HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Make Roster Moves, Team ALMOST Set:

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 12:41 PM
TubbyTerrion*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Kings Make Roster Moves, Team ALMOST Set:

DUSTIN BROWN has officially been signed.

LUBOS BARTECKO is still in limbo, though reports of him being offered a two-way contract seem substantiated.

MAXIM KUZNETSOV is still in limbo, though if they assign him to Manchester on a conditioning assignment, he is not subject to waivers unless they don't recall him when the conditioning period expires.

Sent to Manchester
RYAN FLINN - Left Wing
DENIS GREBESHKOV - Defenseman
MILAN HNILICKA - Goaltender
BRYAN MUIR - Defenseman
JERRED SMITHSON - Center
TOMAS ZIZKA - Defenseman

So... here they are, YOUR LOS ANGELES KINGS:

Goal: Cechmanek, Huet

Defense: Corvo, Modry, Norstrom, Visnovsky, Gleason, Holland, Strbak
(and Miller, whose status is questionable until Tuesday's final roster)

Forward: Stumpel, Palffy, Frolov, Robitaille, Armstrong, Klatt, Avery, Laperriere, Belanger, Chartrand, Pirnes, Sim, Brown, Brennan
(and of course, if Bartecko is signed and if Deadmarsh is not placed on IR, further pruning is necessary.)

IR: Aulin, Cammalleri, Allison, Norton (and probably Deadmarsh, maybe Miller.)

Old
10-04-2003, 12:53 PM
willie

DT has dropped the ball on defense thus far.

Gleason? Holland? Strbak? Brutal.

We NEEDED at least 1 reliable defenseman before training camp started. And we also know Miller can't be counted on for an entire 82 game schedule.

So what has he done to rectify the problem? Nothing.

I am content with our forwards (healthy anyway) but our defense looks brutal. I am really not impressed with DT's handling of the situation.

7/8 seed. First round loss. Yipee.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:58 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
Sent to Manchester
RYAN FLINN - Left Wing

what a surprise with this team
Being able to skate is a prerequisite of being an NHL hockey player.

Old
10-04-2003, 01:06 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
I forgot that this is the same team that Andy Sutton loves to play against.
How does Rullier not make this team? Is he that bad of a prospect?
Rullier is about #10 or #11 on the Kings defensive depth chart. Going from prospect to suspect over the course of his career.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:33 PM
MOOSE55

Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
The only move that surprises me is Flinn being sent down instead of Brennen.....like it was said in a earlier thread, Brennen and Flinn are there for one reason, and it isn't to score. Flinn is more feared, and more well liked by the fan base.

Grebs and Cammy(injury excluded) only lost spots on the roster because of injury. I'm happy that Gleason made the team, with the camp he had, he deserved it. DT wanted a d-man with bite, well here it is, a guy that plays a Rob Blake game, that didn't cost us anything.

Yes the defense is a big ????, but give them a couple of weeks before you start whinning. If it doesn't work then we make a trade.....it's that SIMPLE!......we're stocked at forward and have one of the best farm systems in the league to bargin with.

We had 3 holes comming in to this season.....goaltending, top6/2nd line center, and defense......We got 2 out of 3, and we should be happy with that considering we've done much less in other offseasons. Cechmanek is an improvement, Stumpel is our top 6/#2 center (at least when he plays with Palffy), plus we got Luc back who might be a top 6 and might not, but he plays like he did in camp then I believe he is. Plus we got another bonus in Klatt who is a solid guy on any team....we also brought in Hnilicka to further solidify the goaltending incase the bug hits the goalies as well. I believe that DT has no problem with the D we have and considering some of his magical work in the past, I'll trust him. I think we should give the D a chance.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

No shock to see Gleason still here, the Kings love this guy, he should be in the lineup opening night, if Miller is healthy I assume they send Holland down and use Strbak as the #7 guy. If Miller isn't healthy, I assume Strbak will be the #6 guy until Miller gets back.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:06 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
We NEEDED at least 1 reliable defenseman before training camp started. And we also know Miller can't be counted on for an entire 82 game schedule.
i hear you willie...we should have picked up a player in the waiver draft yesterday.

10-04-2003, 03:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
where does it say dustin brown signed?

