HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 'Eating My Words' thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2005, 11:17 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

vCash: 500
The 'Eating My Words' thread

Now that the roster is (for the most part) pretty much set, I will recant some of my opinions from previous months:

-- Miller can be a decent starter in the NHL and is not a career AHLer
-- Noronen is not our best goaltender
-- Connolly can make this team
-- Hecht is not a lock for first line LW (though Vanek makes me happy to recant that one -- and it's not a dig on Hecht in any way, shape or form)
-- Afinogenov probably won't translate his RSL success into becoming a finisher in the NHL.
-- Campbell is still a waste of skin

Old
09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Takeo

Funny, I still have no clue who our best goaltender is.

Old
09-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Fan-of-#9

Ok my turn

Biron may not provide us with best chance at winning games this season.
Tallinder is not our 5th or 6th defenseman.
Drury needs to become more of an impact player for us on the ice when it counts and I'd take Datsyuk over him at this point.
Mair is not a lock for the 4th line.

I maintain the same sentiments in regards to:

Noronen is not the solution for our goaltending controversy.
Mckee is very important to our defense.
Dumont is overrated on our board.

That's all I've got so far.

Old
09-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Digable5

I was right on everything.

Old
09-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Dumont is overrated on our board.
I don't think so, but ****, this ****in guy needs to start showing up to training camp in shape.

Old
09-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
-- Noronen is not our best goaltender
The Noronen's supporters continually claim he never got a fair chance. Is scrapping the rotation because he had one bad preseason game really giving him a fair chance? He should have got the start against the Leafs and been given a chance to redeem himself. At least he could have the opportuntity to prove he could be a viable backup. Was Sabres management afraid he'd stand on his head and make their decision more difficult? I've never considered Noronen the Sabres best goalie and have maintained from the outset that he would be the one to go. It appears that by deviating from their stated plan of rotating the goalies that all the Sabres are doing is greasing the skids. One bad game and Noronen's toast. It's the same thing they did to Miller in 2003-04 and it's probably the same thing they're going to do to Miller this season.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
The Noronen's supporters continually claim he never got a fair chance. Is scrapping the rotation because he had one bad preseason game really giving him a fair chance? He should have got the start against the Leafs and been given a chance to redeem himself. At least he could have the opportuntity to prove he could be a viable backup. Was Sabres management afraid he'd stand on his head and make their decision more difficult? I've never considered Noronen the Sabres best goalie and have maintained from the outset that he would be the one to go. It appears that by deviating from their stated plan of rotating the goalies that all the Sabres are doing is greasing the skids. One bad game and Noronen's toast. It's the same thing they did to Miller in 2003-04 and it's probably the same thing they're going to do to Miller this season.
Do you really believe he's not been given a chance? One bad game and he's done? I don't think so. He's been in the system how long now? He's had plenty of training camps and NHL games to prove himself. I highly doubt that Ruff or Regier/Quinn are making their decisions solely based on this pre-season.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I am one who thinks Noronen was never given a fair chance. But I'm beyond caring about it anymore. I would've liked to see a Noronen/Miller split this year. but at this point im well over that idea. Im ready for the Miller era.

The sooner Miller becomes the man the sooner rebuilding is over.

Mika has a ton of talent, and it will be showcased somewhere else, someday.

Old
09-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
Do you really believe he's not been given a chance? One bad game and he's done?
He hasn't been given a fair chance within the definition of how the Sabres explained they would conduct the goaltending competition before camp.

Quote:
I don't think so. He's been in the system how long now? He's had plenty of training camps and NHL games to prove himself. I highly doubt that Ruff or Regier/Quinn are making their decisions solely based on this pre-season.
That's irrelevant. Management went to great pains to say the competition was wide open and they would rotate the 3 goalies allowing them to play full games for the preseason. As soon as Noronen had a bad game they changed the rules. If Miller or Biron got shelled in their first start of the preseason, I find it hard to believe either one would have been yanked from the rotation.

I would have tried to trade Noronen before camp even begun based on his past history. He's not my favorite. He could turn out to be a great goalie, but not with the Sabres. At best he's a backup in Buffalo. As far as I'm concerned his destiny was pre-ordained and this is just a charade the Sabres went through to appear fair and they even messed that up by not giving Mika his next scheduled start.

Old
09-29-2005, 06:27 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Ok my turn

Tallinder is not our 5th or 6th defenseman.
Do you mean this in a good way, or a bad way? I hope good, because IMO Tallinder's had a great preseason and he could have a breakout year.

Old
09-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Digable5

Buffaloed---I understand your feelings and I don't find not starting Mika in the scheduled preseason rotation fair. However, I feel that he was already on the outs, but the team gave him a chance to challenge in camp. He obviously didn't fair well in camp and blew his preseason game. Therefore, its likely they made their decision of who to keep after that and decided to use the rest of the games to choose a starter between Biron and Miller. I could be way off, but that's the way I look at it. Maybe they are just keeping Mika around right now to try and trade him or as insurance in case Biron or Miller get injured before final cuts are made.

Old
09-30-2005, 09:10 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
Do you mean this in a good way, or a bad way? I hope good, because IMO Tallinder's had a great preseason and he could have a breakout year.
Definetly in a good way. I always thought he was good for us a the 5/6 guy but he's impressed me so much that I think he will emerge a legitement Top 4 defender this season. Him and Gaustad are the brightest spots for me so far in camp and preseason.

Old
09-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Kruschiki

I think management discovered that 6 or 7 preseason games are not enough time to evaluate 3 goalies. Noronen, being the perennial red-headed step child, is paying the price. Though I really do believe he is 3rd on the depth charts.

The other possibility is that they are taking advantage of his situation to try and pass him through waivers so we have an insurance policy in Rochester while they use October to evaluate Miller.

Closed Thread