HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Berard on the blue line?

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 10:52 AM
jofa

vCash: 500
Berard on the blue line?

The Boston Bruins have just revoked their previous offer of $1.8 million to Berard, which he had now indicated he would be interested in accepting. Anyone else think he's worth at least a $1.8 million offer from Lowe?

Even with his eye injury, Berard is a tremendous offensive defenseman who could be a key cog in the Oiler's powerplay and play a lot of minutes, taking some of the load off of Brewer. Last season he played 80 games in Boston, scoring 10g and 28a (compared to Brewer's last season totals of 80gp, 8g and 21a).

I'd feel pretty comfortable with the top six defensemen being Brewer, Berard, Semenov, Smith, Staios and Cross. Its a good mix of youth and experience, offensive and defensive players, and size.

Old
10-07-2003, 11:06 AM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
The Boston Bruins have just revoked their previous offer of $1.8 million to Berard, which he had now indicated he would be interested in accepting. Anyone else think he's worth at least a $1.8 million offer from Lowe?

Even with his eye injury, Berard is a tremendous offensive defenseman who could be a key cog in the Oiler's powerplay and play a lot of minutes, taking some of the load off of Brewer. Last season he played 80 games in Boston, scoring 10g and 28a (compared to Brewer's last season totals of 80gp, 8g and 21a).

I'd feel pretty comfortable with the top six defensemen being Brewer, Berard, Semenov, Smith, Staios and Cross. Its a good mix of youth and experience, offensive and defensive players, and size.
The Bruins have the right to match any offer within X% of his arbitration award. (X being something like 20%, but I'm not entirely sure that I'm accurate.)

The Bruins are playing hardball with Berard, but they'd instantly match the 1.8 figure if they had to. I will be shocked if he plays anywhere other than Boston this year.

Old
10-07-2003, 11:15 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85
The Bruins have the right to match any offer within X% of his arbitration award. (X being something like 20%, but I'm not entirely sure that I'm accurate.)

The Bruins are playing hardball with Berard, but they'd instantly match the 1.8 figure if they had to. I will be shocked if he plays anywhere other than Boston this year.
I think it's around $2.05M that is the lower end of what teams can offer without a match from Boston. I wonder if Lowe could sign Berard for $2.2M and then sign him to a two year extension for $1.6M and $1.9M (ala Moreau). Three years at an average of $1.9M wouldn't be too bad. First year would be higher to allow for the arbitration rules, second year is low to allow for an averaging down effect, and the third year would be a bit higher as a good faith measure to Berard.

Old
10-07-2003, 11:16 AM
jofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85

Yeah, they would have the option of matching a $1.8 million offer, but they are saying in the news that they no longer have the budget available to make that offer to Berard. I'd say its about 50/50 whether or not they would match that offer, as they could have him signed by now if they really wanted him in the lineup.

Old
10-07-2003, 11:35 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I think we should go for it. A blue line of

Brewer - Berard
Smith -Semenov
Staois - Cross

Bergeron

That doesn't look too bad at all.

Old
10-07-2003, 12:14 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I think we should go for it. A blue line of

Brewer - Berard
Smith -Semenov
Staois - Cross

Bergeron

That doesn't look too bad at all.
I like the look of that blueline, But I think we missed the boat on Tverdovsky

Old
10-07-2003, 12:20 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I think it's around $2.05M that is the lower end of what teams can offer without a match from Boston. I wonder if Lowe could sign Berard for $2.2M and then sign him to a two year extension for $1.6M and $1.9M (ala Moreau). Three years at an average of $1.9M wouldn't be too bad. First year would be higher to allow for the arbitration rules, second year is low to allow for an averaging down effect, and the third year would be a bit higher as a good faith measure to Berard.
Clever!

Old
10-07-2003, 12:33 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
Yeah, they would have the option of matching a $1.8 million offer, but they are saying in the news that they no longer have the budget available to make that offer to Berard. I'd say its about 50/50 whether or not they would match that offer, as they could have him signed by now if they really wanted him in the lineup.
We'll agree to disagree. I think that Boston is basically putting the screws to him...I think that the budget would "magically" increase if they had match an offer.

Old
10-07-2003, 01:09 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Sign Berard with some of the money that we have thanks to no Comrie - and then trade Comrie for a first rounder, or some great prospects or something! Some Oilers magic perhaps could suck out a career year for him and we'd have a guy that would eliminate the need for Bergeron. Berard would REALLY make our blueline look REALLY solid!

Old
10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
theoil

A guy that can really play top 4 minutes would sure help me sleep better at night. Right now I am not at all convinced.

Closed Thread