Old
10-04-2003, 03:58 PM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
No shock to see Gleason still here, the Kings love this guy, he should be in the lineup opening night, if Miller is healthy I assume they send Holland down and use Strbak as the #7 guy. If Miller isn't healthy, I assume Strbak will be the #6 guy until Miller gets back.
i was actually surprised that he's been this good. reports fomr various sources i'd heard over the summer pointed toward him not being close to ready.

go kim johnsson: dustin brown signing was mentioned in today's los angeles times.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:11 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
i hear you willie...we should have picked up a player in the waiver draft yesterday.
It didn't have to be yesterday. He has had all bloody summer.

Guys like Boughner, Warrener, Numminem, Sydor, Skrastins, Markov, Wesley, Klee, Marchment etc. have all changed addresses and all would have definetly helped solidify our defense.

DT even admitted to us needed a defensman. What he does do? Tries to pass off Gleason, a kid, and Norton, a mediocre NHL defenseman at best, as our "banging" defenseman.

Quote:
Yes the defense is a big ????, but give them a couple of weeks before you start whinning. If it doesn't work then we make a trade.....it's that SIMPLE!......
Thats logical.

Just throw a bunch of completely unproven kids/career minor leaguers on the ice and hope they can hold the fort??

Points lost at the start of the year could be the difference between a division title and 6th place. Or a playoff spot or another missed playoffs.

Not to mention it always takes a while for new players to get accustomed to a team. Remember Jason Allison's first 10 games in LA? But if you add them during the SUMMER (gasp!) they have time to get accustomed to the team BEFORE the games mean something.

Quote:
Cechmanek is an improvement
Indeed he is. But acquiring Cechmanek has nothing to do with DT failing to acquire a defenseman.

Quote:
Stumpel is our top 6/#2 center
He is our replacement for Smolinski. An upgrade, yes, but not a top-6 addition.

The role of our promised "top-6" forward goes to the duo of Robitaille/Klatt. Which I wouldn't mind, if Allison and Deadmarsh were healthy.

Instead Taylor tried to assure fans that JA and AD would be ready for the opener knowing damn well their status. If nothing else, he does deserve criticism for misleading fans. But, again, this has nothing to do with DT failing to acquire a defenseman.

Quote:
We got 2 out of 3, and we should be happy with that considering we've done much less in other offseasons.

Quote:
I believe that DT has no problem with the D we have and considering some of his magical work in the past, I'll trust him.
Huh? The man has NEVER won a Stanley Cup. Ever.

I'm not doubting that he is not a good GM. (hell, maybe even a great one)

But he has yet to make 'A' single, solitary move during his tenure that would involve considerable risk with the intention of putting a Stanley Cup team on the ice. Not one.

Playing it safe, is NOT always playing it smart.

Quote:
I think we should give the D a chance.
Just like we should have given the kids "a chance" last year at being our top-6 forward answers.

And they combined for, what, 20 goals? That sure worked out.

Old
10-04-2003, 05:10 PM
spudboy

Stumpel is the top six.

Yes, he is a replacement for Smoke.

DT said after the year was over he wanted to get a top six. He didn't say a replacement for Smoke and a top six.

As for defense, he said he was looking for a defenseman "with some bite", not a "banging" defenseman. Personally, I think this was his way of using the public to pressure Norton into signing (the alternative was other dman without jobs would start calling/faxing DT). Norton signed almost immediately after.

I have never worried about dmen since AM's first year. It's the one area he has excelled at. Forwards, on the other hand, have been severely lacking every single year, mainly because of a lack of talent, but partly because of AM making lousy choices on who he keeps and how he uses them. This year, though, the forward situation looks way better than ever, even with the injuries.

Old
10-04-2003, 05:34 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudboy

DT said after the year was over he wanted to get a top six. He didn't say a replacement for Smoke and a top six.
He has, however, in the past stated he wanted to get a top-6 forward. (when we had Smolinski)

He has continually failed to deliver and only added a (borderline) top-6 forward in Stumpel AFTER he traded away 1 of other our top-6 forwards.

Debate sematics all you want but Stumpel is still just a replacement for Smolinski. We needed a top-6 forward before we traded Smoke. We needed 2 afterwards. We got 1. Whether DT said he was going to get 2 or not is irrelevant. It has been a need regardless.

Quote:
As for defense, he said he was looking for a defenseman "with some bite", not a "banging" defenseman
*sigh* Want to tell me the difference?

