HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we perform better then Last year??

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 05:40 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Can we perform better then Last year??

I say Yes just because we got rid of some dead wood to replace it with young talented guys, and eventual return of Souray, Last year we had terrible special team unit I hope that changes as we were on bottom of the league when it comes to PK, and I really think Special team made the whole difference from the year before when we made the playoff, if we can kill penalties consistently we should have way better season then last year, and do you guys remember last year we lost atleast 19 games by one goal, we lost most of our points in third period and team was relying most of the time on Theo to save the day, New CJ system seems to be the way Habs should play games, sure we are small but we've got speed and guys to score so taking more shots on goal shouldn't be problem for this guys, Some of you are really giving up but tell me why we were almost in last year, even with such a terrible effort night in night out, so what has changed since?.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:59 AM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
we are small but we've got speed and guys to score so taking more shots on goal shouldn't be problem for this guys,
We have only 2 player who can score, Zednik and Perreault
and Zednik and Audette are the only one who shot a lot on goal

I think that Hossa, Ryder and Bulis can scores a lot in a near future but for now they don't

But with the great passer we have in Ribeiro and Koivu, they will score for sure

Old
10-06-2003, 06:04 AM
Darz

I totally expect the habs to do better this year, for the following reasons:

a) alot of veteran players on this team come into this year with something to prove. Donald Audette, Patrice Brisebois, Jose Theodore should all have better seasons this season, and in the case of Audette, if he doesn't he will be replaced with someone who can.

b) Special teams CAN'T do worse. We hit rock bottom last year, and WILL improve this year.

c) Coaching is going to be better this year than last. CJ has already imo proven to be a better coach than MT and it should show in our point total.

d) 'cause damn it, they just have to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-06-2003, 06:05 AM
Démon Blond

I'm still non convinced that the Habs will be better, good enough to make the playoffs, so I don't get my expectations too high. I'll have my fun by watching our young players and Theo this year... and trying to see the Gainey touch on that team

Old
10-06-2003, 06:24 AM
merlin

We will get another top ten pick this year. Most other teams in the east got better or stayed the same. Aside from Atlanta (Heatley incident)and Pitts. (lost Kovalev), I don't see that the habs have a better roster this year than other eastern teams. The idea is to see which Eastern team has a weaker roster than the habs. Not many if you look at it.

Our top players are injury prone. What are our chances of winning the opener without Koivu and Zed? We are going to see this all year.

Look out for Buffalo, if you want to talk future, look at their roster. They have more hot prospects than the habs and they are proven NHLers whereas our prospects need another 2 years.

I think that we are good for a 12th or 13th position. Could even go to 14th in the east.

I am a habs fan, just realistic that is all.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Howie Morenz

It could be a long year but will other teams take us a little too lightly? With a stingier D,less shots on goal and maybe a few youngsters stepping to the forefront we could catch a few teams off guard.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:37 AM
FTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
We will get another top ten pick this year. Most other teams in the east got better or stayed the same. Aside from Atlanta (Heatley incident)and Pitts. (lost Kovalev), I don't see that the habs have a better roster this year than other eastern teams. The idea is to see which Eastern team has a weaker roster than the habs. Not many if you look at it.

Our top players are injury prone. What are our chances of winning the opener without Koivu and Zed? We are going to see this all year.

Look out for Buffalo, if you want to talk future, look at their roster. They have more hot prospects than the habs and they are proven NHLers whereas our prospects need another 2 years.

I think that we are good for a 12th or 13th position. Could even go to 14th in the east.

I am a habs fan, just realistic that is all.
Our top player is José Théodore and he is not injury prone. The name of the game is goaltending....

Old
10-06-2003, 07:17 AM
Corey

Of course the Habs can play better, but even if they do it does not necessarily mean they will finish in the playoffs. The only playoff team from last year that might be weaker is Washington. On the other hand, the rangers, who finished ahead of the Habs last year, should improve a great deal with their personnel upgrades and the replacement of the incompetent Bryan Trottier. Buffalo has also improved and will be a real rival to the Habs.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:22 AM
HABitude

What have we lost from last year's roster?
Jeff Hackett, Gilmour, Petrov, Czerkawsky, Odjick and McKay.

