HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Daley the next stars zubov, oppinons

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2003, 11:16 AM
lace-em'-up

vCash: 500
Daley the next stars zubov, oppinons

i have seen alot of people just talk wonders about this kid. and he posted great numbers in the stars loss to chicago. and almost every stars fan seems to think erskine should be moved to make way for daley.

what are stars/ non-stars fans on him.

the next zubov,

i know when he was drafted that skating abbility and passing ability were with bowmiester but droped late in the draft due to off-ice problems. and it now seems that all is worked out and he has some huge upsides.

Old
10-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=17042

Old
10-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lace-em'-up
i have seen alot of people just talk wonders about this kid. and he posted great numbers in the stars loss to chicago. and almost every stars fan seems to think erskine should be moved to make way for daley.

what are stars/ non-stars fans on him.

the next zubov,

i know when he was drafted that skating abbility and passing ability were with bowmiester but droped late in the draft due to off-ice problems. and it now seems that all is worked out and he has some huge upsides.
Please, learn to spell. You can't get much credibility if you can't even put together a post. I can understand a typo or two, but how can you spell "ability" two different ways in the same sentence. Come on bud, do a quick look over before you post.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:04 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Please, learn to spell. You can't get much credibility if you can't even put together a post. I can understand a typo or two, but how can you spell "ability" two different ways in the same sentence. Come on bud, do a quick look over before you post.
Hey Kritty, mellow out he's not writing a term paper or anything.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:

shut.

up.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:17 PM
OttMorrow

Actually, i dont know if comparing him to zubov is a good comparison. He is a better skater than zubov and is more physical. I'd compare him to lidstrom with a physical edge.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:19 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow
Actually, i dont know if comparing him to zubov is a good comparison. He is a better skater than zubov and is more physical. I'd compare him to lidstrom with a physical edge.
i dont think you should go there. rafalski with bite works much better.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:27 PM
OttMorrow

that sounds about right

Old
10-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
shut.

up.
Wow, very insightful post. Good to see you can act mature about things. I'm not the only one that has posted about people spelling. At least I did it without tearing the guy apart or calling him names like most people around here do. So I guess this is how you pad your post total. Good for you.

Old
10-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Wow, very insightful post. Good to see you can act mature about things. I'm not the only one that has posted about people spelling. At least I did it without tearing the guy apart or calling him names like most people around here do. So I guess this is how you pad your post total. Good for you.
I think I mildly agree with you, Kritty. However, I don't think this has anything to do with credibility as you eluded in your first post on this thread. It's about respect.

Ok, so this isn't a press release or a novel and we can do with some mistakes here and there. But I do think we're all allowed some consideration. I'm not responding to people who OBVIOUSLY (as was the case here) either make no effort at all or are almost brain dead.

Mistakes here and there are ok. Lack of capitalization, crappy punctuation, pukingly bad spelling and letters thrown at random to form what vaguely looks like a player's name? All that in the same short post?

It simply doesn't deserve a reply.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:42 PM
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
Well Erskine is there to make up for the loss of toughness by Hatcher leaving. Daley has "bite" but not enough. Maybe Zubov could be tradeable now?
Zubov is about as tradeable as Lidstrom or any other exceptionally talented 2-way puck moving defenseman.

I like Daley, he's slick and fast but I wouldn't go so far as to say that he skates as well as Coffey, though.
Excellent offensive instincts, but terrible in his own zone. He might be better as a forward convert.

Old
10-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
Well Erskine is there to make up for the loss of toughness by Hatcher leaving. Daley has "bite" but not enough. Maybe Zubov could be tradeable now?
Why? And take the D out of Dallas? The alles Stars?

Old
10-05-2003, 09:20 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Mistakes here and there are ok. Lack of capitalization, crappy punctuation, pukingly bad spelling and letters thrown at random to form what vaguely looks like a player's name? All that in the same short post?
Also English isn't the first language for everyone that posts here, I'm not sure if it's the case for lace but still.

Old
10-06-2003, 12:17 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Also English isn't the first language for everyone that posts here, I'm not sure if it's the case for lace but still.
I learned years ago not to criticize spelling online. A bunch of us were making fun of one particular poster, with just abysmal spelling, could hardly put two sentences together. We had a group get-together, to put some faces to the online names.

The guy turns up in a wheelchair, and types with a mouthstick.

We felt two inches tall.

Old
10-06-2003, 01:35 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
That is true. But you can distinguish those who make an effort from those who don't by a total lack of capitalization, funky punctuation, etc.

