HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Trophy Predictions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2003, 04:47 PM
  #26
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
Registered User
 
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: This space.
Country: Poland
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
The pens have 2 top prospects in Orpik and Fleury, but I'm afraid neither will come close, not Orpik anyway because he is a defensive defenceman on a bad team, so I think Murley and Koltsov have the best chance, but I would be very suprised if either gets over 40 points, Koltsov has the best chance right now for the pens (starting season on a line with Lemieux and Straka).

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 04:52 PM
  #27
Brock
HFB Partner
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The GTA
Posts: 9,675
vCash: 500
A few guys whom find themselves in good positions...

Kamil Piros of the Thrasher looks to be starting the year on a line with Ilya Kovalchuk and with Heatley now out of the picture, the Thrashers are going to be looking at his line for serious goal production. Piros and Kovalchuk showed good chemistry in preseason.

Konstantin Koltsov finds himself in a similar position, on the number one line with the other great one, Super Mario.

This year could FINALLY be the year for Justin Papineau. He's been teasing us for so long and it looks like he may start the year on one of the top lines. Hopefully he actually sticks for a change.

Brock is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 04:56 PM
  #28
GudVibransons
Registered User
 
GudVibransons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Orlando
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
Goin' for the homer pick, but don't forget Nathan Horton. He is the type of player Mike Keenan loves. His physical game will be a huge addition to the Panthers offense. Plus, with Keenan as his coach, expect him to get significant ice time, plus PP time. If comes close to being the player Keenan hopes he will be, he has a chance of knocking Matt Cullen off of the second line with Huselius and Bure.

GudVibransons is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 05:13 PM
  #29
CoolburnIsGone
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,072
vCash: 500
I'm gonna say it might be one of the 3 top picks from this yrs draft getting it. All 3 should get plenty of opportunities to impress and ice time to prove it. I'm going to go with Staal for now because I think Carolina has more chance to rebound with him performing well. I think Horton will have a season similar to Nash's numbers last yr so he'll be right there as well.

CoolburnIsGone is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 05:27 PM
  #30
Baron Von Shark
Registered User
 
Baron Von Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
Oh man, the replies in this thread are so biased it's a joke. But then again, making this thread before the season has even started...what kind of responses could you expect?

Let's go over this topic a good few months after the season has gotten underway.

Baron Von Shark is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 05:37 PM
  #31
Disco Volante
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 2nd to FloydianSlip
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
My favorite has been Semin for some time now. I think Ruutu has a pretty good chance too. Staal now must be considered as well, even tho I wouldn't have gave him half a chance a month ago...

Anyway, I think the win's going to be clear-cut this year.

Disco Volante is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 05:55 PM
  #32
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,266
vCash: 500
I'll say Svatos just for fun ...and yeah, I'm a "homer".

He led the Avs in points during the preseason. I think thats pretty impressive considering that Kariya, Forsberg, Selanne, Sakic, Hejduk, etc were playing as well.

Zodiac is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 06:54 PM
  #33
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,905
vCash: 500
I think you need to look at the players that are mature and will be given big roles:

My picks

Sejna *top 2 ice time with Doug Weight...*
Ruutu * The Hawks could play him top 2 lines easily...*
Tootoo * for the type of game he plays he will be receiving a lot of recognition*
MAF *#1 goalie for the Penguins, if he keeps them in it this season, he is a lock for a finalist*

Enoch is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 08:21 PM
  #34
ArtVandelei
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
Hard to bet against Staal.

Tootoo...Jordin's just not ROY material, he's just not.

ArtVandelei is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 08:33 PM
  #35
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 16,980
vCash: 500
Alex Semin is a darkhorse candidate at least. If nothing else, he's slated to play with Lang for as long as he's in the NHL this season. Washington has never had me excited for a rookie, well, ever. While this is homerism to the core, i just want to throw out some numbers.

18 year olds in the RSL

GP G A Pts.
Fedorov 48 7 9 16
Mogilny 39 12 8 20
P Bure 46 14 10 24
Semin 47 10 7 17


These numbers always make me so happy.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now  
Old
10-06-2003, 10:31 PM
  #36
Hecht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Hopefully it's Senja, Staal or Burns (doubtful though)

btw is Kotalik eligable?

Hecht is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 10:37 PM
  #37
Freudian
Slightly overpaid
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar
Alex Semin is a darkhorse candidate at least. If nothing else, he's slated to play with Lang for as long as he's in the NHL this season. Washington has never had me excited for a rookie, well, ever. While this is homerism to the core, i just want to throw out some numbers.

