HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 cuts almost certain

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
4 cuts almost certain

Bartovic, Janik, Campbell, and a goalie....cut em loose

send Roy down to start the season in Rochester, if for no other reason because we can.

Vanek-Briere-Dumont
Hecht-Drury-Grier
Pyatt-Connolly-Afinogenov
Kotalik-Gaustad-Mair
xPeters,Pominville

Kalinin-Numminen
Mckee-Lydman
Tallinder-Jillson
xFitzpatrick

Miller/??????

Old
09-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Bartovic, Janik, Campbell, and a goalie....cut em loose

send Roy down to start the season in Rochester, if for no other reason because we can.

Vanek-Briere-Dumont
Hecht-Drury-Grier
Pyatt-Connolly-Afinogenov
Kotalik-Gaustad-Mair
xPeters,Pominville

Kalinin-Numminen
Mckee-Lydman
Tallinder-Jillson
xFitzpatrick

Miller/??????
That looks pretty good to me although I'm not sure about the 3rd and 4th lines...Kotalik on the 4th could be a problem, and the PAC line will need to play both ways or we're in trouble.

Old
09-29-2005, 06:23 AM
Rowley Birkin

Biron has to go.

swap around Pyatt and Kotalik, if we have to keep Quiet around, i'd rather it be down on the 4th. Replace Connolly with Roy, and i pretty much agree. Kotalik-Roy-Afinogenov appeals to me far more than Pyatt-Connolly-Afinogenov.

i'm glad that you've 'seen the light' as far as Campbell goes. he sucks and he always will do.

Old
09-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Fan-of-#9

It's sad for me to say, but at this point, I don't think Roy makes the team. IMO, he will be the first call-up when a player goes down during the season.

The defense looks good, especially if Tallinder continues his strong play. I don't have a problem with Pyatt-Gaustad-Mair as the 4th line, but at this point is Mair a lock? I don't think so. Either way I want Pyatt-Gaustad to get more than 6-8 mins per game.

Old
09-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
It's sad for me to say, but at this point, I don't think Roy makes the team. IMO, he will be the first call-up when a player goes down during the season.

The defense looks good, especially if Tallinder continues his strong play. I don't have a problem with Pyatt-Gaustad-Mair as the 4th line, but at this point is Mair a lock? I don't think so. Either way I want Pyatt-Gaustad to get more than 6-8 mins per game.
With PK duties for both, I think they should be assured of getting more than 6-8 minutes per game.

And I also see Roy being assigned. A dog doesn't change it's spots and Regier isn't going to just let assets go for less than he believes that asset is worth -- Roy assigned allows him to work something out trade-wise. Granted, that wont make Roy all that happy, though at this point I don't see that he's not been better than Connolly at centre. *shrug*

Fitzie-Campbell is a toss-up for waivers for me. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them tapped for assignment. Fitzie has struggled but is also a rightie and has been a Ruff favorite. Campbell has the skills for a more open game, but he hasn't produced in pre-season AND has his struggles handling his check in any manner in his own zone. They remain equal IMO, so it comes down to personal personnel preferences and what the "brain trust" thinks is defining quality.

And yes, Barto goes, to me that's a given.

09-29-2005, 07:59 AM
ajsonor

What's Campbell's +/- so far. I know he doesn't have any points.

Old
09-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
With PK duties for both, I think they should be assured of getting more than 6-8 minutes per game.

And I also see Roy being assigned. A dog doesn't change it's spots and Regier isn't going to just let assets go for less than he believes that asset is worth -- Roy assigned allows him to work something out trade-wise. Granted, that wont make Roy all that happy, though at this point I don't see that he's not been better than Connolly at centre. *shrug*

Fitzie-Campbell is a toss-up for waivers for me. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them tapped for assignment. Fitzie has struggled but is also a rightie and has been a Ruff favorite. Campbell has the skills for a more open game, but he hasn't produced in pre-season AND has his struggles handling his check in any manner in his own zone. They remain equal IMO, so it comes down to personal personnel preferences and what the "brain trust" thinks is defining quality.

And yes, Barto goes, to me that's a given.
So I guess after a good night sleep things have become a little more clear for us all. In terms of Campbell, waive him for all I care, it won't bother me a bit to see him get bumped off the puck with some other team in the league. Nathan Perrott was abusing him the other night vs. Toronto.

The D is set IMO. Kalinin, Numminen, Lydman, Tallinder, Mckee, and Jillson and Fitz splitting the #6 spot. That is just fine.

The toughest thing will be determining what the 3rd line will be, once that is figured out, I think everything else will fall into place. At this point I think there is a possibility that even Grier could play on the 3rd line with Connolly. Kotalik, Pominville or even Max may have a chance to play with Drury and Hecht on the 2nd line IMO.

