Gillies32
Bennett=Gilmour

vCash: 827
How'd we do?

2014 draft

06-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Kranix

vCash: 500
I voted A because Bennett. He's the brass ring. I don't know or care about any of the other picks, too early.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:10 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

vCash: 50
Really happy with this draft. Mason McDonald is one of the best goalies available and fills a need — we didn't have a junior-aged goalie in the system until today. Hunter Smith is massive and seems to be trending upwards. And Bennett speaks for himself. Always liked Bolig, he's an upgrade over Westgarth and adds some size and grit to our bottom-six.

Don't know anything about the other guys so I can't comment, good or bad. We'll see where these guys all stack up in a few years.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Taranis

It's going to take some time for me to reflect on this draft. We got some great players, and ultimately the top player we wanted in Sam Bennett. Adam Ollas-Mattsson really interests me and I look forward to learning more about this young big Swed. I have to admit though, I expected more from our 2 second and third rounders. As well I thought we would be making some trades for picks in the top three rounds.

Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:18 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
I voted B only because we got Bennett. I wasn't really a fan of any of our other picks. It's way too early to tell though.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:22 PM
joeyabs
RicoFata'sLoveChild

vCash: 200
Would have rather swung for the fences with the last pick Jenys or Kase. Not huge on the trade either, could have picked up a decent prospect.

Bennett: A+
McDonald: B
Smith: C+
Hickey: B-
Mattsson: A
Carroll: C-

Last edited by joeyabs: 06-28-2014 at 02:31 PM.
joeyabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:40 PM
BacklundtoBartschi*

B+

Love: Bennett, McDonald, Ollas-Mattsson

Like: Smith

Don't know about: Hickey, Carroll

BacklundtoBartschi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:19 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Bennett - A+
McDonald - B+
Smith - B
Hickey B-
Ollas-Mattsson - A
Carroll - C

Overall: A- for me.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Taranis

1=bad 5=good

Bennett - 5
McDonald - 3
Smith - 3
Hickey - 2
Ollas-Mattsson - 4
Carroll - 2

Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Unkki

B for sure! There were couple of picks that I didn't like, but if we get a guy who could have been picked first overall with our 4th, this year's draft can't be worse than B. Especially Bennett and picking Matsson made me happy. Also very excited to see Smith's development in future. Great to see this kind of guy getting picked, who has beaten **** out of a Nuck prospect.

McDonald was meeh, because I feel defender's and forward's picking more media sexy, but McDonald too seems alright. I think that Hickey will be nice, has tons of potential from what I've heard.

So B is easy choice in this poll.

E:

Bennett 5/5
McDonald 3/5
Smith 4/5
Hickey 3/5
Ollas-Matsson 5/5
Carroll 3/5

Unkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:41 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
I've only heard of the first 3 picks, but I like em. I had said for a while I'd be down with picking McDonald or Demko in the 2nd and I'm really glad that we did. Hopefully Mac can play his way onto Team Canada this year.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Gillies32
Bennett=Gilmour

a great point that was raised by CP was Bennett, a 1/2 c and two bottom 6 power forwards (Smith Bolig) and perhaps a starting goalie (mcDonald) is a outstanding draft.

Gillies32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:54 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

B-. Really wish we took McKweon

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 02:55 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillies32 View Post
a great point that was raised by CP was Bennett, a 1/2 c and two bottom 6 power forwards (Smith Bolig) and perhaps a starting goalie (mcDonald) is a outstanding draft.
In the context of Calgary's needs, not a bad draft actually. Could reinforce the goalie depth, and really the fact is Calgary is one of the softer and smaller teams in the NHL. Still hoped for McKeown or even McInnis

Old
06-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The North View Post
B-. Really wish we took McKweon
I did to, I heard after though the knock on him is that he is good at everything but doesn't really excel at anything including his size, which is 6'0. That said, I would of loved to get him especially because he fell.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Bennett - A+
McDonald - B+
Smith - B
Hickey B-
Ollas-Mattsson - A
Carroll - C

Overall: A- for me.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to grade it.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:57 PM
tfong

Excluding Bennett, I gave our draft a B. Big skaters but not much in the high skill categories I think. I also didn't really like the McDonald pick based on stats.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 04:06 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hoxville View Post
I did to, I heard after though the knock on him is that he is good at everything but doesn't really excel at anything including his size, which is 6'0. That said, I would of loved to get him especially because he fell.
I think he just needs some direction and 3-4 more years, he could be something alone the lines of Vlasic

Old
06-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The North View Post
I think he just needs some direction and 3-4 more years, he could be something alone the lines of Vlasic
Honestly I'm most choked we didn't get Sanheim. I would of trade up to get him IMO.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:02 PM
Gillies32
Bennett=Gilmour

we also gott Russell and Colborne with our 4th & 5th. We already have 3 NHLers plus good chance 1 is a top 6 player

Gillies32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:22 PM
DoubleJ96

I voted B, I liked our picks

The Bennett pick speaks for itself. I agree with a post from above that we needed a goalie prospect in junior. Now we have one in 3 levels of development. Hunter Smith with be interesting to see how he develops with that big frame and I don't think he would have been available much later. That Swedish defenceman was rated a lot higher on some rankings so he could become something down the road.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
ForeverFlameFan

Drafted a franchise center
We get a player in Bennett who does everything Monahan doesn't do. Could have easily been the #1 pick (all 4 of them could have). Really glad that Bennett was the guy picked.