Quote:
I have never worried about dmen since AM's first year. It's the one area he has excelled at.
He had the personal. This year he doesn't.

Quote:
This year, though, the forward situation looks way better than ever, even with the injuries.
Huh?

Frolov - Stumpel - Palffy
Robitaille - Armstrong - Klatt

This is "WAY BETTER THAN EVER"?

When healthy, we have a very good forward core.

Unhealthy (as is the case), we are pretty average. (if that)

Old
10-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:

Very average

If Deader and Ally come back play 60+ each, and we add a defenseman we are in great shape...

Old
10-04-2003, 06:36 PM
MOOSE55

Quote:
He has, however, in the past stated he wanted to get a top-6 forward. (when we had Smolinski)

He has continually failed to deliver and only added a (borderline) top-6 forward in Stumpel AFTER he traded away 1 of other our top-6 forwards.

Debate sematics all you want but Stumpel is still just a replacement for Smolinski. We needed a top-6 forward before we traded Smoke. We needed 2 afterwards. We got 1. Whether DT said he was going to get 2 or not is irrelevant. It has been a need regardless.

*sigh* Want to tell me the difference?

He had the personal. This year he doesn't.

Huh?

Hate to break it to ya Willie, but the kings aren't the Red Wings or Avs......you know our payroll and that we're not going to go much over it....we can't have everything we want. It was known before the summer what the payroll was and that the kings weren't going to increase that payroll very much......a top 6 that you're talking about would cost 4-6 million/year.....we don't have that....we added Stumpel who in YOUR opinion isn't a top 6, he is in mine(was top 6 in Boston too)
Yes he wouldn't be top 6 on the Avs but like I said this isn't the Avs. And your right, he does replace smoke.

I know your skeptic about Frolov but he's only gonna get better. We couldn't afford to be in the "top 6" your talking about so we bring back Luc who is a fringe top 6. He had a bad year in Detroit but I think it had something to do with playing on 3rd/4th lines. Anyway he's had a good training camp, always played good in the past for us, and is capable of scoring 50+. He you can't say that Luc can't surprise, he's been doing it his whole career. He has 1 or 2 years left tops, but he have Cammy/Aulin/Brown all waiting to step in.

Also there's alot of contracts up this year likeeadmarsh/Allison/Palffy.
You gotta make sure there's still money in the piggy bank to sign your core players. I would've liked it if the kings signed a good D-man in the offseason too, but they didn't, the felt it was more important to solidify our goaltending and for the first time in like 6 years have more than 1 line that can score. I feel the prospects playing D are better than YOU believe and apparently AM and DT think so to. Corvo is only getting better, Miller won't miss too much and him and Norstrom are solid. Despite what people say about Modry, he's put up top 2 D-man type #'s the last 2 seasons. Visnovsky puts up decent #'s as well. Yes it's not the Red Wings but it's average. Modry/Visnovsky/Miller/Norstrom/Corvo;
these are a decent top 5 in my mind. That leaves one spot. Gleason had a great camp and management is stuck on him, Grebs was a machine until he got injured, Zizka filled the role last year, Holland is still around, and then there's Kuznetsov. 2 years ago our defense put up the 2nd most points in the league. Yes we've lost Schnieder and Boucher. Corvo's offensive potential has to be close to Boucher's and no we can't really make up for Schneider. But despite these loses we should still rank in the middle on D as far as offense goes. Defense, there's no question we're a top 10 defensive team. We won't make up offensively for Schnieders loss (this year anyway), defensively we should be just as good or better. Someone will step up to fill the #6 spot. Our offensive #'s on D will go down but on offense will go up....we have 4 solid lines for once and the first 3 can score. It will be a slow start with injuries but there's nothing we can do to help it.....you got work with what you have.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:32 PM
willie

First off, I do think Stumpel is a top-6 forward. Just not a particularly special one.

And, when healthy, I really like our forwards. Problem is we aren't healthy and likely wont be all year long.

Quote:
Defense, there's no question we're a top 10 defensive team.
Total BS. Our defense corps is NOWHERE near top 10 in the league. Even when you factor in our overall team defense, you can NOT (without looking like a complete homer) claim we are "without question" a top 10 defensive team.

