HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jiri Novotny

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
  #1
Lapps
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lapps
Jiri Novotny

I can't find the exact quote anymore, but I remember during a recent round of cuts Ruff said something along the lines of how difficult the cuts were getting to be, and how a lot of guys who deserved more time wouldn't be getting it. Then he named a bunch of players, including Jiri Novotny.

Everything I've seen/heard of him up until now has not been good. Did Novotny play well in training camp? Was this a tactic by Ruff to give him some confidence going into the Rochester camp? (Which begs the question: is Ruff smart enough to motivate a guy that way?) Or was it all bs? In other words, is Novotny showing ANY progress at all?

Lapps is offline  
Old
09-29-2005, 08:01 PM
  #2
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,894
vCash: 500
I saw him at camp this week and he wasn't impressive at all. This is his last year so he either starts producing or he can drag his *** back to Europe.

sabrefan27 is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 07:12 AM
  #3
ajsonor
Registered User
 
ajsonor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
I think he was real good at faceoffs if I remember some of the stats from game he played.

ajsonor is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 08:17 AM
  #4
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
I saw him at camp this week and he wasn't impressive at all. This is his last year so he either starts producing or he can drag his *** back to Europe.

No offense, 27, but I think if Novotny scored a hat trick and got into a fight in game 7 of the Calder Cup finals, you'd still criticize his play.

Ruckus007 is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 08:51 AM
  #5
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
I think he was real good at faceoffs if I remember some of the stats from game he played.
The next Bob Corkum?

Digable5 is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 11:31 AM
  #6
ajsonor
Registered User
 
ajsonor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
I assume that if they can make him into a a sizeable 3/4 center who takes key faceoffs and can be physical, they'll take it.

ajsonor is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 11:55 AM
  #7
Lapps
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lapps
I look forward to a Sabres line of Jiri Novotny, Artem Kriukov, and Vasily Bizyeyevevyvevyvev.

Lapps is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 02:04 PM
  #8
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
No offense, 27, but I think if Novotny scored a hat trick and got into a fight in game 7 of the Calder Cup finals, you'd still criticize his play.
Not true. If he starts to play well with some consistency I will gladly give him credit for it. He played great in the Hamilton series last year, then disappeared against Manitoba. Consistency is his biggest problem. One game he'll look decent, and then he looks lost the next game.

sabrefan27 is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 02:58 PM
  #9
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,076
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
Not true. If he starts to play well with some consistency I will gladly give him credit for it. He played great in the Hamilton series last year, then disappeared against Manitoba. Consistency is his biggest problem. One game he'll look decent, and then he looks lost the next game.
When they put him on RW when Poms went down, it was like he turned the corner. Too bad he shut off the engine in the next series....

From what I saw in scrimmage play and against the Caps, he did win most of his faceoffs, was involved along the boards and didn't seem out of place. And at the same time, he was checking line filler that I found both Thorburn and Paille to be much more robust in execution. If they're checkers, they may as well hit.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 03:22 PM
  #10
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
When they put him on RW when Poms went down, it was like he turned the corner. Too bad he shut off the engine in the next series....

From what I saw in scrimmage play and against the Caps, he did win most of his faceoffs, was involved along the boards and didn't seem out of place. And at the same time, he was checking line filler that I found both Thorburn and Paille to be much more robust in execution. If they're checkers, they may as well hit.
Sounds encouraging. He's always been a good faceoff man, I'll give him that. But being involved along the boards. I just don't see it in Rochester. Or at least I haven't yet. Maybe this year will be different. The ice time won't be handed to him this year, there are a lot of players available to the Amerks.

sabrefan27 is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 04:04 PM
  #11
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster
 
Buffaloed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,964
vCash: 2662
After scoring a career high 5 goals last year and racking up an impressive 36 penalty minutes by throwing his body around with reckless abandon, Novotny is on the verge of breaking out. This is not time to be abandoning this highly talented, former first round pick. With intensive nurturing and encouragement he has the potential to become a quality AHL 3rd liner.

Buffaloed is offline  
Old
09-30-2005, 04:34 PM
  #12
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
After scoring a career high 5 goals


This made me laugh.

sabrefan27 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.