Bouwmeester's name was atrociously butchered too. I don't care if the person comes from Mexico. It's not "bowmeistergr" or any such crap in any country I know of :p

All in all, Kritty's choice of words (the comment on credibility) was misguided but I felt he didn't go overboard by asking for a better effort. It's not something that is REQUIRED but it is important that people know that if they don't make an effort, their posts may be ignored by some of us until the writing gets at a decent level.

I usually mention it to a poster only once, though. If the writing continues to be crappy afterwards I let the person be. It is his/her prerogative to stay here and post. I just mostly ignore them from then on.

Old
10-06-2003, 04:06 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
You know, they say "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

But it IS illegal to sell a book w/ the cover ripped off.

Old
10-06-2003, 04:33 AM
Wyvern

Daley's defense is pretty horrible, personally I'd like to stick him in Utah and have someone help him out with his defensive game for awhile.

Then maybe look at converting him to forward. He would have no chance of making the team as a forward this season though.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:39 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

I don't know how you've chosen to judge him, but Daley has been pretty solid on defense so far in preseason.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
I don't know how you've chosen to judge him, but Daley has been pretty solid on defense so far in preseason.
Was wondering the same thing...

Old
10-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Wyvern

I only saw one game for myself, and he was pretty bad. Almost, but not quite, as bad as Erskine has been.

I think he has been great offensively, but is definately wanting in his own end.

Old
10-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow
Actually, i dont know if comparing him to zubov is a good comparison. He is a better skater than zubov and is more physical.
Seems like a good comparison to me. The skating difference is neglible and both play a similar style. Daley may be a little more physical, but his game reminds me of Zubov in a lot of other ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern
I only saw one game for myself, and he was pretty bad. Almost, but not quite, as bad as Erskine has been.

I think he has been great offensively, but is definately wanting in his own end.
Which game did you see? He was, for all intensive purposes, perfect against the Hawks on Saturday. Made zero noticeable errors IMO and that includes in his own zone.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:21 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Yeah, I believe he had two assists and was +2. This is typical of each of Daley's preseason performances this season. He has scored goals and assists and is always a significant plus player.

The Chicago game was perhaps his weakest defensively from a subjective standpoint, because they played a "pick-up" style against Chicago and there was very little defensive strategy.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Wyvern

I saw the Hawks game.

He had good stats for the game, but I just did not think he was solid at all. He can only get better though, and as it is I think he is a better option than Erskine.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Daley's defense is pretty horrible, personally I'd like to stick him in Utah and have someone help him out with his defensive game for awhile.

Then maybe look at converting him to forward. He would have no chance of making the team as a forward this season though.
Quote:

Well, I would love to know what you base that on. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and just got done re-watching that very same game. Daley was stellar in his own end. The only real poor play he made was not moving Strudwick's screen on Babchuk's goal in the 1st period. Daley didn't see much time on the PK and that's probably why. Even strength there was nothing not to like. He didn't throw bad passes leaving the zone, he was very calm with the puck rather than force things, and he had his man all game. Specifically, he rubbed out the puckcarrier in the neutral zone in the 1st period on a 4v4 situation. Didn't give up the blueline, which was the right thing to do. Second period, he wins the physical battle with Nieminen in his own zone. Puck goes to the point and Daley has Nieminen's stick tied up the whole time, just like he should. Again in the 2nd period, Sweeney is out-of-position and Daley takes Daze off the puck to cover for his partner. In the 3rd, Zhamnov tries to beat Daley one-on-one. Daley takes the body, ties up Zhamnov's stick, and Sweeney swings in easily and skates away with the puck by the boards. Outside of those specific instances, Daley won almost every battle along the boards he was involved in. He cleared the puck when it needed to be cleared and he made solid tape-to-tape passes when a man was open for it. He took hits to make plays as well. I saw zero wrong with Daley in that game, especially upon closer review.

What I did see was Matvichuk screwing up his spacing on Nieminen's goal that was basically a breakaway from the blueline in. I saw Robidas hit Zhamnov, move back towards his net into no man's land, and when the puck comes to Zhamnov (Robidas' man), Robidas had too much ground to makeup to stop the goal.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I didn't see a single thing to indicate that Daley is poor defensively. I've seen poor defensively (Skoula springs to mind) and Daley was not it at all. The kid was calm under pressure, used his skating to beat guys forechecking on him and also to recover the puck, and his decisions were perfect. He dumped it off the boards when it needed to be and made passes when they were there. There was nothing not to like about his game vs. Chicago.

Also, Frugal Gourmet, Daley was only +1. One of his assists came on a PP at the end of the game.

Closed Thread