HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sportsnet Predictions

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Sportsnet Predictions

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/preview...s_glance.shtml

With the exception of garret being an obvious homer with picking the Canucks, every west prediction is the Avs or Wings. in the east its the same with one person going out on a limb with picking the Flyers. The only non sens, devils, wings, avs cup prediction was once again garret being a homer and staying with the canucks. He says if they get the goaltending they can do it, but they don't have it. He also picked New jersey in the east, saying Brodeur is now the best in the game(I'm assuming he meant Roy's retirement for the now part). Well, the Devils are a better team, and if brodeur is the best, then they have the better goaltnding, so his biased prediction is a contradiction. Another prediction that stood out to me was by Chris Simpson. What does a reporter bring in terms of being an expert? Same goes with Milard. Anyways, she says she'll take the Wings over the Avs because she'll take hasek over Aebischer any day. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there has to be as many questions surrounding how good Hasek will play this season, as there are surrounding Aebischer. She also failed to take into account the fact that Colorado has much for offensive depth, which could neutralize the(in her mind) lopsided goalie advantage by the Wings. Another one that caught my eye was by Jim Hughson. Not his predictions as a whole, but just one. He picked Calgary to make the playoffs by finishing 8th, and said Calgary is a team to watch because Sutter has never missed the playoffs. He missed last year, so that makes me wonder. u've always had a lot of respect for Hughson, but that comment makes me wonder. As for prinipe, i think him putting the Flames in the playoffs is blatant homerism. All in all, these predictions were pretty bland, and not very in depth at all. Quite often the reasoning was flawed, and in some cases not even there. For example. My heart says Ottawa, but my head says New jersey. WTF is that. That isn't in depth. Why does your head say new jersey. Maybe if you go into some detail, it would make sense. The most annoying part about these "expert" predictions is that many of the picks, were made by Roger Millions, Gene Principe, Darren Dreger, Darren Milard, Kevin Quinn and Chris Simpson. They aren't experts,a nd are only loosely affiliated with the game.

Old
10-06-2003, 11:31 AM
discostu

Kypreos picking Ottawa is a bit of a suprise. He's usually not one of the team's biggest fans, holding on to the lack of toughness reputation longer than most analysts.

Old
10-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Murphy*

I seriously HATE John Garret and hate isnt even strong enough to be used in reference to my feelings towards him.

Old
10-06-2003, 11:49 AM
MVP

Ottawa and Colorado are very heavy favorite, i am surprise not a single so call expert pick Dallas to be the West Camp, they definately have the kind of team that could match up to any contentor in the NHL.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:03 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Cleary, that piece ranks among the greatest sportswriting of all time. I love how every single columnist lays it all out on the line with bold, provocative sports opinions. The level of creativity and insight is nearly overwhelming as they throw down new angles and perspectives that I -- a mere mortal -- had scarcely considered.

Just fabulous.

I give it 2 thumbs and a big toe way up.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:12 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Ottawa and Colorado are very heavy favorite, i am surprise not a single so call expert pick Dallas to be the West Camp, they definately have the kind of team that could match up to any contentor in the NHL.
Yup, good point. I though Fish stopped posting on HF, i guess he has a passion still

Old
10-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Cain

Putting Calgary in at 8th is not blatant homerism. There are 4-6 locks in the west, and the rest are up for grabs. Calgary should be fighting for one of those spots. Calgary is so underrated on this board its not funny...a top team they are not, but they are also not the worst or near worst team in the league.

And Sutter did not coach the flames for the majority of the season, so perhaps that is what the statement 'Sutter has never missed playoffs' was referring to? Maybe YOU need to look at your own hockey knowledge. The flames were already out of the playoffs when Sutter took over.

Old
10-06-2003, 01:11 PM
blitzkriegs

love those 'experts' ... please...

Old
10-09-2003, 11:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
Putting Calgary in at 8th is not blatant homerism. There are 4-6 locks in the west, and the rest are up for grabs. Calgary should be fighting for one of those spots. Calgary is so underrated on this board its not funny...a top team they are not, but they are also not the worst or near worst team in the league.

And Sutter did not coach the flames for the majority of the season, so perhaps that is what the statement 'Sutter has never missed playoffs' was referring to? Maybe YOU need to look at your own hockey knowledge. The flames were already out of the playoffs when Sutter took over.
Sutter was there for over half the season, and Sutter or no Sutter that team misses the playoffs. Its not like they put up special numbers after the takeover.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Yup, good point. I though Fish stopped posting on HF, i guess he has a passion still
World Series is yet to come and go.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:25 AM
Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
Sutter was there for over half the season, and Sutter or no Sutter that team misses the playoffs. Its not like they put up special numbers after the takeover.
They actually did put up better numbers with Sutter there. They played .500 hockey with Sutter, something that they didnt even come close to doing with Gilbert. That is an improvement over half a season where the coach just walked in, I'd say that is pretty promising.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:50 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Dallas would be my pick. They plenty of guns and defense and character. Turco proved himself to be a top regular season goalie last year and he now has Stanley Cup experience. To just lay down infront of Detroit, who is old and could be injury prone and destracted as long as Cujo is there, and Colorado, because of Selanne and Kariya, when their is a question whether there are enough pucks and enough power play time to keep Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, Selanne, and Kariya happy and enough question marks about both the goaltending and the coaching, seems short sighted. Detroit and Colorado certainly can work thru their problems and win the Cup, but Dallas has no such problems and deserves some consideration.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:37 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
After looking at thier lineup i'm sold The Stars will be the Western rep for the SCF's

Old
10-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Yeah, Kypreos picking the Senators and the Avalanche is as good an indication as any that they will not make the playoffs

Old
10-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
What's the problem??

That someone has a different opinion than yours?? THEY'RE PREDICTIONS. I predict that the Penguins win the cup this year!! How about that! You can argue with me till we're blue in the face, it still won't change MY opinion.

So just take it easy.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:35 AM
Guy!

I honestly don't understand why everyone likes the Avs so much. In my opinion they have some serious question marks and I would certainly not consider them the favourites for the West.

Sure, they have the best offence in hockey. But there's more to hockey than putting the puck in the net.

Like keeping it out.

That is a weak defense for a contending team. They have a strong top three, but then what? And in this day and age, you can't rely on just three defenders to get you to the cup: hello St. Louis who for years thought they could win with Pronger, MacInnis and their decent third - whoever it was at the time. Offence wins regular season games, but down the stretch and where it counts in the playoffs, you need solid defense.

And then there is the net. Okay, Aebischer might just have what it takes to be a solid number one goalie. Okay, he has the vote of confidence from everyone everywhere in that system. But he's an unproven commodity who had a losing record last year. His actual numbers were good, but not great. Is this a guy - with no playoff experience, no less - who can take this team to the Cup and win it?

I think not.

If you like the Avs, then you must give almost equal consideration to the 'Nucks who, while not having the same offensive qualities, have a significantly better defense and even marginally better goaltending.

I'll take the Sens and the Wings. NJ and Philly in the East will give the most problems. In the west Dallas, Vancouver and yes, probably Colorado, will challenge, but in the end, the Slinky gets front row seats for the Sens first Cup win.

Closed Thread