HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jani Rita

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 10:15 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Jani Rita

Aside from last years playoffs, Jani Rita actually showed a marked improvement over his first season in the AHL.

I mean, he played 12 less game, scored 8 more points, and finished +22 higher than in his rookie season. I still don't think he is anywhere near the point of regressing, and I wouldn't be so quick to package him off just yet.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Aside from last years playoffs, Jani Rita actually showed a marked improvement over his first season in the AHL.

I mean, he played 12 less game, scored 8 more points, and finished +22 higher than in his rookie season. I still don't think he is anywhere near the point of regressing, and I wouldn't be so quick to package him off just yet.
Totally agree. Imagine what first line minutes along with a leadership role in TO will do for him. Man, I hope they keep him.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:25 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Totally agree. Imagine what first line minutes along with a leadership role in TO will do for him. Man, I hope they keep him.
I second that!

Old
10-07-2003, 10:27 AM
serum114

I think the biggest key when looking at last year's numbers is that the Bulldogs were STACKED. With the best of the best from both the Habs and the Oilers—two teams with top notch prospect depth—he saw a lot more time on the 3rd line and a lot less time on the PP.

I think through 20-30 games this season (with 1st line and top PP unit minutes) he will be putting up numbers that will force Lowe to seriously consider trading someone on the big club to make room for him.

My 2 cents...

Old
10-07-2003, 11:42 AM
barto

Yeah, I hope he uses this as motivation to work hard and likely get played in all kinds of situations with all kinds of ice time, and shows the organization that he really wants to earn a spot in the NHL (with the Oilers, hopefully!! ). Chimera had to go through that where he was the final cut right near the season opener and took it hard, but kept a good attitude, worked hard, and was later rewarded with a one-way contract.

I like our depth at forward right now, for sure, but we'll see if Lowe gives up any of that depth in a trade (most likely involving Comrie), like a package deal.

Bart

Old
10-07-2003, 11:54 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Yeah, I hope he uses this as motivation to work hard and likely get played in all kinds of situations with all kinds of ice time, and shows the organization that he really wants to earn a spot in the NHL (with the Oilers, hopefully!! ). Chimera had to go through that where he was the final cut right near the season opener and took it hard, but kept a good attitude, worked hard, and was later rewarded with a one-way contract.

I like our depth at forward right now, for sure, but we'll see if Lowe gives up any of that depth in a trade (most likely involving Comrie), like a package deal.

Bart
With all of the lip service that Lowe and MacT give towards "developing our own superstar because we can't afford to trade for one"... I sure hope they follow through and keep guys around who have the raw skill of a Rita.

On one hand, I don't like all the free passes with the one-way contracts and such, but in another respect I think it shows a lot of the young guys that giving your all in the system really means something. It should be clear to Rita and Salmo that if they perform well in Toronto, they can almost guarantee they'll be in the show (its not just about the training camp). Torres, Conklin, Pisani, and Chimera are all examples of this during Lowe's tenure.

Can you think of one player who was given similar treatment under Sather? Maybe that's why some of the talent under his regime never fully developed.

Old
10-07-2003, 12:02 PM
PigeonCamera

I'm glad Rita got sent down.

This will give him a chance to improve as a player. In TO he will be the man...and hopefully he'll dominate and waylay some of the "what have you done for me lately" attitudes that are permeating this board and others. I think he's going to go down and force a call-up, and then hopefully we can stop using him as a throw-in for every Comrie/Smith/InsertPlayerNameHere proposal.

This guy is a major talent; he just has more to learn. He's got way too much skill to toss aside.

Old
10-07-2003, 01:26 PM
theoil

I keep seeing the AHL player with the most potential versus the guy that was in training camp and I am totally confused. This is very distressful for me because I am often wrong but rarely confused. I have changed my mind, however, and now think that we do not trade Rita. That changes by about Christmas though as I don't think we can re-sign him at the end of the year if he isn't guaranteed a one-way also.

Closed Thread