HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Roenick on Cechmanek

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 08:14 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
Just be glad he did not mention East or West Germany.

Old
10-07-2003, 08:16 AM
shveik

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Another point.

It was certainly a dumb comment for Roenick to make, absolutely no upside for him, but I will say that if the NHL had more players like Roenick, Hull, Holik etc. it would make the game more marketable.

Also for those that think his teammates don't like him because of how outspoken he is, you couldn't be more wrong. The other players on the team love him for it. He takes the heat off of them.
Please do not compare Roenick to guys like Hull, Mogilny, etc. When those guys speak, it's obvious that they got some grey mass between their ears. Jeremy, while a wonderful hockey talent, comes across as a narcissistic a** on camera and paper. He should take to heart Abraham Lincoln's quote: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Old
10-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Evilo

vCash: 632
Well I guess he didn't smash any olympic room this time...
so you see it could be worse...

Old
10-07-2003, 08:35 AM
JCD

JR shouldn't worry about Cechmanek as much as he should worry about his own performance.

Cechmanek's bad games was but one of several reasons the Flyers were beaten by Ottawa last year. Sitting higher on the list is an absolutely pathetic offense which had a woeful PP and couldn't manage more than 2 goals in a game.

The scapegoat attitude shown by JR is precisely why the Flyers are no more than play-off speedbumps.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Absolut

I don't like either player, but JR's lack of class is truly astounding.

Old
10-07-2003, 11:07 AM
scarecrow

why is everybody down on JR for that comment? It was in all Philly newspapers that before the playoffs, Cechmanek had bought a plane ticket home for the day game 7 vs Toronto was due! What's wrong with the comment then?

Where does this idea come from that Roenick is a no-show in the playoffs? 118 playof games: 47g, 56a, 103pts +18

for his time in Philadelphia, like stated above:

Year #1. Roenick tore his ACL with 10 games to go in the season. He only returned because it was the playoffs, he was playing on one leg.
+ his mother-in-law was dying from cancer at the time

Year #2. Hitch matched him up against Sundin, and Roenick outscored Sundin. He tore his tricep muscle last in the Toronto series and couldn't shoot the puck after that. + he played through a concussion, courtesy of Darcy Tucker.

lots of people don't like him but be a little bit objective in evaluating him. I know lots of Leaf fans don't like him but have plenty of respect for him after last year's playoffs

Old
10-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Teezax

Like John Flyers Fan said, and I agree completely, the NHL has got to find ways to market their product better. It is no shock why the NFL makes so much money, there is always someone bad mouthing someone else. Like the whole Shockey and Parcells scuffle. Sometimes things need to be said to the media to get the fans intereste din watching. I know a lot of people are goign to watch the Flyers and The Kings this year just because of that comment. They want to see what Cecho is going to bring to the table against his former team. I say let the man speak!

They mic him for a reason!!!!!

Old
10-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
One time Cechmanek went upstairs to tell Bobby Clarke that the Flyers players were tanking some of their games on purpose just to get the coach fired (the one before Hitchcock) and when the players found out that Cechmanek did that they started aiming for his head with pucks at their next game day practice and since then he's had a very cold relationship with the rest of the players on that Flyers squad......it was best for him to change teams and start off fresh somewhere else.

Where did you get this from? I have heard that they wanted to get rid of Barber, in fact it's well know, but I find it hard to believe that they actually tanked games.

The part that really doesn't make sense is Chechmanek going to Clarke. We all know that Barber was Clarke's boy, so shouldn't this action benefitted Roman somehow. Or is it simply a case of Clarke having to find scapegoats(Chechmanek, Barber) in order to keep his job?

Old
10-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Semenko

I'm a long time Flyers fan. But, I've been living in SoCal for 4 years now. I go to Kings games fairly often because they are the only team in SoCal that isn't based on a kids movie.

I'm not really a Kings fan. I don't wear a kings Jersey, I don't really cheer for them. But, I do show up to watch hockey. I'd have to say objectively that Chimpanic has a lot to prove.

He is really large. I think he wears Gigueres uniform, but it actually fits without all the BS cheating pads. If his skill are real I think he has a chance to embarass the entire Philly organization. If he doesn't, then he is what he is. About a top 8-15 goalie in the league, which still isn't bad considering what the Kings picked him up for.

------------------------------
Dave

Would you cheer for the Angels if they were called the Bad News Bears?

Old
10-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Disco Volante

I don't see the problem with JR's comment. I mean, I've been defending Cechmanek from crap like this from the day I've been registered here... I don't see why JR couldn't hold the same opinion on his former teammate that we find mostly everywhere in the media.

Suddenly it's crap and classless because it comes from another player? He's not the first to go low on Chimpanik's (oh my... ) case...

Old
10-08-2003, 01:30 AM
lux_interior

Quote:
I'd have to say objectively that Chimpanic has a lot to prove.

Somehow, I have trouble believing you are objective, when you refer to Chechmanek as "Chimpanic."

Old
10-08-2003, 02:54 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Isn't this the same Jermey Roenick who choose Philly over Detroit because of goaltending back in the summer of 2001??

Detroit two days later get a call from Buffalo offering up Hasek for dirt cheap.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:18 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Isn't this the same Jermey Roenick who choose Philly over Detroit because of goaltending back in the summer of 2001??
It didn't have anything to do with goaltending.

Old
10-08-2003, 04:25 AM
rodvinge

Send a message via ICQ to rodvinge Send a message via AIM to rodvinge
Thank God he did. JR wearing the winged wheel....?

Old
10-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow
why is everybody down on JR for that comment?
Simple. Even if Roenik is right, it's very unprofessional to say things like that about your former teammate. JR and any other player should just worry about his own game. Criticizing other people is not his job.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:11 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
You're right. I guess geography is out of the question. My mistake.
Well I'm sure JR made sure his agent contacted teams in Yugoslavia and the USSR in case the owners lock out the players in 2004-05.

10-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

At least J.R. knows he's shooting from the hip:

"I will always be mic'd up a couple times a year. Thanks, I appreciate you listening to me ... even if the stuff that comes out of my mouth is a bunch of crap. I really enjoy it."

Old
10-08-2003, 06:21 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19

Detroit two days later get a call from Buffalo offering up Hasek for dirt cheap.
It is my understanding that JR got a call from Clarkie, while on a dinner dat with Wings' GM Ken Holland, and put a multi-year deal on the table of 8.5 mill per. He thanked Ken for the dinner (free meal) and immediately signed for the Orange and Black. Haha, he was quoted as saying he chose Philly because of the intimidating fans and arena. He said how it was always scray to play in Philadelphia and he wanted to be a part of that type of organization.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:36 AM
PELUSO44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shveik
He should take to heart Abraham Lincoln's quote: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

That was Mark Twains quote

Old
10-08-2003, 06:40 AM
PELUSO44

All this Roenick bashing is great and all but everyo one of you people would LOVE to have him or a player similar to him on your team.

He can Fight, hit, score, pass and play defence at an allstar level every year.

Old
10-08-2003, 06:40 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
It is my understanding that JR got a call from Clarkie, while on a dinner dat with Wings' GM Ken Holland, and put a multi-year deal on the table of 8.5 mill per. He thanked Ken for the dinner (free meal) and immediately signed for the Orange and Black. Haha, he was quoted as saying he chose Philly because of the intimidating fans and arena. He said how it was always scray to play in Philadelphia and he wanted to be a part of that type of organization.

It was reported after he signed, Roenick said one of the reason he choose Philly was because of goaltending. Osgood was still in Detroit after a disappointing loss to the Kings.

It was a factor, money was about the same between both clubs

Closed Thread