HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just a Thought: Simpson as Oilers head coach

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 05:07 PM
GorillazXL

vCash: 500
Just a Thought: Simpson as Oilers head coach

I know I'm way ahead of myself, but wouln't Simpson make a good head coach for the Oilers. If things work out with Simmer as an assistant coach would'nt he make a pretty good coach in a couple of years?Seeing how this organization has always prided itself on icing a high scoring ofeensive minded team, wouldn't Simpson be a pretty good model for the players to follow? I like Mac T but he likes a more conservative type of game.

GXL

Old
10-06-2003, 05:11 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
I know I'm way ahead of myself, but wouln't Simpson make a good head coach for the Oilers. If things work out with Simmer as an assistant coach would'nt he make a pretty good coach in a couple of years?Seeing how this organization has always prided itself on icing a high scoring ofeensive minded team, wouldn't Simpson be a pretty good model for the players to follow? I like Mac T but he likes a more conservative type of game.

GXL
It could be a possibility down the road. If the new CBA is fair to teams like the Oilers then the Oilers will be more offensive down the road so I could see it happening.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:17 PM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
It could be a possibility down the road. If the new CBA is fair to teams like the Oilers then the Oilers will be more offensive down the road so I could see it happening.
I don't see Simpson being tough enough to be a head coach. I think he is a perfect assistant - always optimistic, easy going, he can focus on specific skills, etc.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Allan

I can see him taking Billy "I don't remember that play" Moores' job, but not MacTavish's.

Old
10-06-2003, 05:28 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

We'll see how he does as an assistant first.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:14 PM
jadeddog

yeah lets see how he does as an assistant before we hand him the head job

personally, i will consider simpson a success this year if he can get the oilers PP in the top 10 or so in the league overall, because thats why he was brought in.... if he doesnt do that i will consider it a failure

Old
10-07-2003, 03:13 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL

GXL
Well... I agree with the "baby steps" approach.

I had Simmer pegged as a coach while he was playing. Then he went in front of the camera and showed us how intelligent he was "off the ice". As time went on, I started thinking he liked what he was doing and so I kind of gave up on him coaching. Now I say, It's just a matter of time and experiences behind the bench. He will be a head coach... Someday.

Old
10-07-2003, 03:27 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
personally, i will consider simpson a success this year if he can get the oilers PP in the top 10 or so in the league overall, because thats why he was brought in.... if he doesnt do that i will consider it a failure
I'd say this might be a little ambitious... just because there are a couple of factors that Simpson can't control (namely that there are probably more than 10 clubs with better PP personnel, and that the situation with Comrie is out of his hands).

That said, I think that the Oilers should expect to be in the top 15... and I would consider it a failure if it is not.

Old
10-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
We'll see how he does as an assistant first.
That's what I'd do. He sounds like a smart hockey man on SportsNet though.

Old
10-07-2003, 04:28 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
That said, I think that the Oilers should expect to be in the top 15... and I would consider it a failure if it is not.
Wanting the Oilers to finish in the top 4 in the WC and top 8 across the league, the powerplay needs to be 8th or 9th, so as not to hinder conference success in attaining home ice advantage in round one of the playoffs.

This is not, I repeat, this is not just another building year. The Oilers are close to the right mix. In my opinion, hiring Simpson was a good move. Last year Lowe pointed how close the Oilers were to the next and final step of the players realizing that this young team could win in the playoffs.

Those that have read my various posts on some of the other boards know I've been critical of the Oilers' Coaching staff and in particular Coach Craig. But he was given help in the area in which the Oilers were struggling. I reserve my overall judgement for 15 or 20 games and hope for the best. But players have to go to the net and cause havoc there in this league to score goals. The opposition has to feel continously pressured before breakdowns occur on their respective team PK's. The leisurely approach to the PP should be a thing of the past. If the PP does nothing else it should at least tire out and bruise up the other teams' penalty killers.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:56 PM
barto

I think top-10 PP is VERY ambitious, and probably unrealistic. That's a huge jump from last year, and I don't see how we could jump over so many other teams in just one season. If we do, of course it would be HUGE, but I wouldn't expect it. Top 15 would be just fine in my books - think about the difference that would likely make in a few games compared to last year, AND in the playoffs!! <drool>

Bart

Old
10-07-2003, 09:31 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Wanting the Oilers to finish in the top 4 in the WC and top 8 across the league, the powerplay needs to be 8th or 9th, so as not to hinder conference success in attaining home ice advantage in round one of the playoffs.

