HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Patience after game one

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Guy!

vCash: 500
Patience after game one

Interesting in the 'game thread' that the majority of the posts are ones decrying the team and predicting eternal gloom. I wonder how many of you were actually thinking of having Julien fired after that game, and how many wrote off much of what you saw and the year as a whole as a complete loss. We all know this is a rebuilding year...don't we?

Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the overall picture instead of just the microcosm that is the single game. And sometimes you have to focus in on certain things within the game to find the gems that will lead to future successes.

There was nothing horrible about this game in the least. I think if you went back and watched game tapes from our two 6-2 losses last year, you'd be shocked at how good this team is compared to that - in terms of the little things. Yes, we lost the game, but there was so much more going on that just the score. If I'm the coach, I go home thinking that the first hurdle is accomplished. Did anyone actually think they were going to beat the Sens? The team that is supposed to win the cup?

Some will point out the 'circumstances' of the loss, but I say look closely at each individual factor, take into consideration that this is the first game of the year, and then look forward carefully.

~~

Notes:

Theo: He wasn't bad, had zero chance on three goals, a marginal chance on one and blew the Alfie goal. Sadly, for this team to do anything, that's not good enough. Then again, it can be said that he was left alone far too often.

Markov: Made an error or two and was either benched or took himself out of it late in the second. Too bad, because he's still the best defenseman in town by a country mile.

Rivet: One of the worst games I've ever seen him play. Perhaps Markov just decided he couldn't take it playing with this guy and benched the pairing.

Brisebois: Stuck to the basics and played an excellent game, even throwing the body on occasion. If he can continue to play this way, he's a ligitimate #3 defender.

Hainsey: When he has the puck, he's great. When he doesn't have the puck, he's prone to some wicked bad mistakes. Part of it is nerves, but really I would have expected better from someone of his potential at this point in his career.

Souray: First game in over a year and played like he was nervous. Elements of his play from the playoffs way back when, and I suspect in two or three weeks, we'll all be much more pleased with his play.

Quintal: Disappointing to the extreme. Made gaffe after gaffe. If I'm the coach, (and they did say that players were going to get ice time on merit this year) Komi takes his place next game.

Hossa: Some good, some bad. Showed more than his average game last year, but honestly, this is a guy we need to take two or three steps forward, not just one. Playing on the first line at this stage is too much, but he wouldn't look out of place on line two.

Ribeiro: Showed more than I would have expected. The goal was of the dangle variety which should make plays of the week which is nice. His play off and on the puck was much stronger than in the past. Definitely not a first line centre, and probably never will be, however as a fill in number two for the year, I'm sold if he plays like today.

Zednik: Obvious that the Ottawa D keyed on him more than anyone else. Whenever he got near the puck there were routinely two guys closing him down. Without Sax in the lineup, he's the only real threat, and everyone will know that this year. Up to him to up his game to cement himself as a solid, dependable first liner this year.

Bulis: Strong at both ends of the rink, despite his +/-. Shame he had to play with those linemates. Once we get Sax back, he'll at least have a centre to work with.

Perreault: Better defensively, but gives up when the puck is just out of reach. Wonderful hands, but doesn't pay the price to get into position to use them. Waste of a spot, in my opinion. If we're going with youth, this is the first guy I toss overboard.

Audette: Better than what we saw last year, but he'll never get 20 playing like he did. He needs to use that extra gear he has to be useful - he failed tonight.

Sundstrom: Disappointing at both ends. And yet, I think for him to improve, he needs to get on a better line. Put him on the right of line two with Ribby and Bulis, and you might have something.

Juneau: Last year he lost three steps. This year it's another three. The heart he gives each shift makes less and less impression on the game now. Then again, he's still crafty and smart defensively.

Dackell: Played a typical Dax game. Mostly dependable defensively and offered more offense than anyone else on that line.

Dwyer: At least he didn't lose his fight. Otherwise, he's an AHL player all the way.

Ryder: Impressive and outclassed his linemates rather badly. Perhaps stick him on the second line with Ribby and Bulis and see what happens.

Ward: Lots of effort. Lots of heart. AHL skill-set. He's the typical AHL star who is never able to crack the NHL reliably. See Michel Picard et al.

