HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TBN - Sept 30, 2005 - Noronen Article

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
TBN - Sept 30, 2005 - Noronen Article

Tough time for Mika

Kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Old
09-30-2005, 09:10 AM
Takeo

Hopefully, Ruff is trying to make a determination between Biron and Miller as starter, having already pegged Noronen as backup. Either Biron will be traded or Miller will start another year in Rochester (which, of course, makes little sense).

If Noronen is dumped, we will:

a) dedicate our second largest contract on a financially-handicapped team to a backup

or

b) endure another season of rotating goalies on a whim which precludes defined roles and the establishment of any sort of rhythm or confidence

or

c) continue to hamper the development of arguably our top "prospect" by keeping him locked in a backup role

No sense.

Old
09-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Fan-of-#9

Whether or not he's been given a fair chance of not, it's obvious that the team does not have confidence in Mika. The reason I feel for the guy is because as he mentioned he thought that he would have accomplished more by this time in his NHL career. For a guy who was labeled the best prospect for 2 consecutive years, I'm sure he's not the only one who feels that way. I can understand his frustration. I hope we can settle this DAMN situation before the season starts.

This is starting to get even uglier IMO. Something needs to be done ASAP.

Old
09-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Whether or not he's been given a fair chance of not, it's obvious that the team does not have confidence in Mika. The reason I feel for the guy is because as he mentioned he thought that he would have accomplished more by this time in his NHL career. For a guy who was labeled the best prospect for 2 consecutive years, I'm sure he's not the only one who feels that way. I can understand his frustration. I hope we can settle this DAMN situation before the season starts.

This is starting to get even uglier IMO. Something needs to be done ASAP.
I tried to be objective in my post above. Obviously I want Noronen to stay, but when I lay the facts down, I conclude that moving Biron is the only option. I know you prefer Biron, so do you disagree with any of my bullet points or, if not, how do you justify keeping Biron? If you're simply willing to rotate goalies again then at least I understand where you're coming from.

Old
09-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Fan-of-#9

Takeo,

It really depends on Marty IMO. Will he accept the role of playing 20-30 games this season? If he's comforatble with that role, I want him to stay for at least the time being, definetly over Mika. As important as it is for us to maximize the value of our players, we are not handicapped by any salaries at this point, and until the opportunity arises for us to add a player that can impact this team, I don't see a reason to trade Marty just based on his salary, he may very likely prove to be valuable for us at some point in the season. But then again I don't make the financial decisons for the team. At this point Miller should be between the pipes on Oct 5, I think that is becoming the overall feelings of most of us. I do believe that management knows that if they want a shot at the playoffs they are going to need to play the best goalies that are at their disposal. At this point in time that is Miller and Biron IMO. I strongly feel that below average goaltending from our backups have been a big reason why we missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons. I know that not everyone shares that perspective with me, but that is how I feel, and I've done my best to prove that on these boards.

Ideally I'd like Miller starting, with Biron as the backup. With management making it clear to both what they will be expected to do for the team this season (ie. making it clear to Biron that they are going to go with Miller through thick and thin). If it becomes any sort of problem or distraction during the season, or if the opportunity arises to make a trade involving Marty, we can always acquire another goalie who can come in a know his role.

It's obviously a very tough situation. The best thing would be to move Mika now for a pick. Then when another team inherits the need for a decent goalie with some experience, and Marty's value has increased because of that, we can move him and really clarify the goalie situation. Miller is going to have to gain the confidence of management though, or else they may not be inclined to move Marty. Again, it all depends on whether Marty, will he make it an issue if he's on the bench most nights? That's very important. If he's OK with it, I don't think his salary is hampering the team so much that he has to be moved immediately. We have time to evaluate the situation, and perhaps get much more in return for Marty than we will at this point.

....when will this end my friend? WHEN?

Come on Miller, make this easy on all of us, it's your time to SHINE, take the job and RUN with it!

Old
09-30-2005, 10:25 AM
BG43

I feel bad for him. I really want whatever goalie is best for this team to stay.. whether it be Biron, Miller or Noronen.. the thing is success and winning. We can't worry about hurt feelings at this level.. if you're not good enough.. you gotta go. I don't know that Noronen is the weakest though.. I just don't know anymore. These goalies are so up and down.. you never know what you're getting. But whatever happens.. I wish them all success... I want them to do well.. I think they are all good guys who work hard that are all just caught in this tough position and there's so much tension. It sucks but I hope that it works out in the end for everyone.. no regrets. Good luck to them and may the best man win.

