HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gameday Thread: Calgary @ Vancouver

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Thalia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Careful, I'm pondering changing my handle to:

Morrison = God

Old
10-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I can't wait to see that game on saturday. The Oiler's fourth line was deadly against San Jose. Dominated San Jose's Defense. Torres was awesome. Horcoff, Laraque and Torres were the three stars.

Watching them battle Vancouver's big tough physical defense will be awesome.

With my Oiler bias I say Oiler's win 4-3 in an wicked game that goes down to the final minute.
I'm going to go with a Canucks win, 3 - 1. Naslund will get at least 1 goal, and one of the Canuck goals will be on the power play.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Hey, it's about as close to owning a team as the flames got last year.

Yeah, I know how ya feel. I remember when I was proud when the Canucks were able to win by a couple goals. Sad, sad times... ]

Anyways, best of luck to Calgary this year. I'm really rooting for them to make the post-season as you guys truly deserve it. To have the ammount of fan support they have after 7? seasons of missing the playoffs is phenominal IMO. Here's hoping that the hard working Flames can nab a playoff spot

Old
10-09-2003, 09:33 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Do you think that may have been caused by his injury(can't remember what it was right now)? Anyway, I guess I'll get a better look at him on Saturday. Thanks for your take on his play.
Good chance, he's playing center with a broken finger. Also both teams sat around for 30 minutes right before the game for Fuhr's Number retirement ceremony. The game was pretty slow until midway thru the 2nd.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:36 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Naslund will get at least 1 goal
I'll disagree with the rest, but I don't think I can argue with that prediction. It's pretty safe giving Salo and Naslund's history.

Hopefully Semenov plays, he's in MacT's doghouse for his poor play in the preseason. He was in the pressbox for the game tonight. Bergeron played pretty well though, so unless Ferguson sits, Semenov won't be playing.

Old
Thalia

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion of King, Swiss. I feel he will be an NHL player. How good of one remains to be seen. I hope he's less Bill Muckalt, and more Martin Gelinas.

Intermission notes:

The Good:

- Morrison has been great defensivly
- Ohlund has been tremendous today
- Malik and Salo have been just great today. I think the Canucks have one of the best defensive depths in the league with these two guys.

The Bad:

- Sopel giveaways.. ugh
- Linden made a few dumb plays
- Haven't seen much of Arvedson this game.
Where's the Ugly? :p

Old
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Good chance, he's playing center with a broken hand.
Yeah that's probably effecting his face-off skills big time.

Quote:
The game was pretty slow until midway thru the 2nd.
Good thing that the Oil's next team is the Nucks, they always start off well against us...

Old
10-09-2003, 09:39 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Yeah that's probably effecting his face-off skills big time.

Good thing that the Oil's next team is the Nucks, they always start off well against us...
Quick correction, I said hand. I meant to say finger. Not quite the same deal.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Mizral

Crawford's post game comments on The Score:

- We got physical play from some unlikely sources. Naslund being one of our most physical players. When you get that sort of thing happening, it has a culmulative effect.

- Scoring from unlikely sources.

- Wasn't textbook, but we got it down

- More balance in the lineup came through tonight

- King played extremely well, he and the Sedins had great control of the puck. Strong in all sorts of areas. Sees the ice well. Compliments one another very well.

- Chubarov played really well. Ruutu particularly strong. (Sounds like Crawford really likes Ruutu/Chubarov/May)

- Wasn't an easy day for Bertuzzi or game. There was a bit of concern, but he showed his professionalism that he's gonna have a big year no matter what. Strong performance tonight.

- Everybody that didn't play tonight was a healthy scratch (er.. yeah, crawford..???)

That's that.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:58 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Did you even watch the game?

Sopel was the worst canuck on the ice the whole game.
It is gonna be like this all year? ONE giveaway and it is a horrible game? Jovo had 5 atleast and no one mentions him. Sopel even gets blamed for a Linden giveaway because Linden can do no wrong... Arvedson fell more than twice also.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
It is gonna be like this all year? ONE giveaway and it is a horrible game? Jovo had 5 atleast and no one mentions him. Sopel even gets blamed for a Linden giveaway because Linden can do no wrong... Arvedson fell more than twice also.
Sopel made more than one giveaway,

I thought Sopel was not good, but not mortifyingly bad either.

He can do better

Jovo did make a few giveaways, but none were downright terrible, and Jovo played very well outside of the couple of giveaways. Sopel did not.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Jovo had a giveaway? I didn't catch it. A bunch of his outlet passes got deflected and were dead in the neutral zone, but nothing to be unexpected. I thought Special Ed kicked ass in the defensive zone tonight...he was really, really good at evading Calgary's forecheckers.

Tonight's Sopel giveaway count is 4.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:06 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Jovo had a giveaway? I didn't catch it. A bunch of his outlet passes got deflected and were dead in the neutral zone, but nothing to be unexpected. I thought Special Ed kicked ass in the defensive zone tonight...he was really, really good at evading Calgary's forecheckers.

Tonight's Sopel giveaway count is 4.
Try 1.

You know why you didn't notice Jovo's? Because everyone focuses on Sopel. Everyone is picky about everything he did bad and doesn't mention what he did well.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
What was Jovo's Special Giveaway count?

Old
10-09-2003, 10:08 PM
SopelFan*

I thought all of the Canucks defense weren't that great. They had long intervals of time in their own zone trying to get the puck from Calgary's forwards. Still need someone more physical. Jovo did play well though. Just making a point.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:17 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
I thought all of the Canucks defense weren't that great. They had long intervals of time in their own zone trying to get the puck from Calgary's forwards. Still need someone more physical. Jovo did play well though. Just making a point.
If it makes you feel better, I think Allen looked worse than Sopel out there tonight. :p Guy looks like he's going to lose the puck in his skates every time he handles it.