~~

There were lots of good things in this game that we can build on. Lots of bad that we need to work on. Of note: We blocked more shots this game than we did all year last year. We actually have some understanding of cycling the puck offensively. When the system works, it works well and we were in it for those stretches. Special teams were painful at best. When we look lost, it's bad, however it's miles better than when we looked lost last year - there's hope. The actual building blocks, i.e. the players, are better than last year.

All in all, despite the score, I'd have to say I was moderately pleased. I don't know what anyone else expected, especially considering it was the Sens, but we did a decent job of playing with them for stretches. Add in a couple of players a la Sax, Kilger, Komi, and I think it's that much closer.

For those of you who feel this was a complete loss in every sense, perhaps you'd better not watch another game - this is the Habs this year: building. If, however you like to see things slowly come together, then I think this will be about the most rewarding season since about 95. Watch closely for the little things, you might be surprised at what you see.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:48 PM
SuperUnknown

I agree most everything but Perreault. I think he played a solid game. He was coming back deep in the defensive zone. He cut some offensive passes close to the net. He was also on his man in the slot, giving him small crosschecks. He was forechecking better than last year and he was playing smart in the neutral zone (the trap). He even threw some hits. He set-up a nice pass from the back of the net to Audette for one of the best scoring chances. He also had another very good scoring chance with Bulis (that I remember). I know everyone hates him, but he isn't bad by "default".

Old
10-09-2003, 10:59 PM
Habs

Unfortunately, the team is playing where they left off last year. Julien has to get the troops more motivated.

I certainly expected more of an effort for game one, of the new NHL season.

If the effort was there, we could at least expect an improvement in the fundamentals of the game. However, the effort has not been there in almost any game since Julien took the coaching duties.

Realistically, it's the character we have on the ice as well. Maybe a game or two with Langdon, and Begin, will wake up some of the veterans and rookies.

Old
10-10-2003, 03:16 AM
mcphee

I think we have to let the season unfold a bit. The PP will take time as I get the impression that players who take a shift off won't be rewarded with PP time. Guy I agree with some of your comments and disagree on some others. I thought it was a tossup with Rivet and Markov as to who was worse. The way Markov left his position before the turnover on the Alfreddson goal got him benched. Hopefully he got the message.
Brisebois and Hainsey were well insulated, I found that they were used against the 3rd and 4th lines pretty much. I thought Ward was put in a bad position having to play a few shifts at center. It's not really fair to him as he just can't do that at the NHL level. He played a lot better when Bullis centered their line. I think the first quarter of the season will be spent finding out who is willing to play a team game.

Also let's give the Sens some credit, they are one outstanding team. The speed of Hossa and co. is intimidating. I feel bad for them this year as I get the impression that the whole year will be spent waiting for the playoffs to start. They have to win this year, and I would be quite surprised to not see them in the finals.

Old
10-10-2003, 03:33 AM
Gros Bill

I agree with your comments concerning the team, Guy. We are only one game into the season, and I sure didn't expect teht the team would win 82 games this year. We were playing against one of the league's top teams, and all in all, it could have been worse ("It could have been raining", as Napoleon said after Waterloo.). We even managed to outshoot them !

I figure it's still a bit early to throw in the towel, so Go Habs Go

Old
10-10-2003, 03:41 AM
Darz

Overall it was a pretty weak effort, but playing against the best team in the league in their home opener is pretty tough. I would imagine if we win Saturday this game won't hurt nearly as much.
I think if a few things went a different way, there could of been a different result. Defensively we sucked out there and our PK'ing basically cost us the game. Inject Koivu into this lineup, and tighten up defensively, expecially during the PK and I'm still not worried yet.

......as long as we are 1-1 after Saturday I'm a very happy man.

Old
10-10-2003, 03:42 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Theo: He wasn't bad, had zero chance on three goals, a marginal chance on one and blew the Alfie goal. Sadly, for this team to do anything, that's not good enough. Then again, it can be said that he was left alone far too often.

Markov: Made an error or two and was either benched or took himself out of it late in the second. Too bad, because he's still the best defenseman in town by a country mile.

Rivet: One of the worst games I've ever seen him play. Perhaps Markov just decided he couldn't take it playing with this guy and benched the pairing.

Brisebois: Stuck to the basics and played an excellent game, even throwing the body on occasion. If he can continue to play this way, he's a ligitimate #3 defender.

Hainsey: When he has the puck, he's great. When he doesn't have the puck, he's prone to some wicked bad mistakes. Part of it is nerves, but really I would have expected better from someone of his potential at this point in his career.