First team to draft a goalie
I think this plays a huge role in the draft, picking a goalie with our 34th OA. This made other teams pick goalies, with the Canucks at #36, 'Canes at #37, Caps at #39, and then a late one at #59 by the Rangers. Imo, that's how we were able to get a good pick with Smith at #54, pretty sure other teams could have used the guy too.

Drafted 2 RW's
Get a big guy and address our poor RW depth with an additional RWer in the 7th round. Don't know much about Carroll, but his stats look pretty good for a 7th rounder. Smith is big, we need big. He looks like a solid 3rd line RWer.

Drafted 2 D's
Only downside is no right handed D, but we still get a steal with Anaheim's pick in Ollas Mattson. Hickey apparently is a Brodie 2.0, so I'll trust our scouting staff on finding those gems. Only time will tell if that's true.

I give us a solid B+.

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:08 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
We get a player in Bennett who does everything Monahan doesn't do. Could have easily been the #1 pick (all 4 of them could have). Really glad that Bennett was the guy picked.

I think this plays a huge role in the draft, picking a goalie with our 34th OA. This made other teams pick goalies, with the Canucks at #36, 'Canes at #37, Caps at #39, and then a late one at #59 by the Rangers. Imo, that's how we were able to get a good pick with Smith at #54, pretty sure other teams could have used the guy too.

Drafted 2 RW's
Get a big guy and address our poor RW depth with an additional RWer in the 7th round. Don't know much about Carroll, but his stats look pretty good for a 7th rounder. Smith is big, we need big. He looks like a solid 3rd line RWer.

Drafted 2 D's
Only downside is no right handed D, but we still get a steal with Anaheim's pick in Ollas Mattson. Hickey apparently is a Brodie 2.0, so I'll trust our scouting staff on finding those gems. Only time will tell if that's true.

I give us a solid B+.
This assessment gets my vote. B+, I'm not blown away. But I'm also a fan of the bollig trade, so yeah solid day IMO.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:38 PM
JulianHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post

Drafted 2 RW's

Drafted 2 D's

I give us a solid B+.
Austin Carrol is listed on the Flames site as a LW that shoots right and Hunter Smith a RW that shoots left.

Smith sounds like a good pick, big guy that's being compared to John LeClair.

All these picks are right at 6' and the current average weight is 200lbs, that's good.

I also liked how the Flames picked an American in Carrol and a Swede in Adam Ollas-Mattsson.

Mason McDonald could turn out to be a great pick since he's from The QMJHL and we all know how many good goalies have come out of that league.

The only one I'm unsure about is Brandon Hickey from the AJHL, but he's a defenseman so who knows how he will turn out.

I agree, I think the Flames did well in this draft.

JulianHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Adirondack Flames

I shall rate them, I have nothing better to do.

Sam 'Huggies' Bennett - A+
Clearly he was the BPA. They could not have drafted a better player at that time. I think he will be a high end #2/low end #1 centre. I think the odds of him being a "franchise" centre are pretty slim.
Mason McDonald - B
I wanted Demko with this pick, but after finding out Demko needs two hip surgeries I would have gone with McDonald too. They were ranked pretty closely and he could easily be the best goaltender out of this draft and be our future #1. But there is always inherent risk drafting a goalie this high.
Hunter Smith - B-
I am a bit concerned that he was passed over in his first draft year, but all in all I had him ranked about 3rd with the guys available at that time.
Brandon Hickey - C
Hickey is a project, that is for sure. He sounds like a sold defensive defenseman with decent size. I like that he is going to a good hockey program at BU who I think will have a shot at a national championship if Eichel sticks around for more than just 1 year.
The 4 Traded Picks - A
We traded Pittsburgh's 3rd for Bollig, our 4th for Joe Colbone, our 5th for Kris Russell and our 6th for Lane MacDermid. I liked all the the trades when they occurred and believe 3/4 are a win still, with the MacDermid deal being an unfortunate turn but in the end it's just a 6th.
Adam Ollas Mattson - A+
I love everything I hear about this pick. Sounds like he was rated much higher by one of the scouting services. I like that he is not yet 18 and already 6'4, 216lbs, this kid could conceivable grow to 6'5 or 6'6 and 230lbs. Sounds like his skating is his weakest point but is adequate. I look forward to him joining the baby Flames in 2016-17.
Austin Carroll -C
As with any 7th round pick I have no expectations of this pick. I also would not look at his numbers this year to determine anything as he is already 20. But as an invitee to development camp last year I like to think Burke and Conroy got a decent feel for the kid. I think Carroll's shot at the NHL will come as a tough guy, that relies on his face punching to reach the show. As a 20 year old it will be interesting to see if he returns to the WHL as an overage player, or goes straight to the AHL. I am not completely sure but I do not believe the Flames will have 2 years to sign him as they do other prospects.
Overall Grade - B+
All in all I am pretty pleased. I think we did fantastic with grabbing Huggies and AOM. I think McDonald & Smith will be good picks and I think Hickey & Carroll will be okay picks.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote