HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Gaborik Switches Agents?

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 03:04 PM
Emule Richard

vCash: 500
Gaborik Switches Agents?

Apparently, Gaborik has switched agents from Walsh to Walsh's partner, Schatia. http://hokej.point.sk/spravy/?id=24700
Unfortunately, I can't read Slovak, but a guy on a Minnesota Wild board can and translated this. If i'm not mistaken, didn't Schatia end up completing negotiations on the Havlat deal too? This doesn't look good for Walsh...maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'm beginning to get the impression that he's more of a win-lose type negotiator than a win-win type negotiator, and that's what may be causing all these contract fiascos (Havlat, Fleury, Dupuis, Gaborik)...makes me wonder whether the Wild just offered Walsh's clients such poor offers and took such hard stands because because of the way he approached them in negotiatons, with such a no-compromise attitude. To me, this suggests that Walsh needs to take a more collaborative approach to negotiations and try to find other ways to satisfy either his client or the club, aside from money...or maybe even just be more open to suggestions. Nonethelees, I found this interesting, as I haven't been overly impressed with what I've heard of Walsh as an agent thus far.

Old
10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
aylib
User and abuser

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Apparently, Gaborik has switched agents from Walsh to Walsh's partner, Schatia. http://hokej.point.sk/spravy/?id=24700
Unfortunately, I can't read Slovak, but a guy on a Minnesota Wild board can and translated this. If i'm not mistaken, didn't Schatia end up completing negotiations on the Havlat deal too? This doesn't look good for Walsh...maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'm beginning to get the impression that he's more of a win-lose type negotiator than a win-win type negotiator, and that's what may be causing all these contract fiascos (Havlat, Fleury, Dupuis, Gaborik)...makes me wonder whether the Wild just offered Walsh's clients such poor offers and took such hard stands because because of the way he approached them in negotiatons, with such a no-compromise attitude. To me, this suggests that Walsh needs to take a more collaborative approach to negotiations and try to find other ways to satisfy either his client or the club, aside from money...or maybe even just be more open to suggestions. Nonethelees, I found this interesting, as I haven't been overly impressed with what I've heard of Walsh as an agent thus far.
Schatia will take over negotiating for Gaborik.

Closed Thread