Souray: First game in over a year and played like he was nervous. Elements of his play from the playoffs way back when, and I suspect in two or three weeks, we'll all be much more pleased with his play.

Quintal: Disappointing to the extreme. Made gaffe after gaffe. If I'm the coach, (and they did say that players were going to get ice time on merit this year) Komi takes his place next game.

Hossa: Some good, some bad. Showed more than his average game last year, but honestly, this is a guy we need to take two or three steps forward, not just one. Playing on the first line at this stage is too much, but he wouldn't look out of place on line two.

Ribeiro: Showed more than I would have expected. The goal was of the dangle variety which should make plays of the week which is nice. His play off and on the puck was much stronger than in the past. Definitely not a first line centre, and probably never will be, however as a fill in number two for the year, I'm sold if he plays like today.

Zednik: Obvious that the Ottawa D keyed on him more than anyone else. Whenever he got near the puck there were routinely two guys closing him down. Without Sax in the lineup, he's the only real threat, and everyone will know that this year. Up to him to up his game to cement himself as a solid, dependable first liner this year.

Bulis: Strong at both ends of the rink, despite his +/-. Shame he had to play with those linemates. Once we get Sax back, he'll at least have a centre to work with.

Perreault: Better defensively, but gives up when the puck is just out of reach. Wonderful hands, but doesn't pay the price to get into position to use them. Waste of a spot, in my opinion. If we're going with youth, this is the first guy I toss overboard.

Audette: Better than what we saw last year, but he'll never get 20 playing like he did. He needs to use that extra gear he has to be useful - he failed tonight.

Sundstrom: Disappointing at both ends. And yet, I think for him to improve, he needs to get on a better line. Put him on the right of line two with Ribby and Bulis, and you might have something.

Juneau: Last year he lost three steps. This year it's another three. The heart he gives each shift makes less and less impression on the game now. Then again, he's still crafty and smart defensively.

Dackell: Played a typical Dax game. Mostly dependable defensively and offered more offense than anyone else on that line.

Dwyer: At least he didn't lose his fight. Otherwise, he's an AHL player all the way.

Ryder: Impressive and outclassed his linemates rather badly. Perhaps stick him on the second line with Ribby and Bulis and see what happens.

Ward: Lots of effort. Lots of heart. AHL skill-set. He's the typical AHL star who is never able to crack the NHL reliably. See Michel Picard et al.
I am with you on most of your comment. I think Audette and Perrault are on the way out of Montreal. At the end they where playing with Dwyer and only for a couple of minute. I think both of them are in the dog house. For Ward, the fact that he have to play center was brutal on is game. Near the end with bulis at center it was a lot better. Ryder was the sunshine in this gloomy game. He play a lot like Zednik but with a little less speed. Will become really good with time.
Let cross our finger and hope for the best...

Old
10-10-2003, 03:42 AM
All-Star

Quote:
I had a problem with Audette's play last night... He was playing fine in the offensive zone, but whenever he'd be skating back to his zone, he'd stop skating as soon as he'd cross the red line, and just let himself glide into the defensive zone. This caused him to be behind the play on many occasions in his zone... I don't think that maneuver is part of Julien's system... Because systems depend on the whole team doing what they are supposed to, Audette is a liability. If he keeps doing this, they should just send him to the pressbox and put Higgins in... at least he can play in his own zone.

Old
10-10-2003, 03:51 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Interesting in the 'game thread' that the majority of the posts are ones decrying the team and predicting eternal gloom. I wonder how many of you were actually thinking of having Julien fired after that game, and how many wrote off much of what you saw and the year as a whole as a complete loss. We all know this is a rebuilding year...don't we?

Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the overall picture instead of just the microcosm that is the single game. And sometimes you have to focus in on certain things within the game to find the gems that will lead to future successes.

There was nothing horrible about this game in the least. I think if you went back and watched game tapes from our two 6-2 losses last year, you'd be shocked at how good this team is compared to that - in terms of the little things. Yes, we lost the game, but there was so much more going on that just the score. If I'm the coach, I go home thinking that the first hurdle is accomplished. Did anyone actually think they were going to beat the Sens? The team that is supposed to win the cup?

Some will point out the 'circumstances' of the loss, but I say look closely at each individual factor, take into consideration that this is the first game of the year, and then look forward carefully.