Old
09-30-2005, 10:27 AM
BG43

Quote:

It really depends on Marty IMO. Will he accept the role of playing 20-30 games this season?
No, the thing is whether or not the fans and Regier will accept him playing that many games for as much money as he'll be making.

Old
09-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG43
No, the thing is whether or not the fans and Regier will accept him playing that many games for as much money as he'll be making.
Personally, I don't think that Marty's salary is going to push him out the door *before* the season starts. It may end up being the reason he's moved but at this point we are not desperate to get rid of him just because of his salary.

Old
09-30-2005, 10:47 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
This is such a disaster. Alright, Miller has won the starting job out of camp, I can accept that - but they're going to throw out a young, cheap, talented goalie entering the prime of his career simply because of one bad game in the preseason. I honestly can't understand the logic of paying your backup $2.1m. Whatever, I'm sick of thinking of all this stuff, I just want the season to start

Old
09-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Sound_n_Fury

Quote:
Personally, I don't think that Marty's salary is going to push him out the door *before* the season starts. It may end up being the reason he's moved but at this point we are not desperate to get rid of him just because of his salary.
Why not start the season with Marty as backup insurance in case Miller melts down again? Other teams will be evaluating their goaltending during the first few months of the season, or an injury might happen and someone would want to take him off our hands before Christmas. The Sabres would need to get a veteran backup coming along in the deal or via another trade.

Old
09-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_n_Fury
Why not start the season with Marty as backup insurance in case Miller melts down again? Other teams will be evaluating their goaltending during the first few months of the season, or an injury might happen and someone would want to take him off our hands before Christmas. The Sabres would need to get a veteran backup coming along in the deal or via another trade.
Well that's what I want to see happen. Biron is capable of coming in if necessary. There is 3 concerns though:

1) How will Biron deal with the fact that he will be riding the bench on most nights? Will he become a distraction?

2) How will Miller's confidence be effected by the fact that the team is not willing to move Biron because they don't have 100% trust in him?

3) How will Ruff react if Miller has a couple poor outings in a row? Will he go right back to Biron and never look back?

Those are the 2 main issues aside from the salary concerns most people have.

Old
09-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

If we can't trade Biron in the next few day i would like to see Regier put him on waivers... and hope somebody claims him.

Old
09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
3) How will Ruff react if Miller has a couple poor outings in a row? Will he go right back to Biron and never look back?.
i dread this scenario... we'll be right back where we started last season

With a Miller(55)/Mika(27) tandem atleast if Miller has a few poor outings Ruff can go to Mika and whther Mika does good or bad he can still go back to Miller.

Old
09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
i dread this scenario... we'll be right back where we started last season

With a Miller(55)/Mika(27) tandem atleast if Miller has a few poor outings Ruff can go to Mika and whther Mika does good or bad he can still go back to Miller.

Exactly, plus, it'll save $2 million, so that the Sabres can improve during the season if they want to.

Old
09-30-2005, 01:46 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Takeo,

It really depends on Marty IMO. Will he accept the role of playing 20-30 games this season?
wing fan here, i just like roaming around, so i figured id toss my 2 cents.

Your key part of that phrase is THIS SEASON... sorry bout the caps, just making it stand out, anyway, biron knows that if he playd 30 goals, he wouldnt likely see his title starter back ever again. Noronen probably is more used to backup at this point then biron. Cheaper too. Anyway, biron definitly wouldnt imo allow to play 20-30 gms and much rather demand a trade inless he loved the team that much. Him playing 20-30 gms is the new regime of saying hello im now gonna be a career backup for a while, because theres no way once RM gets the job does he flop that bad that fast in order for biron to get the job. just my opinion

Old
09-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Lock3Boys
Ted's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
wing fan here, i just like roaming around, so i figured id toss my 2 cents.

Your key part of that phrase is THIS SEASON... sorry bout the caps, just making it stand out, anyway, biron knows that if he playd 30 goals, he wouldnt likely see his title starter back ever again. Noronen probably is more used to backup at this point then biron. Cheaper too. Anyway, biron definitly wouldnt imo allow to play 20-30 gms and much rather demand a trade inless he loved the team that much. Him playing 20-30 gms is the new regime of saying hello im now gonna be a career backup for a while, because theres no way once RM gets the job does he flop that bad that fast in order for biron to get the job. just my opinion

Wish he would demand a trade. If he is a starter for this organization again, I will lose all faith in the front office.

Closed Thread