HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Heatley Charged with vehicular homicide

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 01:34 PM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
Heatley Charged with vehicular homicide

http://www.630ched.com/news/NEWS.cfm...e=s100655A&n=2

Old
10-06-2003, 01:41 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
This just keeps getting worse, and worse.
Ugliest hockey story in years.

Old
10-06-2003, 01:58 PM
paul99

Give peace a chance. I mean, give life a chance.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:12 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul99
Give peace a chance. I mean, give life a chance.
No news here, it's mentioned in the Will Heatley recover thread. It announced along with Snyder's death.

About halfway down, provides some info.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...5&pagenumber=3

And then some updated info.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...5&pagenumber=5

Old
10-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
A spokesman for the district attorney's office, Erik Friedly, said the charge was based on a preliminary finding that Heatley was driving recklessly. It carries a prison sentence of three to 15 years.
Ouch!

Old
10-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Teemu

what a difference a day makes, for both of these young men

Old
10-06-2003, 03:50 PM
paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
No news here, it's mentioned in the Will Heatley recover thread. It announced along with Snyder's death.

About halfway down, provides some info.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...5&pagenumber=3

And then some updated info.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...5&pagenumber=5
I don't understand your post Smokey. Your 3126th post is not the best one! What is really necessary and instructive?

Old
10-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Spaceace

Good, I hope Healtey gets the maximum!! I don't care what people say, "Oh,it's bad enough that Synder passed away", WAKE THE ****** UP!!!!! Healtey should be punished for his actions. He KNEW that the car could haul major ass,it's a Ferrari for God's sake!!!! At least wait until you're alone if you want to cash in on your death wish!! He is NOT a little kid;he knew that speed can kill. My thoughts & prayers go out to Synder's family & friends. (Throw the book at Heatley). No special treatment just b/c he's a professional athlete.

Old
10-06-2003, 04:51 PM
berney fkaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by weight39
Good, I hope Healtey gets the maximum!! I don't care what people say, "Oh,it's bad enough that Synder passed away", WAKE THE ****** UP!!!!! Healtey should be punished for his actions. He KNEW that the car could haul major ass,it's a Ferrari for God's sake!!!! At least wait until you're alone if you want to cash in on your death wish!! He is NOT a little kid;he knew that speed can kill. My thoughts & prayers go out to Synder's family & friends. (Throw the book at Heatley). No special treatment just b/c he's a professional athlete.

come on man, thats a little harsh. And you don't need a Ferrari to drive fast.

Old
10-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Take it easy. It's true though. Why should he get special treatment because he is a hockey player? A normal person like your or me would be crusified.

Old
10-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

they will throw the book at him. this isnt LA this is Georgia justice will be served. this kid better hope he can cut a deal

Old
10-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Wake up man. He won't. Did Craig MacTavish get the maximum? No. Did Mike Tyson? No. Jayson Williams? Wasn't even given a sentence by a jury. Even Rae Carruth didn't get the maximum sentence (although he nearly got it). There is no realistic reason that Heatley will face the maximum. Even if he was just a regular Joe, given his age and lack of record, he would never get the maximum.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:00 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
they will throw the book at him. this isnt LA this is Georgia justice will be served. this kid better hope he can cut a deal
That's good, rush to judgement AND make a stereotype.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Spaceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Wake up man. He won't. Did Craig MacTavish get the maximum? No. Did Mike Tyson? No. Jayson Williams? Wasn't even given a sentence by a jury. Even Rae Carruth didn't get the maximum sentence (although he nearly got it). There is no realistic reason that Heatley will face the maximum. Even if he was just a regular Joe, given his age and lack of record, he would never get the maximum.
That's what is wrong with America's so-called "legal system". A slap on the wrists for atheltes,movie stars,t.v. stars, & rock/hip-hop stars. It never sends a message to the others.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
That's what is wrong with America's so-called "legal system". A slap on the wrists for atheltes,movie stars,t.v. stars, & rock/hip-hop stars. It never sends a message to the others.
Well that's the reality you have to live with, like it or not, there is nothing you can do about it. Also, you fail to realize that they have to live with it for the rest of their lives, and that everywhere they go on a road trip, someone is going to ask about it. Snyders death will forever be attached to Heatley's name. That he is a star player only magnifies it.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:08 PM
ihatenewjersey

realisticly can someone give me an approx. of what he will be punished with(charged), when might he return after he gets healthy

Old
10-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
That's good, rush to judgement AND make a stereotype.
The legal system says innocent until proven guilty but i dont have to think that. this guys is as guilty as sin what can his defense be? have you even read about this case?

Old
10-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
The legal system says innocent until proven guilty but i dont have to think that. what can his defense be? have you even read about this case?
Well you right there admitted that you rushed to judgement. Yes, he has little defense if any, but as I said earlier there is no reason why he would get "the book thrown at him," and it doesn't mean you can go and make stereotypes about LA being soft, Georgia, and "southern law."

Old
10-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey
realisticly can someone give me an approx. of what he will be punished with(charged), when might he return after he gets healthy
Vehicular homicide carries a 3-15 year jail sentence with it in Georgia. It would probably be best if he pleaded guilty to vehicular manslaughter, which does not carry a jail sentence.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul99
I don't understand your post Smokey. Your 3126th post is not the best one! What is really necessary and instructive?
Just mentioning that it's not brand spanking new. Plus, what I posted provided what I felt to be a good bit of insight into Vehicular homicide. It wasn't my best, but it wasn't bad.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Easy Tiger.

Wishes,
Roy

Old
10-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

I think what you should specify here is that these stars get off of serving 'real time' because they have the dough to get the best attorneys in the business. THATS the legal system, kid

Old
10-06-2003, 06:56 PM
BCCHL inactive

It is nothing but pure bull**** that Heatley is charged with 1st degree vehicular homicide...another word for murder. I don't think even a Georgia jury would be dumb enough to convict Heatley for murder in this case.

The charge should be vehicular manslaughter.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:03 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
It is nothing but pure bull**** that Heatley is charged with 1st degree vehicular homicide...another word for murder. I don't think even a Georgia jury would be dumb enough to convict Heatley for murder in this case.

The charge should be vehicular manslaughter.
I totally agree. Murder denotes intent, and that certainly was not the case here.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:03 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey
It's still hard to say I think. What he's been charged with carries a sentence of 3-15 years in prison, and a couple of the other charges he already had also carry maximum 1 year prison sentences. As someone else said, he may be able to plead guilty to the lesser charge of vehicular manslaughter.

With his injuries, he was probably going to miss this whole season anyways. So he could realistically be back at the start of next season. Also depends on his mental state at the time when his legal troubles are behind him and he's rehabbed etc.

Closed Thread