HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

How do you guys see the Pacific shaping up?

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Haik

vCash: 500
Looks like the only team that hasnt been blown out yet are the Kings....

Old
10-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Fielddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turco
so you think a whole season is dependent on one single game
No, but I do believe certain things are starting to take shape. The big question with the Kings, even stated in the origional post, wasn't the offense, but defense and goal keeping. The defense has been as good as a lot of King's fans had hoped for, but in reality, better than most expected. The goal keeping has certainly been better than expected, but it is still early. In this King team, I see a very hungry group, seasoned with veterans but building around some very good youngsters. A lot of publications predicted Dallas to be either firrst or second in the West. I just never bought in to it, and still don't.
I think Dallas has shown some decent offense (expected), but what has been some very disturbing signs that their defense and goalkeeping is shoddy at best. Last night wasn't just one game, if you remember we lit up Turco the first game of the season, only to cough it up in the second and eventually lose.
I will be suprised if Dallas finishes ahead of the Kings, not to mention San Jose or Phoenix in the West.

Old
10-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik
Looks like the only team that hasnt been blown out yet are the Kings....
When were the Coyotes blown out?

Old
10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Maybe it was that huge loss by 2-0 to Detroit?

Old
10-27-2005, 06:43 PM
johnjm22

The Division will look like this at the end of the season:

1 Kings- Looking good & only gonna get better, Staying Healthy, Labarbera looks like a solid NHL goalie, DT will make moves to strengthen the team's weak spots

2 Stars- A decent team as always but not their year, they lack scoring depth, very mediocore team with Zubov out of lineup

3 Sharks- Seems as if they have the injury bug, are overatted anyways, last season was somewhat of a fluke, won't be able to regain the magic

4 Ducks- Injuries, no depth, team not put together for the "new" NHL-Blame Burke

5 Coyotes-Well it's obvious.

Old
10-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22
1 Kings- Looking good & only gonna get better, Staying Healthy, Labarbera looks like a solid NHL goalie, DT will make moves to strengthen the team's weak spots

2 Stars- A decent team as always but not their year, they lack scoring depth, very mediocore team with Zubov out of lineup

3 Sharks- Seems as if they have the injury bug, are overatted anyways, last season was somewhat of a fluke, won't be able to regain the magic

4 Ducks- Injuries, no depth, team not put together for the "new" NHL-Blame Burke

The Kings always come out strong. This is nothing new. Question is can they stay strong this season? It's quite possible they will be the team to beat this year or they could go back to their old ways. Only time will tell.

I think its too early to be predicting whose year it is and who it isn't. Last season I believe the Sharks lost the first 7 of 9 games and look how they ended. Anything can and usally will happen.

Old
10-29-2005, 06:00 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey
The Kings always come out strong. This is nothing new. Question is can they stay strong this season? It's quite possible they will be the team to beat this year or they could go back to their old ways. Only time will tell.

I think its too early to be predicting whose year it is and who it isn't. Last season I believe the Sharks lost the first 7 of 9 games and look how they ended. Anything can and usally will happen.
The big question with the kings is can they stay healthy? The last few seasons have been horrible for them injury wise and that has alot to do with them tailing off at the end. Who knows they could stay healthy and still tail off. Have to agree its way too early to tell.

Old
10-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:

DT will not be the only GM trying to strengthen weak spots and Kings will not be the only team getting better. So its not a particularly good argument. LaBarbera's hot goaltending is about all that is separating the Kings from 4 teams right behind on 11 points.

Please enlighten us what is so obvious about the Coyotes.

Old
10-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Ruutu15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19
The big question with the kings is can they stay healthy? The last few seasons have been horrible for them injury wise and that has alot to do with them tailing off at the end. Who knows they could stay healthy and still tail off. Have to agree its way too early to tell.
that was the big question, for the most part, they got rid of all the glass players, which is huge for the kings. I think the pac will belong to the kings this time around, with the sharks and stars ( only if turco will start showing up to games 30 minutes earlier so he can let in his mandatory 2 early goals before the game even starts) biting away at their ankles.