18 year olds in the RSL

GP G A Pts.
Fedorov 48 7 9 16
Mogilny 39 12 8 20
P Bure 46 14 10 24
Semin 47 10 7 17


These numbers always make me so happy.
The number of Russian NHL players were probably a bit lower when Fedorov, Mogilny and Bure played there though. I suspect the league had better class back then. That said, the russian league is in upswing and certainly is a good school for young players.

Freudian is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 04:11 AM
  #38
flyercide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
heres my top 3:

horton
pitkanen
fleury

flyercide is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:03 AM
  #39
Preds
Registered User
 
Preds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecht
Hopefully it's Senja, Staal or Burns (doubtful though)

btw is Kotalik eligable?
Nah, he's not

Hopefully, i think it will be tootoo the winner for the calder this year

Preds is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:32 AM
  #40
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
I'm going to make a bold prediction (but only because I believe he might play on the Koivu line).


Ryder
Horton
Pitkanen

Brisebois is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 06:25 AM
  #41
justapantherfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sunrise, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 3,205
vCash: 500
horton
pitkanen
fleury

justapantherfan is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 07:32 AM
  #42
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,922
vCash: 500
1. Staal, because Carolina could be a good team if he has an impact.

2. Fluery, because if he plays well games will be exciting because of him

3. Semin, because the Capitals could be a threat if he has an impact.

txpd is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 07:50 AM
  #43
projexns
Winnipeg White-Out!
 
projexns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Saad Cafe
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Pronger Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
I say 2 dman in back to back years

my early vote goes to Jani Pitkanen

I agree with this guy...........

projexns is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 03:26 PM
  #44
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,507
vCash: 500
homer pick all the way.

Alex Semin! ~0 ~0 ~0 ~0

he's playing with finishers and playmakers, Jagr, Lang, Bondra, Gonchar, Zubrus etc.

EroCaps is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 04:37 PM
  #45
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Shark
Oh man, the replies in this thread are so biased it's a joke.
I have to agree with that!

I like Staal and Pitkanen

Sotnos is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 04:54 PM
  #46
nathan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Shark
Oh man, the replies in this thread are so biased it's a joke. But then again, making this thread before the season has even started...what kind of responses could you expect?

Let's go over this topic a good few months after the season has gotten underway.
Why? When it's close to being decided, there's no purpose to the discussion, especially if there's a clear cut winner.

I think Ruutu has the best chance given that the Hawks really need his production bad. However Colorado College boy, Sejna is close behind.

nathan is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:22 PM
  #47
eSabre
Registered User
 
eSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Derek ROY = Rookie Of the Year



I may be a homer, but oh, well. Ryan Miller's got a shot too... he's made the cut so far and if he wins the starting job early in the season, he should get enough games to contend.

eSabre is offline  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:46 PM
  #48
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes
 
NJDevils#4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,329
vCash: 500
I'm gonna go with Staal, Sejna or Ruutu. Yes, Captain obvious I know, but def. 1 of those 3 will take it.

NJDevils#4 is online now  
Old
10-07-2003, 05:54 PM
  #49
Baron Von Shark
Registered User
 
Baron Von Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Why? When it's close to being decided, there's no purpose to the discussion, especially if there's a clear cut winner.
There will definately not be a clear cut winner in a few months (which would be around December, thus leaving plenty more hockey to be played).

Baron Von Shark is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 12:18 PM
  #50
Korkki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pori, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
One player who has not been mentioned yet is Jiri Hudler. One of the biggest prospects before the 2002 draft who surprisingly fell really low. He showed a real mature play in 2003 World senior championships. He is a really skilled player.

However, I think that his chances to win the Calder are really minimal, because he won't get enough ice time.

And now it seems that it is time for a second Finn to win the Calder trophy. There are even four candidates! Ruutu will be the biggest favourite but he is quite injury prone (because of his all-giving playing style). Santala got a bigger role by the accident (not a good way though) and his performances last year were really promising. Miettinen is a part of Dallas Finn line, which I think will be a real surprise. Lehtinen is a good mentor for a rookie. Joni Pitkänen would be the fourth Finn to compete the trophy, but as a defender I think he would not be considered. A defender should play really huge season to be nominated before any forward. And especially the point production must be quite equal with forwards. Nobody notices if you haven't let any goals while being on ice if your point are 0+3, but 15+25 are good numbers for rookie defender whose +/- is still -15...

Korkki is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.