HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting Goalie

View Poll Results: Who's going to be the Starter?
Osgood 19 36.54%
Legace 33 63.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2005, 09:20 AM
aaronm_88

vCash: 500
Starting Goalie

Who's going to be the starting goalie this season for the Wings..Osgood or Legace?

Old
09-28-2005, 09:24 AM
doublejack

Osgood is hurt. He's got a torn groin. So this is really a non-question at this point - the starter is going to be Legace by default, and his backup will be Howard.

The other day Holland used Osgood and Hasek in the same sentence talking about the injury. Remember that Hasek missed almost the entire 03-04 season because of his. That gets me a little worried about when Osgood will actually be able to play.

Old
09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
What I'm wondering is whether Howard will continue to be the backup in Detroit when MacDonald recovers. I don't think Babcock (or any other coach) will trust a rookie goalie to start very many games, so it might be better for him to be the starter in GR, with MacDonald backing up Legace (assuming he can handle the NHL).

When was the last time there was no goalie controversy in Detroit? '01-'02?

Old
09-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Legace will win the starting job by default, again!

Old
09-28-2005, 12:19 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
What I'm wondering is whether Howard will continue to be the backup in Detroit when MacDonald recovers. I don't think Babcock (or any other coach) will trust a rookie goalie to start very many games, so it might be better for him to be the starter in GR, with MacDonald backing up Legace (assuming he can handle the NHL).

I agree that before training camp started MacDonald was 3rd on the goalie depth chart. But Howard has played so well I think he'll stick with the big club until Osgood returns. Unless he implodes he's earned it.

Old
09-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Zata

When Ozzie gets back I think they'll split time, but until then Manny..

I expect a situation similar to the one in Minnesota, only wiht a good team in front of them..

--West

Old
10-01-2005, 12:37 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:

MacDonald isn't much of a veteran... he's got just as much experience as Howard (none) but Howard is more skilled. The only reason they should call up MacDonald and send Howard down is so that he plays more than a handful games as he needs to play a lot to get better. His biggest season had him play 39 games...

Old
10-01-2005, 01:17 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
I agree that before training camp started MacDonald was 3rd on the goalie depth chart. But Howard has played so well I think he'll stick with the big club until Osgood returns. Unless he implodes he's earned it.
Well..he has to stick with the big club because MacDonald and Osgood are injured, so there aren't any other options.

Old
10-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Djoulahan

Send a message via ICQ to Djoulahan
we'll do as it is possible to do !

(as i didn't know McDo was injured) i would have said that i agree to see McDo backing up Legace!
Howard is great, ok, but still really young for a goalie, he's got his whole carreer in front of him!
Just give McDo a chance, he's been waiting for a while, he was there first lol

...but as injuries have decided to play games with the Red Wings this year ... again ( Nik)
(Injuries should be prohibited, yes !! )

Old
10-02-2005, 11:31 AM
pavel13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
MacDonald isn't much of a veteran... he's got just as much experience as Howard (none) but Howard is more skilled. The only reason they should call up MacDonald and send Howard down is so that he plays more than a handful games as he needs to play a lot to get better. His biggest season had him play 39 games...
I realize that neither of them has NHL experience, but what I was getting at is that because Howard won't get a lot of playing time as Legace's backup, it might be better for him developmentally to be the starter in GR. Playing in college hockey, he hasn't gotten the kind of workload he will as an NHL starter.

Assuming MacDonald can hold his own as a temporary backup in the NHL, I think it would be better for Howard to start in GR as soon as that is possible.

Old
10-02-2005, 09:08 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBoltz56
Well..he has to stick with the big club because MacDonald and Osgood are injured, so there aren't any other options.
Even if MacDonald were healty now Howard would be backing up Legace until Osgood returned. Howard's play has been very strong during the preseason and I'm pretty confident he has passed MacDonald on the depth charts, at least for the time being. Once both Mac and Howard are in GR competing for the starting job there things could change.

Old
10-03-2005, 04:13 AM
interminded

Quote:

I really don't think there's a goalie controversy.
when Osgood was signed, Babcock said that he and Manny will fight for the number 1 spot.
What everyone seems to forget is that Osgood and Legace are good friends and none of them has any interest in having a "controversy" in the crease in Detroit.
We can guess around for days, but we'll just have to see what happens.
maybe Legace will be a strong starter, maybe Osgood will or maybe they will just split times. They don't know yet, so we don't know yet.

The fact that Howard is big talent, doesn't make this situation a controversy.
When Ozzy and Manny are healthy, he's the third sting goalie. Period.

Old
10-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Fryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by interminded
when Osgood was signed, Babcock said that he and Manny will fight for the number 1 spot.
What everyone seems to forget is that Osgood and Legace are good friends and none of them has any interest in having a "controversy" in the crease in Detroit.
maybe Legace will be a strong starter, maybe Osgood will or maybe they will just split times. They don't know yet, so we don't know yet.

right on $$

Old
10-03-2005, 07:43 PM
pavel13

Quote:
Originally Posted by interminded

When I said "controversy" I was speaking more from a fan's point of view. It seems like redwings fans are almost always split over who should be the starter. Even though the Redwings organization and players might see it as clearly one way or the other, there has been a lot of disagreement between fans--moreso than among fans of other teams.

Old
10-04-2005, 01:54 AM
interminded

Quote:
When I said "controversy" I was speaking more from a fan's point of view. It seems like redwings fans are almost always split over who should be the starter. Even though the Redwings organization and players might see it as clearly one way or the other, there has been a lot of disagreement between fans--moreso than among fans of other teams.

You're right, but I guess that's because fans like to discuss stuff that's happening on their team and like to share their opinions.
Especially after this horrible lock-out year where everybody had to wait so ungodly long to watch this season start again...

Closed Thread