Old
11-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
3 Sharks- Seems as if they have the injury bug, are overatted anyways, last season was somewhat of a fluke, won't be able to regain the magic...
Respectfully, I must disagree.

The fluke was 2 seasons ago, solid improvement for years (7 if i recall correctly) barring that year. SJ has had some key injuries (#1 and #2 netminders) and have managed to improve their record during that stretch. Maybe a tad overrated at 1st glance, but not really if you factor in depth and the fact that all teams will have injuries.

Old
11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Well, even though they're not dominating, Anaheim seems to have done well after the usual rocky start. They've also seemed to shut down alot of criticisms on the team as well. People said they'd have trouble scoring goals, but are right in the middle of the pack, and that's with their best player missing nine games, people said JS Giguere would suck with new pads, yet, he's played very well, with stats that peg him at about the 13th best tender in that respect league-wide, and that's coming from a guy who's notorious for slow starts, and people said Selanne was done, yet, he's right up there stats-wide, tied for 16th with 14 points(1 more and he'd be tied for 8th), and tied for third in goals with 9(which is also the best in the western conference, the next closest coming from a whole whack of guys with 7). Once Fedorov, Ozolinsh and the kids return, you can probably expect the Ducks only to go up standings-wise(and even so, right now they're tied for 2nd in the pacific, and tied for 5th in the West).

Old
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Icey

At the end of the day everyone can tell everyone else why their team is the best. It's what makes sports fun.

It will be exciting to watch this season unfold and see who wins in the end.

Old
11-02-2005, 10:48 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey
At the end of the day everyone can tell everyone else why their team is the best. It's what makes sports fun.

It will be exciting to watch this season unfold and see who wins in the end.
Should be a fun year watching this division!

Old
11-16-2005, 02:37 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Update:

Well, with the Ducks dealing their best and only forward capable of deciding games on his own, they pretty much throw in the towel for the season. I figure they will concentrate on their youth and will sacrafice an entire season to do so. I don't think they'll tank, but they seriously lack talent up front, making it even harder to win games this year. They're already standing last in the division..

There's still a close race going on for the remaining 4 teams. LA leads the division with 25 points in 19 games, but can be equalled by the Stars in points if the Stars win their 19th game today (against the Fedorov-less Ducks). Phoenix, with 20 in 20 are 3rd, but are likely to slip to fourth with San Jose having 3 games in hand to close the 2-point deficit.

My predictions are looking bad so far..

Old
11-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
Well, with the Ducks dealing their best and only forward capable of deciding games on his own, they pretty much throw in the towel for the season. I figure they will concentrate on their youth and will sacrafice an entire season to do so. I don't think they'll tank, but they seriously lack talent up front, making it even harder to win games this year. They're already standing last in the division..
heh ? i can't remember the Ducks traded McDonald, Selanne, Lupul, Niedermayer, Sykora, Getzlaf, Hedstrom,....
They traded away an old, overpriced ex-superstar, who is injured every 5 minutes this season and completely out of shape

Old
11-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Icey

The only forward capable of winning and deciding games wasn't getting the job done. Granted he only played in 5 games and I think Burke just didn't want him there to start with so it was an easy fix for them, but I would not write this team off so quick. They still have Selanne who is having a great re-bound season after Colorado. He has 9 goals and 9 assists in 18 games, which puts him on pace for an 82 point season. Lupal has 8 goals. Problem is there isn't much after those two.

Burke is an idiot and is building a team on the old NHL and it isn't working. But if teams like LA, Dallas, San Jose, Phoenix etc. just write them off then we could be in big trouble.

Old
11-16-2005, 09:51 AM
starshockeyfan56

well, this division sure is fun to watch isn't it?