Old
09-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
Gaustad is a beast, i hope he centers the 4th line. Last nite was one of the first times i saw him play and i loved every second of it, and not cuz it was the first professional hockey game ive seen in over a year.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
Gaustad is a beast, i hope he centers the 4th line. Last nite was one of the first times i saw him play and i loved every second of it, and not cuz it was the first professional hockey game ive seen in over a year.
Same here, I've seen a few Rochester games but the first time I really paid attention to him play was vs. the Laughs...and he really got under Sundin's skin on one shift, put him on his derriere 2X in the same shift. Sundin is not an easy fellow to knock down.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Takeo

What I think will happen is different from what I want to happen. I think Bartovic, Janik, and Campbell will be cut or reassigned, Roy will be sent to Rochester, and either Biron or Noronen will be traded for a pick. I'm anticipating a third line of Kotalik-Connolly-Afinogenov with Pominville and Peters the healthy scratches. Miller as the starter. Roy will make his way back to Buffalo by mid-season and an excess forward could be dealt at the deadline.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
What I think will happen is different from what I want to happen. I think Bartovic, Janik, and Campbell will be cut or reassigned, Roy will be sent to Rochester, and either Biron or Noronen will be traded for a pick. I'm anticipating a third line of Kotalik-Connolly-Afinogenov with Pominville and Peters the healthy scratches. Miller as the starter. Roy will make his way back to Buffalo by mid-season and an excess forward could be dealt at the deadline.
This seems to be the conventional wisdom that I've read several places.

This really does not address the sabres defensive deficiency.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
This really does not address the sabres defensive deficiency.
I think they're just going with what they have, hoping that mobility is more valuable than toughness on the backend in the new NHL (I'm not so sure). It's tough to gauge the overall effectiveness of the unit with guys being shuffled around for exhibition games. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old
09-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Aren't their any mobile bad-***** in the leagure?

Old
09-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
Aren't their any mobile bad-***** in the leagure?
Yup. They are called #1 defensemen.

Old
09-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9

I have to agree, why is everyone so enamored with Mair here. Hes an OK player, but definitely replacable.

Old
09-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter
I have to agree, why is everyone so enamored with Mair here. Hes an OK player, but definitely replacable.
I'm not enamored with him. But Ruff seems to be. That's what counts and I think many of these posts reflect that.

Old
09-29-2005, 11:22 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Dale Hunter
... but not replaceable by Roy. Without Mair, who's going to supply the sandpaper or muscle on this team? Grier can't do all of it. The newly refurbished Pyatt of the last couple of games? Max can annoy people, but can he scrap? No.

Moving or cutting Mair means that Peters dresses every game -- who would you rather have as a regular -- Peters or Mair?

Old
09-29-2005, 11:27 AM
MLH

Roy sticks, Peters is gone. If we need a goon, someone will mysteriously get hurt (any rules that I should know about?) and McMorrow will be called up. Every indication I've got from the team is that they're putting all their eggs into the "new NHL" basket and I don't think they're going to keep a goon around. Regeir has repeatedly and publicly mentioned Roy as one of the players that he envisions will replace Miro's scoring. I can't see him in Rochester.

Old
09-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
Every indication I've got from the team is that they're putting all their eggs into the "new NHL" basket
Very naive IMHO.

Old
09-29-2005, 11:51 AM
MLH

Quote:
Very naive IMHO.
Parhaps. It's a risk-reward situation. If by some miracle it sticks, one would think we're better suited than other teams. Regardless, I'll be shocked if Roy doesn't make the team.

Old
09-29-2005, 01:18 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Biron has to go.

swap around Pyatt and Kotalik, if we have to keep Quiet around, i'd rather it be down on the 4th. Replace Connolly with Roy, and i pretty much agree. Kotalik-Roy-Afinogenov appeals to me far more than Pyatt-Connolly-Afinogenov.

i'm glad that you've 'seen the light' as far as Campbell goes. he sucks and he always will do.
Ding ding. I agree 110% with you on this.

Also, I'd get rid of Peters and let Gaustad do the goon duties.

Old
09-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Biron has to go.

Kotalik belongs on the 4th line. he'll need to work his way off the way Dumont did last year. Kotalik has not impressed in the preseason... for someone who's tagged "the best shot on the team", he sure hasn't lived up to it. he leads the sabres in shots in the preseason and has netted just 1 point... on the PP. his shooting percentage is somewhere around 4%. thats horrible for a goalscorer. Pyatt fits on the 3rd line. He has the speed to play with Timmy and Max. His size compliments their game. He's got a defensive side to his game. and he's shown some new grit and toughness in the preseason. Pyatt's done something. What has Kotalik done so far?