Quote:
Someone will step up to fill the #6 spot.
Just like the Kids all stepped and filled our offensive void last year, right?

Quote:
the felt it was more important to solidify our goaltending
Which was a lateral move financially. We didn't add salary in nets by bringing in Roman.

Quote:
It was known before the summer what the payroll was and that the kings weren't going to increase that payroll very much......
We haven't increased at all. In fact, it is probably slightly less than last year.

Quote:
Miller won't miss too much
History isn't on his side. He is injury prone. Expecting him to play 75+ games is a reach.

Quote:
Modry/Visnovsky/Miller/Norstrom/Corvo; these are a decent top 5 in my mind.
Decent doesn't inspire much confidence.

Quite simply, we NEED another defenseman. There is no getting around it. There ARE (and were) options out there that would not break the bank. Nobody is saying we should go out and get Chris Pronger. But we do need someone with experience to solidify the defense core.

Look OBJECTIVELY at our defense core (just defensively):

Norstrom - A rock. You know what your getting.
Miller - Another rock. Health concerns.
Modry - A liability defensively.
Visnovsky - Tries hard but limited in effectiveness in own end.
Corvo - No glaring errors but is sitll unproven.
------------------------------------------------
Holland - Career Minor Leaguer.
Strbak - By all accounts, the second coming of Modry.
Gleason - 20 year old kid, known for mental gaffes in Junior.
Kuznetsov - Bum.

This defense is NOT impressive. At all.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Fedz

How does say a brent sopel, or bryan allen sound?

if your that in need of a dman!

Old
10-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Captain Ron

Willie, with all due respect, the regular season hasn't even started yet and you are acting as if the Kings are alreday in last place in their division.

Even though it was just pre-season the Kings average shots against per game was a little over 21.At the same time their shots for average was over 36 per game.Also the Kings GAA was 1.73 and GFA was 3.34.To me it looks like the defense isn't doing too bad.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:11 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

if stumpel is a replacement for smoke, a replacement, btw, i think is way better than the original, than we did "techincally" add a defender in Gleason. just becasue you don't think he's "proven" doens't mean he can't do the job. to tell u the truth, i thought he needed another year or two in manchester when i saw him in camp, but it seems as though he seems to be holding his own in the nHL.

not to mention one more thing, grebs may have been put down into manchester, but he will easily be one of the first ot pull up if there is any doubt in our current defenders. once grebs heals from his injury, he will probably challenge for a spot and win. the guy is solid, moreso than gleason. this much i have faith in.

edit: reading back a few posts, i dont know why u all like schneider so much. sure he was a GREAT powerplay QB, but defensively, he was a liability. he was never a great defensement and i was never comfortable with him in the back. now i'm not sayijng it will come true, but grebs has a potential to fill that schneider void. his shot is sniper and his pass is second to none. given a few years, he will be real good. so why trade for something we can get in a few years through our own system. plus, these kids need playing time, unproven or not, they need to start somewhere.

Old
10-05-2003, 11:13 AM
guzmania

I like what we have. Even the rookies.

I am of a mind that the guys we have starting the season with no NHL experience are, just the same, more experienced than the guys we had up last year. They have as a good a chance, if not a better, to make their mark.

Strbak is an older player with some chops learned in international competition. He was considered the best Euro d-man NOT playing in the NHL. While this guy is new to the NHL, the learning curve will be short IF he has the God-given talent to stay in the bigs. All indicators say he's a NHL quality 4-5-6 kind of player.

Pirnes' play has shown more in what five pre-season games than Bednar showed in a season and a half. Maybe it's luck but then again maybe it isn't. His Euro pro experience counts for something and will make the change to the NHL easier. Wildcard. The guy has chemistry with Brown.

Gleason has been a dominant player at all levels. He has played out his junior eligibility because of the contract squable with the Sens. Everyone thought that unless he was completely outstanding he'd start in Manchester. Maybe he would have if Miller wasn't hurt. But this guy has been drooling to play at the top level for a couple of years. I like the fact that the coaches think he's stepped up his play. He has a steeper learning curve than Martin and Esa but there is no reason to think he won't finish what is put on his plate. The next Pronger?