I'll admit that I totally underestimated the kings! But, I still think the stars will win the division. They are finally playing like the team I was hoping they would be this season, and if...when...they win tonight, they will be tied with LA for the division lead.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:25 AM
braincramp

With about 25% of the season gone, it's interesting to look back on the predictions made on this thread. Curiously, the division standings seem to be almost the reverse of what many posters thought: The favored Sharks and the well-regarded Ducks are now at the bottom of the division, and the lowly Kings now lead the division.

Anyone care to explain why, or to provide new predictions based on what you've seen thus far? Or tell us why you were right all along?

Old
11-23-2005, 03:55 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp
With about 25% of the season gone, it's interesting to look back on the predictions made on this thread. Curiously, the division standings seem to be almost the reverse of what many posters thought: The favored Sharks and the well-regarded Ducks are now at the bottom of the division, and the lowly Kings now lead the division.

Anyone care to explain why, or to provide new predictions based on what you've seen thus far? Or tell us why you were right all along?
My original predictions:

1) San Jose Sharks (~ 100 points)
2) Dallas Stars (~ 98 points)
3) Anaheim Mighty Ducks (~ 94 points)
4) Phoenix Coyotes (~ 92 points)
5) Los Angeles Kings (~ 90 points)

I had all teams reaching respective point totals and all could make the playoffs. I still think the season is too early for my predictions to change them..

For example, for the current 1st placed Kings to reach my 90 point projection, they would still have to accumulate about 60 points, which equals 30 wins (or 25 wins and 5 OT losses). There's still so much that could happen in that span that I'm not going to change anything just yet.

I'll re-arrange my standings at the half way mark, if need be.

Old
11-26-2005, 06:46 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp

Well for a Coyotes defense that was "a mess" and "really not impressive" its the best in the Pacific so far. Looks like I was right on that score. Always dangerous to claim a player like Cujo is "past his prime" too.

The biggest surprise to me has been the Stars - lots of speed and adapted very quickly to the new rules.

Old
11-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Llewzaher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll
Well for a Coyotes defense that was "a mess" and "really not impressive" its the best in the Pacific so far. Looks like I was right on that score. Always dangerous to claim a player like Cujo is "past his prime" too.

The biggest surprise to me has been the Stars - lots of speed and adapted very quickly to the new rules.
Yeah Ballard , and Malak ,sure were nice suprises this year. I know everyone thinks the coyotes have goaltending problems this year , b ut Cujo has won games for the Yotes at times .The problem the Yotes have to quit relying on Cujo , and start getting some shots on net . I know Cujo likes it like this he prefers more shots , but there has to be more of a balance . Having said that the Yotes have only lost 2 games by more than 1 goal all year .(Most have been 1 goal games ) And there has been very few games with over 3 goals against .it is also nice to see the rookie David LeNeveau doing so good .
It will sure be an interesting division thats for sure , I think it is too early to see which way it is going to go , but it will be entertaining

Old
01-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Update half way mark..

The Sharks will no doubt enjoy a better second half than the first half, but for them to win the Pacific as I predicted will be utterly hard. They have 2 games in hand over the Stars and Ducks, 3 over the Coyotes and 5 over the Los Angeles Kings, so things will definitely become more exciting in the upcoming half, but whether they can be a threat for the Stars and Kings remains to be seen.

I expect the Ducks to fall. I don't see them having the weapons you would need for a strong 2nd half and push for an eventual playoff spot. I'm not writing them off completely, but I don't see them as a threat no more, not with the way we've handled them this season, either.

The Kings remain annoying and are arguably the Stars most difficult opponent they've faced all season. We still have 3 games left against them, they should determine the fate of the Pacific Division.

The Yotes are moving along as I expected them to. Inconsistent, and with chemestry as the main problem. Shane Doan needs to step it up big time may the Yotes have a realistic shot at the playoffs. The competition is just too strong, and unfortunately, they aren't playing in the Central Division. They will face the Stars, Kings and Sharks about 12 times more during the second half.

Closed Thread