I don't want any of those back with the CH. Except maybe, I say maybe: Oleg Petrov. He is doing fine in Geneva, the fans there loves him, he's a superstar in this euro league. Stay there Oleg, it's better for you ... and us.

What have we more than last year?
Sunsdtrom, Garon, Ryder, Dwyer, Bégin, Langdon, Ward, Komisarek.
We can add Ribeiro and Hossa who will both have more ice time.

So the team compare to last year is not worse, not really better. Still waiting to have talented prospects (adapted to AHL/NHL) joining the big team (Perezhogin, Higgins and Kastsitsyn)

In defence this is where we have improved the most. because Souray is totally recoved from injury and he has played very well in pre-season games. Dikhuis and Traverse are gone, this will hepl a lot. Souray and Bouillon are much better at left D, thanks Habs management to solidify that weakness. In general, the D is not that strong but not that weak also. It is one of the most reliable of the league (I'll say about top 12th of the league).

In the goals we are kindda strong too. Theodore can prove he is still brillant, and Garon is obviously a solid 2nd goalie.

But the problem now is that the team will not score many goals. On the good side, we are stronger among the boards and corners than last year. We still miss NHL proven scorers. The only interrogation point in scoring is the Ribeiro-Hossa pair. If these 2 are clicking together, we may have interresting surprises.

And don't forget Ryder. He may have some tricks in his pocket.

Just an optimistic post.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:32 AM
HABitude

To answer the question “Can we perform better then Last year??”
My answer: YES!!

But we can take a playoff spot like between 6th and 8th at the most optimistic.
More realistic, we can fight a playoff spot till the end and not make it, finishing 9th or 10th.

Old
10-06-2003, 07:59 AM
mcphee

If we finish between 6-10 and are in the hunt,
if Ward and Ryder develop into solid 2 way players
if one of Ribeiro,Hossa,Higgins, Perezhogin make enough of a splash that we have a new offensive threat
if Koimisarek continues to improve
if Markov continues to improve
if Souray is really a guy who commands respect in our end
if Theo ranges from solid to spectacular
if Hainsey is considered an NHL defenseman by the end of the year

I'll be satisfied. i'm a bit of a greedy ******* though.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:20 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If we finish between 6-10 and are in the hunt,
if Ward and Ryder develop into solid 2 way players
if one of Ribeiro,Hossa,Higgins, Perezhogin make enough of a splash that we have a new offensive threat
if Koimisarek continues to improve
if Markov continues to improve
if Souray is really a guy who commands respect in our end
if Theo ranges from solid to spectacular
if Hainsey is considered an NHL defenseman by the end of the year

I'll be satisfied. i'm a bit of a greedy ******* though.
... a lot of “if”.

By the way, have you seen the classic movie “If” with Malcolm McDowell, made in 1968?

Old
10-06-2003, 08:28 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
... a lot of “if”.

By the way, have you seen the classic movie “If” with Malcolm McDowell, made in 1968?
Actually no, I don't know of it, and I'm usually ok on old movies.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:28 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
One thing is for sure, this habs team will be more exciting to watch than last year.....we have a really good chance to see Ward and Ryder play.....guys we did not play for an entire season last year.....Getting rid of dead wood and buying out Chow,McKay and releasing Traverse and Dykhuis was also excellent.....great to see that finally the habs are a pretty tough team all of a sudden with the addition of Langdon and Begin

