HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upon further review...

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Upon further review...

after watching the game again, I came away with additional thoughts.

1) I'm surprised Lampman's still here. He was pretty bad on a second pair going against AHLers. Missed assignment. Missed checks. He really didn't play too well. I'm surprised he's not here because they're letting people go quickly.

2) Sending Dawes down is unfair. He played one game, and played pretty well with two guys who really aren't offensive at the NHL level - or too offensive at the AHL level. Between the three there was less than 10 NHL games of experience. The only reason why Prucha's up is because Prucha is 22, not 20. I fully believe that and think that's wrong. While consensus is he should be sent down, I do not see why he can't get a chance with, say, Nylander. Balej did - but something's up there.

3) Pock struggled on the PP, and had an up and down game defensively. Pock does know how to put himself between the shooter and the net. He also knows how to let people between he and the net. He had two gaffes in limited PP time trying to keep the puck in. Luckily, one ended up being a home-run pass that connected for a goal and the other connected for a scoring chance. He still skates well, has decent size, and does make a very good first pass. He needs to play against real competition now.

4) Balej didn't play THAT badly. Something's odd here. Let's say the kid didn;t play well in HFD. Let's say he had a bad camp. So he's rewarded with real minutes with real players and then sent down immediately. After that game, Balej didn't deserve to be sent down unless it was a cumulative decision - and if it was - Dawes should've gotten the shot on that wing, not Balej. He had a couple scoring chances. Set-up a couple. Made a cople nice passes. Could've been more aggressive, and should've been, but I don't think that HFD was the next chance unless the staff's mind was already made up and the only way to change it was for him to have an outstanding game (one game), which isn't fair, and is somewhat a waste.

I have add'l thoughts...but later.

Old
09-27-2005, 06:54 AM
shoothepuck

I agree with you on Lampman, Dawes, and Balej. The last two should have been given more time to play in the last few pre-season games. Dawes didn't look bad, and he could have used more ice time. It's not like they can't get a call up later in the season. We shall see.

Old
09-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Fletch

To continue...

5) I do like Prucha, as he does have skill, but he still has a ways to go. It's tough judging the kid when he's playing with Immonen and Nienemen. I'd like to see him again - on a line to Jagr's left. Just try it out - it is preseason, no?

6) Rullier - He was awarded extra ice time in the second half of the game - particularly on the PP, but will not see a minute of PP time, hopefully. He didn't play badly - actually he was OK, but his reaction time is slow, and when the game speeds up as a result of these AHLers going back to the AHL, he may have trouble keeping up. Couple plays around the net where he was slow to react (after a shot) and other plays where he showed indecision. He was playing on a second or third pair, so the competition was really light.

7) The awarded penalty shot: strange play. Both 'Drats and Lampman were out there. Both are right defensemen, and Lampman overstayed his previous shift and was somehow wildly out of position (near the red line and on the left side). Both let a guy get between them, but it seems as though it was a miscommunication with a line change. Bad play by all.

8) Kaspar will be the active Kaspar this team signed a few years ago. That means more penalties. More thunderous hits. More carrying the puck. Should be interesting.

9) Immonen showed some decent skill out there. He really didn't grind it out, but didn't seem to have to. Play seemed to keep moving and was back and forth. I don't know if that's a good thing. We haven't seen a real cycle from anyone yet.

That's it from me. It's nice to watch a game twice and freeze it every once in while. Should be an interesting game tonight. Most interesting because we don't know what kind of lineup Renney intends to put out there. Vets, no vets. Youth playing with vets, or a warming up the vets for the regular season. Who knows...

Old
09-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Fish

I see a lot of people make a direct link between ice time in the preseason and whether they get sent down or not. Realistically there are many other factors, and 60 minutes of hockey are probably just the last piece of the puzzle. After all player maturity and attitude on and off the ice would come into play, as would how the player has practiced and performed in training camp and of course how they've performed in the past and what level.

I suspect Lampman is around because he established himself in the AHL last season, and perhaps has some of those other characteristics that you didn't see on the ice over players that have been sent down.

