HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN the mag: Foppa = Greatest Ever ?

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 01:18 PM
imagine29028

vCash: 500
ESPN the mag: Foppa = Greatest Ever ?

was in barnes and noble today checkin out the new ESPN magazine...and they said in the article that he might be considered one of the greatest forwards to ever play the game...he has a combo of all the tools of the greatest players in history.

it isn't worth the buy...but go to your local store and check out the article, its a decent read. There is another one on Naslund in there too.

Old
10-06-2003, 01:42 PM
nathan

Yep, I saw it today. Forsberg gets the entire cover for himself

They also had 2 page pictures of Sweden's stars (Naslund, Alfredsson, Norstrom, Sundin).

And yep, Forsberg is called one of the greatest players. Said while most Europeans teach puckhandling, Forsberg's dad, who also teached Naslund and the Sedins, emphasized skating....which I think you'll notice very often with Foppa

I might get it so I can put up Forsberg pictures on the wall! I forgot, but didn't the pictures look like they were taken in Sweden?

Old
10-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine29028
was in barnes and noble today checkin out the new ESPN magazine...and they said in the article that he might be considered one of the greatest forwards to ever play the game...he has a combo of all the tools of the greatest players in history.

it isn't worth the buy...but go to your local store and check out the article, its a decent read. There is another one on Naslund in there too.
Yeah, I "borrowed" a neighbor's copy for a little while to read it. Some nice pictures though...

Old
10-06-2003, 01:56 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
I'm going to frame the cover

Old
10-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
What hurts him is that he only played in the NHL during the most defensive era. If he had played during the 80s/early 90s he would have put up much better PPG etc and people would automatically think he was better.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:43 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Forsberg will always be considered one of the greatest talents to ever play the game.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Laperriere22*

This whole premise coming from ESPN is laughable. Then again, just about everything related to hockey coming from ESPN is generally retarded anyway. Greatest ever? That is good stuff. I needed a good laugh combined with a headshake.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Stastny

Send a message via AIM to Stastny
He may be one of the greatest talents ever, but he isn't the greatest player ever. One scoring title and one hart trophy doesn't equal greatest ever, not with Orr, Howe, Gretzky and Lemieux in the mix. Talent-wise and make-up maybe, But he isn't the best ever.

Old
10-06-2003, 03:08 PM
DarioinDenver

Oh boy.

He might be ONE of the greatest PLAYMAKERS ever, but greatest forward ever he is not. He's good defensively, out of this world as a passer a playmaker, great under pressure situations but lacks in the goal scoring department. That might be his own fault because he doesn't shoot enough but it is what it is. His assist numbers in the era he plays certainly qualify him as one of the greatest playmaking forwards in the history of the game but the rest simply puts him out of the race by quite a distance.

Old
10-06-2003, 03:36 PM
nathan

Yea, I think the article said ONE of the...if they really did the greatest ever....then....

Old
10-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Foppa2118

I think you guys need to look more carefully. It says ONE of the greatest players ever. He is fourth all time in assists per game right behind Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr with a .902, which is pretty damm good considering the era he played in. How much higher do you think he would be if he had played in Gretzky's era? A lot. He probably still wouldn't be as high as Gretz(1.320) or Lemieux(1.149), but I bet you he would have challenged Bobby Orr's .982, and that's a pretty impressive playmaker to challenge. By the way Adam Oates who also played in a more wide open era is fifth with .832, which is pretty far behind.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Forsberg... greatest ever?

I've said this multiple times: He's not even the BEST PLAYER ON HIS OWN DAMN TEAM!

Sakic owns him in terms of career achievements (Career numbers, Team Captain, and pretty sure has a comparable amount of hardware), and if Forsy packs it in after this season... the longevity factor.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:08 PM
evman150*

Wow. The homerism in thread is unbelievable.

I agree with ICW. He is not even the best player on his own team. Yet somehow he is the best player in recent history?

He's never even scored 30 goals. He is a great player, but not even close to one of the greatest.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:27 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Oh boy.

He might be ONE of the greatest PLAYMAKERS ever, but greatest forward ever he is not. He's good defensively, out of this world as a passer a playmaker, great under pressure situations but lacks in the goal scoring department. That might be his own fault because he doesn't shoot enough but it is what it is. His assist numbers in the era he plays certainly qualify him as one of the greatest playmaking forwards in the history of the game but the rest simply puts him out of the race by quite a distance.
This just about sums up my feelings on the surface of the situation.

