Roche and Mitchell
Brown and Bomber
Schultz as the 7th
Marshall forward.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:29 PM
DW

vCash: 500
Move Roche to 7th D (sharing with Brown on occasion) and move Schultz to 2nd pairing with Mitchell and that should be right on imo.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:51 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Didn't Schultz play with the Bomber last year?

But I would hope and pray that Mitchell and Schultz would be our first line. They are simply the best defense the Wild have, other than Kuba and I really like to see that.

Does Lemaire juggle up the defense?

Old
10-06-2003, 01:07 PM
GaborikRules10!!!

Schultz will definetley play. Hes a rising star. Mitchell usually plays Bomber at least he did last year. Schultz and Kuba ??? Zyuzin and Brown??? and Roche as our 7th.

Old
10-06-2003, 01:59 PM
Jbcraig1883

In my opinion, this is how they will look:

Kuba-Zyuzin
Mitchell-Schultz
Brown-Bombardir
Roche

Alternate Brown and Roche for skating teams and more physical teams.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Hecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18
In my opinion, this is how they will look:

Kuba-Zyuzin
Mitchell-Schultz
Brown-Bombardir
Roche

Alternate Brown and Roche for skating teams and more physical teams.
a Kuba Zyuzin pairing just seems too soft for me..

Kuba - Bombardir
Mitchell - Schultz
Brown - Zyuzin

Roche 7th

Old
10-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Dan-o

I think Jocksta18's got the pairings right. If I remember correctly, Schultz was usually paired up with Mitchell in last year's playoffs.

I like the idea of Schultz pairing up with Mitchell. Willie will protect Schultz until Nick gets his ears a little more wet. But there is no way Schultz is a 7th d-man. He's young, improving and already one of our top-5 d-man. Putting him in the 7th spot will reduce his playing time and set back his development.

I agree that Kuba-Zyuzin seems a bit soft, but what are the alternatives. Bomber isn't going to throw around the body, Brown isn't good enough for a 1st pairing and Schultz isn't very physical either. He's put on some pounds and muscle this offseason, but he's been more of a positional d-man the first two years. Mitchell is our only physical d-man. I don't see any way to step up the first pairing's physicality without really lowering their speed and talent. (I.E. adding Marshall or Brown).

Old
10-06-2003, 08:59 PM
pappa jan

the best pairings would IMO be:

Filip Kuba - Willie Mitchell (Both big and kuba has the best offense out of the defensemen so he should be on the first pairing)

Andrei Zyuzin - Nick Schultz (One off. and one def. d-man, Schultz should definitly play top-4 minutes and Zyuzin has untapped offensive potential and might just need good playing time to put up points on a regular basis).

Brad Bombardir - Brad Brown ( It sounds like Brown has had a strong camp and deservse the last spot ahed of Roche. Bombardir is a lock but in IMO better of on the last pairing then on one of the higher. Solid defensive pair non the less.)

Roche as a scratch!

Old
10-06-2003, 09:10 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Ouch ZuZu and Schultz shouldn't be paired up. Both are offensive defensemen are a little soft.

Old
10-06-2003, 11:37 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o
I think Jocksta18's got the pairings right. If I remember correctly, Schultz was usually paired up with Mitchell in last year's playoffs.
You remember correctly. The only thing you forgot is that we didn't have Bomber in the playoffs, so the pairings were juggled. Schultz played with Bombardir all season long, and I don't think that's going to change. I've noticed that Jacques is pretty conservative when it comes to defensive pairings, he doesn't mix and match nearly as often as offensive lines (unless it's a key situation, or late in the game, or somebody needs a good old benching). Zyuzin and Brown were paired up most of last season, and in this preseason, so I'll say they stay together as well. So that leaves Kuba and Mitchell as the last pairing (actually, the first, and it's actually not too bad at all).

Kuba-Mitchell
Schultz-Bombardir
Zyuzin-Brown

I'm pretty sure that's what we will see, at least at the beginning of the season. Things might change as the season goes along.

Not sure where Roche will go when he is in. Zyuzin-Roche? Sounds like a disaster to me. We'll see I guess...

Old
10-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Dan-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16

Not sure where Roche will go when he is in. Zyuzin-Roche? Sounds like a disaster to me. We'll see I guess...
Yowzers. No kidding! There's nowhere else for him to go barring an injury. I do NOT like the defensive responsibility in that pairing. I liked Zyuzin most of the year but I did not like his play in the playoffs (although I think I'm the only one). Putting it bluntly, I don't trust either one of those d-men yet.

Old
10-07-2003, 12:13 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o
Yowzers. No kidding! There's nowhere else for him to go barring an injury. I do NOT like the defensive responsibility in that pairing. I liked Zyuzin most of the year but I did not like his play in the playoffs (although I think I'm the only one). Putting it bluntly, I don't trust either one of those d-men yet.
No, you are not the only one, I thought Zyuzin was pretty close to horrible in the playoffs. I still trust him though, he is a good player, just don't want to see him paired up with Roche, it'll be worse than Kuba-Sekeras if you can believe it. I think when Roche is dressed he'll go with Willie, and Zyuzin will play with Kuba (they've played together on more than one occasion last season, and looked OK).

Old
10-07-2003, 01:00 PM
strib

One thing is certain, unless Brown is injured he is guaranteed to play all month every game. The Captain doesn't become a healthy scratch.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:23 AM
strib

See post 1. Didn't have the pairings right but the personnel were. According to Jacques Schultz didn't come to camp in good enough shape and so becomes a scratch. I don't expect this will happen too much with Nick though. He seems to catch on fairly quickly after sitting out a game or two. Seems like the same way last season. Have to admit I liked the way Zyuzin played last night. No word on if the Bomber is ok after the hit last night. He did come back and play which is a positive though. Brownie also had a real solid game on D.

Closed Thread