~~

Notes:

~~

There were lots of good things in this game that we can build on. Lots of bad that we need to work on. Of note: We blocked more shots this game than we did all year last year. We actually have some understanding of cycling the puck offensively. When the system works, it works well and we were in it for those stretches. Special teams were painful at best. When we look lost, it's bad, however it's miles better than when we looked lost last year - there's hope. The actual building blocks, i.e. the players, are better than last year.

All in all, despite the score, I'd have to say I was moderately pleased. I don't know what anyone else expected, especially considering it was the Sens, but we did a decent job of playing with them for stretches. Add in a couple of players a la Sax, Kilger, Komi, and I think it's that much closer.

For those of you who feel this was a complete loss in every sense, perhaps you'd better not watch another game - this is the Habs this year: building. If, however you like to see things slowly come together, then I think this will be about the most rewarding season since about 95. Watch closely for the little things, you might be surprised at what you see.

A concerned fan.

100 % d'accord. Bravo.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:29 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
I was at the game and it was a pretty entertaining game overall. But I was getting tired of the habs dumping the puck in the sens zone. Why can`t they just go in the offensive zone without dumping the puck? why??????

Old
10-10-2003, 05:03 AM
Guriken

I'm disapointed with Hossa's play, how can we let him play on the 2nd line?? he is not able to reach the puck and control it. I saw Vermette play, i saw some other rookies and i think they are way better than hossa.. why is he playing on the 2nd line? let a better player take his place, at least it's not ribeiro who will do all the work.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:03 AM
turnbuckle*

I find your post rather contradictory, Guy. You're telling everybody not to panic after one game, but yet you're more than willing to declare Ward a "AHL minor leaguer" after one game in which he played a position he has not been comfortable with since he was 17 years old. I thought he played a rather safe game considering what was asked of him, paying particular attention to his play defensively.

Did you see the eight games he played with the Habs last season, or do they not count anymore after this one match against Stanley Cup contenders which you already stated wasn't supposed to mean very much in the big picture??

Old
10-10-2003, 05:21 AM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
The player who had a great games:

Ribeiro:I loved what I saw from him,If he can do this all year long I think this year will be great for him

Juneau:Am I the omly one who think he played a great game??

Hainsey;played a great game offensively and defensively

Zednik: played a great game,nothing more

The player who had a bad game:

Hossa:I must admit It,I was disapointed with Is play tonught but I think he will rebound In the next few games

Bulis:Seriously guys I watch all the game and heard is name maybe a few times but nothing more I was verry Disapointed with is game

Markov:Not a bad game, but was not the Markov we saw last year

IMO the worst thing In this game was the Montreal Powerplay,I thimk It was worst than last year

Old
10-10-2003, 05:33 AM
oli500

The problem was the sens are a much faster team the us. If we use the system wich is probaly dumping the puck, it wont allways work againts those teams. Are players would allways stop skating in the midle of the rink after the dump, of course were going to get gouth of guard, are players are too slow vs the sens players so they outskate us. We need a coach who well look at others teams videos and exploit there week-neeses. Not allways dump the puck. Toronto has a slow defences corps and we have to exploit that not dump the puck because were going to get burnt by players likes mogilny and sundin.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:49 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
I didn't get the chance to watch this game as closely as I would, but I think you should put more stock into the players that had good games rather than the ones who had bad games. If we're rebuilding and Ottawa is a cup contender, then you honestly can't expect all the players to be able to keep up with them. But the one's that did, and even made Ottawa look a little stupid at times (Hainsey's goal) would be what i'd be paying more attention to.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Phillerup

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
I agree most everything but Perreault. I think he played a solid game. He was coming back deep in the defensive zone. He cut some offensive passes close to the net. He was also on his man in the slot, giving him small crosschecks. He was forechecking better than last year and he was playing smart in the neutral zone (the trap). He even threw some hits. He set-up a nice pass from the back of the net to Audette for one of the best scoring chances. He also had another very good scoring chance with Bulis (that I remember). I know everyone hates him, but he isn't bad by "default".
I agree with Smail...Perreault played a good game. If he plays like this all season, he won't find himself on the 4th line playing with Dwyer and Ward again. I honestly can't understand why many dislike him.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:10 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa

Well, Juneau and Dackell are not THAT bad, they are just what makes the log jam with the Habs. These middle of road guys are what clogs up the line up, and ties up $$.