However, I decyphered this all as a really big marketing push by ESPN ... one that I am pleased to see. With the start of the season closing in, ESPN is riding the hot horse from last season to push new viewers who read their magazine toward the ever so cold sport of ice hockey. Just think about it, you might tune into a game if you think that you might be able to watch the greatest ever--that is, if you don't know hockey already. I'd be willing to bet that a good 20% of ESPN's readers and/or subscribers don't know who Forsberg is, let alone who anyone is outside of Gretz and Mario.

Of course ESPN's own self interests are quite apparent as well. They hold the biggest share (them being Disney) of hockey games telivised nationally. So if more people get into watching hockey (especially those who don't already follow the sport--quite possibly in markets only available to national telecasts) then ESPN gets more viewers.

It's genius advertising.

(how do you like that spin there ... anti-ESPN boy (Lappy))

Old
10-06-2003, 10:21 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i think he's one of the best packages to ever grace the NHL ice... it's that simple.. i think for his talent alone (not points or accomplishments or injuries etc..).. just him as a hockey player package, is...

Old
10-07-2003, 03:17 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150

I agree with ICW. He is not even the best player on his own team. Yet somehow he is the best player in recent history?

He's never even scored 30 goals. He is a great player, but not even close to one of the greatest.
i guess you missed the part where it said one of the best ever....and he very well could be considred one of the greats.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:12 PM
nathan

Quote:

I'll ignore your homerism reply.

How does the fact that Forsberg did not 30 goals diminish him as a player? Anyways, how many players do you know that has won the Art Ross trophy WITHOUT scoring 30 goals? Either way you slice it, not an easy feat to accomplish.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

You must have been asleep during the 95-96, and 98-99 seasons, because Forsberg scored 30 goals in both of those seasons. How can you argue with that assists per game number, combined with what he has shown during his career, including the tear he went on in the playoffs after not playing one game in the regular season, which gave him the point lead and a few votes for the Conn Smythe, even though he didn't play in the finals. He is clearly ONE of the best players ever.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
However, I decyphered this all as a really big marketing push by ESPN ... one that I am pleased to see. With the start of the season closing in, ESPN is riding the hot horse from last season to push new viewers who read their magazine toward the ever so cold sport of ice hockey. Just think about it, you might tune into a game if you think that you might be able to watch the greatest ever--that is, if you don't know hockey already. I'd be willing to bet that a good 20% of ESPN's readers and/or subscribers don't know who Forsberg is, let alone who anyone is outside of Gretz and Mario.

Of course ESPN's own self interests are quite apparent as well. They hold the biggest share (them being Disney) of hockey games telivised nationally. So if more people get into watching hockey (especially those who don't already follow the sport--quite possibly in markets only available to national telecasts) then ESPN gets more viewers.

It's genius advertising.

(how do you like that spin there ... anti-ESPN boy (Lappy))
Good luck with that. Allying yourself with the ESPN luminaries isn't going to get you very far (just ask the sport itself about that).

One, ESPN doesn't market the game anymore; they were showing too much of it anyway. Two, it can't be called genius advertising unless that advertising directly leads to increased ratings. And three, I think that plenty of people that read ESPN the Magazine (poor bastiches that they are) are already aware of hockey, but just aren't interested in learning the sport's intricacies. Besides, hockey is played at such a fast pace, without a bunch of commercial breaks and abundant timeouts, that most of the short-attention span folk can't get into it anyway.

It's the second sign of the apocalypse when someone mentions genius, hockey, and ESPN all in one post. The first is Shantz scoring a goal using his stick. Thanks for breaking the second seal, Ensane and pushing us closer to our dooms.

Old
10-08-2003, 07:20 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

"Oh man, that's just ugly." - Dr. Gonzo : "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

Old
10-08-2003, 09:54 AM
Zodiac

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=thnpoll4

Heres some player comments about who is the best player.

Old
10-08-2003, 10:26 AM
MotownMadman

Not even trying to troll. I'm just happy to see a hockey player get an entire cover of a major (major?) sports magazine before the season's even started. Maybe this means that ESPN will actually hire some people who know something about hockey.

Old
10-08-2003, 12:00 PM
nathan

Hey, it's better than what SI does. *****, they don't even have a page about the NHL.

Old
10-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydianSlip
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=thnpoll4

Heres some player comments about who is the best player.
Great link, I enjoyed reading what all the players thought. One question though. If all those players think Peter Forsberg is the best in the NHL. How does he lose in the voting for the Lester Pearson Award in his second best regular season. What a scam.

Old
10-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
How can you argue with that assists per game number, combined with what he has shown during his career, including the tear he went on in the playoffs after not playing one game in the regular season, which gave him the point lead and a few votes for the Conn Smythe, even though he didn't play in the finals.
You know when he was home in Sweden watching TV, who led the Avs to the playoffs that year?

Oh right, that other guy that plays center on the Avs.

Closed Thread