This is not, I repeat, this is not just another building year. The Oilers are close to the right mix. In my opinion, hiring Simpson was a good move. Last year Lowe pointed how close the Oilers were to the next and final step of the players realizing that this young team could win in the playoffs.

Those that have read my various posts on some of the other boards know I've been critical of the Oilers' Coaching staff and in particular Coach Craig. But he was given help in the area in which the Oilers were struggling. I reserve my overall judgement for 15 or 20 games and hope for the best. But players have to go to the net and cause havoc there in this league to score goals. The opposition has to feel continously pressured before breakdowns occur on their respective team PK's. The leisurely approach to the PP should be a thing of the past. If the PP does nothing else it should at least tire out and bruise up the other teams' penalty killers.
This is true, but we shouldn't be expecting the moon either, or else we will be setting ourselves up for disappointment. Some people here are wayyy to optimistic about the season IMHO.

There were some good teams that weren't in the top 15 PP last year, including NJD who were dead last.... however they were first overall in PK.

The Oil were 19th on both PK and PP, and they made the playoffs. If they can keep the even strength goals on par and get up to the top 15 in both PK and PP - it should translate in to about 6 more goals for, 5 less goals against, and if the stars are aligned right, maybe an extra 6 points. That wouldn't be too bad with this team methinks.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Digger12

If the PP can get in the top 10-15, that would be a definite improvement and would look very good on Simpson.

More than the PP help he should bring though, I really like the enthusiasm he's bringing to the ice. Every time I see him on the ice teaching something to the players he's got this look like he lost his virginity the night before.

The players seem to be listening too.

Old
10-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I would put myself in the cautiously optimistic catergory.

I guess i can some it up in 4 words...

"we have the tools"........

Old
10-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
That's what I'd do. He sounds like a smart hockey man on SportsNet though.
Sounds like a jack*** in NHL2004... Sorry, I have nothing against the guy, he's good on Sportsnet, and a good hockey guy, but EA horribly horribly screwed this up.

BRING BACK DON TAYLOR AND HIS STUPID JOKES! That's why 2002 rocked. My favourite line was about Susie and the top-shelf acne cream. (We had a friend's mom was named Susie. haha)

Old
10-07-2003, 11:31 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
MrMackey[/b]]Some people here are wayyy to optimistic about the season IMHO

You could be right because "optimism" is one of my middle names. But I've noticed our human nature allows even elite athletes to perform to just slightly less than stated performance expectations. That's why coaches are always asking for 110% effort and for players to reach new heights.

Personal bests are hard to achieve and setting the bar high makes reaching slightly lower heights seem more achieveable. You can't become the best by just trying to be slightly better. Talent is 10% natural gifts 90% hardwork, sweat and tears. Oh and the next 70%, or more, is mental effort and belief in oneself--that elusive self-confidence. Yogi Bera knew that the sum of the parts never did add up to the whole and every individual was different. But team goals must compell striving for excellence and not just croak a toadying for acceptable improvement.

Am I a fan who will be happy just to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs? The only answer is no ... because if the collective fan base says yes, then that is only as far as the Oilers will get this year or worse!

I sorry I want and expect better!!! And this isn't just petulance; it is patience worn thin with years of missed opportunity. Our future is in our presence, attend to the here and now and good things happen. It so happens that I believe the Oilers can be in the top 10 (or better) on the PP. Now if the coaches would start believing it and the fan base demanded it, maybe the players might come to believe it possible too!

Only that which seems possible is doable! Ya Oilers top 10 both on the PK and PP ... it's doable.

Closed Thread