HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Interview with Vitaly Kolesnik

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Interview with Vitaly Kolesnik

www.rushockey.com

Old
09-28-2005, 03:34 PM
znarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhander
Do you guys think he's gonna make it to the roster for the season as a backup?

Old
09-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Kaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Kolesnik
And speaking of Detroit, the Red Wings are not as scary, as people say.
Already an Av

Old
09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by znarok
Do you guys think he's gonna make it to the roster for the season as a backup?
IMHO he's way better than budaj

Old
09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Mr. Kolesnik hasent met zetterberg or datsyuk yet

Old
09-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Here's the question - does the fact that he's basically said that he's not willing to go to the minors help him or hurt him?

On the one hand, if you choose him to start this year in the NHL, and he falters, you've got Budaj ready in the minors. Reverse things, and Kolesnik won't be there in Lowell just in case.

On the other hand, the fact that Budaj has put in time here has got to help his cause.

And on the other hand (that's three hands), it's probably a moot point because the Avs were so sure about Budaj that they moved Sauve for basically nothing more than a handshake.

Plus, I'm a Lawson fan anyhow.

Old
09-28-2005, 04:07 PM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No
Here's the question - does the fact that he's basically said that he's not willing to go to the minors help him or hurt him?

On the one hand, if you choose him to start this year in the NHL, and he falters, you've got Budaj ready in the minors. Reverse things, and Kolesnik won't be there in Lowell just in case.

On the other hand, the fact that Budaj has put in time here has got to help his cause.

And on the other hand (that's three hands), it's probably a moot point because the Avs were so sure about Budaj that they moved Sauve for basically nothing more than a handshake.

Plus, I'm a Lawson fan anyhow.
I think it pretty much means he is heading back home. Vitaly has played well in the preseason games but certainly not any better than Peter Budaj. Peter has been groomed by this organization and despite the hickup of giving Sauve a generous tryout as backup last year, Budaj is the heir apparent to Aebischer. Kolesnik did a good job pushing him but Budaj won the job, in my estimation.

Old
09-28-2005, 05:19 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhander
IMHO he's way better than budaj
IMHO, Peter Budaj is way better than Vitaly Kolesnik.

Old
09-28-2005, 05:33 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
With all due respect RIAL you have been pretty biased toward Peter Budaj since Sauve got traded. I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm just saying that no one around here (myself included a bit) has given Vitaly much of a chance.

I mean afterall, he did pretty friggin good against the Detroit Red Wings A-Team (For the most part their A-Team).

I think he needs a whole game before we start saying that Budaj has the backup all locked up. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think that Budaj is spectacular, he has played tremendously so far, but let's give Vitaly a fair chance.

Old
09-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
opinions

Old
09-28-2005, 06:52 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGuy2325
With all due respect RIAL you have been pretty biased toward Peter Budaj since Sauve got traded. I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm just saying that no one around here (myself included a bit) has given Vitaly much of a chance.

I mean afterall, he did pretty friggin good against the Detroit Red Wings A-Team (For the most part their A-Team).

I think he needs a whole game before we start saying that Budaj has the backup all locked up. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think that Budaj is spectacular, he has played tremendously so far, but let's give Vitaly a fair chance.
I think it basically boils down to this...Kolesnick is a great option if management wants to allow Budaj to season another year in the AHL. I don't think there is anyone that thinks he is the future of the AVs...but he could be a tool. A very useful tool at that. In my own humble opinion I'd keep Kolesnick around this year unless we were guaranteeing Budaj 25+ games. Otherwise, let Budaj play a lot in the minors this year and then bring him up in 06-07. But them again...I'm not being paid to be a GM. Take it with a grain of salt.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:38 PM
12# Peter Bondra

I guess Budaj takes the spot and Kolesnik goes back to Europe.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:43 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGuy2325

Actually, I've been "pretty biased towards Peter Budaj" looooooong before Phillipe Sauve was traded, and long before Sauve even made our team as a back-up.

Also, Budaj has looked just as good as Vitaly Kolesnik and the potential is there to be far, far better.

If the Avs screw this up and send Budaj to Lowell, I'll be extremely pissed off.

EDIT: I just noticed your comment about waiting to see if Budaj can play a whole game. He played the entire game against Los Angeles in our Vegas game and was absolutely spectacular. Kings fans even said he was the reason the game was close, and Budaj had several stellar saves.

Last edited by RoyIsALegend*: 09-29-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old
09-29-2005, 10:09 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Actually, I've been "pretty biased towards Peter Budaj" looooooong before Phillipe Sauve was traded, and long before Sauve even made our team as a back-up.

Also, Budaj has looked just as good as Vitaly Kolesnik and the potential is there to be far, far better.

If the Avs screw this up and send Budaj to Lowell, I'll be extremely pissed off.