With them around, you can't bring in UFA's or give the youngguys a real chance of quality ice time.

Anyone can play defensively. Anyone. Lemaire has proven that with spare parts over the years.

If you read the book "Moneyball" you get the picture. If you can get guys on the cheao to do the same job, then don't get tied down to veterns that are losing a step. Get a guy while he is improving, not slowing down.

Juneau, Dackell, Audette, Q, Brisebois and to a lesser extent Perrealt's jobs could be done for less money. Either with what we already have in the rookies or with some good/cheap/young UFA's.

Plus...Juneau's picture in LaPresse yesterday says it all, he thinks he is above the coaches. Not a good example from a vetern...

Old
10-10-2003, 07:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillerup
I agree with Smail...Perreault played a good game. If he plays like this all season, he won't find himself on the 4th line playing with Dwyer and Ward again. I honestly can't understand why many dislike him.

It's simple really. He's on the ice for a lot more goals against then goals for. He's soft, slow and lazy with a nice wrist shot.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:58 AM
deandebean

Quote:

Ribeiro:I loved what I saw from him,If he can do this all year long I think this year will be great for him

Hossa:I must admit It,I was disapointed with Is play tonught but I think he will rebound In the next few games

Bulis:Seriously guys I watch all the game and heard is name maybe a few times but nothing more I was verry Disapointed with is game

IMO the worst thing In this game was the Montreal Powerplay,I thimk It was worst than last year

Juneau was directly responsible for one of the goals. He didn't cover his man. For a defensive forward, it's as bad as Theo not blocking the Alfredsson shot.

By the way, Theo went to the 426 Lounge in Hull errrrr.....Gatineau afterwards. According to some, he was mad as hell. He told the owner: "I want to be left alone, I just want to decompress."

Old
10-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
I find your post rather contradictory, Guy. You're telling everybody not to panic after one game, but yet you're more than willing to declare Ward a "AHL minor leaguer" after one game in which he played a position he has not been comfortable with since he was 17 years old. I thought he played a rather safe game considering what was asked of him, paying particular attention to his play defensively.

Did you see the eight games he played with the Habs last season, or do they not count anymore after this one match against Stanley Cup contenders which you already stated wasn't supposed to mean very much in the big picture??
Truth be told, I've felt that way about Ward since day one. Yes, he came in and played well last year, but let's remember that this team packed up and left the season early last year. We were in the hunt for a playoff spot with the Rag$ and the IS Slander and we had the worst record down the stretch. In those games, where everyone else mailed it in, Ward played extremely hard. But does that make him an NHL-quality player?

Like I said in the original post, he plays with heart and soul, and I think he does that every shift, which is nice to have and certainly nice to see especially after last year, but on almost any other team in the NHL, this guy would probably not be in the NHL. In Montreal, he's here because he doesn't mail in shifts - and that's pretty much it.

I've seen every game he's played in the NHL and, while I really do appreciate that effort, he's an AHLer, pure and simple - hasn't showed me anything more. I would much rather see Higgins in that position because we know he has much higher potential, and I don't mind him learning in a tril-by-fire scenario. Higgins is a character guy, and that type of player is *much* better at learning on the go. (I'm not saying Ward isn't a character player, just saying that Higgins wouldn't lose so much confidence so as to become devastated and stunt his development.)

The fact that I dismiss Ward as an AHLer should not indicate that I'm panicking and contradicting the tone of the post, all I want people to read out of it is that he just doesn't belong here. I'm sure we'll still see him and I'm sure he'll offer up some production here and there, and I know he'll never mail in a shift, but in the end, he's not an NHL fit.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:44 AM
fatmax

Quote:

A concerned fan.
Just a reminder that everybody had a bad game defensively so I won't complain on that point!!
I agree with most part of your point except on those one, here's my impression:

Rivet: I think it was is driving to the net that gives you a bad impression, maybe he wasn't great defensivelly but for the first time, we saw a CH shirt in front of the sens net... but there was too much sens shirt in front of ours... but that's another storry!

Hainsey: not bad without the puck, I remember see him neutralize somebody on a one on one and I wasn't expecting that, but he's nervous
Rivet

Perreault: didn't skate + had no heart = wuss

Sundstrom: If my memory's right, I remember when Juneau and dackell wss on the ice, there was somebody else on the ice (I assume it was sundstrom) and he was trowing boddy check... that's a nice +

Juneau: same thing here, I think he's finish but lets give him a 2 weeks notice!