Salo's looking great out there though. Now that he's on the first PP unit and killing penalties, he's going to be getting huge minutes out there...possibly up in Jovo/Ohlund territory. I hope he stays healthy.

I'm lovin' our third and fourth lines now too. Arvedson-Linden-Cooke is awesome, and May, Chubarov and Ruutu are a great 4th line too.
Now if only the Sedins and King can keep it together on the 2nd...fingers crossed..

Also, I'd agree that the one weakness tonight was getting stuck in our own end for extended periods...we still look lost back there a lot of the time.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:19 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
If it makes you feel better, I think Allen looked worse than Sopel out there tonight. :p Guy looks like he's going to lose the puck in his skates every time he handles it.

Salo's looking great out there though. Now that he's on the first PP unit and killing penalties, he's going to be getting huge minutes out there...possibly up in Jovo/Ohlund territory. I hope he stays healthy.

I'm lovin' our third and fourth lines now too. Arvedson-Linden-Cooke is awesome, and May, Chubarov and Ruutu are a great 4th line too.
Now if only the Sedins and King can keep it together on the 2nd...fingers crossed..

Also, I'd agree that the one weakness tonight was getting stuck in our own end for extended periods...we still look lost back there a lot of the time.
That's what I noticed also. No one could handle them on the boards... much like the playoffs last year.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Canadian26

Send a message via MSN to Canadian26
Awsome game tonight, this team really has alot of chemisrty going for them. I think Salo looks awsome, hes going to have a great year this year. King had a strong night also, this kid's really impressed in tonights game... actually that whole line was looking pretty impressive. Van came out strong, and started the season off on a great note.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:48 PM
orcatown

Some impressions

Cloutier was excellent. Very square to the puck all night.

Canuck defense turned puck over too much. Especially Sopel. Jovo and Allen. Sopel was mis-timing his shot too much. Needs to calm down.

Salo was very good. Our best defenseman. However needs to shoot the puck more.

Chubarov was excellent both ways. He bailed out the defense all night.

Glad to see Ruutu continue his play from the end of last season. Has become a solid NHL player. Also thought May played a smart effective game.

Sedins - King goal was game highlight.

Calgary will go no where with Ferrance and Leopold on defense. Neither can play a lick of defense. Have some offense but that's it. They'll will both be lit up this year.

Overall forwards played great. Goaltending superb. Defense needs some work.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Everyone is picky about everything he did bad and doesn't mention what he did well.
That's your department Sopelfan. :p

Sopel can do much better and he will. It's just the first game.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Hobo

vCash:
Sopel = No. 1 candidate for this year's goat boy. Taking a high-sticking penalty with 6 mins. left in the second period when you are up by 2-0 is stupid. If Ruutu hadn't got that beauty set-up from Malik they would have had an opponent with new life coming into the third. Just undisciplined and dumb.

Do you think Allen has confidence problems? He seems to have all the tools and I like his aggressive size low in our zone.

2pts, but Calgary is seriously undergunned.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:30 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
I thought Allen was nervous until the third, and then he was on his game. Postionally he was very good in the third, and was clearing the crease and taking the right guy. I felt the team played a much better defensive game in the third, but again they were pretty crappy in the first two.

First, and third lines have great speed, while the fourth is somewhat slower followed by the second. But like I thought after watching the preseason, it doesn't matter because the Sedins are really spreading it out with King.

It was Sopels struggles with the puck that seemed worse than Jovo's bad outlet passes. I also noticed Ohlund put it up the boards to opposing players several times. Malik was good, and Salo was better. There was a lot of rust out there, but a big part of the problem is the top line really hurrys out of the zone often leaving the D under pressure from the oppositions forcheck, and their outlet passes are easier to pick off. I noticed that the Flames were all going to the same parts of the ice (near the boards), and either picking the puck up there, or reaching towards the middle and grabbing passes meant for the Canucks who were now behind them... on the wings. It's the very same thing the Wild did with more success in the playoffs. It's worriesome that the Canuck coaching staff have not addressed this problem, cause it's obvious every team in the league will use this against them.

Arvy Linden Cooke started to click, as did May Chubby Ruttu.

Thought Cloutier made this win possible by playing a strong game. Exactly what this team needs. The top line was the weakest 5 on 5, but are very strong on the PP.

Overall, there is huge room for improvement, but I like all the players and think there is possibly the right personel to get the job done. Great game to watch.

Old
10-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Broda

the day that crawford puts allen and sopel on a defensive pairing together... i say is the day we fire him....
I have to say though sopel looked decent in our zone... he just needs to work on rushes... as does allen... they dont seem to good defensively on two on twos or whatever the situation calls for....
They are both still young though, adn they will both improve.. i just hope that allen improves to be a tough stay at home defenseman ... top 4
that would be nice

Old
10-10-2003, 03:11 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo
Sopel = No. 1 candidate for this year's goat boy. Taking a high-sticking penalty with 6 mins. left in the second period when you are up by 2-0 is stupid. If Ruutu hadn't got that beauty set-up from Malik they would have had an opponent with new life coming into the third. Just undisciplined and dumb.

Do you think Allen has confidence problems? He seems to have all the tools and I like his aggressive size low in our zone.

2pts, but Calgary is seriously undergunned.
Naslund took a bad penalty too... Sopel was the unlucky one who was in the box when a goal went in.

Old
10-10-2003, 03:12 PM
SopelFan*

I think everyone was a bit rusty. It is the first game of the season. Atleast it wasn't as bad as Calgary's excessive turnovers on D.

Closed Thread