EDIT: I just noticed your comment about waiting to see if Budaj can play a whole game. He played the entire game against Los Angeles in our Vegas game and was absolutely spectacular. Kings fans even said he was the reason the game was close, and Budaj had several stellar saves.
Yeah, I meant that we need to wait to see how KOLESNIK does in an entire game. I KNOW how Budaj did, he played out of his head. I'm just saying that "Turn about is fair play". Let's give Vitaly his due before we start pronouncing Peter as David's backup...that's all.

PS, I do hope it's Peter that wins btw.

Old
10-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Goalie stats:

#1 David Aebischer Games 4 Saving percentage .926
#31 Peter Budaj Games 2 Saving percentage .927
#20 Vitaly Kolesnik Games 2 Saving percentage .930

According to stats, we might see Kolesnik taking spot on our team.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/teams/...y?&_1:col_1=10

Old
10-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Even ignoring differences of opponent and teammates on the ice, there is no statistically-significant difference in those save percentages.

Old
10-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Melrose'sMullet

Quote:
Even ignoring differences of opponent and teammates on the ice, there is no statistically-significant difference in those save percentages.
That's why the AVs will give Kolesnik 1/4 to 1/3 of the season to see what he's got. They didn't bring him over here to send him back and he didn't disappoint in the preseason. He will play 5-10 games, the Avs will then evaluate whether to keep him or send him home and bring up Budaj. This scenario also favors Budaj as he will be seeing action in Lowell instead of only playing every 4th game or so.

Old
10-02-2005, 05:37 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose'sMullet
That's why the AVs will give Kolesnik 1/4 to 1/3 of the season to see what he's got. They didn't bring him over here to send him back and he didn't disappoint in the preseason. He will play 5-10 games, the Avs will then evaluate whether to keep him or send him home and bring up Budaj. This scenario also favors Budaj as he will be seeing action in Lowell instead of only playing every 4th game or so.
Link?

Sorry, but you're speaking in facts.

Old
10-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
That's why the AVs will give Kolesnik 1/4 to 1/3 of the season to see what he's got.
Actually, my point was that save percentage statistics won't prove anything here.

If I had a house, I'd bet my house that Budaj starts the year in Colorado.

(I lost my house betting that the Avalanche would win the 2000 Cup)

Old
10-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Melrose'sMullet

Quote:
Link?

Sorry, but you're speaking in facts.

Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. I'm just relaying information I have heard from a credible source. He tells me what he thinks based on what he hears, and he hears it right from the top. I haven't talked to him since Thursday so things may have changed.

BTW, we talk about alot of things...this just happened to come up and he gave me his take so I thought I would post it since there is a thread on it. Take it FWIW.

Old
10-03-2005, 04:59 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. I'm just relaying information I have heard from a credible source. He tells me what he thinks based on what he hears, and he hears it right from the top. I haven't talked to him since Thursday so things may have changed.

BTW, we talk about alot of things...this just happened to come up and he gave me his take so I thought I would post it since there is a thread on it. Take it FWIW.
Vitaly Kolesnik has been cut today.

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/new...ils.asp?ID=359

Time to ditch your source.

Old
10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
If I had a house, I'd bet my house that Budaj starts the year in Colorado.
Wish I had that house now.

Old
10-03-2005, 05:57 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
yeah no offense avcat/MM but your sources seem to never pan out, you are always posting that they dont want aebi, that they were after khabi etc. that they were going to get a "legit #1" last year etc. etc. at least when it comes to goalies your sources sucked lol oh well at least i like listening to your rumors

Old
10-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

Count me among the camp who believe Budaj is light years better than Sauve. He sold me when he clearly outplayed Sauve in the last Burgundy-and-White game the two played together. Not a lot to go on, I know, but it was enough for me.

Old
10-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Melrose'sMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
yeah no offense avcat/MM but your sources seem to never pan out, you are always posting that they dont want aebi, that they were after khabi etc. that they were going to get a "legit #1" last year etc. etc. at least when it comes to goalies your sources sucked lol oh well at least i like listening to your rumors

My sources work out often, but I am leary to post certain info. Like I said, Thursday was the last time I spoke with him. How about guys like Sandy Clough and Terry Frei...do they ever get it right? The problem is that things change so rapidly by the time I get the info it may be old. Additionally, you have to keep in mind that my source has no decision making capabilities for the Avs. Folks bounce ideas off of him, and utilize his expertise in other areas. The reason I rarely post what he tells me IS because it changes so often. But so does ever other bit of information the media and anyone else gets ahold of. I have come to beilieve there is no accuracy in sources, only speculation.

I will say this though, he called me the day before Roy retired to give me the info. I have really only posted three bits of info given to me, the situation with Kolesnik (I really felt confident about this one), the preseason info I posted, and Roy's retirement the day before...I'll post more as I haer it and like I said, you can discount it or whatever.

BTW, I don't think it was ever an issue they were not happy with Aebi, they would have made an upgrade if the opportunity presented itself.

One last item...iof the Avs got Kolesnik to agree to a two way deal and he indeed heads to Lowell, then no one saw this coming. That would change the entire dynamic of the arguement right there.

Last edited by Melrose'sMullet: 10-03-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Closed Thread