HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who'll be most missed?

View Poll Results: After Foote and Forsberg, who will the AVs miss the most from their last season?
Barnaby 13 22.81%
Gratton 8 14.04%
Hahl 9 15.79%
Hendrickson 6 10.53%
Karyia 17 29.82%
Selanne 2 3.51%
Worrell 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2005, 05:14 PM
  #1
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Who'll be most missed?

Aside from the obvious (Foote and Forsberg) who'll be most missed by this year's team?

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:18 PM
  #2
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Eric Lacroix.

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:21 PM
  #3
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,848
vCash: 50
Barnaby would have been missed, if PL hadn't gone out and got Lappy, and May. Chris Gratton, and Nikolishin might be missed the most, since we are lacking a true shut down center. Gratton would have been perfect for that role, since he can also chip in goals, win key faceoffs, and play with a nasty edge. If Lappy can become a key faceoff guy, he might be able to fill that role. I just don't like the idea of relying on Mclean or Krog to center the third line, forcing guys like Lappy or Laaksonen onto the fourth line. Mclean did show last year, that he has some talent, but according to some Chicago fans, his stats were inflated because he spent some time on spot duty, on the top lines.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:22 PM
  #4
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Sorry...First time trying to do a poll. Looked like it was up before I even finished the damn thing. Please let me know if you think there was someone we will miss more than those I listed...other than Foote and Forsberg of course.

I meant to have Andrei on this list but forgot...He was a demon on face-offs but not much after that. Of course, that comment will probably result in a multitude of posts not pertaining to this poll.


Last edited by expatriated_texan: 09-29-2005 at 05:28 PM.
expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
  #5
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Aside from Eric Lacroix whom is irreplaceable as the best video guy in the entire league(...), I'd say Andrei Nikolishin.

He's exactly what this team needs right now.

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
  #6
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Aside from Eric Lacroix whom is irreplaceable as the best video guy in the entire league(...), I'd say Andrei Nikolishin.

He's exactly what this team needs right now.
As good as Niko was for us, I'd take Gratton over him. At a lower price tag of course. Gratton wasn't quite as good defensively or on the PK, but he's fairly close to what Niko does best, and that's D and faceoffs. I think we have enough guys that can help us in our own zone now on the bottom lines, so I don't think it would be like last year, when we were a completely different team without Niko. I think Gratton's toughness, and ability to chip in some points give him an edge over Nikolishin IMO.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
  #7
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Aside from Eric Lacroix whom is irreplaceable as the best video guy in the entire league(...), I'd say Andrei Nikolishin.

He's exactly what this team needs right now.
How 'bout Joey Kocur? I hear he's on the cheap after getting the boot from Detroit. Actually...he might still be there...I just didn't see him listed on the coaches page.

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:33 PM
  #8
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Aside from Eric Lacroix whom is irreplaceable as the best video guy in the entire league(...), I'd say Andrei Nikolishin.

He's exactly what this team needs right now.


Anyhow, I voted Hendrickson. He played great for us in the opening series against the Stars. I think McLean will fill in just fine, I just thought among the multitude of acquisitions we got at the deadline, his might have ended up being the best.

Gratton was HORRIBLE during his brief time with the Avs. Kariya just never fit in. Barnaby was a nice addition due to his attitude and style of play, but his upside tends to be a tad overrated. He's not great defensively, and he can't fight to save his life. I like Laperriere better.

And yeah, Andrei NIKOLISHIN was a welcome surprise, though a bit too injury prone for my liking.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:36 PM
  #9
Belgican
Registered User
 
Belgican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Belgium
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Aside from Eric Lacroix whom is irreplaceable as the best video guy in the entire league(...), I'd say Andrei Nikolishin.

He's exactly what this team needs right now.
I agrre 100%, but as he wasn't on the poll. Gratton looks good on paper, but never brought a thing to the Avs.

Hendrickson and hahl were 4th liners, and can't be missed too much really.

Selanne, he was just so awfull, it's not even coming to my mind.

