HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mayday

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2005, 02:51 PM
lennie

vCash: 500
Mayday

Good to see you really gave it to May last night

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3067885

Old
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
chiavsfan

You obviously didn't read the whole article

Old
09-28-2005, 06:07 PM
lennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan
You obviously didn't read the whole article
Actually, I did

Old
09-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Having listened to the game last night, the booing was the loudest thing I heard from the crowd all night and there were several "Red Wings Suck" chants that were audible. May got some cheers last night, but it was nothing compaired to the razzing and sugesting he turned a corner with the fans is premature at best. The regualr season and actualy having his name spoken over the pa still await.

Old
09-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Commander Enigma

May probably won over some of the fans at the game with his hits and hard play, but most fans couldn't see the game. He's got to continue playing like that for a while, and the fans will have no tolerance if he makes any mistakes.

Old
09-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Golden Foppa

He played with a ton of energy and had several very good clean hits along the boards. I think the general consensus in the building (I was at the game) was that he had turned the corner. I think a lot of fans were happy with what they saw.

Old
09-28-2005, 09:09 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

The boo-birds need to move on. The team has...

Go Avs!

Old
09-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

That is by far the most appropriate for for registering our disapproval for the move.

As far as May turning any corner like just about anything you can base little on preseason. The real test is going to be the three games versus Vancouver at the end of the month.

So lennie you'll have to wait until then to brand the Avs fanbase as hypocrites. You'll have to stick to toune-clucking about how classless it is to boo, one of our own to boot!

Old
09-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

What if Brad May challenges Berstoogie to a fight and knocks him out with one punch ?

Old
09-28-2005, 09:42 PM
lennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
That is by far the most appropriate for for registering our disapproval for the move.

As far as May turning any corner like just about anything you can base little on preseason. The real test is going to be the three games versus Vancouver at the end of the month.

So lennie you'll have to wait until then to brand the Avs fanbase as hypocrites. You'll have to stick to toune-clucking about how classless it is to boo, one of our own to boot!
My post was not meant to be anything other than what it was. A tongue in cheek comment.

I wasn't branding Avs fans as anything.

Old
09-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
What if Brad May challenges Berstoogie to a fight and knocks him out with one punch ?
Then he's greater than Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg combined.

Old
09-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Nab77

Quote:
Probably not gonna happen, they are very close friends.

Old
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab77
Probably not gonna happen, they are very close friends.
Absolutely irrelevant in the workplace.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
incawg

Quote:
Brad May hasn't won a fight in about 7 years.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:56 AM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
Brad May hasn't won a fight in about 7 years.
I recall him beating the crap out of Kurt Sauer on that infamous night.

Old
09-29-2005, 11:29 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
I recall him beating the crap out of Kurt Sauer on that infamous night.
and trying to beat up abby as well with some absolutely disgraceful taunting after he scored. that was and is my problem with him being here. i dont care at all about what he said prior to the game, it was the way he acted that night and imo the role those actions played in turning the game into a clown show with the embarrassing ending. has he apologized for his behavior THAT night?

i always loved him for the mayday goal...i grew up a bruins hater. he showed a ton of guts his whole career, but watching him dance like a chimp in front of abby after scoring in a game his team was getting humiliated in changed the way i look at the guy. i cant get it out of my head and forget about it. id never seen that before.

Old
09-29-2005, 12:30 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
but watching him dance like a chimp in front of abby after scoring in a game his team was getting humiliated in changed the way i look at the guy. i cant get it out of my head and forget about it.
regardless, Pierre Lacroix has. PL wouldn't have signed May if he had any inkling that it would stir up bad feelings in the dressing room. that should be good enough for Avs fans to accept the fact that Brad May is here to help THIS team now.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
regardless, Pierre Lacroix has. PL wouldn't have signed May if he had any inkling that it would stir up bad feelings in the dressing room. that should be good enough for Avs fans to accept the fact that Brad May is here to help THIS team now.
That's the thing, we get a choice in the matter. If the fans pay for a ticket with their own money, they can boo whoever the hell they want. As a fellow fan you can question the effect and heck, even their loyalty (if you think it affects the team), but the bottom line is, we have a right to be upset over the signing. It's not something that some of us will just 'get over' like a bad headache.