I think you should see the light about Roy. He's the only one who can be sent down without having to clear waivers. Darcy is way to patient to have to lose someone for nothing when he can stash Roy in Rochester for a few weeks.

i dont want to put a lot of stock into +/- ratings in the preseason. but Pyatt and Gaustad lead the forwards with +2 ratings. Mckee and Campbell are also +2 and the only player with a better rating is Fitzpatrick, blwoing everyone else away somehow with a +5.

Old
09-29-2005, 01:34 PM
MLH

Quote:
Kotalik belongs on the 4th line. he'll need to work his way off the way Dumont did last year. Kotalik has not impressed in the preseason... for someone who's tagged "the best shot on the team", he sure hasn't lived up to it. he leads the sabres in shots in the preseason and has netted just 1 point... on the PP. his shooting percentage is somewhere around 4%. thats horrible for a goalscorer. Pyatt fits on the 3rd line. He has the speed to play with Timmy and Max. His size compliments their game. He's got a defensive side to his game. and he's shown some new grit and toughness in the preseason. Pyatt's done something. What has Kotalik done so far?
He was the best Sabre forward outside of Vanek/Briere last night. He made one great individual play beating everyone and hit the post. He went through their defense in the third and hit the post again with a good snapshot. He had a nice one-timer that Hasek just got a toe on. He made a great pass to Grier allowing Mike to walk in on Hasek alone. He's good along the boards and will throw his weight around. If he plays like he did last night he'll get 25 goals this year. How many guys on our team have scored 20 before? He's played two years and has close to 40 goals. That's a pretty valued commodity on our team.

I know you don't realize this, but sometimes you have to look past the box score.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
He was the best Sabre forward outside of Vanek/Briere last night. He made one great individual play beating everyone and hit the post. He went through their defense in the third and hit the post again with a good snapshot. He had a nice one-timer that Hasek just got a toe on. He made a great pass to Grier allowing Mike to walk in on Hasek alone. He's good along the boards and will throw his weight around. If he plays like he did last night he'll get 25 goals this year. How many guys on our team have scored 20 before? He's played two years and has close to 40 goals. That's a pretty valued commodity on our team.

I know you don't realize this, but sometimes you have to look past the box score.
How many guys have scored 20 goals before? you're kidding right? Briere, Drury, Dumont, Afinogenov, Grier, and i'll throw Hecht and Vanek in their even though they never scored 20. Kotalik turns 27 in december. and throughout his entire professional career from the czech league to the NHL he has netted one 20 goal year. i dont think he's a valued commodity. I think the sabres were the 10th highest scoring team in the league and Kotalik contributed 14 goals. thats easily replaceable. Even Pyatt managed 14 goals in 02-03 and he never saw PP time.

Unfortunately I just moved and i have not gotten my Center Ice package yet. (im broke, its depressing). but up until this preseason I have had Center Ice and seen most games Kotalik has played in a Sabres sweater. I know Kotaliks game. I have listened to all the game broadcasts that have been available in the preseason. Obviously some who have seen the game think Kotalik has played well. and i acknowledge that. Hopefully it brings his trade value up. On my roster he just doesn't fit.

So please don't tell me what I don't realize.

Old
09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
MLH

Quote:
How many guys have scored 20 goals before? you're kidding right? Briere, Drury, Dumont, Afinogenov, Grier, and i'll throw Hecht and Vanek in their even though they never scored 20. Kotalik turns 27 in december. and throughout his entire professional career from the czech league to the NHL he has netted one 20 goal year. i dont think he's a valued commodity. I think the sabres were the 10th highest scoring team in the league and Kotalik contributed 14 goals. thats easily replaceable. Even Pyatt managed 14 goals in 02-03 and he never saw PP time.
Five guys on our roster. Grier probably won't do it again. If you're going to "throw in" Hecht and Vanek then surely you must take out Grier. Something tells me having five guys that are 20 goal scorers is probably near the bottom of the NHL.

You're a stat guy, so I'm sure you're aware that he had .24 GPG last year and I'm sure you know that he ranked 4th on the team in that regard. I assume you're also aware that Satan led our team in GPG. Getting rid of 2 of your top 4 goal scorers is easily replaceable? And you're counting on a rookie to do it nonetheless?

Finally, Pyatt also played almost the entire season in 02-03 and still managed less than Kotalik did last year.

He's played for the Sabres for 2 seasons. He's been 2nd and 4th in GPG. He's not a liability defensively, he doesn't make a lot of money, he's good along the boards, and he's a sniper. Getting rid of him for next to nothing is asinine.

Closed Thread