Dackell: I want this guy out of the line up, doesn,t do anything on the ice, bring back higgins!

Hope it's not going to be like this the entire season!
Fat

Old
10-10-2003, 08:48 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
It's simple really. He's on the ice for a lot more goals against then goals for. He's soft, slow and lazy with a nice wrist shot.
Last night he wasn't lazy, he would actively forecheck, get back on defense quickly, give the stick to his player in the slot, etc. He wasn't that slow either and forced some quick plays by the Sens defense. He's usually soft, but against the sens he would take hits and even give some, use his stick to shove the player out of the slot, etc. He wasn't at fault for any Sens goal. It's not his fault that he was playing with Audette. Bulis wasn't awesome either, I'd even say Perreault had a better game then Bulis.

About the fact that "he's on the ice for a lot more goals against then goals for", well he's a career -7 and he has a total of 50 PP + SH points, so in his career he was on the ice for 43 more goals for than goals against.

What I find funny on this board is that we get trends where almost everyone has a player/coach they dislike and won't give them ANY credit whatever they do. The same is true for other players that get unconditional love whatever mistake they do (Kilger is a bit of an example, he's played with the sleep switch on and yet we're ready to give him another chance, saying he's not that bad).

I don't like Perreault much. I don't like Brisebois much. Yet I'll give them credit if they have a good game.

Perreault did everything that people accused him of not doing last night. Sure, he wasn't all over the ice and a superstar, but that's not exactly his job. Yet he's getting dissed again...

Old
10-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Perreault did everything that people accused him of not doing last night. Sure, he wasn't all over the ice and a superstar, but that's not exactly his job. Yet he's getting dissed again...
He did play a better game than last year, but what is that saying? What concerns me most is his despondent attitude when, during an attack, the puck was just out of his reach. He routinely drops his head and starts skating to his own zone, regardless. If he would just furnish an effort for the *entire* shift instead of his spotty play, he could be good.

Here's a question for you: where does he really fit on this team?

Koivu is the first line centre, I think most would awknowledge that.
Ribeiro looks like he's actually going to play well enough for the second line role; now that's after a game and the preseason, but perhaps he's grown up and figured out what he has to do at the NHL level, and after his performance last night against the best team he'll face, I'd have to say so far I'm pleased. Kilger will be back and Gainey wants him at centre because of his physical presence - I'm guessing he'll inherit the third or fourth line. I suggest to you that will move Juneau to the wing.

Can you have a $2.8 million player as your fourth line centre? He certainly doesn't have the skill to play checking line centre. He's much too soft to play on the wing, and I think that scenario is out. I'm really curious to see where he's going to go with this team. I'm sure Gainey would rather have a younger player on the fourth line working his way into the NHL rather than an overpriced softy.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Dynasty

Quote:

Amazing!!!...I don't think we were watching the same game or what were you smoking???

Old
10-10-2003, 10:04 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
He did play a better game than last year, but what is that saying? What concerns me most is his despondent attitude when, during an attack, the puck was just out of his reach. He routinely drops his head and starts skating to his own zone, regardless. If he would just furnish an effort for the *entire* shift instead of his spotty play, he could be good.

Here's a question for you: where does he really fit on this team?
Well it wasn't just him that would dump and stop skating, it's the Julien system. Also maybe on that play you're referring to he was doing a line change? I've seen him forecheck on numerous occasions, even when he didn't really have a chance to get at the puck, forcing Ottawa's defense to react quickly.

We don't really have a team anyway, the question is where do most players fit? We lack some size, a true third line, big players on the top two lines, etc... Imo, he's a decent 2nd line center or if you can get a good 2nd line that is defensively responsible (like Rucchin's line in Anaheim), then he could be the third center on the team. Like I said, we don't have a team, so I guess he fits pretty much anywhere. We could argue all day and night about Koivu being a true 1st line center. Heck, a 1-2 lineup of Koivu-Ribeiro is really weak anyway, it doesn't really fit...

It's not Perreault's fault that we don't have a team where he can fit in. Perreault's only accountable to giving good on-ice performance, and that's exactly what I saw from him yesterday. He even went a few times in the corners in the defensive zone.

If I was the coach, I'd put a Ribeiro-Perreault-RW together for the time being.

Closed Thread