HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If Kevin Lowe was smart....

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Hemsky01

vCash: 500
If Kevin Lowe was smart....

he would sit down with Mike Comrie(not Rich Winter) and they would have a little talk and it would go something like this. Lowe would tell Comrie, "look, we need you on our team. I don't have a hope in the world of getting fair market value our of you in a trade so you will not be traded. We think we have a chance at something special now and for a long time to come with the Oilers and we believe you can be a big part of it. We are not that far apart in money so lets bridge our differences. Play hard for this team and you will become a star and the fans and city will love you. If at Christmas time or sometime in the future you want a trade, we will accomadate you, but until you are back with the oilers, you are not getting traded. It is our first priority and first wish to get you back with the Oilers. If you play as well as I know you can, everyone will love you in Edmonton. It's basically your choice but you are an Edmonton Oiler and that will not be changing in the immediate future."

I'm not sure how this has gotten into such a complicated situation. Lowe knows he won't get what Comrie is worth so just tell the kid, you either play for the oilers or you don't play, but do it in a way that makes him feel wanted, respected, and that he will be treated like a star here in Edmonton.

My view on Mike Comrie is that he will become another Theo Fleury. Gritty, chippy, and quite possible a 50 goal 90pt player. No team in the NHL is going to give the oilers close to that in return. Just my 2 cents on a situation that should have been settled long ago.

Old
10-06-2003, 01:19 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
he would sit down with Mike Comrie(not Rich Winter) and they would have a little talk and it would go something like this. Lowe would tell Comrie, "look, we need you on our team. I don't have a hope in the world of getting fair market value our of you in a trade so you will not be traded. We think we have a chance at something special now and for a long time to come with the Oilers and we believe you can be a big part of it. We are not that far apart in money so lets bridge our differences. Play hard for this team and you will become a star and the fans and city will love you. If at Christmas time or sometime in the future you want a trade, we will accomadate you, but until you are back with the oilers, you are not getting traded. It is our first priority and first wish to get you back with the Oilers. If you play as well as I know you can, everyone will love you in Edmonton. It's basically your choice but you are an Edmonton Oiler and that will not be changing in the immediate future."

I'm not sure how this has gotten into such a complicated situation. Lowe knows he won't get what Comrie is worth so just tell the kid, you either play for the oilers or you don't play, but do it in a way that makes him feel wanted, respected, and that he will be treated like a star here in Edmonton.

My view on Mike Comrie is that he will become another Theo Fleury. Gritty, chippy, and quite possible a 50 goal 90pt player. No team in the NHL is going to give the oilers close to that in return. Just my 2 cents on a situation that should have been settled long ago.
I agree 100%. We are getting so close to becoming a team to reckon with and Comrie is a big piece of that.

Old
10-06-2003, 03:03 PM
s7ark

I agree that would be nice, but I think Mr. Winter wouldn't appreciate Lowe speaking with Comrie alone without him there. And probably the NHLPA would get involved too.

In terms of the sentiment I agree with you, if Lowe can get Comrie that message I hope it would rectify the situation quickly and get us our number 1 center back soon.

Honestly we can should till we are blue in the face over how good Hemsky will be, but he would be even better with Comrie centering the line. If Comrie and Hemsky can delevop some chemistry together, the sky's the limit for our first line. Comrie and Smyth could both hit 35+ goals. Easily.

Old
10-06-2003, 03:13 PM
oildrop

Why do some of you think that the Oilers won't get fair value for Comrie? Comrie isn't a Wayne Gretzky or anything close to that. Sure he is good but I am sure Lowe will get fair value for him if he trades Comrie. It's not as if the GM's think that he's getting worse because he is sitting out or anything. They know what he's worth and what he can do for a team and Lowe will get a good return if he trades him.

Old
10-06-2003, 03:44 PM
OYLer

To state the obvious, Comrie is worth what K-lo can get for him. Resolutions for the team is more important then one player and greed-agency! He stays he goes give me a break lets focus on who's here. So pleeeeeease ... give it a rest and Let'sssssssssss Get Reeeeeeeeeeeady toooooooo Ruuuuuuumble!!!

Old
10-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I am sure Lowe will get fair value for him if he trades Comrie.
I'm not sure where you have have been the last 2 weeks but if you have read any of the Comrie trade threads(and I sure hope Lowe hasn't), I don't want anything to do with Stefan, and some of the other Lugs who are coming back for Comrie. Another fact is that Comrie had an off year. I'm sure you must agree that Lowe will not get the same value for Comrie as he would have after his first year, so I'm not sure how you are SO SURE that Lowe will get fair value. I'm also really glad your not the GM of the oil because then we might be getting Stefan(who's a major bust) and extras.

Old
10-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
lets focus on who's here
Last time I checked: -Comrie was in Edmonton!
-If you can make your Hockey team better, you do!(and comrie makes this team better)
-and I can discuss and bring up whatever Hockey related topic I feel like!

Old
10-06-2003, 04:05 PM
oildrop

Quote:
I'm not sure where you have have been the last 2 weeks but if you have read any of the Comrie trade threads(and I sure hope Lowe hasn't), I don't want anything to do with Stefan, and some of the other Lugs who are coming back for Comrie. Another fact is that Comrie had an off year. I'm sure you must agree that Lowe will not get the same value for Comrie as he would have after his first year, so I'm not sure how you are SO SURE that Lowe will get fair value. I'm also really glad your not the GM of the oil because then we might be getting Stefan(who's a major bust) and extras.
Where have I ever said that I wanted Stefan and Picks? I haven't. Lots of people here are over-rating Comrie. He's not Peter Forsberg or Joe Thornton. Yeah he is a good player with lots of talent and I too would want something better then Stefan in return. I have been here and read all thoes ridiculous trade rumours. But that is what they are, rumours. Rumours from people who both like Comrie and hate Comrie so that is why some are so ridiculous. How do we know who is being offered or who Lowe is asking for, if he is asking for anyone. We don't know who Lowe has talked to or what players are involved in the discussions. To believe some of the rumours and proposals on these boards is kind of silly because they are made up by fans. They aren't real and they are most likely very far off from what could happen with a Comrie trade.

Old
10-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Hemsky01

I hope you are right!!

Old
10-06-2003, 04:13 PM
oildrop

Quote:
I hope you are right!!