Old
09-30-2005, 12:05 AM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
That's the thing, we get a choice in the matter. If the fans pay for a ticket with their own money, they can boo whoever the hell they want. As a fellow fan you can question the effect and heck, even their loyalty (if you think it affects the team), but the bottom line is, we have a right to be upset over the signing. It's not something that some of us will just 'get over' like a bad headache.
true, all of it. but i guess my question is, what for? is booing a current team member going to either: a) undo his past actions against your team, or b) show the team/organization that they have your support?

i appreciate everyones feelings of negativity towards May, but the bottom line is, if its YOUR money you're spending the ticket on, why waste your hard-earned cash booing one of YOUR team's players? just can't wrap my head around that one.

Old
09-30-2005, 01:05 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

What I hate are the people - and I saw them at training camp and at the B&W scrimmage - who boo May, and then look around at the rest of the crowd with a smirk on their faces, as if to say "Look how clever I am! Look at me!"

You can boo May if you want - that's your prerogative. But it's not even remotely clever.

Old
09-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

It doesn't look like Avs fans are going to let this go...the Avalanche might have to make a move here. I doubt they will, but this can't continue.

Old
09-30-2005, 01:44 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

As an outsider (not a Nucks fan, cheered for the Avs in the Bourque year(s)) this is truly a unique thing to observe. I agree with the notion that the paying fans can express whatever they want. I think it will all die down eventually with a big fight win or a goal. Unfortunately for May neither one of those come too often these days. Tough situation. I don't feel for May though...I always thought he was kind of a punk he deserves to have to earn the respect of the Avs fans by doing more than just throwing on the jersey.

Old
09-30-2005, 02:38 AM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
but watching him dance like a chimp in front of abby after scoring in a game his team was getting humiliated in changed the way i look at the guy. i cant get it out of my head and forget about it. id never seen that before.
Not sure if it makes any difference, but the reason for May pulling those antics was because of the first goal. Trevor Linden got an assist on the first one, and it was the record-breaking point for the Canucks all-time leading scorer. When May went back to retrieve the puck for Linden, Aebischer swung his stick at him and pushed May away with his blocker, refusing to let him take the puck. The ref intervened and gave the puck to May, who handed it Linden. On the second goal May was clearly still upset with Aebischer, and taunted him mercilessly. Not a wise or mature move at all, but that is the reason for it.

Old
09-30-2005, 05:27 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Not sure if it makes any difference, but the reason for May pulling those antics was because of the first goal. Trevor Linden got an assist on the first one, and it was the record-breaking point for the Canucks all-time leading scorer. When May went back to retrieve the puck for Linden, Aebischer swung his stick at him and pushed May away with his blocker, refusing to let him take the puck. The ref intervened and gave the puck to May, who handed it Linden. On the second goal May was clearly still upset with Aebischer, and taunted him mercilessly. Not a wise or mature move at all, but that is the reason for it.
I'm willing to bet there was something more to it, than Abei just not wanting to let him get Linden's puck. That alone just doesn't make sense, and doesn't seem consistent with Abei's character.

Old
09-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
true, all of it. but i guess my question is, what for? is booing a current team member going to either: a) undo his past actions against your team, or b) show the team/organization that they have your support?

i appreciate everyones feelings of negativity towards May, but the bottom line is, if its YOUR money you're spending the ticket on, why waste your hard-earned cash booing one of YOUR team's players? just can't wrap my head around that one.
People boo their own players all the time; eg. when a team has a lackluster powerplay that doesn't even put a shot on goal.

My thought is, apparently Lacroix thinks there was no problem with signing May. By booing, the customer shows their dissatisfaction with the team's decision to sign him. It's wishful thinking, but if the booing becomes enough of an issue, it'll force Lacroix to somehow deal with May. Laperriere22 said it succinctly when he stated that guys like May are a dime a dozen, so why essentially risk this kind of PR disaster by bringing May in and making the situation with the team so uncertain? It's a move that IMO just can't go unpunished--and the only way of punishing Lacroix (and unfortunately the team too) is for the fans to show their disapproval with the move.

Closed Thread