Old
09-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Levitate

Quote:
5) I do like Prucha, as he does have skill, but he still has a ways to go. It's tough judging the kid when he's playing with Immonen and Nienemen. I'd like to see him again - on a line to Jagr's left. Just try it out - it is preseason, no?
i don't think prucha is going to be a 1st liner, but yeah, what the hey for a preseason game? i think he can play an effective game without scoring all the time, but one would hope he'd ease into the scoring role as he gets more used to NA too

i'd definatly like to see more of immonen tonight though...well, not see, cuz i can't watch the game!

stupid washington dc...

Old
09-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I see a lot of people make a direct link between ice time in the preseason and whether they get sent down or not. Realistically there are many other factors, and 60 minutes of hockey are probably just the last piece of the puzzle. After all player maturity and attitude on and off the ice would come into play, as would how the player has practiced and performed in training camp and of course how they've performed in the past and what level.

I suspect Lampman is around because he established himself in the AHL last season, and perhaps has some of those other characteristics that you didn't see on the ice over players that have been sent down.
I agree with this big time....These players are not being sent down (or kept) based on their performance in 1 pre-season game...Decsions are being based on what they have shown before in the AHl/NHL (guys like Betts), how they have been performing and working thoroughout the entire camp, whether it be drills or games, and the development plans the organization has for the player (i.e., Dawes does not belong in the NHL right now), and the games....Now, as we move on in pre-season, I think the performance in the gaames start carrying much extra weight and will determine who stays and goes..

Old
09-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Fletch

I don't think he will be either...

but is he a third liner or a second liner? If second, no reason to see if he can keep up with a faster and more skilled pace (re: Jagr) to see if he elevates his game. I used Jagr because he's played with Jagr in the past, supposedly. Can Prucha play both wing positions?

I agree Fish...that's why I think the decision to send down Balej was mostly made prior to the game, but still wanted to see him play to see if he works very hard and is productive. Balej basically played himself out of that spot.

Old
09-27-2005, 10:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its not all that bad either to send Dawes and Balej down. They'll play games with Jessiman and theyll also get to KNOW eachother. Its good to have all these young kids share TIME on a team where they can PLAY minutes. The great thing about sending them down is that they can play 30-40 games with eachother an get to know eachother on and off the ice. That bond if formed, could easily translate to the NHL level once they all get there, if they all get there.

Who knows, what if JEssiman and Dawes become a sick tandem and just find that they work really well together and have a nack for putting the puck in the net? Thats something you wouldnt find out at the NHL level.

Old
09-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Fletch

It's not bad at all...

but it wouldn't have hurt to play Dawes with more experience NHLers - who knows, maybe he keeps up and we actually would've had a chance to see his scoring touch - maybe that's a longshot, but I'm not sure why he'd play with Wiseman and Moore, unless Renney has different opinions of those two than I. And I think that perhaps Prucha should've been on the line that Balej was on that game because I think that it's obvious the organization is a bit higher on Prucha than Balej at this point, possibly given the camp, skill level, maturity, or whatever the reason. That's the sense I get.

Old
09-27-2005, 10:23 AM
maddog24g

Just to make sure that this horse that we're beating is really dead (stay down fool!)....

Playing dawes and possibly balej in one game then sending them down could be seen as taking that final look at them before sending them to hartford with enough time to be involved in that camp. I would be just as annoyed if they would have kept the both of them and stuck them on the 4th line.

Hartford has to get their team in order after all, and shoenfeld (sp) has already commented that many of their guys are still in ranger camp (before this last round of player movements) so the sooner the rangers make their decisions, the better it is for both teams.

They presumably were looking for balej to seize a spot and he obvioussly didn't. Dawes is supposed to be an offensive prospect so he can deffinately use the time in the minors to work on getting the offensive part of his game on track at a higher level. While he didn't look out of place, he didn't really take any offensive chances.
If his goal scoring doesn't transfer to the ahl then by all means turn him into a checking beast.

As far as some of the euro prospects, the org is less familiar with them as far as first hand accounts so them getting an extra look can be seen as just that.... allowing the org to see what they have so that later on they have a baseline against which they can evaluate their progress. Stats aren't everything after all.

Closed Thread