Old
10-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I think the habs should be able to do better than last year. It all really comes down to what sort of a season Theo has. If he plays the way he did in his Vezina/Hart season we have a chance to make the playoffs if he plays the way he did last season we could very well be fighting for 13-14 or even 15th in the east. I think Theodore will have a very good season maybe not great but it should be good enough to keep the habs in a respectable position.
Also like a few others mentioned we dropped alot of crap ie:McKay, Czerkawski, Traverse, Dykhuis, for more youth which may not be just as talented yet but will be funner to watch. I`m just looking forward to seeing what Ward, Ryder, Komi, Hainsey, Hossa and possibly Higgins and Perezhogin can do if/when they play.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:42 AM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
I say Yes just because we got rid of some dead wood to replace it with young talented guys, and eventual return of Souray, New CJ system seems to be the way Habs should play games, Some of you are really giving up but tell me why we were almost in last year, even with such a terrible effort night in night out, so what has changed since?.
Yes will be my answer!

The Key to do better than last year, Team work, if every body put it TOGETHER we shoul be able to do better!

I don't agree with the you when you said that we replace deadwood with youngsters... who's going to be new on the team this year ... Ryder and... Ryder (ward, Ribeiro and hossa were alreeady there last year) Komi should go back to Hamilton,...

Of course, if you compare only the age, we are younger but we still have some deadwood (perreault, dackell and juneau)

For those who say that we have nobody that can scroes some goals except for Zed and "caught" Perreault "caught"... let the chance to the youngster...

Here's my last wishes for this year (if they all come true, everything should be alright)
I hope that Hossa will emerge,
I hope that Ribs will survive the cheking game
I hope that our new cheking line (Bégin, Langdon and Dwyer/Ward) can play hockey

What WILL be better than last year!
our defense and our goalie will be better!

Old
10-06-2003, 09:07 AM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
One thing is for sure, this habs team will be more exciting to watch than last year.....we have a really good chance to see Ward and Ryder play.....guys we did not play for an entire season last year.....Getting rid of dead wood and buying out Chow,McKay and releasing Traverse and Dykhuis was also excellent.....great to see that finally the habs are a pretty tough team all of a sudden with the addition of Langdon and Begin
“...we have a really good chance to see Ward and Ryder play..”
- Yeah I want to watch them play too but I don't have high expectation about them. Ward doesn't skate like a 1rst or 2nd line NHL winger. He might be a solid 3rd or 4th line winger who plays a bang the defence corridor but not more, really.
Ryder is better, he can be good enough for 1rst, 2nd or 3rd line but he is not a superstar. If he comes out and be like a young Mike Keane with a scoring touch, it will be the biggest happy surprise of the year.

“great to see that finally the habs are a pretty tough team all of a sudden with the addition of Langdon and Begin”
-Then, also, don't jump at the curtains, they were acquired by waivers, they will not score many goals ...or Buffalo and Vancouver were really bad in evaluating their own players. They might not play all calendar games, not many ice time, so they will have a 4rth line ice time with limited impact on the season.
If Langdon K-O Tie Domi and some other goons of East conference; it's a different story. YEAHHH !!!
Other than that, don't expect too much from these two guys.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:35 AM
GilleZ

I have no idea if were gonna do better this year. But I dont think that the standing are very important this year. I think its the year where the attitude of the team must change.

Its finish the time that everybody could interfere with our goaltender or push us everywhere. We will make a stand and defand our players. Where not gonna be the takers this year, were gonna give. No more Juneau, Dackell playing 25min a games where we get our bottom kicked hard. Our defance will be meaner, and guys like Hossa, Kilger, Zednick, Bulis, Ward, Ryder, Langdon, Dwyer, Begin will have to defand each other. No more free rides. We must defand guys like Koivu, Rebierro and Brisebois, they will put the points on the board, but they need protection.

Just a tought, hehe.

Go Habs Go

Old
10-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Capitano

One thing is for sure, we WILL be a lot more consistent this year than we were last year. Last year we had way too many third period breakdowns and under this new defensive system, I hope to see less and less of those breakdowns. If we can stay relatively healthy, then I could see us squeaking into the playoffs. If we don't make it though, I hope CJ plays the kids and gives them a chance to shine.

Cap

Closed Thread