Worrell was useless, as he was hurt all season long.

From the liste, I would have said barnaby, but the Avs did great by getting guys like Lappy and May, so he won't be missed at all, we got a huge upgrade in that department IMO.

So I chose Kariya, he did well, was hurt too much, but I guess we will miss his scoring touch.

Belgican is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:41 PM
  #10
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Gratton was HORRIBLE during his brief time with the Avs.
I don't see how he was horrible with the Avs. He fought a couple guys, chipped in a few points, shut down Modano in the first round of the playoffs, and would have been better offensively after he got comfortable with his new team. The KGB line that he centered, might have been our best line all year.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:42 PM
  #11
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
The KGB line that he centered, might have been our best line all year.
You mean since the trade deadline when they were formed, right?

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:43 PM
  #12
Titanium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, Eng
Country: England
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Based on last season, Nikolishin! Based on what they are usually capable of (and may be again), it has to be Kariya!

Titanium is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
  #13
bling
Registered User
 
bling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,934
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to bling
I chose Kariya too, as he is the only one with a decent excuse for his disappointing performance. I really wish we could have seen a healthy Paul Kariya playing for the majority of the season.

bling is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
  #14
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
I've gotta go with Barnaby. He was an under-rated passer and I think he'd excel on the top lines filling in for injuries the same way Konowalchuk did last year. He's also fearless and doesn't mind going into the corners and doing the dirty work. We need those kind of guys because the AVs have always been stocked with folks who like nothing more than set up pretty passes and scoring oportunities. Not that he's a puck hog, but with players like him on the top two lines the center and other wing will need to start pulling the trigger more. Our team has suffered from too much talent the last several years. I really hope we have a hungrier, more selfish team this year. As Gretzky said, "Every shot you don't take is 100% sure not to go in."

I think we should break up the JAM line just to ensure we have a goal scorer on more than one line. This would mean that the other team can try to shut down just one line.

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
  #15
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
You mean since the trade deadline when they were formed, right?
I might have been exagerating a bit, but the way they played when he was brought over from the trade deadline, they had so many scoring chances, and worked so well together, they were definitley the best line after the trade deadline, and scoring chance wise, they were pretty close to our top line combos all year. Of course the AMP line was better when it was there, but we had a lot of injuries last year, and not everything was clicking with our top lines.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:53 PM
  #16
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bling
I chose Kariya too, as he is the only one with a decent excuse for his disappointing performance. I really wish we could have seen a healthy Paul Kariya playing for the majority of the season.
Hell, a healthy Kariya would've made Selanne that much better. Those guys only wanted to play together. What bothered me most was that Paul took the big pay-cut to play. I might've understood last year better if Teemu played for 1.whatever. Anyone have the numbers on who is the highest played third line player in league history? That was what that guy marginalized himself to. It's not his ability but his heart that I questioned all year long. He wasn't into it after Paul started getting injured. I think he'll be a force this year and expect a return to his normal self back in a Duck uniform...Maybe he missed being a cartoon...who can say?

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 05:58 PM
  #17
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan
Hell, a healthy Kariya would've made Selanne that much better. Those guys only wanted to play together. What bothered me most was that Paul took the big pay-cut to play. I might've understood last year better if Teemu played for 1.whatever. Anyone have the numbers on who is the highest played third line player in league history? That was what that guy marginalized himself to. It's not his ability but his heart that I questioned all year long. He wasn't into it after Paul started getting injured. I think he'll be a force this year and expect a return to his normal self back in a Duck uniform...Maybe he missed being a cartoon...who can say?
Actually, Teemu was far worse than a 3rd line player.

As an example of how bad he really was... a guy of his reputation wasn't even good enough to play in the 2nd round of the playoffs against his former team. He was a healthy scratch two of the six games and played on the fourth line the other four games.

One could argue he was so bad that he wasn't even good enough for the 4th line.