Brownie has brought his game to a new level. This kid will tear up the OHL if he is sent back after his ten games. Sometimes the challenge of making good is all that a guy needs. The kid has much to learn. But the proof is in the pudding (ummm pudding). If and when he slows down and the chances aren't happening for the line he's on then we should start to question moves made in September. You have got to believe that the managment knows lots that we don't and they are being forced by his play to let him stay. Easily the most exciting player in pre-season

As has been pointed out numerous times last years bunch of rookies did not fill the holes in the lineup as we were hoping. A realistic view on them might re-evaluate Aulin and Camalierri as players on the fringe, and Frolov as a NHLer who may or may not ever be a factor on the scoreboard. Cammy is small and might be a one trick pony, Aulin can't seem to get it in gear consistantly, and Alexander has to have more than one-dimensional offensive skills to realise his full potential. There was one guy who did step up and that was Joe Corvo. He did surprise everyone with his play. He would be hard to move out of the starting six. Color me ecstatic about that.

Also I have a question that has been begging to be asked. How long was Modry in need of shoulder surgery last year? If it was a condition suffered through for 50 or 60 games then the guy is a stud and is deserving our kudos and might have another all-star season or 2 in him.

We may not need any of the rooks that start the season up here in a couple of weeks. It would be just great to find out that we couldn't do without even one of these guys.

Hey, we're due. :p

Old
10-05-2003, 11:25 AM
no name

Quote:
Being able to skate is a prerequisite of being an NHL hockey player.
He cant even stay on his feet in a fight.

Old
10-05-2003, 12:57 PM
GoKingsGo28

vCash:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone will step up to fill the #6 spot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like the Kids all stepped and filled our offensive void last year, right?

Last year we asked the whole Monarch team to step up and fill the void, and there were only a few players that could. Players like Smithson cant fill the void. THATS HOW INJURED WE WERE. Now we are only asking for 1 player to fill the void. And I think Gleason or Strbak can that. Our defense isnt THAT bad.

Norstrom-Corvo
Visnovsky-Strbak (play good together)
Modry-Miller

Old
10-05-2003, 02:06 PM
MOOSE55

At least some people are being more realistic. Willie you sound like a leaf fan......want,want,want without looking at the whole picture. 2 years ago we had the #3 pk in the league.....like said earlier Schnieder isn't great defensively, he's not here now. We have a guy like Klatt who is good in those situations as well. Cechmanek is a improvement over Potvin. 2 years ago we were 6th for goal allowed. I think we're a better team than 2 years ago(minus injuries). AM is a defensive type of coach. So why don't you get your head out of your a** and tell me how saying we're a top 10 defensive team is total BS?

Old
10-05-2003, 04:13 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE55
At least some people are being more realistic. Willie you sound like a leaf fan......want,want,want without looking at the whole picture. 2 years ago we had the #3 pk in the league.....like said earlier Schnieder isn't great defensively, he's not here now. We have a guy like Klatt who is good in those situations as well. Cechmanek is a improvement over Potvin. 2 years ago we were 6th for goal allowed. I think we're a better team than 2 years ago(minus injuries). AM is a defensive type of coach. So why don't you get your head out of your a** and tell me how saying we're a top 10 defensive team is total BS?
willie's been here rooting for the kings as long as i can remember. i don't think he deserves this **** that you're giving him. just because he lives in ontario like you doesn't mean he's not a real kings fan. i could say the same thing about you. i happen to share some of willie's sentiments. does that mean you think i'm talking out of my ass? do me a favor and go get some kool aide and simmer down fella...dude we're fans, we all want whats best for our team. we won't share the same perspectives and you have to learn to respect others' opinion there dude.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:29 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
willie's been here rooting for the kings as long as i can remember. i don't think he deserves this **** that you're giving him. just because he lives in ontario like you doesn't mean he's not a real kings fan. i could say the same thing about you. i happen to share some of willie's sentiments. does that mean you think i'm talking out of my ass? do me a favor and go get some kool aide and simmer down fella...dude we're fans, we all want whats best for our team. we won't share the same perspectives and you have to learn to respect others' opinion there dude.

same goes for you, respect moose55's opinion. if you don't want ur opinion to be critiqued, than don't post it.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:07 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
same goes for you, respect moose55's opinion. if you don't want ur opinion to be critiqued, than don't post it.
i was not critiquing his opinion of the team...i was criticizing an uncalled for attack on willie...maybe you should read it again...

Closed Thread