06 PM
PK*

I wouldn't mind finishing last this year if we can pick Alexander Ovechkin. Imagine this first line : Kastsytsin-Ovechkin-Perezhogin. That would be sweet.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Corey

The Habs won't finish last in the east, they won't land Ovechkin, they won't make the playoffs, and they'll end up with the #11 draft pick next June. Oh, and Buccigross is on the ESPN broadcasts for comic relief along with Barry Melrose.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Ford Prefect

No one here has said anything as to why they think he's wrong. At least he gave reasons why he thinks Montreal will finish last. No one here can give reasons why they think he is wrong, other than who he writes for. I agree with him. I think it is a two dog race for Ovechkin, between Montreal and Pittsburgh. At least they have some firepower. What the hell have we got. If Theo is even mortal this year, reach for the KY cause to quote Eminem we're "gonna get set for some intense serious A _ _ F _ _ _ I N G"

Old
10-04-2003, 05:04 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
The season is a write off for the Habs. With Koivu already injured, and now Zednick there really is no hope. 15th? possible but not likely. Still I wouldn't expect much. The habs are better off playing their young guys imo.

Old
10-04-2003, 05:57 PM
RIWhaler

Send a message via AIM to RIWhaler
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
The season is a write off for the Habs. With Koivu already injured, and now Zednick there really is no hope. 15th? possible but not likely. Still I wouldn't expect much. The habs are better off playing their young guys imo.
Anyone on this board wanna be as bold to say a Canadiens game is worth $150 this year? I'm willing to bet the best American league team could give the Canadiens a run for their money, especially with Koivu and Zednik on the shelf. The pre-season may not mean much, but when you generate no offense through nine games, that's gotta say something. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Canadiens failed to score four goals in nine games. Tell me that's not brutality.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:12 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
Did I miss something these past few days?
Koivu will be out for about a week or two at the season's start.
Zednik should be ready for the season's start, or maybe a few games into the season. (didn't he pull his groin? That takes roughly a week to heal).

Why do I think Montreal won't finish dead last?
The following people had either bad years or weren't even in the lineup:
Audette
Perrault (Nice start, horrible second half)
Souray
Theodore
Rivet
Brisebois

There are probably others, but i'm a little tired and can't think of everyone at the moment.
If even HALF of those players can turn things around, then the team is bound to improve.

I also realize that players like Markov, Koivu, Bulis, etc. had career years, but I don't think that they will sway that far away from last years production. Hell, a few may even improve upon last season.

That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

EDIT: Just read that Zednik strained his knee, so please ignore previous zednik comment.

Old
10-06-2003, 03:26 AM
merlin

I think that the habs should have interesting bright spots this year. Youth will get playing time when it will be clear they won't be in the playoffs. I expect that it will be sooner rather than later. Theo will see big time rubber. Markov, Bulis and a few others will get better....which is good.

However, we don't have the line-up to compete. Our future isn't as bright as you would think. If you have a look at Buffalo's line-up you'll see what I mean. They have a future. We have a few pieces of the puzzle, we need about 3 more real prospects.

In all we won't make the playoff (unless, and that would be the only way, Theo wins the Vezina...) and we'll get another top ten pick. I see us around 13th with 14th being quite possible. As for 15th, it will depend on how Lemieux does in Pitts and if Heatley plays any games for Atlanta. It will be a long season for us.

I am a hab fan, just being realistic that is all.

Anybody else thinks Robinson will replace Julien during the course of the season???

Old
10-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis63
When did ESPN become knowledgeable in hockey? Nobody told me
Here here

Who cares what Espn says about hockey. Let they go back to presenting Texas Hold 'em and extreem sports.

Would you care what I have to say about quantum physics?

That said, there will be no parade on Ste. Catherine's this year, I would be happy with effort and less mental lapses. Go Habs!

Old
10-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Asgalus

I would expect Montreal to rank from 10-11 to 13-14. so 15, is not that bad...and if we dont score ... who knows

Closed Thread