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 06:00 PM
  #18
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
Barnaby would have been missed, if PL hadn't gone out and got Lappy, and May. Chris Gratton, and Nikolishin might be missed the most, since we are lacking a true shut down center. Gratton would have been perfect for that role, since he can also chip in goals, win key faceoffs, and play with a nasty edge. If Lappy can become a key faceoff guy, he might be able to fill that role. I just don't like the idea of relying on Mclean or Krog to center the third line, forcing guys like Lappy or Laaksonen onto the fourth line. Mclean did show last year, that he has some talent, but according to some Chicago fans, his stats were inflated because he spent some time on spot duty, on the top lines.
Was Niko ever really a shut-down center? He wasn't a defensive laibility...He was a demon on face-offs but did he really shut down the top lines? I could be wrong on this but I just don't remember that being a part of his role.

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 06:02 PM
  #19
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Actually, Teemu was far worse than a 3rd line player.

As an example of how bad he really was... a guy of his reputation wasn't even good enough to play in the 2nd round of the playoffs against his former team. He was a healthy scratch two of the six games and played on the fourth line the other four games.

One could argue he was so bad that he wasn't even good enough for the 4th line.
That was what I was getting at. Thank you for backing me up. This guy wasn't showing up to play. He got pissed after he realized he couldn't play with his high-school sweet-heart and left the building. His heart was no longer there. I hope for the Duck's sake that he finds it again...otherwise they have some problems...unless they are counting on him to offer some third/fourth line scoring. But if that's what they want him for, he's severly over-paid.

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 06:07 PM
  #20
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 50
Karyia appears to be the early leader with Barnaby bit behind.

It's intresting considering the number of folks I've seen lamenting the loss of Gratton. Of course, the poll has only be open for a 20 or so minutes. It'll be intresting to see how this one pans out.

Thank you all for your time and thoughts!

-an expatriated_texan living in Alaska.

PS- We had our first snow-fall last night. I'm looking forward to winter and all the joy's a back-yard rink might bring...If my wife will allow me to build one that is...

expatriated_texan is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 06:22 PM
  #21
RoyIsALegend*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan
PS- We had our first snow-fall last night. I'm looking forward to winter and all the joy's a back-yard rink might bring...If my wife will allow me to build one that is...
You better get going pretty soon if you want to have that done by winter.

RoyIsALegend* is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 06:31 PM
  #22
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan
Was Niko ever really a shut-down center? He wasn't a defensive laibility...He was a demon on face-offs but did he really shut down the top lines? I could be wrong on this but I just don't remember that being a part of his role.
He was much better than not a defensive liablity. Our team was drastically different with him out of the lineup. Niko isn't in the same same mold as a Holik, or a Primeau, that can shut down an offensive guy with defense, and physical play, but I think his great defense and the little things he does in all three zones, are at the level where he can shut down an offensive player if he needs to fill that role.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
  #23
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan
Karyia appears to be the early leader with Barnaby bit behind.
The thing about voting for Kariya, is that the poll is asking who will the Avs miss the most. That suggest to me that you are taking into consideration what the player did for you in the past. Kariya, while he could be great this year, didn't do much of anything for the Avs, due to his injuries. If you're voting for what Kariya could do for the Avs this year, you might as well vote for a guy like Ziggy Palffy, that also didn't do anything for us last year.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 06:53 PM
  #24
Doctor No
Retired
 
Doctor No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,405
vCash: 500
I'd argue though, that as little as Kariya did with the Avs in 2003-04, everyone else in the poll did less. I would have voted for Niko had the option presented itself.

Doctor No is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 07:31 PM
  #25
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
I don't see how he was horrible with the Avs. He fought a couple guys, chipped in a few points, shut down Modano in the first round of the playoffs, and would have been better offensively after he got comfortable with his new team. The KGB line that he centered, might have been our best line all year.
Apparently the Gratton you saw and the Gratton I saw were not the same guy. No offense, but while that line was decent, I credit that more to Barnaby and Kono than I do Gratton. He looked lost for the most part when I saw him play against the Stars and Sharks.

Av-merican is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.